Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
We need to step up on the space program front, so we can finally and totally gently caress this gay earth and everybody in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cleretic posted:

We need to step up on the space program front, so we can finally and totally gently caress this gay earth and everybody in it.

We can have our own 9 Dash Line... IN SPACE

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
we should just put 9 dashes around Antarctica and wait 20 years

like who are we going to have to fight for it? South Africa? Argentina? pussies the lot of them

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
given our level of diplomatic competence we'd end up with 9 daeshes

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Birdstrike posted:

given our level of diplomatic competence we'd end up with 9 daeshes

:golfclap:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

thatbastardken posted:

like who are we going to have to fight for it? South Africa? Argentina? pussies the lot of them

Antarctica always has been and always will be Australian territory. Argentina can't even take the Falklands, what chance do they have there?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cleretic posted:

lol if you think we are ever going to space. We can't create closed systems in space and humans aren't equipped to handle it. Earth's getting hosed with no hope of escape.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tokamak posted:

lol if you think we are ever going to space. We can't create closed systems in space and humans aren't equipped to handle it. Earth's getting hosed with no hope of escape.

Not with THAT attitude we're not.

Damnit don't bring down my 'space is rad and we should go there' states :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We should all be so lucky as to die in the cold void of space

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
shoot for the moon, and maybe you'll burn up on the launchpad.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

shoot for the moon, and maybe you'll burn up in London.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

quote:

the spectacular gains we have made over recent decades through open markets and free trade

Serious question, what do neoliberals mean when they say this? I hear this line all the time but the only gains I can see over the recent decades are in inequality and grinding growth to zero. Like, when I press for details the best I get is that society hasn't completely imploded so maybe we should just keep on trucking and not mess with poo poo too much.

Help me help my dumb bad Liberal friends.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Serious question, what do neoliberals mean when they say this? I hear this line all the time but the only gains I can see over the recent decades are in inequality and grinding growth to zero. Like, when I press for details the best I get is that society hasn't completely imploded so maybe we should just keep on trucking and not mess with poo poo too much.

Cheaper imports.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They mean

quote:

the spectacular gains I have made over recent decades through open markets and free trade

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Higher productivity, stagnant wages.

Also we redefined what poverty meant so that we could say that people had been lifted out of poverty through the power of the market.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 17, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The massive increases in GDP? Australia has done very well out of free trade, blaming the problems that occurred simultaneously on free trade is not much different from blaming them on immigrants or the end of the White Australia policy. Increases in inequality aren't caused by trade policy and jacking up tariffs wouldn't reduce inequality.

[edit: I'm talking about free trade as a concept here, which we should be pursuing unilaterally instead of making stupid complicated deals. Those deals are what really appeal to the neoliberals because they allow for further weakening of state power and corresponding increases in corporate power.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 17, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Neoliberalism is broader than just an adherence to free trade policies. HTH.

Endman
May 18, 2010

gently caress you, got mine.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Endman posted:

While it annoys me to say so, we have to rely on America to be the limiting factor. It's really Washington that gets to decide how far this escalates.

Let's hope they don't elect Trump!

Comedy option: send in the UN. TBH I'm just as cynical about Hilary's leadership, the US is just as likely to be a paper tiger as it is a belligerent. Either way, China won't listen. Maybe we have to hope that Vietnam beats them up a bit.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

open24hours posted:

The massive increases in GDP? Australia has done very well out of free trade, blaming the problems that occurred simultaneously on free trade is not much different from blaming them on immigrants or the end of the White Australia policy. Increases in inequality aren't caused by trade policy and jacking up tariffs wouldn't reduce inequality.

[edit: I'm talking about free trade as a concept here, which we should be pursuing unilaterally instead of making stupid complicated deals. Those deals are what really appeal to the neoliberals because they allow for further weakening of state power and corresponding increases in corporate power.]
If you aren't talking about actual free trade as performed by the Australian economy and the subject of your 'Massive increase in GDP' claim then what the gently caress are you talking about? Here let me try and make it simple for you.

Free trade as it is actually implement is a farce and Australia has done very badly out of it. I could have sworn I made an effort post about this not long ago.

Cartoon posted:

News just in!!! FTAs are poo poo and we should stop signing them.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-15/verrender-fta-experience-backs-up-morrisons-ausgrid-decision/7734704

This is getting to be too depressing and relentless.
If you care about the issue pay special attention to: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/the-elections-other-big-lie-the-coalition-hasnt-delivered-export-agreements-20160705-gpzcx3.html

Now you can attempt the spirited back pedal about these aren't actually free trade deals (a point made in both the articles linked) but that makes your original claim look pretty loving incoherent (and I use the word advisedly). The only way your 'ideal' free trade agreements would work (in theory) is if there was an even playing field inside the linked trading nations. As it stands Australia sacrificed it's entire manufacturing sector on the altar of free trade when most of our trading partners subsidise their's massively. Removing tarrifs on ALL US imports while they maintained most of theirs on our exports and continue to massively subsidise their agricultural sector. et loving cetera.

Oh oh free trade would work if it wasn't for that pesky reality that we find ourselves in. gently caress all the way off.

In response to the original question open markets are equally a fantasy and real world fallacy. Economist are the most deluded man children of the whole gaggle and spout rubbish non stop once prompted.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

open24hours posted:

Antarctica always has been and always will be Australian territory. Argentina can't even take the Falklands, what chance do they have there?

Argentina couldn't even take out 3 near geriatric car show presenters.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cartoon posted:

If you aren't talking about actual free trade as performed by the Australian economy and the subject of your 'Massive increase in GDP' claim then what the gently caress are you talking about? Here let me try and make it simple for you.

Free trade as it is actually implement is a farce and Australia has done very badly out of it. I could have sworn I made an effort post about this not long ago.
If you care about the issue pay special attention to: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/the-elections-other-big-lie-the-coalition-hasnt-delivered-export-agreements-20160705-gpzcx3.html

Now you can attempt the spirited back pedal about these aren't actually free trade deals (a point made in both the articles linked) but that makes your original claim look pretty loving incoherent (and I use the word advisedly). The only way your 'ideal' free trade agreements would work (in theory) is if there was an even playing field inside the linked trading nations. As it stands Australia sacrificed it's entire manufacturing sector on the altar of free trade when most of our trading partners subsidise their's massively. Removing tarrifs on ALL US imports while they maintained most of theirs on our exports and continue to massively subsidise their agricultural sector. et loving cetera.

Oh oh free trade would work if it wasn't for that pesky reality that we find ourselves in. gently caress all the way off.

In response to the original question open markets are equally a fantasy and real world fallacy. Economist are the most deluded man children of the whole gaggle and spout rubbish non stop once prompted.

Those graphs don't show what you think they show. The Australian economy is slightly more complex than that.

Australia's manufacturing sector declined because it wasn't very good and couldn't produce competitive products without protection. One of the main reasons for this is that it developed in a protected economy and was composed of rent seekers who lobbied government instead of improving their products.

I don't know why you're bothering to point out the flaws in various FTAs, as it doesn't refute anything I've said.

Why not provide a counterfactual? What countries have retained protectionist policies and are doing better than we are because of those policies?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
wish they'd put a tariff on cartoon's posts

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

they're closing manus

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Birdstrike posted:

wish they'd put a tariff on cartoon's posts

noice

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BBJoey posted:

they're closing manus

wish you'd close your account.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hell, same

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

thatbastardken posted:

Err....we did that. Australia claimed large slabs of ice and it's not recognized by many countries. Only four other states recognise Australia's claim to sovereignty in Antarctica 'cording to Wikipedia.

TIL that Australia claims an area called Kaiser Wilhelm II Land. Huh. That should put that on the test to become an Australian.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

open24hours posted:

Those graphs don't show what you think they show. The Australian economy is slightly more complex than that.

Australia's manufacturing sector declined because it wasn't very good and couldn't produce competitive products without protection. One of the main reasons for this is that it developed in a protected economy and was composed of rent seekers who lobbied government instead of improving their products.

I don't know why you're bothering to point out the flaws in various FTAs, as it doesn't refute anything I've said.

Why not provide a counterfactual? What countries have retained protectionist policies and are doing better than we are because of those policies?
I think they show more than you allow. Now given that you haven't defended your (indefencible) position re Free trade we'll accept that your original claim was spurious. If you want a 'counterfactual', I already cited one. The US. Despite their massive recent decline due to the GFC they still seem to be doing OK while maintaining a massively protected economy full of subsidised industry.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gdp

Compared to

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/australia/gdp

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Are you sure you linked to the right thing? I can think of a few reasons a country with over 300 million people might have a larger GDP than one with 24 million that aren't related to trade policy.

This might be what you're looking for, but not only is Australia performing better, even if it wasn't it wouldn't add anything to your argument.
https://www.google.com.au/publicdat...dl=en&ind=false

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thank loving god. One camp down, one to go.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Thank loving god. One camp down, one to go.

all it means is they'll be involuntarily forced into the manus community where they'll have exactly zero support from the PNG or Australian governments, and they'll all be murdered before the year's out :nutshot:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Here is a free noice for a good home (not in Australia though)

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

open24hours posted:

What countries have retained protectionist policies and are doing better than we are because of those policies?

Manufacturing declined across the West because it was far, far cheaper to outsource it. If anything quality has dropped, we just don't mind replacing things more often as they're comparably cheap. Or, in the case of certain big name brands, we just accept they have a shelf life of a couple of years before upgrading.

The US has retained and implemented protectionist policies.

Edit: beaten

Nibbles! fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 17, 2016

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

open24hours posted:

They were also competing against manufacturers in economies that were/are still protected by tariffs, and also had access to cheap government loans.

Unilaterally getting rid of tariffs seems a bit dumb if you're the first one to do it, it's a massive freebie to everyone else.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 17, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

How good you are at manufacturing is measured by how many people want to buy your products. It doesn't matter if you can make a washing machine that lasts for 100 years if no one is interested.

The question wasn't if anyone had retained protectionist policies, it was whether they were doing better because of protectionist policies.

Mr Chips posted:

They were also competing against manufacturers in economies that were/are still protected by tariffs, and also had access to cheap government loans.

Unilaterally getting rid of tariffs seems a bit dumb if you're the first one to do it, it's a massive freebie to everyone else.

There's decent evidence that unilaterally reducing tariffs has been successful in the past. Seemed to work for New Zealand.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 17, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

open24hours posted:

Are you sure you linked to the right thing? I can think of a few reasons a country with over 300 million people might have a larger GDP than one with 24 million that aren't related to trade policy.

This might be what you're looking for, but not only is Australia performing better, even if it wasn't it wouldn't add anything to your argument.
https://www.google.com.au/publicdat...dl=en&ind=false
Are you sincerely this dense?

One graph is going up. One is going down.

The US one is going up. The Australian one is going down.

Population has nothing to do with it, however it does point to how utterly disingenuous your required task was.

quote:

What countries have retained protectionist policies and are doing better than we are because of those policies.

Thanks for so elegantly pointing that out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BBJoey posted:

all it means is they'll be involuntarily forced into the manus community where they'll have exactly zero support from the PNG or Australian governments, and they'll all be murdered before the year's out :nutshot:

Baby steps. Its not as if you can stop systematically violating human rights and dignity on a massive industrial basis overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
tariffs being bad for the economy is high school level economics

I've forgotten how the formulae work so I'm just going to post this picture proving that cartoon is deadweight loss on this topic

owned, bitch

• Locked thread