Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

good.

I want conservatism dead.

It's a trash political idealogy that has hosed over the poor and disenfranchised so loving badly in this country. Good loving riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Goatman Sacks posted:

Hey Cato just released their list of states ranked by Freedom (tm).

http://www.freedominthe50states.org/?utm_content=buffera798a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Curious question for the ex-libertarians in this crowd (i.e. everyone) - how does one reconcile how horrible it must be to do business in California and New York with the fact that their combined GDP makes them the 4th most powerful country in the world?

Every so called "free state", fiscally speaking, ranks at the bottom for personal freedom. Sure, you're life is lovely, but you can make someone else really rich!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rorus Raz posted:

Trump is going to be on Savage tomorrow. If you don't know who Savage is, he's the guy who got his show on MSNBC cancelled after a handful of episodes because he called a caller a sodomite and then told them to get AIDS and die.

Last time he was on, Savage really wanted Trump to board the whole "Scalia was murdered" conspiracy theory, and you could tell even Trump didn't want to board that train. But that was during the busy primary season, so I'm wondering if Savage will be his usual sociopathic self or if he knows he can't badger Trump to say that Clinton had Seth Rich assassinated.

Yeah. Trump going on Savage's show is sure to broaden his base.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

PoorMoralCompass posted:

Tell me true, is this guy for real, or is it Poe's law?
I listened to this the other day and every sentence he said started out quite angry then particle accelerated to sounding like he was having a heart attack on air.
That's got to be exhausting either way.

In my entirely non-expert opinion, he's absolutely trolling. This doesn't rise up to the level of needing to invoke Poe.

In some thread somewhere in the past few days, someone linked the archive of 4chan trolling him a few years ago. The first few were amazing but it became pretty clear that the entire thing is an act and he either enjoys playing with the trolls or is actively working with them for the entertainment value.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

McGlockenshire posted:

In my entirely non-expert opinion, he's absolutely trolling. This doesn't rise up to the level of needing to invoke Poe.

In some thread somewhere in the past few days, someone linked the archive of 4chan trolling him a few years ago. The first few were amazing but it became pretty clear that the entire thing is an act and he either enjoys playing with the trolls or is actively working with them for the entertainment value.

Would you say that a Twitch boobie streamer is analogous?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah. Trump going on Savage's show is sure to broaden his base.

Please, we can be mature about this. Don't call that host something that implies aggression like 'Savage'. He'll be so much happier if we just refer to him by his perfectly fine name of Michael 'Wiener' Weiner.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I've been interested to see how Fox News is covering the election and whether their viewers are even receiving the information about Trump's campaign being a dumpster fire, along with his horrible polling and what it implies about the electoral college etc.

It's kind of strange and sad. They are trying like hell not to cover the avalanche of poo poo polling he's had and not come right out and say he's losing huge and likely to get blown out. When they have their "opinion" panels like Fox and Friends or Outnumbered or whatever they try to dwell on any Clinton issues and still talk about things like whether the Bernie bros are coming aboard like this was still the first day of the DNC, and how independent voters are split fairly evenly among the candidates while completely failing to mention double digit leads in the huge majority of swing states. I heard them call PA a "tossup" state just this morning (although they did mention some double digit type leads right after that).

If a giant blowout happens and Fox's audience didn't even get a memo that this might occur and thought horserace all the way down isn't there eventually a huge risk to Fox from massive loss of credibility translating FINALLY into a loss of audience and viewers?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Zwabu posted:

isn't there eventually a huge risk to Fox from massive loss of credibility

:wtc:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Looks to me like they can just pretend they were never saying anything different from what happened and everyone will just nod along

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

I've been interested to see how Fox News is covering the election and whether their viewers are even receiving the information about Trump's campaign being a dumpster fire, along with his horrible polling and what it implies about the electoral college etc.

It's kind of strange and sad. They are trying like hell not to cover the avalanche of poo poo polling he's had and not come right out and say he's losing huge and likely to get blown out. When they have their "opinion" panels like Fox and Friends or Outnumbered or whatever they try to dwell on any Clinton issues and still talk about things like whether the Bernie bros are coming aboard like this was still the first day of the DNC, and how independent voters are split fairly evenly among the candidates while completely failing to mention double digit leads in the huge majority of swing states. I heard them call PA a "tossup" state just this morning (although they did mention some double digit type leads right after that).

If a giant blowout happens and Fox's audience didn't even get a memo that this might occur and thought horserace all the way down isn't there eventually a huge risk to Fox from massive loss of credibility translating FINALLY into a loss of audience and viewers?
My guess is that those who haven't abandoned FOX already will not learn anything from it. Instead, they will surround themselves in the Trump-ism that he lost due to massive fraud. Because Clinton is the devil.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Remember that Fox is not too happy with Trump after he attacked one of their employees and them snubbed them by skipping a debate. When he came to the next Fox-hosted debate, they actually fact-checked his bullshit and held him to it.

Fox News hates Trump so much they actually did some journalism.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Zwabu posted:

isn't there eventually a huge risk to Fox from massive loss of credibility translating FINALLY into a loss of audience and viewers?

I know this is anecdotal, but most of the FNC people I know claim to actually dislike or even hate FNC. They do this because they know FNC has a bad reputation, and they have to have some excuse. So they can lie to their liberal friends by spinning some yarn about how they totally watch FNC with a critical eye toward bias, but then when they talk to their conservative friends they really just sit around and bitch about the hosts they think are too liberal as a kind of conservative dick measuring contest.

So I would say that opinion of FNC among nearly everyone is already extremely low, and that no they will not lose any viewers over it since FNC is the only channel they feel safe watching. If they turn on any other channel they may have to see a black person mention that racism exists, a gay person, a muslim person, women wearing pants, or some other thing they just can't handle.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zwabu posted:

Since when has being wrong ever impacted right wing media? Their consmers never cared about facts. All they want is confirmation of their biases. When Trump crashes and burns out, they'll have their faithful rubes back after some "evil Hillary" and barely hidden racist stories.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Phone posted:

Would you say that a Twitch boobie streamer is analogous?

Well, I'm sure there's a lot of audience overlap...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Don't forget this guy

If that was a black guy, that would be the last picture of him alive.

#whitepriviledge

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

PoorMoralCompass posted:

Tell me true, is this guy for real, or is it Poe's law?
I listened to this the other day and every sentence he said started out quite angry then particle accelerated to sounding like he was having a heart attack on air.
That's got to be exhausting either way.

Honestly, I have no idea. Like I said earlier, I think that's part of the fun is trying to figure out if he's genuine or not. I listened to him back in 2012 and he really hasn't changed anything since. There's so many signs that say that he is and other things, like Engineer or his allowing of Trolls to troll, that make me think otherwise. I think it all just goes on what you perceive. If what a goon said earlier that there are clips of him getting out of character, then I haven't seen it and I will stand corrected.

Besides, the splices are pretty beast. I really wanted that Marvin Gaye/Nickleback mash-up track.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Joshmo posted:

Every so called "free state", fiscally speaking, ranks at the bottom for personal freedom. Sure, you're life is lovely, but you can make someone else really rich!

One of the True Believers in the Libertarian thread posted the Cato Freedom Index for countries to show how "more free" countries had better standards of living.

Qatar and UAE made the top 20 I think, because it's "more free" when the government doesn't interfere with businesses who like using slave labor.

You don't want to live somewhere where you're not even free to get pressed into de facto slavery building hotels and resorts do you?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Don't you want to be free to sell your labor instead of merely renting it?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Don't you want to be free to sell your labor instead of merely renting it?

One lump sum. Tax-free even! Great for investments! Also, the value of your labor drops over time, so you end up making a profit! All it takes is 40+ years of backbreaking labor with a high mortality rate and you too could become slightly less destitute!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
:siren: :siren: :siren:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/765808453898080256

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I don't even know where to start. What shows do I watch tomorrow to most fully bathe in the wonderousness of this insanity?

I mean Maddow is a given. Chris Hayes would probably do some eye-popping but he's on vacation and the guy who replaced him is kinda low-key. But that's just rolling-in-the-smug guffawing, I also want to see completely flummoxed RWM blowhards struggle to figure out how to spin this poo poo.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

This is gonna be a fun (if terrifying) trainwreck to watch.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
http://nyti.ms/2bhmPNj

Not the type of type of right wing media we've come to know and love, but this NYT piece felt like colonial apologism, especially since it has lines like this:

quote:

Edmar Bacha, a friend and economist, had coined the term “Belindia” to describe Brazil — a prosperous Belgium perched atop a teeming India.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Geostomp posted:

This is gonna be a fun (if terrifying) trainwreck to watch.

I'm hoping that this results in more people being exposed to Breitbart and realizing it's basically a white nationalist outlet.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

Remember that Fox is not too happy with Trump after he attacked one of their employees and them snubbed them by skipping a debate. When he came to the next Fox-hosted debate, they actually fact-checked his bullshit and held him to it.

Fox News hates Trump so much they actually did some journalism.

Sean Hannity is basically Trump's media fluffer and Bill O'Reilly is pretty buddy-buddy with him and his focus is mostly on how he thinks the MSM mistreats him/puts forth false narratives. The rest of the network is more anti-Clinton than pro trump, aside from the random sane person like Juan Williams or Shep Smith who are pretty obviously against him

Even back when it happened the other hosts only vaguely defended Megan Kelly, and went back to focusing on Clinton or Trump's big rallies within like a week. They didn't really care.

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 17, 2016

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

MizPiz posted:

Not the type of type of right wing media we've come to know and love, but this NYT piece felt like colonial apologism, especially since it has lines like this:

I feel like he might have a point with "Developed countries are far harsher on international events held by developing nations," but yeah, a lot of nonsense in there, too.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Sean Hannity is basically Trump's media fluffer and Bill O'Reilly is pretty buddy-buddy with him and his focus is mostly on how he thinks the MSM mistreats him/puts forth false narratives. The rest of the network is more anti-Clinton than pro trump, aside from the random sane person like Juan Williams or Shep Smith who are pretty obviously against him

Even back when it happened the other hosts only vaguely defended Megan Kelly, and went back to focusing on Clinton or Trump's big rallies within like a week. They didn't really care.

Exactly. For every Megan Kelly moment of sanity there's a doze Steve doocys waiting to be terrible people.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

FuzzySkinner posted:

Some of it is race, some of it is "Just world" fallacy. They're so unwilling to believe that there's legitimate problems in the US that need solved right now. It's why the "bootstraps" thing keeps getting brought up. They believe it's successful because it happened to them.
Ahem, they certainly think there are problems that need to be solved! For example, did you know ranchers can't graze cattle on federally-owned land for free?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Pander posted:

Exactly. For every Megan Kelly moment of sanity there's a doze Steve doocys waiting to be terrible people.

Lets not pretend Megyn Kelly is batting a thousand.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

Seriously. She's typical racist FYGM like the rest but she sometimes butts head when they start in on the anti-woman attacks (and only when it affects rich white women). She wasn't even pro-maternity leave until she herself had a kid. I don't really consider that anything to be that impressed by.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

The rest of the network is more anti-Clinton than pro trump,

Special report is the worst about this. Every loving day, The Five cuts to Bret Baier directly, with his usual intro of "Hilary Clinton: she sucks. This is special report!" dutdut dadutdutdut dadutdutdutudutudut "Our top story tonight: why does Hillary Clinton suck so much? People are saying that she really sucks. Now to weigh in, Charles Krauthammer."

This is considered their "serious" news program.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

MizPiz posted:

Brazilian here, and yeah, the choice of terms is a bit insensitive, but it doesn't seem malicious. It seems worse because it dehumanizes Indians as being inferior wogs, but the original 'Belindia' articles were far more comprehesive and interesting, basically positing that the country was (and is) a white elite that considers itself cosmopolitan, european and progressive, and a vast undernourished, abandoned underclass neck deep in very serious Third World problems that is exploited and/or ignored by the 'Belgium' stratum.

Another quote from those times was "Brazil doesn't have pockets of poverty. It has pockets of wealth and excess."

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

That's why I specified "moment".

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I just peeked at Drudge Report and the headline is about Hillary and pillows. No Benghazi or emails. Is this the beginning of Pillowgate?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

What the heck is a campaign CEO? Does it outrank the campaign manager? Will Manafort have to poison this guy to keep his power?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jurgan posted:

What the heck is a campaign CEO? Does it outrank the campaign manager? Will Manafort have to poison this guy to keep his power?

Trump thinks this whole thing is a business, duh.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Sephyr posted:

Brazilian here, and yeah, the choice of terms is a bit insensitive, but it doesn't seem malicious. It seems worse because it dehumanizes Indians as being inferior wogs, but the original 'Belindia' articles were far more comprehesive and interesting, basically positing that the country was (and is) a white elite that considers itself cosmopolitan, european and progressive, and a vast undernourished, abandoned underclass neck deep in very serious Third World problems that is exploited and/or ignored by the 'Belgium' stratum.

Another quote from those times was "Brazil doesn't have pockets of poverty. It has pockets of wealth and excess."

Fair enough, guess I'm just desperate for some high-brow, intellectual Right Wing bullshit.

Still think he comes off as the type of guy who likes to talk about the "purity" of people who grew up in extreme poverty at dinner parties.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/joemygod/status/765956740051443713

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
http://heatst.com/politics/must-see-photos-of-hillary-clinton-propped-up-on-pillows/

This is the best they can come up with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

Donald Trump needs to start sitting in the Iron Throne for interviews to show how much healthier he is.