Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

origami posted:

Uh tell the owner/coach right now - don't worry about his feelings jfc

seconding this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Agreed its a nightmare if that starts going around a gym, if the dude has that big of a patch he needs to be gone for a while and learn some hygiene

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That poo poo can spread really quick and become resistant to otc meds. Don't gently caress around with leaving dumb notes.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Don't gently caress around with leaving dumb notes.

This is good advice in all aspects of life.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That poo poo can spread really quick and become resistant to otc meds. Don't gently caress around with leaving dumb notes.

Yeah, that's a situation where I'm amazed someone wouldn't immediately stop the workout and discuss it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The guest instructor last week had some sort of rash on his leg and I didn't want to be like uhhhh is that ringworm? and I've been paranoid as gently caress ever since

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I already brought it up with the instructor concerning another issue he had with hygiene in the past only it seems like it didn't do poo poo considering the current state of the kid's crotch. It goes without saying that I was already planning on going to see the instructor again.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

as the kid rubbed his diseased necrotic flesh all over my face and body, I knew that I had to draft up blueprints for the intricate rube goldberg device that would deliver to him a map leading to a key leading to a treasure chest containing a hastily scrawled note reading 'p-p-please consider h-hygene'

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Odddzy posted:

Do most people here have one person or more they mostly refuse to roll with for reasons other than fear of getting injured?

I'd avoid rolling with scab crotch dudes, thugs, guys that toe hold your toes, dudes with misshapen crotches that can't wear cups and dudes that write passive aggressive notes to me.

I think that covers most bases for this thread.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

origami posted:

I'd avoid rolling with scab crotch dudes, thugs, guys that toe hold your toes, dudes with misshapen crotches that can't wear cups and dudes that write passive aggressive notes to me.

Why not toe hold the toes? Not me, asking for a friend. :smith:

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

origami posted:

lol.

KildarX posted:

Why not toe hold the toes? Not me, asking for a friend. :smith:

iirc the thread once got into an argument about if Toeholds were a "real" submission or only something that works on white belts, and it turned out the point of contention was that one guy thought a toe hold meant like youre actually holding the guys toes and breaking them off

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

as the kid rubbed his diseased necrotic flesh all over my face and body, I knew that I had to draft up blueprints for the intricate rube goldberg device that would deliver to him a map leading to a key leading to a treasure chest containing a hastily scrawled note reading 'p-p-please consider h-hygene'

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

manyak posted:

iirc the thread once got into an argument about if Toeholds were a "real" submission or only something that works on white belts, and it turned out the point of contention was that one guy thought a toe hold meant like youre actually holding the guys toes and breaking them off

That's cool, lol.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
In our gym, we have no issue with kicking guys off the mat for having skin infections or having unwashed gis and the instructors absolutely have our backs on this. Nothing worse than the guy who thinks that he can just tape up a massive lesion.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

origami posted:

Dude, this is like the second time you're being a dick to me in about as many weeks, i'd appreciate it if you could knock it off with the snarky comments.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 17, 2016

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Odddzy posted:

Dude, this is like the second time you're being a dick to me in about as many weeks, i'd appreciate it if you could knock it off with the snarky comments.

Where was I a dick to you? You can write me a private note if you want.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

origami posted:

Where was I a dick to you? You can write me a private note if you want.

I would but I dont have Platinum. I'm talking about the post I did concerning the Mike/danaher thing that happened. Not looking to make a Big deal about that but it got to be annoying.

On the ringworm issue, Believe me, there's nothing id rather have happen than seeing the guy out and treated but I can't do more than go back to the instructor AGAIN. I'm already frustrated about the fact I brought it up to the instructor in the past and the guy didn't do poo poo to clean up his act so whatever. I'm kinda disappointed that it kinda falls in my lap again to go and see a higher up about tha when I would've imagined someone else has probably seen the horror.

Anyhow, enough ranting and No hard feelings.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That poo poo is why I almost always have long sleeve rashguard and long sleeve spats, and a shower with expensive soaps right after I roll, and/or use benzo wipes if I can't get directly to a shower for any reason.

Because that poo poo is in your mats now.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You don't need the expensive soap.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Wanna roll (check one)

[ ] y
[ ] n

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
*nods solemnly then looks down at the mats because neither one of us really wants to roll with each other*

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
There's non-infectious stuff that can look like ringworm at first glance. So it's probably a good idea to talk to the guy first like an adult would instead of going to an internet message board to brainstorm ideas about it.

Even still the guy should be wearing leggings or something at least. Irritated skin is more prone to infection.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Now I feel bad for laughing at the origami posts :smith:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
There are very few conditions that truly look like ringworm but aren't that you will actually see on the mats. There are far more people willing to lie about having ringworm and saying stuff like "it is eczema" or "it's a burn" or "I'm sure it not ringworm." I have even had guys claim it is fine if taped up. If the instructor doesn't address it, this leaves Odddzy in a dilemma. Odddzy can refuse to roll with the guy but meanwhile he is rubbing his infected body on his training partners and mats. I've been around and am senior enough I can just tell someone to get the gently caress off the mats but Odddzy isn't. I can't tell you the number of visitors we've had where they won't even acknowledge an obvious infection until they are literally told to leave. Why is the onus on Odddzy to be polite to a guy who obviously doesn't care about the health and well being of his teammates.

If you come into my house and poo poo on my floor, we're not having a conversation "like an adult." You are getting kicked out. Someone with an obvious and serious infection is doing exactly this.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 17, 2016

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

My school has two locations and one is so much cleaner than the other. I go to dirty one two days a week and the clean one three days a week. At the dirty one 80% of the people I've seen go to the bathroom don't wear shoes or flipflops, even though the bathroom has literal piss on the floor. Then they step right on the mat. I watched this free-trial guy walk into the bathroom barefoot then outside on the street to smoke a cigarette barefoot and then back on the mat. As much as I have been enjoying BJJ, the atmosphere I train in feels like it's missing the """martial art""" piece. Where I train Judo everyone cleans the mats on our way out. The place is spotless, new players are taught about feet hygiene.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Freestyle wrestling in the Olympics starts today. Women go today and tomorrow and Men Friday-Sunday.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You don't need the expensive soap.

I don't get the really stupid expensive "Grappling" ones that are $6/bar. I just get all-natural hippie soaps with identical ingredients that are $2/bar.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I did talk to the guy a few months back about a nail infection he had on his foot that was basically ringworm infected nail. He told me it wasn't contagious and that he puts nail polish on it. not sure if that does anything but whatever. I still talked to the instructor about that but the guy kept showing up to school so I imagine the instructor thought it wasn't a big deal at the time. The reason why some might think i'm taking a passive-agressive route this time is because the very direct ''you've got ringowrm there eh man? you should probably take care of it and come on the mats after'' didn't do poo poo.

I thought I did mention I talked to the guy in my past post but rereading myself I realized I didn't.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Yuns posted:

There are very few conditions that truly look like ringworm but aren't that you will actually see on the mats. There are far more people willing to lie about having ringworm and saying stuff like "it is eczema" or "it's a burn" or "I'm sure it not ringworm." I have even had guys claim it is fine if taped up. If the instructor doesn't address it, this leaves Odddzy in a dilemma. Odddzy can refuse to roll with the guy but meanwhile he is rubbing his infected body on his training partners and mats. I've been around and am senior enough I can just tell someone to get the gently caress off the mats but Odddzy isn't. I can't tell you the number of visitors we've had where they won't even acknowledge an obvious infection until they are literally told to leave. Why is the onus on Odddzy to be polite to a guy who obviously doesn't care about the health and well being of his teammates.

If you come into my house and poo poo on my floor, we're not having a conversation "like an adult." You are getting kicked out. Someone with an obvious and serious infection is doing exactly this.

I once thought I had ringworm and stayed out for like almost a month trying to treat it. Finally went to a doctor b/c the OTC stuff wasn't working and I was getting worried. It was eczema.

Still flairs up from time to time, always the exact same spot and the exact same shape. Every so often I someone looks at me bugged eyed if they notice but I'm generally clean everywhere else so maybe they believe me.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I've seen that happen to 2 people who had what turned out to be eczema but had thought it was ringworm initially. But in each case they got doctor clearance just like you Xguard86.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The owner of the gym flat out told me to not come back in until it was healed when I get a dime size ringworm spot on my back from rolling. Since then I'm healed up and back in, but I haven't seen the people I was rolling with before. I'm guessing that he gave them a come to jesus talk and told them to come back when your poo poo is cleared up. No one likes that poo poo and all of the instructors seem pretty quick to stop that poo poo the moment it shows up.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
From all these stories I'm assuming my gym is one of the cleaner ones but I'm wondering how when being clean is such a low bar. The mats are cleaned daily, everyone showers, everyone washes their gi each time, and no one steps in piss. Shouldn't that be the standard at every gym?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

We have 4 mats and 15+ classes a day. We wash the mats twice a day but it is still challenging to keep everything clean with that kind of schedule. We also require clean gis and trimmed nails and have showers but despite all that you can't keep everything perfectly clean and there are infections from time to time.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Nothing worse than being caught in a guillotine and that ammonia-esque scent of your partners dirty shirt causing you to tap.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

lemonslol posted:

Nothing worse than being caught in a guillotine and that ammonia-esque scent of your partners dirty shirt causing you to tap.

Except if it's a triangle...

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Fuuuccck, Borroughs lost in the quarters an Dennis got teched. I think Cox will do well, and Synder and Tervel should go far. Bummer about Borroughs, though.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brown belt in my beginners class said I'm no longer the worst guy there! Progress!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

soy posted:

Brown belt in my beginners class said I'm no longer the worst guy there! Progress!

I consider that notable progression just like a belt colour, so, congrats

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

soy posted:

I remember the day a guy started about seven months after me and stayed on, and I was officially no longer the spazziest retard white belt on the mats. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

soy posted:

Good stuff. For me, this repeats at each belt. Each time I was promoted I thought "uh oh, now I'm the worst (blue|purple) belt in the room." I actually felt better about the promotions of the guys behind me than my own. "Ah ha! now there are dudes at my rank that I can beat up! I feel legit now!"