Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

zolthorg posted:

no video game console developer would ever actively waste its loving time implementing an sli configuration

let me just actively expose the combined cpu gpu chip to system level outside attacks through a direct port that requires no warranty stickers to be removed to even access

no the patent they are referring to that brings up this question is some kind of network/cluster compute thing, its not sli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

The only ones I'd say were any good are 3 and 8, maybe 7 too

Chapter 7's setup and environments are super cool, and it had a nice joke on it's theme (where you go when you Game Over), the only bad thing was the climb at the end that could get difficult but the boss itself was worth it.

But even still, you're not giving SPM it's credit and hyperbolizing things too much. Chapter 2 was actually really neat with Mimi's tricks, especially near the end, and the working puzzle bit was pretty fun to get through the secrets when you realize you're not actually supposed to Jump/Run your way to a million. Chapter 6 is really neat not only because of the Samurai/Battle to 100 jokes, but also for it's destroyed world segment (and it's not 5 minutes, it's actually just barely over 1 minute of walking).

You are right in that Chapter 4 and 5 are straight up bad, but the rest of the game was pretty much fine, full of their normal creative ideas and not too obnoxious unless you don't like SPM's super long dialogue.

BillmasterCozb posted:

the Twilight Princess part of TTYD was boring

Twilight Town was actually cool

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Ventana posted:

Twilight Town was actually cool

Yeah being Roxas was a cool twist

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
SPM also had some really fun exploratory stuff that expanded the light metroidvania-isms from the previous games by combining the pixls and characters and 3D switching. The flipside/flopside stuff was really really rad, and if you don't think Link Between Worlds borrowed from that implementation of world-switching, you're wrong, because it totally did.

EDIT: also why do paper mario fans call everything by their loving chapter numbers without even specifying which game they mean when they could, you know, use the much more recognizable chapter titles? Like for real.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Kashuno posted:

I wonder if the NX will receive its own terrible kingdom hearts game. Someone should poach the combat and system designers from whatever part of Square Enix makes those, because the fighting and the skill management are the good bits of those games imo.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Is Kingdom Hearts even still going? There were spinoffs like every year and I feel like we've gone a couple now without it which owns

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Red Bones posted:

I wonder if the NX will receive its own terrible kingdom hearts game. Someone should poach the combat and system designers from whatever part of Square Enix makes those, because the fighting and the skill management are the good bits of those games imo.

Have I got some good news for you

EB Games Australia reporting.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DoctorWhat posted:

EDIT: also why do paper mario fans call everything by their loving chapter numbers without even specifying which game they mean when they could, you know, use the much more recognizable chapter titles? Like for real.

because paper mario fans are insane, just like any other fan of a nintendo game series

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Dexo posted:

Have I got some good news for you

EB Games Australia reporting.

*eye twitch*- oh, Australia

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Kashuno posted:

Is Kingdom Hearts even still going? There were spinoffs like every year and I feel like we've gone a couple now without it which owns

KH3 is the new Duke Nukem Forever

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Acne Rain posted:

KH3 is the new Duke Nukem Forever

At least wait for FFXV to come out before you just strip the title away from it

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh? They told yall that Kingdom Hearts wasn't coming for a long while. KH3 isn't DNF until it misses a release date.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DoctorWhat posted:

I can't remember the Chapter names for poo poo, regardless of any video game. If it's divided by Chapters, I'm going to call them by Chapters. At least in phoenix wright people will refer to Cases by the game number first sometimes, but that would get too complicated since SPM also has Chapter divisions as well (5-1, 3-3, etc). I don't see the problem with just simplifying here.

Kashuno posted:

The part where Mario pulls out Two Hammers was pretty awesome too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
EB Games Australia put up a listing for Kingdom Hearts 3 for NX for a hot minute.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SilverSupernova posted:

Blastball's demo is fun and they said they're looking into ideas for both 2D and Prime style games for the series a year or 2 ago.

I'm not sure what I was doing wrong playing that Blast Ball demo, because I hated it and it felt lovely and clunky to play. I was kind of hyped for co-op Metroid until I played that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ventana posted:

I can't remember the Chapter names for poo poo, regardless of any video game. If it's divided by Chapters, I'm going to call them by Chapters. At least in phoenix wright people will refer to Cases by the game number first sometimes, but that would get too complicated since SPM also has Chapter divisions as well (5-1, 3-3, etc). I don't see the problem with just simplifying here.

The part where Mario pulls out Two Hammers was pretty awesome too.

the problem is that the whole past page people have been talking past each other by referring to chapters of games ambiguously. no two people have described the same Chapter Seven

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

saw some federation force gameplay. it kinda looked like monster hunter but you just stand there and shoot laser at the weak point of the boss with your friends. then samus shows up to save you but you can't be her.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DoctorWhat posted:

the problem is that the whole past page people have been talking past each other by referring to chapters of games ambiguously. no two people have described the same Chapter Seven

No one talked about any other Chapter 7 other than SPM's though. Even if you were mixed up in reading the chronology of posts, you could've seen that the same post was talking about SPM's Chapter six immediately before (since only one Chapter six involves the world blowing up). Or anything I said since I guess I reference specific things in each chapter. This is just kind of silly.

(also it'd be crazy if anyone thought TTYD's Chapter 7 was good. It was "Backtrack through every town again" to get to the Moon base, and the Moon+Moon base wasn't good enough to really justify it)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Kashuno posted:

they released one for the web browser just this april stateside

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Tengames posted:

super paper mario has both great and terrible parts while sticker star is just consistently bland.

Its a platformer game with no vertical or horizontal acceleration, enemies and bosses that never change patterns or behavior inbetween multiple hits, a terrible camera, and the platformer has features like being able to float over pits or walk on spikes or whatever... that you have to stop dead in your tracks and thumb through a menu to pull out peach or the appropriate pixl every single time

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

There was a quick menu that took all of 3 seconds.

The platforming challenge I got from SPM was trying to rack up combo jumps + stylish exp on enemies using the inherent floatiness of the physics.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

zolthorg posted:

Its a platformer game with no vertical or horizontal acceleration, enemies and bosses that never change patterns or behavior inbetween multiple hits, a terrible camera, and the platformer has features like being able to float over pits or walk on spikes or whatever... that you have to stop dead in your tracks and thumb through a menu to pull out peach or the appropriate pixl every single time

really I just liked the art style and being able to switch characters to play as peach, bowser and luigi, and was willing to look past bullshit like sammer kingdom because of it.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I'm actually pretty stoked on this thing. It sounds a little odd from all the rumors, but Nintendo can't really compete with Sony & Xbox in the powerful consoles market anymore and should do something different. I also have a good gaming computer if I really want the best of the best graphics - consoles will never come close to PC power. Ninty also does some pretty bad-rear end mobile stuff & combining all their development into one unit that can be both a home console & mobile console could help get a lot more titles out. The biggest hope I have is that they use the Tegra X2 instead of the rumors I've heard with the X1. Just would make it have a much longer shelf life and up the performance pretty incredibly (so I'd assume).

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

InFlames235 posted:

I'm actually pretty stoked on this thing. It sounds a little odd from all the rumors, but Nintendo can't really compete with Sony & Xbox in the powerful consoles market anymore and should do something different. I also have a good gaming computer if I really want the best of the best graphics - consoles will never come close to PC power. Ninty also does some pretty bad-rear end mobile stuff & combining all their development into one unit that can be both a home console & mobile console could help get a lot more titles out. The biggest hope I have is that they use the Tegra X2 instead of the rumors I've heard with the X1. Just would make it have a much longer shelf life and up the performance pretty incredibly (so I'd assume).

Honestly going all-in on the handheld strategy was always going to be the way Nintendo "won" in a world dominated by Xboxes and Playstations. It's the one market where nobody's been able to touch them.

The only reason they waited so long to do so is because the tech has only just gotten to the point where it's feasible. (specifically regarding solid state storage cost-efficiency catching up to optical discs and their TV hookup options)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What does winning mean for nx though? Recapturing wii dominance isnt going to happen on a portable with cell phones owning casual players.

They'll do well to transition their current audience from 3ds and wiiu and regaining the segment of the console gamer market they lost after 2010 or so when the writing was on the wall for motion control.

I think that would be something that nintendo would consider very successful.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

What does winning mean for nx though? Recapturing wii dominance isnt going to happen on a portable with cell phones owning casual players.

They'll do well to transition their current audience from 3ds and wiiu and regaining the segment of the console gamer market they lost after 2010 or so when the writing was on the wall for motion control.

I think that would be something that nintendo would consider very successful.

Because its a single screen with controller attachments aka a Cellphone. Thats why Nintendo has to announce it in September :B

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was thinking about how I would feel if Nintendo eventually got out of the hardware scene and focused on software for other platforms, as hard is that may be to imagine. Honestly, I can't feel strongly about it either way. I would be very sad if Mario platformers went away, because I've always loved those the most, but the thought of playing Even Newer Super Mario on the PlayStation 6 neither infuriates me nor excites me. I just want to keep playing Mario games.

InFlames235 posted:

The way things are going these days, I would not surprised in the slightest if they went with the X1 and then, a year or two later, they came out with the NX+ that had an X2 and a few unique games. I have an original 3DS XL and like it very much, but I don't intend to upgrade to a "New" one. I also have a PS4, but I have no intention of upgrading to that incremental system either. This half-generation systems nonsense is starting to get on my plums.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
People complain about whatever niche have of Nintendo they love is not being made currently. Will if they went third party you could say goodbye to all of them. It would just be Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Kirby from now till the end of time. Smaller more quirky games would no longer be worth the risk.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
They already stopped making F-Zero, Metroid, Star Fox, etc. so no big loss.
(and no Zelda on WiiU most likely...)

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

~Coxy posted:

They already stopped making F-Zero, Metroid, Star Fox, etc. so no big loss.
(and no Zelda on WiiU most likely...)

2 of those got/are getting releases this year. And yes, Federation Force counts.

And Breath of the Wild is still going to be on the Wii U.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
poo poo like pushmo, rhythm heaven, box boy, experimental stuff, would most likely be gone.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

poo poo like pushmo, rhythm heaven, box boy, experimental stuff, would most likely be gone.

they'd be on phones and have f2p poo poo in them

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Ventana posted:

2 of those got/are getting releases this year. And yes, Federation Force counts.

Nintendo didn't make Star Fox, Platinum did, and it was bad*.

Federation Force doesn't count.

(*there have been two good Star Fox games, so Platinum was pretty much shooting for par there.)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nintendo licensing out the properties they can't make themselves is smart. starfox was too conservative in planning and too reliant on the gamepad gimmick but those were likely due to nintendo stipulation more than platinum.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Soul Glo posted:

Nintendo didn't make Star Fox, Platinum did, and it was bad*.

Federation Force doesn't count.

(*there have been two good Star Fox games, so Platinum was pretty much shooting for par there.)

but why doesn't it count, it even has samus in it

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hmm a first party Metroid game with Metroid in the title made by the director of the prime series doesn't count because...

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

greatn posted:

Hmm a first party Metroid game with Metroid in the title made by the director of the prime series doesn't count because...

because you don't play as samus.

but who cares about samus, i want to play as Anthony

edit: Hell, this game is in the same boat as Metal Gear Solid 2, where people whined and bitched about how they couldn't play as Snake

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 17, 2016

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

greatn posted:

People complain about whatever niche have of Nintendo they love is not being made currently. Will if they went third party you could say goodbye to all of them. It would just be Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Kirby from now till the end of time. Smaller more quirky games would no longer be worth the risk.

Eh... would the money they would lose on licensing fees/hardware/accessories really be more than the potential profit of a console base that is 5x greater than the Wii U? That's not even counting mobile.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

greatn posted:

You're right, when people asked for a new Metroid game, they certainly meant a FPS on the 3DS where the only thing you explore is the options screen for a better control scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

JustJeff88 posted:

The way things are going these days, I would not surprised in the slightest if they went with the X1 and then, a year or two later, they came out with the NX+ that had an X2 and a few unique games. I have an original 3DS XL and like it very much, but I don't intend to upgrade to a "New" one. I also have a PS4, but I have no intention of upgrading to that incremental system either. This half-generation systems nonsense is starting to get on my plums.

Ya, I mean it's typical of Nintendo to go with the less power option but the reason I feel like it'll be the X2 is due to Breath of the Wild. They've said that Breath of the Wild will be the same experience on the NX & Wii U - graphically and all. I can't imagine the X1 could run Breath of the Wild to the same level as the Wii U but the X2 probably could pretty easily.

• Locked thread