Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Anyone here listening to the Alien Minute podcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

As I think about it, Bay's movies seem more similar to Tony Scott than Ridley; a lot of use of borderline blown-out, "hyper-real" lighting and contrast, frenetic editing to convey action.

Yeah Bay took basically everything from Tony Scott that wasn't nailed down.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

General Battuta posted:

Ridley Scott is a weird director. Does he have a style? The Coen Brothers have a style, PT Anderson has a style, the Equilibrium guy has an awful but distinctive style. Ridley Scott made some of the most iconic movies in science fiction but I don't know what. Ridley Scott movie looks like. Maybe that's a cool and good thing.

Are you for real? I swear Ridley Scott movies are some of the most recognizable on the planet. I'll admit I'd have a hard time really describing his aesthetic aside from maybe "looks like a layer of gloss has been applied to the screen" but I'm legit dumbfounded at questioning whether Ridley Scott of all people has a style.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pretty sure there was a poster earlier who was asking about similar themes of humanity and questions of self-identity through Ridley's movies and they completely blanked on Blade Runner, so questions like that are a step up actually.

Also, as far as intricate set design, Hannibal utilized every inch of Venice Florence (the scene at the opera, holy poo poo), American Gangster was a period piece which Ridley went into pain staking detail to get that 70s Harlem look right, Body of Lies is supposed to take place in the middle east, but Morrocco and the US are pretty unnoticeable stand-ins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYwv7-YkhKs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOO8Z-FoKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJz6eFgwgkA

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 26, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Legend is too often forgotten when talking about Ridley's typically amazing set design. He realized that no real forest was going to live up to what he had in his mind so he said gently caress it we'll just build one.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Pretty sure there was a poster earlier who was asking about similar themes of humanity and questions of self-identity through Ridley's movies and they completely blanked on Blade Runner, so questions like that are a step up actually.

Also, as far as intricate set design, Hannibal utilized every inch of Venice (the scene at the opera, holy poo poo), American Gangster was a period piece which Ridley went into pain staking detail to get that 70s Harlem look right, Body of Lies is supposed to take place in the middle east, but Morrocco and the US are pretty unnoticeable stand-ins.

Thanks for the correction, it's been a long time since I watched any of those (although I've been meaning to go back and rewatch the three Anthony Hopkins Hannibal Lecter movies).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Thanks for the correction, it's been a long time since I watched any of those (although I've been meaning to go back and rewatch the three Anthony Hopkins Hannibal Lecter movies).

Are you not a fan of Manhunter? If you haven't seen it then you definitely should include it in your Lecter marathon.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Are you not a fan of Manhunter? If you haven't seen it then you definitely should include it in your Lecter marathon.

I've never seen it, and I do want to watch it. I like Brian Cox a lot.

For that matter I've also been meaning to check out the recent Hannibal series since I heard it was good and it's available for streaming now.

I can Hannibal Lecter myself into a coma! :v:

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

Xenomrph posted:

I've never seen it, and I do want to watch it. I like Brian Cox a lot.

For that matter I've also been meaning to check out the recent Hannibal series since I heard it was good and it's available for streaming now.

I can Hannibal Lecter myself into a coma! :v:
Brian Cox isn't even the best part of that movie. Manhunter blew me away. Honestly, it absolutely destroys Red Dragon. William Petersen's take on Will Graham is really strange and mesmerizing to watch, to say nothing of Tom Noonan.

I would consider Manhunter and Silence to be of the same quality but for different reasons.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'll definitely check out Manhunter. Do you guys know off the top of your head if it's available for streaming anywhere? If you don't know, I can just google it when I get home.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't think Manhunter is currently free on any streaming service. I bought the Shout Factory blu ray recently and its fantastic, its my favorite Michael Mann film by a wide margin.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Ridley Scott is a weird director. Does he have a style? The Coen Brothers have a style, PT Anderson has a style, the Equilibrium guy has an awful but distinctive style. Ridley Scott made some of the most iconic movies in science fiction but I don't know what. Ridley Scott movie looks like. Maybe that's a cool and good thing.

Intricate backgrounds, atmospheric lighting, slow-paced storytelling, and long serene takes contrasted with rapid-fire cuts that match a character's emotional state.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah Bay took basically everything from Tony Scott that wasn't nailed down.
...and does everything much much worse.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think Manhunter is currently free on any streaming service. I bought the Shout Factory blu ray recently and its fantastic, its my favorite Michael Mann film by a wide margin.
I'll have to see if I can track down a copy of the bluray for cheap, thanks!

Yaws posted:

...and does everything much much worse.
Strongly disagree. Bay gets poo poo on a lot, often deservedly so, but his "spectacle action" is second to none. He's also the master of making high-speed property damage look completely incredible (the car chases in Bad Boys 2, The Island, The Rock, and TF Dark of the Moon are all fantastic).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I always thought of Scott's trademarks as establishing shots that are a little more naturalistic and less "in your face" than what you see in a lot of other flicks (especially today) but much more detailed. He does both by having an extreme contrast to his lighting. Everything is either gloriously bright, revealing a lot of detail, or almost black, but with enough props/furniture/whatever that you get an immediate picture of what's going on. He also has lots of shots where the scenery naturally builds a "frame" on the sides of what we're looking at. I guess you could put both of those together and say it kinda sorta boils down to his vision for The Duelists which was "make everything look like you're looking at a late baroque (dark but with as single harsh light source) or impressionist painting." Those two aspects of how he did that in his first feature can be found at points in everything he's done imo. But can you really sum that up easily, "his style is it looks like a painting" is pretty vague. But to me that's what stands out even in his movies that at a glance look "plain" like Matchstick Men.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

I'll have to see if I can track down a copy of the bluray for cheap, thanks!

Strongly disagree. Bay gets poo poo on a lot, often deservedly so, but his "spectacle action" is second to none. He's also the master of making high-speed property damage look completely incredible (the car chases in Bad Boys 2, The Island, The Rock, and TF Dark of the Moon are all fantastic).

While I appreciate your rebuttal, I stand firmly by my belief that Bay makes dreck for dullards.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Also, as far as intricate set design, Hannibal utilized every inch of Venice (the scene at the opera, holy poo poo), American Gangster was a period piece which Ridley went into pain staking detail to get that 70s Harlem look right, Body of Lies is supposed to take place in the middle east, but Morrocco and the US are pretty unnoticeable stand-ins.

Hannibal was a book that screamed "I'm only writing this for the movie deal/to retain control of the characters," but the movie brought the book locations to life. It was literally just as I had visualized it in the book, much in the same way that Peter Jackson nailed Rivendell.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yaws posted:

While I appreciate your rebuttal, I stand firmly by my belief that Bay makes dreck for dullards.
Fair enough. :) I definitely feel that even if Bay's movies lack in many areas, there's definitely things he's really good at (and certainly better than Tony Scott in those areas, as much as I like Scott's movies).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'll give Bay this, he did manage to turn it into his own thing. But no Tony Scott, no Bay.

Re: Ridley, I still think Hannibal is pretty underrated.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This pretty well explains Michael Bay technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2THVvshvq0Q

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

We're talking about a 35 year old multimedia franchise about penis rape monsters that has been thoroughly run into the ground and crossed over with superheroes and literally killed and resurrected its main character. If you can't stop and laugh about where the franchise has been and where it's going every once in a while, then I dunno man.

*slowly removes glove from hand, and slaps you across the face with it*

"Pistols at dawn if you please, sir."

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Anyone here listening to the Alien Minute podcast?

This is good stuff, cheers for mentioning it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
As a huge Ridley Scott fan, I guess its embarrassing that I haven't seen The Duelists. It's good right?

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Basebf555 posted:

As a huge Ridley Scott fan, I guess its embarrassing that I haven't seen The Duelists. It's good right?

'I am going to be killed responsibly, on horseback, as a compliment to the cavalry.' :geno:

I liked it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
If nothing else, The Duelists has some sick duels.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's breathtakingly beautiful to look at for a large part of its running time too. It's almost cheating though, they got to film in a lot of the original buildings and estates where, if the story were true, a lot of its events and conversations would have taken place.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

It's breathtakingly beautiful to look at for a large part of its running time too. It's almost cheating though, they got to film in a lot of the original buildings and estates where, if the story were true, a lot of its events and conversations would have taken place.

Any similarity to Barry Lyndon or is that just wishful thinking?

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

You're in luck, The Duellists was heavily influenced by Barry Lyndon.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I will always defend the loooong version nof Kingdom Of Heaven, it is fantastic

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

brocked posted:

It is good. I will always consider Orlando Bloom to be the weakest link in that movie.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

brocked posted:

Oh yeah, it's great. The attitudes of the characters are almost hilariously anachronistic, but that's to be expected as it's a 21st-century secular humanist response to 21st-century sectarian violence using the Crusades as a heavy-handed metaphor and also an excuse for some sick duels.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

It is good. I will always consider Orlando Bloom to be the weakest link in that movie.

He's fine in the first half, where he's just a blacksmith trying to live his life and get over a loss. Its when he ends up as ruler of a whole castle, responsible for a massive siege defense, that I just can't buy him in the role.

He's just so tiny, he always looks like a kid wearing adult size armor.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Orlando Bloom is just a bad actor.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
he's not amazing, but he's done some good work. watch "Zulu" sometime

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he's pretty average, but has turned in some interesting stuff. Not bad for someone who was hired solely for his looks.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I loved him as Johnny Ryall in Fight For Your Right Revisited. Probably his finest work.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I loved him as Johnny Ryall in Fight For Your Right Revisited. Probably his finest work.

At first I thought that said Fight For Your Life and thought they remade that hosed up movie, but with Orlando Bloom.

Trailer's not safe for work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0aKfbm8q0

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Orlando Bloom is just a bad actor.

Have you seen him in Lord of the Rings?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Tenzarin posted:

Have you seen him in Lord of the Rings?

He's awful in that. They only hired him because he looks like a twinky elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Biomute posted:

He's awful in that. They only hired him because he looks like a twinky elf.

Elves also have a very muted, unemotional affect that allows for a mediocre actor be passable in the role.

I say passable, because a great actor can obviously do more with it than just be passable. Kate Blanchette's Galadriel has way more depth than Legolas with like a tenth of the screentime.