Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

That's not all that's rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9AmQ1Ie7Bk

(Hilary's new Campaign Theme)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So the Republican Party in its current state is essentially locked out of the presidency by how disconnected its base have become from the wider electorate. Assuming it doesn't make some sharp readjustments during the Thousand-Year Hillareich, when does this also start applying downticket? As in, how long until they start finding it structurally difficult/impossible to take the Senate? I imagine that the House can hold out for a while thanks to gerrymandering, but the Senate doesn't have that protection.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

So the Republican Party in its current state is essentially locked out of the presidency by how disconnected its base have become from the wider electorate. Assuming it doesn't make some sharp readjustments during the Thousand-Year Hillareich, when does this also start applying downticket? As in, how long until they start finding it structurally difficult/impossible to take the Senate? I imagine that the House can hold out for a while thanks to gerrymandering, but the Senate doesn't have that protection.

Well Trump is about to go full Nazi and every single GOPer is going to be tied to it with chains. They will either get torn down by Trump for disowning him or by HRC for not.

Will it work against all of them who are fighting for their seat? Doubtful, but lord I don't envy them. If last night's speech was any indication, Trump's about to go full Jim Crow except this time the police will be a protected class with tanks and machine guns and total immunity from prosecution or discipline in all endeavors

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Well Trump is about to go full Nazi and every single GOPer is going to be tied to it with chains. They will either get torn down by Trump for disowning him or by HRC for not.

Will it work against all of them who are fighting for their seat? Doubtful, but lord I don't envy them. If last night's speech was any indication, Trump's about to go full Jim Crow except this time the police will be a protected class with tanks and machine guns and total immunity from prosecution or discipline in all endeavors

Oh, I can see how this election will go badly for them, but I'm talking long-term structural. Like, when do they start losing on demographics?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FetusSlapper posted:

Aren't you supposed to do this kind of stuff on Fridays so it gets lost over the weekend?

The announcement canning Corey Lewendowski was also made on a Monday, of course it was a big story early in that week and of course the Trump people haven't learned from their mistake

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, I can see how this election will go badly for them, but I'm talking long-term structural. Like, when do they start losing on demographics?

They've been losing on demographics for two cycles now. If Trumpenproles splinter and the right becomes two warring factions representing "FYGM Libertarianism" and "Purge the Mud Races" then they're done as a party, even on the downticket. Trump taking 35% of the current too-small base is a party killer. Doing nothing would be the demographics killer because that's already baked in

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Darth Walrus posted:

When Hillary turns up the chemtrails to start killing off people in their late 50s with poor habits and pill habits

I think it's been assumed that they were going to gin up voter suppression to make up for the decline in the white man population, but it seems their actual plan is to crash directly into a mountain

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nessus posted:

When Hillary turns up the chemtrails to start killing off people in their late 50s with poor habits and pill habits

I think it's been assumed that they were going to gin up voter suppression to make up for the decline in the white man population, but it seems their actual plan is to crash directly into a mountain

At this point it's likely we see enterprising interns and low level staffers driving boxes of Democratic ballots out into the desert to burn. There's simply no contingency beyond that for a meltdown like "Trump campaign lead by Breitbart" can become

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

At this point it's likely we see enterprising interns and low level staffers driving boxes of Democratic ballots out into the desert to burn. There's simply no contingency beyond that for a meltdown like "Trump campaign lead by Breitbart" can become
Given the sheer power and majesty of the blood course that someone (probably Bill Clinton) has laid on the GOP, they'd probably burn Republican ballots on accident

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lprsti99 posted:

My bet is it'll be slowish until the first debate, and then there'll be some variation of "Please proceed, Donald" and the thread will be 10,000 posts of

E: Now that I think of it, someone needs to photoshop Hillary and Tim's faces onto the hoodie dude and guy going across the gif respectively.
I ended up on the first page on accident and I thought I'd share this one. It's still loving August!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Air is lava! posted:

Okay. Honest question here. Has Trump made one good decision during the general election? As far as I see it, the "moderate" tones Manaford fed him were the only thing keeping him alive. The only way to run a worse campaign would be to formally endorse Hillary. And even then 35% would vote for him.

Being anti-free trade/globalism would work wonders for him in rust belt swing states if he was a competent candidate and would make Hillary either hustle hard to keep them or lose. There are a lot of right leaning democrats that live in those states and seeing someone who is paying active attention to them is refreshing instead of two candidates flooding their states with ads instead of jobs.

He's a celebrity. Granted he's a C or D list celebrity, but he has name recognition and he's been building an imagine of himself as a thoughtful, intelligent and successful businessman. He's not, but he crafted that image and it stuck. Also as a sort of outrageous reality TV star he'd primed people to accept stupid, crazy and racist stuff. The media early on did try to call him on what he said, but the problem is that voters didn't give a drat or at least republican voters didn't in enough numbers to eliminate him. Over and over pundits predicted his downfall and over and over they were wrong. It hurt the media's credibility by being so hilariously wrong so often. Then there was a sort of feeling that he could get away with stuff and the media let him because they couldn't call him on it without looking like idiots.

If he were a more competent candidate outreach to black people wouldn't exactly have brought in a majority of their votes, but it would have depressed them for the dems and maybe snagged a few for the republicans. Back above the normal 10%.

Talking about infrastructure spending is a big deal because it'll put people back to work and fix what is essentially in desperate need of repair. Both candidates are talking about it. Honestly though I only see Trump getting it through unless congress somehow flips democrat which unless something unforeseen and drastic happens it isn't going to happen. The only thing Hillary is really going to be able to accomplish with a hostile house is to get judges through and that's if she even gets that. It'll be 2010-2016 all over again.

Working the media early on. Trump would do call ins while they talked about him and the media would eat it up even though journalists hate doing call-ins. It's harder to interrupt people, challenge them or clarify points as a journalist without coming off like a jerk. Plus he gains access to hundreds of thousands of people on a whim and he could just be watching the TV in his bunny slippers. It was free attention when the media liked doing it more. Now though they've turned against him and he has a much harder time doing this. Also just in general he's fairly media savvy. He knows how to build a brand. The only problem is that his message sucks. Trump would've had a serious shot if he were Christian, embraced border control and a sort of compassionate conservatism while railing against elites who have been dithering not only on the left but on the right. You can talk about border control without sounding like a pants on head crazy racist.

And finally, only until recently had his lack of money raised was a serious problem for him because of the above point. It was often a problem, but if he spent more time campaigning in swing states instead of loving Maine and Connecticut he might have been able to make up for it in part. He's run the campaign on a shoestring budget and as long as the media bowed to him he was going to be able to compensate in part for a total lack of ground game. Also there wasn't a huge point in trying to run a ground game because no competent republican operative has really backed him. He'd have to spend a lot more money with D and F list talent in order to effectively target voters.

I could go on for a bit if I thought about it more but it's late. He actually has stuff going for him, but his problem is that he's a raging, racist narcissist and totally unteachable. He doesn't learn from mistakes and doesn't seem to even attempt to learn from them. If I was back in my old political science classes and I asked freshman how you'd lose an election being openly racist, making fun of the military and kicking babies out of your rallies would be near the top of the list.

What scares me is that a charismatic and likable populist could have destroyed Hillary. Just no holds barred absolutely wrecked her because trust in Hillary and her favorability in general are low. She's the weakest candidate that the dems have fielded in a long time. Strong ground game, a consummate politician, an effective administrator and has a love for details and policy, but holy poo poo is she just despised on a personal level. Both parties are amazingly weak to populism right now. People are angry and I think the only thing that will keep those populists out of the 2020 election will be changing the rules to exclude more outsider candidates from the party so you can't have people like Trump or Bernie usurp the presidency from the parties having registered with them that year. There's been a real thirst for populism since a bit before the 2008 election. Then it was happy. Now it's soured. Give a few years of nothing to quell those hurt feelings and you'll see it go beyond sour to nasty or even violent if it doesn't go that way in just the next few months.

Epic High Five posted:

They've been losing on demographics for two cycles now. If Trumpenproles splinter and the right becomes two warring factions representing "FYGM Libertarianism" and "Purge the Mud Races" then they're done as a party, even on the downticket. Trump taking 35% of the current too-small base is a party killer. Doing nothing would be the demographics killer because that's already baked in

Yeah. 2008 perhaps wasn't a totally obvious wake-up call, but I read the 2012 autopsy. There were a lot of good ideas in there for strengthening the party. Actively recruit minorities (especially Hispanics), pass immigration reform, stop bashing gay people, get republicans to start talking to people they don't agree with instead of talking only to themselves and stop being the rich guys party. The problem is that anyone who wanted to take a new direction got RINO'd right the gently caress out of the party.

The demographics are shrinking and the republicans are going to get to a point where they won't be able to win the presidency anymore. 2020 is coming up and if the dems can pass reforms on gerrymandering and voter suppression laws the republicans could lose the house as well.

I've been reading quite a few republican scholars recently. Among a few that I've read is that the party just can't change. It's white and old and old people don't change. It'll shatter before it'll change. Only when it really shatters will there be a realignment on the right. Until it shatters reformers will get RINO'd.

Also the lady that wrote the autopsy left the republican party. It's a sign of how bad its gotten.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/6-big-takeaways-from-the-rnc-s-incredible-2012-autopsy

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 17, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I don't see why you'd expect Republicans to pass an infrastructure bill. Unless by infrastructure you mean "building the wall."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Is it possible to be a charismatic and likeable populist in a diverse nation? Populism isn't a philosophy that fools anybody but conservative whites, this election is doing a lot to prove that. There's no populism without massively increasing the power of the police and eliminating oversight, and right there you've lost non-whites

I can't think of anybody who fits that bill, and even if they existed they'd never make it past the primary because authoritarians don't want someone who is likable

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Epic High Five posted:

Is it possible to be a charismatic and likeable populist in a diverse nation? Populism isn't a philosophy that fools anybody but conservative whites, this election is doing a lot to prove that. There's no populism without massively increasing the power of the police and eliminating oversight, and right there you've lost non-whites

I can't think of anybody who fits that bill, and even if they existed they'd never make it past the primary because authoritarians don't want someone who is likable

2008 was Obama riding a wave of populism. Quite a few of those voters weren't white. Granted he wasn't a populist, but that didn't really matter much because people wanted him to be.

"At its root, populism is a belief in the power of regular people, and in their right to have control over their government rather than a small group of political insiders or a wealthy elite. The word populism comes from the Latin word for "people," populus. Definitions of populism."

You may be thinking of authoritarianism. Populism can be adopted by any race, creed or color. It's not limited to the left or right, this race or that one.

Anyway you can be a likable and charismatic populist in a diverse nation. You don't have to win everyone over. You just need to win enough people over to win the election.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Nessus posted:

Given the sheer power and majesty of the blood course that someone (probably Bill Clinton) has laid on the GOP, they'd probably burn Republican ballots on accident

Clinton had to give up the flesh of animals to have his enemies tear themselves apart.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Nessus posted:

That would be Pres. Lyndon B. Johnson, who backed the Civil Rights movement in part because he knew the GOP would take the bait and use the southern strategy and in turn, this moment.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

And it shall be written that this day, August 17th 2016, heralded the demise of the Republican party.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

If Manafort is out and Bannon is in, then it means that Ivanka and Jared Kushner's attempts to professionalize Trump have failed. Donald Trump Jr. was the family member who wanted to quadruple-down on the populist rhetoric. Given that Ivanka, by all accounts, was Trump's last restraint, I will be interested in seeing how the campaign goes from here. It's hard to imagine Trump being any less unfiltered.

I'm also curious if this decision was driven by the New York Times' recent investigation into Manafort. I suppose that this decision will help Trump push back on the accusations of Russian support.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

QuoProQuid posted:

Given that Ivanka, by all accounts, was Trump's last restraint, I will be interested in seeing how the campaign goes from here. It's hard to imagine Trump being any less unfiltered.

Originally Trump had these sort of reality TV show yes men courtiers and they were displaced by people who were more professional. Not all of them, but enough to matter if he wanted to run a professional campaign. Now I think he's returned to it. He wants to run a campaign that makes him feel good, but not one that'll enable a win. Maybe he wanted to win before, but he can't unfuck the situation. He can't pivot in any meaningful direction anymore. That ship sailed. All he can do is depress Hillary's numbers.

If Trump's rhetoric is truly off the leash it's going to go terribly for the republican party. He'll ruin downticket elections and has two and a half months to do it. Possibly terrible for everyone depending on how much he gins up his followers. Honestly at this point I'm waiting on Prester Jane to end her cross country move, plop down in front of a computer and tell me where the narcissism leads from here. While she isn't always correct, she seems to be more correct than most professional pundits because I have legit stopped trying to predict this loving election.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

If Manafort is out and Bannon is in, then it means that Ivanka and Jared Kushner's attempts to professionalize Trump have failed. Donald Trump Jr. was the family member who wanted to quadruple-down on the populist rhetoric. Given that Ivanka, by all accounts, was Trump's last restraint, I will be interested in seeing how the campaign goes from here. It's hard to imagine Trump being any less unfiltered.

I'm also curious if this decision was driven by the New York Times' recent investigation into Manafort. I suppose that this decision will help Trump push back on the accusations of Russian support.

It's been obvious for a while now that when Trump is reading a prepared speech, he is a reasonably effective candidate, if even more terrifying ("I ALONE CAN FIX IT!"). Hell, he even turned in some borderline brilliant debate performances because he had an army of really lovely candidates to play off of. But Trump clearly dislikes the rigors of normal campaigning in all its forms and can't understand why doing non-stop stream of thought rallies isn't winning him the presidency.

Literally all Trump would have had to do is lean on speechwriters to carry him through to the fall and he would have at least a 50/50 shot.

As far as the 2012 campaign RNC post-mortem, we all laugh at how hard the GOP is not doing that stuff, but it's as if it were written in an isolated robot testing facility and not the real political environment. "Beep-boop, just become a Blue Dog Democrat but also never talk about social conservatism" is not really what many actual voters are looking for these days. Just ask Democrats. As discovered, there's no will in the GOP to do anything non-insane on immigration.

I guess they could have done something on outreach, but the only real outreach has been carried out by Trump, who took a big poo poo on the Invasion of Iraq and played, however accidentally, on the economic woes of poor white voters who voted for conservatives over and over only to see none of the trends in the economy change.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

As far as the 2012 campaign RNC post-mortem, we all laugh at how hard the GOP is not doing that stuff, but it's as if it were written in an isolated robot testing facility and not the real political environment. "Beep-boop, just become a Blue Dog Democrat but also never talk about social conservatism" is not really what many actual voters are looking for these days. Just ask Democrats. As discovered, there's no will in the GOP to do anything non-insane on immigration.

That's the thing though. These aren't problems that'll get them in the long term. It's coming down the pipe as soon as the baby boomers start dying off in larger numbers which is happening now. I feel like the only way forward for the republicans is to cut bait with white supremacy and try to cobble together a multi-racial and multi-ethnic coalition while pivoting towards staying right on economics but turning left on social policies or perhaps vice versa depending on what voters want. The longer they stall the worse it's going to be as white supremacy continues to further poison the well with minorities with conservatism and the worse it's going to be when the party finally admits it doesn't have the votes to win anymore and a large number of people are simply no longer represented because they're too toxic. While they won't have the votes to win, they definitely will have enough to gently caress over the party that eventually has to spurn them or become completely irrelevant.

The political reality is that they're pretty hosed. They need to transition and form entirely new coalitions with new voters who they've actively been loving over for years. It's not impossible, but every election that they fail to do it makes it that harder to eventually pivot when things finally fall apart. The bridge that needs to be built is too far and getting farther every day.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Epic High Five posted:

They've been losing demographics since 2004 when the GOP threw away the overwhelming Muslim vote share W had in 2000.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SpaceDrake posted:

Yup.

This is the thing I think I love most about all this - the Republicans have nobody to blame but themselves for this. I mean we have to remember - most of the GOP's Guys got loving destroyed in the primaries. Like just goddamn annihilated. Sure Trump basically got the nod with ~45% of the vote... but that's because Cruz hoovered up another 30%. Jeb barely won any delegates, Rubio managed utterly feeble numbers for his entire run, and everyone else not Kasich was so forgettable and a non-starter electorally that I forget most of their names now.

This is the beast they have raised. This is the bonfire they built. This is the nominee the voters chose by, frankly, a pretty large margin of votes in a crowded field.

There is nowhere else for the GOP to go and no way to recover.

Out of the multiple endpoints of the GOP's strategy of blind authoritarianism, wealth worship, and hatred of the Other, I suppose we were fortunate that the orange clown man is what we ended up with. The Republicans have played with fire for so long and created a base completely detached from reality that despises all government they don't fully control. Only just this year do they fully realize that this includes them as well as the beast turns on them.

The idea of an even more unleashed Trump has me more than a little excited and terrified.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SirFozzie posted:

Manafort out, folks from Breitbart running Trump's campaign?

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/765785755859972096

(I so wanted to put "Manafort is kill?, go to Breitbart?" but that's chan-y)

https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/765563843644887040

:laffo:

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/ap-trump-chair-routed-ukrainian-money-to-dc-lobbyists-227101

This may be the story everyone was waiting for, Manafort routed 2.4 million to DC Lobbyists from a pro-Russian Ukranian group in a way that would hide where it came from.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
A bit more on Manafort:
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/765871967891259394
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/765872258816569344

https://twitter.com/MaxRTucker/status/765873250454896640
(Sadly paywalled, but looks like the images has some of the ledge entries)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:tviv:

Yeah, those are images of ledger entries, the last one shows a 3+ million payment to "Paul Manafort - Contract."

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

:tviv:

Yeah, those are images of ledger entries, the last one shows a 3+ million payment to "Paul Manafort - Contract."

Sounds like you have access to the actual story (with images large enough to at least see the scribbles) --- anything else worth highlighting?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I think it would be amusing if in a fit of whimsy Trump decides to 180 on the Russians and trash talk Putin now that Manafort is no longer whispering in his ear.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OddObserver posted:

Sounds like you have access to the actual story (with images large enough to at least see the scribbles) --- anything else worth highlighting?

No that's just what's on the image in that tweet. There are 3 ledger entries, with descriptions to the left of the picture of Manafort.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That would be a normal trump move. He'd then say he had never praised Putin or suggested we abandon NATO. That crooked media quoted me in too much context!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

FuzzySlippers posted:

That would be a normal trump move. He'd then say he had never praised Putin or suggested we abandon NATO. That crooked media quoted me in too much context!

Him praising the Russians for months was sarcasm. Don't you idiots understand sarcasm?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
To be clearer though, this is about Trump wanting to be Trump. He thinks that the problem isn't that he's a racist rear end in a top hat spewing hate and demifascism; but instead because he was being "boxed in," "managed," "not himself."

His instincts are so incredibly bad.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
More double downs than a KFC in Mississippi, more scorched earth than Sherman in Georgia.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

More sarcasm than a thirteen year old who discovered it for the first time.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Nessus posted:

I don't see why you'd expect Republicans to pass an infrastructure bill. Unless by infrastructure you mean "building the wall."

Until they decided anything a Democrat proposes is tantamount to Full Communism Now! and must be opposed at all costs, they regularly supported infrastructure spending -- least of which because it's a big payday for their friends in the government contracting business.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

So, that's it right, game over for Manafort? The FBI is investigating now?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Comstar posted:

So, that's it right, game over for Manafort? The FBI is investigating now?

Manafort's position with the campaign wasn't compromised because of this.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

To be clearer though, this is about Trump wanting to be Trump. He thinks that the problem isn't that he's a racist rear end in a top hat spewing hate and demifascism; but instead because he was being "boxed in," "managed," "not himself."

His instincts are so incredibly bad.
Heyy, we're all gonna have more fun if Trump is let to be Trump. Manafort spoiled that!

e: "fun" barring the inevitable mass shootings, obviously.

meristem fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

ReidRansom posted:

I'm not a climate scientist either, I'm a geoscientist, but we do some climate-related stuff, and the answer is that no matter what we do or try, all the world's coastlines will look different soon enough. Whether or not some place or another is worth trying to save isn't my thing; telling you that it's only delaying the inevitable is, though.
Have any links handy for maps speculating future coastlines?

• Locked thread