Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

Now I really want to see what Frontier is hyping so much.

My guess is new spaceship skins and the ability to buy different color spacesuits for your avatars when they arrive.

And some vague hand waving about alien signals and a mystery to be solved! (mystery not yet implemented)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

mystery implemented but they forgot to put in one crucial step, again. Again.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

My guess is new spaceship skins and the ability to buy different color spacesuits for your avatars when they arrive.

And some vague hand waving about alien signals and a mystery to be solved! (mystery not yet implemented)

I don't think Frontier would go through all this effort (Gamescom! Watch the Streams! Prizes! Forum Q&A! Tons of new things!) just for that. Or was that a joke at CIG's expense? Because I would be down to making fun of Star Citizen's "effort" at Gamescom. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Polo-Rican posted:

what I want most is: "we actually sat some users in front of the game, did some user testing, and realized the game is basically unplayable without the help of external guides — so we've added well written, optional tooltips to basically everything in-game."

This would actually be cool, because alttabing in VR isn't the simplest thing ever.

Alternatively, make one of the gaze windows/tabs open eddb.io.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3gOrS251oQ

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 17, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm excited, not so much for the idea of ship launched fighters, but for the implications for other co-operative mechanics they'll probably have to implement in order to achieve it.

Do we have a list of proposed things that will be in 2.2 or is that getting revealed at gamescom?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

While conceptually cool who is going to eject from their Anaconda mid battle to jump into something squishier than a Sidewinder?

I mean sure plenty of traders are excited at the idea of launching a guardian player from their hanger when they get interdicted. Because they don't want that other player flying their own perfectly good ship alongside them for some reason, just being AFK from boredom and thus useless anyway.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to use this and like it, because it's the best thing. Long jump range of a conda, park it somewhere safe, go dogfight with a ship that's actually fun to fly. Best of both worlds!

This isn't going to be happen, is it? Will these even have a friendship drive?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Truga posted:

I'm going to use this and like it, because it's the best thing. Long jump range of a conda, park it somewhere safe, go dogfight with a ship that's actually fun to fly. Best of both worlds!

This isn't going to be happen, is it? Will these even have a friendship drive?

If this is coupled with multi-crew (and multi-crew made sense), then you would be able to run the Conda with a friend, explore around while chatting about mercury bullets and if something/someone rudely interrupted, you could get into the Condor while your mate mans the conda (and maybe another guy the conda turrets).

I don't think that the Condor has a friendship drive.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DancingShade posted:

While conceptually cool who is going to eject from their Anaconda mid battle to jump into something squishier than a Sidewinder?

I mean sure plenty of traders are excited at the idea of launching a guardian player from their hanger when they get interdicted. Because they don't want that other player flying their own perfectly good ship alongside them for some reason, just being AFK from boredom and thus useless anyway.

Meh. It won't really work against NPCs because you can just low-wake out from those interdictions. It serves little purpose against players because they can just do the same.

Depending on the weight and what you'll be able to do with those ships as far as equipping them, it may have some purpose for exploration and mission-running.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Sadly, I'm zero interested in fighters outside of CQC, so that promotion isn't doing anything for me. I'm waiting for the other stuff. The good stuff.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dante80 posted:

I don't think that the Condor has a friendship drive.

Welp. If they make it at least work like SRV where you can dismiss/recall your ship that might work for me then. Otherwise, I guess I'm going to keep on clipping on.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yeah, short of adding in new enemy types that can't be reliably targeted and killed by regular ships, no frameshift (as in “can't even travel between planets”) would make them largely pointless other than for arranged fights and maybe base assaults.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Rasmussen posted:

mystery implemented but they forgot to put in one crucial step, again. Again.

Did this actually happen because :lol: if so.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I just want a swarm of NPC fighters fighting for me lesser targets while I focus larger ones. Cannon fodder, basically.

And this interests me:

quote:

Launched vessels can be either NPC or CMDR piloted, and will be used to fight off enemy craft, or act as scouting vessels on planets.

Also shaved spacewaifu.

EDIT: I only now received Digital Art Book? Huh? I forgot I should have one. Ok.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 17, 2016

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Did this actually happen because :lol: if so.

Oh yes, it did. The last round of the dangerous games was to haul gems from a ship wreckage, but the groups had to find it first. Clues were put in to help find it and were solved at a good pace until the groups got to one and every group got stuck for many hours. Frontier had even said, "Yep! We've confirmed the wreckage POI is live and in game!". Then someone at FDev figured out they forgot to put the last clue in/turn it on to find the correct system.

Instead of some groups being ahead of others in solving the clues, the delay had every group at the same step and the last clue was solved very quickly, so everyone got to hauling at the same time, making the whole hunt for the wreckage pointless.

:frontear:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

That artbook was worth the wait. Go download it now..C:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

That artbook was worth the wait. Go download it now..C:

Hey sweet, I totally forgot I had the game pre-ordered! The email arrived just now. When I'm back home from work I'll download the artbook and take a look.

What a nice surprise for today. :)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
They're going to have to do some kind of serious revamp to combat for fighters to be viable. There's a reason people don't just fly Eagles and Vipers into fights, and I don't expect this to address that. There isn't much that's fun to shoot at when you've got maybe 1-2 small mounts and your ship vaporizes (shields and all) from a single seeker salvo.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Just let me walk around my ship so I can ogle my bunk and cargo hold and dumb poo poo like that and I'll be a happy little weirdo and never ever complain about Frontier ever ever again :sweatdrop:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

As long as they realistically model being interdicted while taking a dump.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Trustworthy posted:

Just let me walk around my ship so I can ogle my bunk and cargo hold and dumb poo poo like that and I'll be a happy little weirdo and never ever complain about Frontier ever ever again :sweatdrop:

Boy do I have a game for you!

oRGy
May 8, 2014
Artbook:
Artbook is cool. Looks like at least two previously unknown ships have extensive concept art: some sort of "Independent Fighter" and what looks like the Krait from the earlier games P25-27.

(Would be cool if they brought back the Krait, Constrictor, and Boa from the earlier games as the fighter/med/cargo pirate faction ships, you could make them cheaper and more versatile at the expense of pure quality and have them available only at independent systems or something..)

Alternative / future buggy designs on P52, that look quite bigger.

Also surprisingly extensive concept art for station interiors. Last pages, e.g. on P90 they have renders of private room interiors, reception, etc. Also avatars now feature hair and beards so I can create my "Sean Murray" lookalike.

Gamescom:
Drones/Fighters: I also don't see how they would be useful without rebalancing the whole ship meta to somewhat resemble a game design rather than a bunch of stats thrown into a blender. It's only in the last patch that they appear to have realised that small ships could have a speed advantage, for example. See EVE which does this mostly right (different roles for bigger ships etc).

oRGy fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 17, 2016

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

DancingShade posted:

I'd love to do this if eagles and the like got an extreme speed / acceleration buff... like, literally double or triple what it is currently. Zipping around anacondas in a REALLY, REALLY fast fighter would be so much fun.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

I'd love to do this if eagles and the like got an extreme speed / acceleration buff... like, literally double or triple what it is currently. Zipping around anacondas in a REALLY, REALLY fast fighter would be so much fun.

It would also allow them better to survive against turrets and seekers, I suppose.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA_FcXnyV5Q

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

New stations, passenger missions, I think I saw the Beluga liner?, a new fighter for the alliance and possibly aliens for 2.2 .

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

So 2.2 is going to add content which isn't really content? I mean yeah fighter ships seems interesting. But what exactly is it adding? Same with transport missions and station interiors. You're still hauling x to y, only this time you're a space bus instead of a space truck.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
As usual the new stuff looks and sounds super slick. I guess we'll see how it actually works into the gameplay.

Personally I wouldn't be too bummed if the fighters didn't have an FSD. I wasn't expecting much more than a flying SRV in the first place, and I think that's basically what we're going to get.

It would be cool if they reworked combat mechanics to make them more relevant, but I'd also be content using fighters mainly to scout POIs and other stuff on planets.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Sultan Tarquin posted:

So 2.2 is going to add content which isn't really content? I mean yeah fighter ships seems interesting. But what exactly is it adding? Same with transport missions and station interiors. You're still hauling x to y, only this time you're a space bus instead of a space truck.

Well...season 2 is planetary landings, engineers, looting and crafting, multicrew, commander creation and ship launched fighters.

2.2 is ship launched fighters, adding functionality to passenger ships (the Orca has been around for a while) and some new assets. At least, that is what has been hinted so far. I don't think the alien part is coming now, probably season 3.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
gently caress, those new stations look baller as hell. And I like the guidance thingy for fighter jets when they dock. Looks really cool.

Also I think people are missing the point of fighters -- they seem like primarily as a means to let other people join your ship and still have something to do. Otherwise multicrew is going to be really pointless.

2 v 1, even of one of those 2 is a lovely little fighter, actually can turn the tide in a close fight. A small, hard to hit fighter harassing targets can be fun as hell, just ask any of the DF meepers or suicide sled pilots.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 17, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dante80 posted:

Well...season 2 is planetary landings, engineers, looting and crafting, multicrew, commander creation and ship launched fighters.

2.2 is ship launched fighters, adding functionality to passenger ships (the Orca has been around for a while) and some new assets. At least, that is what has been hinted so far. I don't think the alien part is coming now, probably season 3.

Their last update for content year is marked as ???? in their timeline so I'm expecting characters and multicrew for the next patch and the introduction to aliens and whatever it is in the one after that, which naturally leads into next years content.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Dante80 posted:

I guess I'm just waiting for the thing you know. The update that adds multiple layers of complex gameplay that isn't just hauling but with different cargo. Multi crew ships could actually be pretty fun but then you look past it and realise that there's really nothing worth fighting over other than fighting itself.

If they reveal season 3 is player owned stations, factions, mining outposts and all that fancy poo poo straight from EVE then that would actually be amazing.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I guess I'm just waiting for the thing you know. The update that adds multiple layers of complex gameplay that isn't just hauling but with different cargo. Multi crew ships could actually be pretty fun but then you look past it and realise that there's really nothing worth fighting over other than fighting itself.

If they reveal season 3 is player owned stations, factions, mining outposts and all that fancy poo poo straight from EVE then that would actually be amazing.

I think you are going to wait forever man. This is not EVE 2.0, nor do they want it to be like that. I think they are simply making a super FE2/FFE, with some pseudoMMO (mostly COOP) features. I see them working on years to come on this (Braben will not drop his baby down), but I don't think they are going to change their concept for the game easily. We as the players are only part of the story that they want to make, not the protagonists.

I am fine with that you know, but that is a pretty niche game.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 17, 2016

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Aliens have the potential to add a lot to the gameplay, depending on how they handle it. If aliens just kind of randomly pop-in to random systems and attack, that will be boring. If there are packets of distant systems far from human space that are thick with alien ships, and if returning alien materials to human stations gives you huge profits, that will be awesome — an entirely new way of making money that's simultaneously high-risk and heavy on long-distance travel and exploring.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In other news...this panel shows a couple of interesting tabs.

I assume that helm and crew has to do with either changing your post (pilot-other crew position) or/and giving orders to AI crew.

Also, does this thing mean that a ship with a size 7 hangar can carry a lot more fighters at the same time? O_o

This, combined with AI crew would put a very different complexion the whole feature..

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 17, 2016

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Aliens have the potential to add a lot to the gameplay, depending on how they handle it. If aliens just kind of randomly pop-in to random systems and attack, that will be boring. If there are packets of distant systems far from human space that are thick with alien ships, and if returning alien materials to human stations gives you huge profits, that will be awesome — an entirely new way of making money that's simultaneously high-risk and heavy on long-distance travel and exploring.

Aye if these long distant FTL drive rumours end up coming true it could open up new avenues for explorers tracking down aliens so the combat ships can come in, clean up then the haulers can truck the alien poo poo back to sell. But the rate they're dishing out the alien story and the way they go about it I just hope it comes sooner than the next ice age. People figure out the secrets and then they lead nowhere while FDEV wait x amount of arbitrary time to add the next breadcrumb that doesn't lead anywhere.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dante80 posted:

I am fine with that you know, but that is a pretty niche game.
So is EvE though.

For all people big it up, the playerbase is mostly the same 10 loving guys multiboxing.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

tooterfish posted:

So is EvE though.

For all people big it up, the playerbase is mostly the same 10 loving guys multiboxing.

Agreed. I used to play EVE a lot, and I still adore it. It is a niche game though. And pretty autistic too.

It reminds me of an old Yahtzee quote. "Eve Online is a glorified, space themed chat room for the nerds that are to nerds what nerds are to regular people"...

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What frustrates me about Elite is that it's still a game that, at least to me, fails to give me any real reason to do something. There's very little player agency, especially with respect to the BGS, and while it's clear that Braben wants it that way it's a real shame because that just doesn't appeal to me. I would love to be able to put some kind of mark on the game universe, like having the right to colonize a planet or erect a space station in deep space. Given how large the universe is I feel like something that would be viable and still allow them to maintain their region of perfect control, especially if they required you to have colonization rights that only permitted you to settle on a planet that was some distance from the bubble.

There's a lot of ways I could fantasize about that happening, but it's just a fantasy.

• Locked thread