Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Metal Gear 4 Dead: Mercenaries

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jesus christ

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
I already lowered my expectations so much knowing this day would come where they'd announce a new one and somehow they still got to me.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I will probably play whatever it is

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Its got Metal Gear written on it

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

I.N.R.I posted:

Its got Metal Gear written on it

konami knows it'll sell just because of that

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Metal Gear: Federation Force

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Metal Gear Survive is definitely a game

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

rear end posted:

konami knows it'll sell just because of that

:stare: Dude... I think your right

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dude what if konami made a hero shooter with all your favorite metal gear characters? Imagine Gray Fox zooming through the battlefield with double jumps and shuriken throws, Decoy Octopus disguising as the enemy to stab them in the back, Para-Medic using her healing gun to heal the "tank" character, Vulcan Raven, as he mows down enemies with his gun? Seriously, I'm glad that hack Kojima isn't there to stop people from putting such awesome concepts to life.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Metal [Vince looking up]
Gear [Vince getting excited]
Solid [Vince does double take]
Zombie [Vince Standing up mouth agape]
MOBA [Vince falls back in chair, stunned]

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Dude what if konami made a hero shooter with all your favorite metal gear characters? Imagine Gray Fox zooming through the battlefield with double jumps and shuriken throws, Decoy Octopus disguising as the enemy to stab them in the back, Para-Medic using her healing gun to heal the "tank" character, Vulcan Raven, as he mows down enemies with his gun? Seriously, I'm glad that hack Kojima isn't there to stop people from putting such awesome concepts to life.

Me gusta :stare:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

Metal [Vince looking up]

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Black Baby Goku posted:

Metal [Vince looking up]

tehpango
Sep 27, 2005
Famicontra
Anyone remember Metal Gear Mobile for J2ME? I remember beating it on my old phone. They tried to throw in some strange plot twist about Raiden at the end.

Surprise, turns out the whole thing was a simulation as experienced by Jack.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tehpango

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

Metal [Vince looking up]

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/329002165068779520

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Shots fired

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WarrenIsDead/status/695055389503524864

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/seclusiveblue/status/765840179286401024

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I just fought The End for the first time and it took over an hour. It was a cool idea for a fight though.

Sophian
Jun 16, 2007
I'm nothing.
Congrats, gamer! Which method did you use?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sounds like the run around aimlessly while the End regenerates method to me.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

You know me so well!

After a while Major Zero took pity and told me to use the Directional Mic, and about that time I realised you could follow his footprints and they show up on Thermal Goggles, so a combination of those.

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

lol

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I did some nice early morning gaming and beat MGS4. I got the Bear ranking. The last boss and certain points in the game are really great but overall I have a much lower respect for this game after this playthrough.

The gameplay is good, when you get to play that is, but the storyline is so fuckin bad. The futurist military dystopia is cool but it's constantly undermined by awful melodrama and lovely (literally) jokes. I realize this is Metal Gear but it's on a whole other level. The fact that Johnny gets Meryl and marries her in the already super bloated ending is insane. Snake goes through total hell in this game yet they still didn't have the balls to finish him off with dignity. Instead Big Boss shows up at the last minute to steal the spotlight, drops some last minute lovely plot twists (Eva knew that the body in Act 3 belonged to Solidus? So why the gently caress did she get so upset and jump in the fire?) I realize the whole game is kind of an allegory for Kojima being sick of the series but Jesus Christ.

Every character is way more shallow then any other iteration they've had and the new ones are all totally worthless. Drebin sucks rear end and his weapon shop system totally undermines the stealth mechanic. Johnny is insanely out of place in this supposedly deadly serious war setting. The BB unit is shallow as gently caress and their cutscenes with the models crying and crawling around as the camera zooms up on their gyrating tits rear end and labia is super cringey. Their back stories are a total joke. Otacon cries more about a woman he barely knows. Naomi speaks in bullshit riddles about fate and genes. Vamp returns and does his thing but we're supposed to feel sorry for him when he dies? Snake goes from this super confident philosophical optimist in MGS2 to one note cynical rear end in a top hat who acts more like Naked Snake then the guy from MGS1 or 2. Speaking of MGS2, Raiden goes from clever player metaphor to another bullshit tragic ninja, this time with the melodrama cranked to 11. The fact that MGS4 exists as a sequel to MGS2 at all pisses all over the point and ending of that game. It should have totally ignored it.

In MGS4, Kojima clearly is trying to clean his hands of the series by wrapping up every loose end and injecting in as much retarded fan service as possible. The charming, light hearted support team from MGS3 turns out to be The Patriots, Para Medic is Dr. Clark, Sigint is the DARPA chief and Zero, the guy who was obsessed with Bond movies and wanted to make a snake-shaped gun turns out to be the insane Illuminati mastermind behind it all. I could go on but this is already a huge friggin post.

If I ever play it again, I'm definitely skipping every last cutscene. My apologies to elf help book (I think) when I made fun of him awhile back for saying he would do the same.

All that being said I would still rather play it then this Metal Gear Survive bullshit.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

beepstreet posted:

I did some nice early morning gaming and beat MGS4. I got the Bear ranking. The last boss and certain points in the game are really great but overall I have a much lower respect for this game after this playthrough.

The gameplay is good, when you get to play that is, but the storyline is so fuckin bad. The futurist military dystopia is cool but it's constantly undermined by awful melodrama and lovely (literally) jokes. I realize this is Metal Gear but it's on a whole other level. The fact that Johnny gets Meryl and marries her in the already super bloated ending is insane. Snake goes through total hell in this game yet they still didn't have the balls to finish him off with dignity. Instead Big Boss shows up at the last minute to steal the spotlight, drops some last minute lovely plot twists (Eva knew that the body in Act 3 belonged to Solidus? So why the gently caress did she get so upset and jump in the fire?) I realize the whole game is kind of an allegory for Kojima being sick of the series but Jesus Christ.

Every character is way more shallow then any other iteration they've had and the new ones are all totally worthless. Drebin sucks rear end and his weapon shop system totally undermines the stealth mechanic. Johnny is insanely out of place in this supposedly deadly serious war setting. The BB unit is shallow as gently caress and their cutscenes with the models crying and crawling around as the camera zooms up on their gyrating tits rear end and labia is super cringey. Their back stories are a total joke. Otacon cries more about a woman he barely knows. Naomi speaks in bullshit riddles about fate and genes. Vamp returns and does his thing but we're supposed to feel sorry for him when he dies? Snake goes from this super confident philosophical optimist in MGS2 to one note cynical rear end in a top hat who acts more like Naked Snake then the guy from MGS1 or 2. Speaking of MGS2, Raiden goes from clever player metaphor to another bullshit tragic ninja, this time with the melodrama cranked to 11. The fact that MGS4 exists as a sequel to MGS2 at all pisses all over the point and ending of that game. It should have totally ignored it.

In MGS4, Kojima clearly is trying to clean his hands of the series by wrapping up every loose end and injecting in as much retarded fan service as possible. The charming, light hearted support team from MGS3 turns out to be The Patriots, Para Medic is Dr. Clark, Sigint is the DARPA chief and Zero, the guy who was obsessed with Bond movies and wanted to make a snake-shaped gun turns out to be the insane Illuminati mastermind behind it all. I could go on but this is already a huge friggin post.

If I ever play it again, I'm definitely skipping every last cutscene. My apologies to elf help book (I think) when I made fun of him awhile back for saying he would do the same.

All that being said I would still rather play it then this Metal Gear Survive bullshit.

I disagree completely

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Can't imagine why MGS2 Snake, an invincible super-soldier with infinite ammo, would have a better outlook on life than MGS4 Snake, an old man whose body is the vector for a deadly virus.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
When I playes MGS4 this year, I loved the cutscenes. Then, a day after beating it, I started a new game and rewatched all the cutscenes to get the flashback trophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i think MGS4 is more focused with wrapping up plot threads than developing a main uh thematic base like the other games in the series. which is a shame because the stuff with old snake realising the world has moved on without him, going back to a similarly crippled shadow moses, fist fighting ocelot until they're both exhausted and battered etc was all really good

• Locked thread