Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fnox
May 19, 2013

For clarity's sake we do have operational Domino's Pizza and McDonalds. They don't have fries and it may be the only country to not have fries in its McDonalds but they sell Big Macs just fine. They're also not going away any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A McDonalds without fries is not operational in any sense of the word :colbert:

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
An NGO called Proiuris just released the court of appeals ruling on the Leopoldo Lopez sentence. I haven't had time to read it carefully, but I don't think it contains anything new since the result of the appeal was announced last week.

Anyway, over the course of my studies I've read my fair share of court documents, both from common and civil law jurisdictions. I've got to say that without a doubt, Venezuelan court documents are some of the most bizarre texts that I've ever read. I've translated a bit from page 169 of the appeal decision, in which the court is siding with the testimony provided by one of the prosecution witnesses at trial. Below is my translation, complete with run-on sentences, weirdly-placed commas, and questionable grammar:

quote:

We validate the testimony of citizen MARIANO ALFONSO ALI, who analyzed the speech given by citizen Leopoldo Lopez on his account twiter@LeopoldoLopez [sic] between the first of January of 1014 and the 18th of March of that same year, pointing out several criteria when it comes to the parameters that a leader must take into account at the time that they send out their messages and transmit their speeches, messages that as leaders serve to set standards of behaviour. On that topic, [Ali] indicated that citizen Leopoldo Lopez used the twitter as a tactical power [sic] since there is acceptance from the receiver which is made more massive through this medium by sending messages against the current government, ignoring its legitimacy, for example "whoever tires loses" which was retweeted, but there are other hashtags about the messages about the exit "sosVenezuela" "the delinquent state", which were also widely disseminated. On February 12, there was a [message] that undermined state officials, some relevant adjectives were: a delinquent, murderous, drug-trafficking state, among others, which the expert considered had a message which was to reach the receiver, building a basic model of communication that is sender, medium (where the message is transmitted), message and receiver, to create an idea around a vision of a country [sic] so that it would reach his followers which at that time totaled more than 2 million 700 thousand. Another characteristic of citizen Leopoldo Lopez's speech, is that he talks on behalf of all Venezuelans, not only does he talk in the first person, he talks for all of the opposition and he talks for all other Venezuelans who, are not part of the opposition.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 16, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

fnox posted:

For clarity's sake we do have operational Domino's Pizza and McDonalds. They don't have fries and it may be the only country to not have fries in its McDonalds but they sell Big Macs just fine. They're also not going away any time soon.

I thought McD's stopped selling burgers since they couldn't get any bread to make buns? Did something actually get better (so to speak) in Venezuela since I last saw it in the news? (Edit: it's from July 22, http://time.com/4420029/mcdonalds-big-mac-venezuela/ , so I guess it's still the case and you've just had the luxury of being in Sweden since utter collapse happened.)

My Imaginary GF posted:

Only you can make it collapse. Government will do everything to enrich itself first and foremost, no matter how small its territory becomes. Oil goes out, so loving what? You got illegal gold and lumber to get rid of. Your country can be stripped so loving bare that you make Haiti look like a developed nation what with its Domino's Pizza and operational McDonald's.

Mudcakes. Learn how to bake mud into food if you want to survive in Venezuela 10 years from now. Otherwise, organize and rise up against PSUV yourself.

Trust me, when oil is gone, you'll loving wish that natural resources were the only thing your government were exploiting. Just wait until your government starts its involvement in human trafficking for hard currency purposes. Get the gently caress out, organize the death of PSUV as a political entity, be sold into sex slavery if lucky or starve to death if you don't learn to bake mud: Which do you prefer?

That was an oddly personally-directed response? Fortunately, I don't live in Venezuela and I don't think I even know any Venezuelans. So... no, I'm not going to go there and try to foment revolution. Even if I were, I'm 99% sure I'd make an opportunity to escape and follow fnox into safety. I know you're kind of crazy, but it's true that even after oil is gone there will be drugs, timber, minerals, etc to sell that don't require any infrastructure and can enrich the few top echelon people and maybe keep the military and goon squads happy. I can't imagine modern slavery is a big enough business to significantly fund a country of 30 million, but what do I know.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 16, 2016

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's just good idea to just put MIGF on your ignore list and get on with life, for what it's worth.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Feinne posted:

I mean there is going to eventually be a point where the quality of life for even the shitters on top starts to decline, even if it's just because they can't go to their coke parties without passing bloated corpses on the street or all the hookers are laid out with malaria.

You probably already know this from having lived where it's endemic but anyone who still has family in Venezuela, get them mosquito netting and anything else you can because the chances of them getting proper medical attention should they catch malaria seem minimal.

north korea continues to provide its elite and military a decent enough quality of life to stay in power

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

north korea continues to provide its elite and military a decent enough quality of life to stay in power

And they do it with some human slaves. Ask the Poles who build their ships, the Russians who chop their trees, or thr commies who mine their unprofitable resourcez.

Death to PSUV now, while you can still organize and communicate with the outside world, or die a slave. Your choice Venegoons, what the gently caress are you waiting for? The calvary isn't coming so loving rise up yourselves before you become physical slaves to communism.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

El Hefe posted:

People have started eating stray dogs

Just saw a pic and its so loving disgusting dear god

Venezuela’s worsening food shortages had tragic consequences for a rare show horse last weekend, when a group of intruders broke into the zoo, pulled the black stallion from its cage, then slaughtered it for meat.

Prosecutors say the crime occurred in the small hours of Sunday morning at Caracas’ Caricuao Zoo, when “several people” sneaked into the state-run park under the cover of darkness and busted into the stallion’s pen. The horse, the only one of its kind in the zoo, was then led to a more secluded area and butchered on the spot. Only its head and ribs were left behind in a gruesome pile for zookeepers to find after sunrise.

http://fusion.net/story/330834/hungry-venezuelans-break-into-zoo-and-butcher-animal-for-meat/

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
oh poo poo horse murder

anyone have any links to studies on when societies get hungry enough to turn to cannibalism like in ukraine or north korea?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well that horse was probably going to die of starvation anyway, so I hope they at least gave it a quick death :smith:

The Caricuao zoo was a depressing sight even when I was still living in Caracas, it must be super creepy now with all the animals thin as hell plus the general state of the park.

A few years ago there was a scandal because the Toninas (a river dolphin) in Valencia's aquarium were dying due to the poor maintenance. Apparently the water was too dirty, when I went there before the scandal was brought up, I remember the handrails near their pool to be completely rusted and a giant sign that warned us not to touch them because the residue could make the creatures sick.

Then a few died and I think the rest were sold to another zoo outside of Venezuela?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
jesus christ you did it, you cooked that loving horse alive

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
may god bless veneqzuela because no one else will lol

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
We should really ask a Mod to change the thread name, something like "Venezuela: we're so hungry, we ate a horse", "Venezuela: every poster is a CIA agent" or "Venezuela: Mango based recipes ITT"

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Hugoon Chavez posted:

"Venezuela: Maduro based recipes ITT"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"Venezuela: The people of Venezuela, true to their republican tradition and their struggle for independence, peace and freedom, shall disown any regime, legislation or authority that violates democratic values, principles and guarantees or encroaches upon human rights. Right after they finish this horse."

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Mozi posted:

"Venezuela: The people of Venezuela, true to their republican tradition and their struggle for independence, peace and freedom, shall disown any regime, legislation or authority that violates democratic values, principles and guarantees or encroaches upon human rights. Right after they finish this horse."

How many calories are in a Che tshirt? Asking for a friend

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
"Venezuela: gently caress this poo poo, I'm out".

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
As Venezuelans are finishing that horse, they should stop to reflect, and comprehend everything happening in their country as a mild aggravation of the class conflict predicted by Marx.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

His blackened, poisonous heart would taint the meat and render it inedible.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Venezuela: Fighting Success Down to the Last Venezuelan

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Eating dogs and pigeons and horses is a time honored Cuban tradition. Even in Miami.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: You have a constitutional right to be a dumbass > Venezuela: Baked Horse Heart with Maduro sauce

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Oil speculators are already drooling.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/17/news/economy/venezuela-oil-prices/

Bank of America, not corrupt enough to go to Venezuela,

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-17/bank-of-america-said-to-follow-barclays-canceling-venezuela-trip

Crushing guns and registering bullets,

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-crime-idUSKCN10S2I9

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Mozi posted:

At this stage of the game Venezuela might be better off admitting that while Simon Bolivar gave it the good Old College Try it's time to give King Felipe VI a ring and ask if Spain will take them back. I don't know what else you could do to fix this mess.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Come on people, this is D&D and you're serving up imperialist propaganda. Everyone knows that countries faithful to anti imperialist revolutions commonly eat their zoo animals out of starvation. I mean, Syria ate its lions 3 years ago ( http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/middleeast/article3935102.ece ).

Though seriously it's probably better to kill the animals instead of having them slowly starve to death. That actually bothers me a lot more. Too bad they won't send their animals to Colombia or Brazil or whatever.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
id love to eat a lion steak

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Its bad because these zoo animals are semi domesticated and used to humans, they would be really confused as to why friendly humans would suddenly murder and eat them.
Also bad to let them starve to death though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Dicks out for Harambe

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Venezuela: 'It's all a right-wing conspiracy' he said while eating a horse.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Venezuela: 'It's all a right-wing conspiracy' he said while eating a horse.

You've finally exposed yourself as a CIA agent, Hugoon. Clearly you're denigrating Venezuela for political goals. You're holding it against the Venezuelan government that people are eating horse there, and while Iceland, France, Switzerland, Italy, and even Canada doing the same thing?

And blaming the Venezuelan government for people eating exotic animals, while in your imperialist hellhole dictatorship of Amerikkka (or Kkkanada?), people are openly running zoos where they raise exotic animals purely for meat?? ( http://www.exoticmeatmarkets.com/ / http://laist.com/2015/01/08/anshu_pathak_lion_meat_exotic_meat_riverside.php ). This dude even sells — or sold — lion steaks. http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/03/12/get-your-lion-burger-while-you-still-can

Goddamn, it's surprisingly easy to think like a Madurista apologist if you have no capacity for critical thinking, and a superhuman capacity to make bad analogies and compare incomparable situations.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Yesterday, El Nacional published a video showing the passenger reaction when they realized that National Assembly PSUV deputy Henry Ramirez was on their flight. In the video, you can see Ramirez (in the blue shirt) "sleeping" while the cabin erupts in loud singing and clapping.

The passengers are singing two different songs. One of them goes like this: "No tengo harina, no tengo pollo / En Venezuela ya no se consigue un coño" which rhymes really nicely in Spanish, but translates to "I don't have flour, I don't have chicken / We can't find gently caress all in Venezuela". The song continues, "No hay azuar, no hay cafe / En Venezuela lo que hay es escasez" [There's no sugar, there's no coffee / in Venezuela all we've got is scarcity], and then switches to "Y no! Y no! Y no me da la gana! Una dictadura igualita a la Cubana!" [No! No! I don't want it! A dictatorship just like the one in Cuba!].

All that legislating and fighting the Empire for the people of Venezuela made Ramirez really, really tired, so he was actually asleep during the whole thing: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4p33bj_diputado-chavista-se-hace-el-dormido-mientras-pasajeros-protestaron-por-la-escasez_news

In another bit of news, soccer superstar Dani Alves donated 300 treatments worth of hepatitis C medicine to an NGO in the country that reached out to him for help. However, the government refuses to accept the donation, meaning that the NGO can't receive them. The newspaper also published this comment from a woman with lupus who receives treatment through the NGO and said that she hasn't been able to find her medicine for two months:

quote:

I think the president isn't getting the whole picture. No one acts like that while half the country is dying.

And from the "Surely, this is too stupid to be real?" files, the national government authorized SUNNDDE [the organization in charge of ensuring 'fair prices' and whatnot in supermarkets and other establishments] to fine bakeries that allow "long lines" to form outside of their establishments. The head of SUNDDEE, William Contreras, said that all bakeries are being adequately stocked, and that any line that forms outside of one is manufactured to cause panic and commotion. In other words, "People are lining up for hours to buy food? Easy. Just ban the lines. Problem solved :smug:"

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chuck Boone posted:

Yesterday, El Nacional published a video showing the passenger reaction when they realized that National Assembly PSUV deputy Henry Ramirez was on their flight. In the video, you can see Ramirez (in the blue shirt) "sleeping" while the cabin erupts in loud singing and clapping.

We might be dying but we won't go down without a jingle!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Anyone still in Venezuela, can you confirm if there is in fact an actual physical fog of delusion settling in now?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The CNE/PSUV go through great lengths to explain in minute detail how every step of this process is extremely complicated and time consuming, and how everything has to be done at the right time to make sure the whole process goes off perfectly. This is their main excuse for not holding the referendum before the key date of January 10, 2017.

However, an NGO called Plataforma Venezuela Libre pointed out over the weekend that the CNE is 76 days behind its own schedule on the recall. These are the delays the NGO has pointed out:
  • March 9: The MUD officially gives the CNE the paperwork requesting the forms on which they will collect signatures in favour of the recall. Inexplicably, the CNE takes 29 days to provide the forms.
  • May 3: The MUD hands in all of the signatures it collected in favour of the referendum. The CNE regulations require that the signatures be verified within five business days. The CNE takes 38 days to verify the signatures.
  • July 26: 1 day later than what the regulation required, the CNE announces that it will finalize a report on the first step of the process. The CNE then takes 7 days to actually finalize the report, and waits 1 day to pass it along to the MUD, formally ending the firs step of the recall process.
The other fact that the NGO pointed out is that the CNE always takes the maximum amount of time to complete a given process. For example, if the CNE says "we will verify the signatures within 15 business days", they take at least 15 business days. This is why when the CNE announced that they would be ready to announce the date of the referendum in late October, everyone said "there's no chance the recall will happen this year", because the regulations say that the referendum must happen within 90 days (i.e., it will happen on the 90th day at the earliest).

In other news, September 1 is coming up, and the opposition is in full marketing mode for the demonstration it scheduled in Caracas for that day. They're hoping that this will be one of the biggest demonstrations in Venezuelan history, and that it will help put pressure on the PSUV to allow the recall to happen this year.

Last week, Maduro warned that if things get out of control, he will make what happened in Turkey seem small in comparison to what he will do. This is what he said:

quote:

Do you know what happened in Turkey? Endorgan [sic] is going to look like a child in comparison to what the Bolivarian revolution will do if the right-wing crosses the border into a coup again. I’m not not just saying that just because: I’m ready to do it! And I don’t care what the [Organization of American States] says, what North American imperialism says. I don’t care what imperialism says! I dare you – the working class is here!

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37164447

Venegoons, hope none of you work for the government...:ohdear:

fnox
May 19, 2013

Spacewolf posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37164447

Venegoons, hope none of you work for the government...:ohdear:

A new Lista Tascon, loving hooray.

As far as I'm aware of though this is nowhere near the scale of the actual Lista Tascon, there's too many openly dissident public employees that the government and PDVSA would collapse without, so this seems to be a targeted persecution of low level public employees in order to instill fear.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Right now, the purge involves only 99 mid-top level bureaucrats at five ministries. The ministries now have about 12-ish hours to fire the identified individuals if they want to meet the ultimatum.

Jorge Rodriguez is the one who announced the measure on Monday. He couldn't muster up the spine to say that the government wanted the people fired and instead used a euphemism:

quote:

They have 48 hours to so that these people who are in so-called cargos de confianza [literally “positions of confidence”; senior or important roles], director positions, well, that they be given other work prospects.

Also, OAS head Luis Almagro released an open letter on Monday night addressed to Leopoldo Lopez. The letter states his reasons for believing that we have witnessed "the sad end of democracy in Venezuela", including the fact that Maduro holds political prisoners, that he violently suppresses dissent, that his government is corrupt beyond redemption and that he is denying the Venezuelan people the constitutional right to recall him.

The letter rambles on a bit, which makes it difficult to follow at times. You can find the letter in Spanish here, and my translation below:

quote:

22 August 2016

Leopoldo Lopez
Ramo Verde Prison
Venezuela –

Dear Leopoldo,

I will be honest with you: I did not know that you were a political prisoner when you were arrested. The government had turned a lie into a continental truth; as soon as I saw the sentence and took it in word for word, I understood the magnitude of the political horror that your country is living.

You are somehow both imprisoned, victims of the maximum expression of human misery, the denial of all rights, from the most basic economic and social rights to basic freedoms.

Your fate is so closely tied to that of your people that surely you will only be free only when your people are free, and if the government believes that there is a possibility that you will break it is because it erroneously believes that it can break the Venezuelan people.

Perhaps calling you “friend” despite never having seen you is too much on my part, but I must confess that during this time I have felt immensely close to the injustice from which you suffer, just as I have felt close to the suffering of the people of Venezuela.

However, with each message of peace and harmony that you have sent — despite the threats against your life, the abuses that your family has suffered at the hands of the government’s jailers — you show that there is a way of hope for your country. In this way, and in many others, you embody the people’s hope, that of all together and of each individual.

The sentence that re-affirms your unjust conviction is a milestone, the sad end of democracy in Venezuela. It is at the same time, paragraph by paragraph, the end of the rule of law. That sentence clearly establishes the fact that In Venezuela there is no fundamental freedom left standing, no civil or political right, and that these have been left without effect through the conduct of the government.

Today, our conclusion is the same to which the MERCOSUR countries have arrived by refusing to accept Venezuela as president pro tempore of that organization.

That is a very strong international sanction, loud and clear. Without a doubt, so is the invoking of the Interamerican Democratic Charter, the next stages of which should solidify that which has already been established at MERCOSUR.

No position that supports rights and the fundamental principles of law can ignore that the Venezuelan government holds and tortures political prisoners, that it ignores the separation of powers and specially the legislative power, that it suffers from a deep humanitarian and ethical crisis and that a good part of those affects have been politically selected, that the Venezuelan government wants to ignore the constitutional right of the people to recall its President – a mechanism that comes from the same legal and political thought as electing him – and that the government has not shown any will to dialogue.

I reaffirm once again that which I have stated in the past, that the existence of political prisoners is absolutely incompatible with a democratic system. And that a single political prisoner means the imprisonment of all of our political rights.

No regional or sub-regional body can refute the reality that there is no democracy nor rule of law in Venezuela today. Today, MERCOSUR serves as the best example to follow, and the application of international clauses that condemn breaks with constitutional order and the democratic system become more necessary each day.

The Secretary General of the United Nations and the High Commissioner for Human Rights at the United Nations have also spoken out clearly on the humanitarian crisis, and have called on the Venezuelan government to fulfill its obligations under international human rights treaties.

The European Parliament has shown detailed evidence of the government’s abuses, the denial of the rights of Venezuelans and it has asked for your freedom and that of all political prisoners.

As I analyze this topic time and time again, I am convinced that there are no legal, political, moral or ethical reasons to not speak out and denounce a government (at this time, it has the characteristics of a [dictatorial] regime) that has caused itself to lose all legitimacy.

We have crossed the threshold that is the end of democracy itself. The international community calls for “no mas tirania en el cielo” [“an end to tyranny in heaven”; I believe this is in reference to a song], but that heaven no longer exists.

Demanding that the government meet its international obligations includes first and foremost a compromise to respect democracy and human rights throughout the country, something which cements the trust of the people.

The founder of the Frente Amplio, the left-wing coalition of the Uruguayan government, General Liber Seregni, had this to say about the definition of “trust”:

“Trust is a highly meaningful dynamic variable for the secularization of political institutions. Initially, it is produce at the most basic level of the political system, which is the citizen, and it becomes denser as it moves up to the upper levels until it becomes impersonal and just another generic characteristic of the system. Its intensity varies and depends on elements such as the equitable distribution positions and political rights, the accuracy and routine of a system of evaluation and control, the existence of public communication channels and most importantly the frequency and quality of the exchanges between political leaders”.

Daily Violence and Intimidation

The Venezuelan people are victims of intimidation, which has become the most tangible political and governmental symbol. It is corollary to an inefficient government that concerns itself with staying in power by denying the people of the possibility to decide through voting, and resorts to violence against those who protest of have other opinions or violate the law.

Those of us who know dictatorships know that attempting to eliminate opposition and dissenting voices is a true reflection of the ignorance of tyrants, because freedom will always beat within the people, rights will always form a fundamental part of society, and because ideas do not disappear even if you submit those who hold them to harsh punishment, espionage, violence and extortion.

Intimidation as a political tool has been applied against thousands of protesters, against you yourself, against public officials who could lose their jobs because they signed in favour of a referendum, against dozens of political leaders, against “Chuo” Torrealba, against Borges, against Maria Corina, against Zeballos [sic], against Ledezma, against your mother or your wife when they have gone to see you, against everyone in The Tomb [the name of the SEBIN prison in Caracas] to rip false testimonies out of them, against every judge that has suffered from political meddling, against the entire people of Venezuela who are the ultimate targets of these actions.

However, Leopoldo, Venezuelans feel, as Henrique Capriles said, that “Jail and imprisonment will never take away from us the desire to live in a country that is fair to all”.

Poverty, Humanitarian Crisis and Corruption

The opacity and dubious manner in which public funds have been handled have taken Venezuela to be classified as the most corrupt country in the continent by Transparency International. This I pointed out in a release on May 30 2016.

Aside from curtailing people’s rights, [the government] resorts itself wholly to corruption.

Former high-level officials of former president Hugo Chavez Frias’ economic team, such as Jorge Giordani and Hector Navarro, have made accusations that billions of dollars have disappeared through embezzlement. Who is investigating the disappearance of that money, which belongs to the people?

As if that was not enough, Roberto Rincon, the owner of the Tradequip and Ovarb Industrial companies which supplied the state-owned PDVSA company was found guilty of two charges of conspiracy to violate the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. He admitted his participation in a corruption scheme to win contracts from PDVSA.

Rincon was arrested this past December 16 for paying more than $1 billion in bribes to win contracts from PDVSA between 2008 and 2014. He is not alone: he is the sixth person to plead guilty in recent investigations for corrupt links to Venezuela (three of them were former PDVSA officials). Where did that money go? In which account is it? Who benefited?

The Case of Efrain Campo Flores and Francisco Flores de Freitas, which is taking place in a New York jurisdiction, has every indication of being worrying. According to prosecution documents, during 2015, the accused move ahead with preparations to transport cocaine from Venezuela to Honduras wit the goal of sending it to the United States.

In recorded conversations, the accused stated that they were at war with the United States, while at the same time establishing their goal of making several million dollars during the operation.

The prosecutors consider it a fact that the accused held meetings in Honduras (on October 4 2015), in Caracas (at the end of October 2015), and Honduras (in November 2015) during which times they worked on their preparation for the drug-trafficking operation.

During the course of these meetings, Campo described his connections with the Venezuelan government, and explained: “we are at war with the United States… with Colombia… with the opposition”, making it clear at the same time that the drugs were destined for New York. On December 10 2015, the accused were detained in Haiti where they had gone to make adjustments to their plan.

From the voluntary confession of Mr. Campos and Mr. Flores (who traveled with diplomatic passports), according to the New York Attorney General’s office, we know: Two months prior to his arrest, Campo met for the first time the people from whom he agreed to receive the cocaine to be then sent to the United States through Honduras. This contact got the cocaine from the FARC, and agreed to the transaction through the initial shipment of 800 kg. Campo recognized pictures from that preparatory meeting and identified them as such. Flores remained in touch with the contacts to carry out the plan after these preparatory meetings. Of the 800 kg destined for that first shipment, 100 kilograms belonged to Mr. Flores, 100 kilograms to Mr. Campo, and the rest to their two business partners. Moreover, Flores admitted that he hoped to receive more than US$ 5 million from this first shipment, of which US$ 560,000 would go to him.

All of these cases are evidence of the degradation of the republican integrity and transparency in Venezuela, and serve to feed the ever-increasing growth of corruption. Whoever supports this state of affairs, or simply remains silent, as an accomplice. The Venezuelan institutions that know of this and do not denounce it are accomplices.

The rule of law would provide justice to Venezuelans, but today corruption goes without judgement. They have judged you for conducting politics, but they have not judged any of the murderers – save for the smallest exception – of the 43 victims of the 2014 [protests] that have still not found justice.

The Recall Referendum

As Secretary General of the Organization of American States, I wrote in the extensive report prepared at the invocation of the Democratic Charter against Venezuela, “the solution to every institutional crisis can be solved through the legitimacy granted to it by the people. All political polarization at the leadership level that creates a crisis makes a public consultation necessary”.

For this reason, it is not acceptable to take away this power from the people’s hands for any reason, on which it belongs to be used as currency. To do this would be the final blow against Chavez’s political legacy.

Under no circumstance should power be used lest it be done strictly within the mandate afforded to it by the popular will and the Constitution. Much less to impose solutions that do violence against that which is set out in the Constitution. And much more less to prevent the sovereign people from expressing themselves.

The popular mandate expressed in a pluralist society [is], the essence of a democratic system, is not just a moral demand but also a political and civil necessity for peace and the development of our societies. As Seregni would said, “The objective is to transform that ethical principle in an election or a way of life”.

The foundation of morality and the root of justice is the recognition of a people’s dignity by respecting their will. Believing in people, respecting and defending their dignity and their rights, is the goal of democracy. Failure to do this is due only to the degradation of morality, of a power that supports corruption and of corruption that supports power, the consolidation of a vicious cycle of misery that Venezuelans have paid for with the lives of children in hospitals, with thousands of violent deaths on the streets, with hunger.

The peace that your country needs begins with rebuilding trust in politics among the citizens of Venezuelan.

Today, Venezuela needs just as much public decency, just as much democracy and democratization, just as much reconciliation and peace as that called for by Monseigneur Oscar Arnulfo Romero on August 6, 1978:

“Keep in mind the right to participation that everyone longs for, because everyone can contribute something for the common good of the country, and that there is a need for today more than ever of a strong authority, but not to rule mechanically or despotically, but to [rule from] a moral strength based on freedom and the responsibility of each of us, so that all of those forces may come together, despite a pluralism of opinions and even of opposition to the well-being of the country”.

And as he who was a martyr for peace in El Salvador concluded:

“Give the people an opportunity to organize, do away with unjust laws, give amnesty to those who have transgressed against laws that do not serve the common good, put an end to the harassment of the people, specially out in the country. Give freedom or a day in court to those who have disappeared or are unjustly imprisoned. Give those who have been expelled from the country and those who have been unable to return due to political reasons the opportunity to do so”.

Take care,

Luis Almagro

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Reading between the lines of the opposition rhetoric over a long period of time is a little sad at this point..."Now democracy has died in Venezuela, oh wait no NOW it has...just hang on a minute...oh wait no nnnnnnow! OK now. This time."

In personal news, my boss wants us to return to Amazonas for our final season of fieldwork in Puerto Ayacucho - this time involving camping for weeks at a time on the highly active (in terms of smuggling and [para]military) Orinoco frontier with Colombia. Fun fun fun.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Last night, Maduro spent quite a bit of time talking about the Jason Burr [Jason Bourne] series on his weekly television show. He also suggested that the film be used for educational purposes to teach people about how the CIA is bad.

Just before the clip starts, he was talking about how he recently saw The Secret Life of Pets. Here's the video along with my translation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oQdfddDYtY

quote:

Maduro: Before that, last week, we went to see Jason Burr [sic] [Jason Bourne]. Have you seen Jason Burr? No one's seen Jason Burr? You have to go see Jason Burr. Ah - General Padrino Lopez has seen it. The General-in-Chief. Jason Burr. And Jacquelyn [Faria] too - did you see it? No? It's better that you don't watch it [laughing]. It's going to make you worse.

It's part of the cycle of the Jason Burr movies. You haven't seen it? It starts with The Burr Ultimatum -- The Burr Myth [the Spanish name of "The Bourne Supremacy"] -- The Burr Supremacy, then there are other ones that I can't remember, and now Jason Burr. Go see it. Did you hear me, [Ronald] Blanco la Cruz? Make all the children watch it and comment on those movies. Because they make it into a film movie, but it speaks the truth about interventionism, the CIA and the United States, and how it orders the executions of people around the world. And they want to rule over the world! You will never rule over the world again. And Venezuela will never ever be ruled by the North American empire. We will make sure of that, in this life and in our next twenty lives. Venezuela will be an absolutely free, sovereign and independent country.

Vlex posted:

Reading between the lines of the opposition rhetoric over a long period of time is a little sad at this point..."Now democracy has died in Venezuela, oh wait no NOW it has...just hang on a minute...oh wait no nnnnnnow! OK now. This time."

Yeah. I mean, it is a topic of discussion. There are some who still would argue that Venezuela isn't a dictatorship.

Almagro's been really, really outspoken on the Maduro government in the past, so his words aren't surprising considering they're coming from him. Still, it's important for him to call it like he sees it because he's the head of a regional diplomatic body.

Also, good luck down there! Although I do have to say that I am so, so happy that I'm not going on that trip with you!

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
At this point, news from Venezuela is like the old SNL meme "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Lol Vlex I hope you're getting paid a poo poo load of money

Have you guys heard about the case of the American Mormon guy who married a Venezuelan woman here and when they were getting her visa ready and stuff to go live in the US he suddenly got arrested and they "found" an AK47 and a bunch of rounds and grenades on him?