Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I might as well write a ton of words about my team, the Lightning.

Let's start with the forwards:

Daniel Sedin-Tyler Seguin-Jakub Voracek
Sam Bennett-Nicklas Backstrom-Travis Konecny
Andrew Cogliano-Tomas Plekanec-J.T. Miller
Riley Nash/Cody Eakin-Nick Cousins-Nic Petan
Evgeni Svechnikov

The first line is obviously excellent. Voracek is an excellent playmaker, and he should be able to feed both Tyler Seguin - who is a surefire 30 goal scorer - and Daniel Sedin - who has also scored 30 goals multiple times and is coming off a 28 goal campaign. They're also all excellent possession drivers. Beyond that, the forward situation is a bit more fluid. Right now, I have Nicklas Backstrom centering Sam Bennett and Travis Konecny on the second line. Both Bennett and Konecny are natural centers, but I have quite the abundance of centers, and putting them on a line with a veteran center, particularly one with Backstrom's pedigree, should allow them to do what they do best, which is score. Bennett, as a 19 year old rookie, put up 36 points in 77 games last season. Konecny spent his post-draft year in the OHL, scoring 101 points in 60 games. He's a small, offensively gifted forward, who will hopefully jump right in to the role I'd be giving him. He's pretty clearly my top prospect, and I hope to give him every chance to succeed.

The bottom six has less scoring talent than my top two lines, but they can still drive play a bit. Plekanec is a consistent 50 point center, and while he's getting a bit older, and won't be given quite as much ice time, I still think he can score 40 points a year. Cogliano is an absolute workhorse, who hasn't missed a single game in his career. He's coming off a 32 point campaign despite a career low 6.9 shooting percentage. J.T. Miller is another good two way player, and while I don't think he'll live up to his first round pedigree, he should be a consistent 10-15 goal scorer, if not better. The fourth line is, in a lot of ways, similar to the third line. Cousins and Petan weren't incredibly impressive during their first seasons, but they've shown they can score at lower levels, and they'll have easy assignments against other teams bottom lines to continue developing. Riley Nash and Cody Eakin will likely swap in and out of the lineup. Nash is the better possession player, but Eakin has more scoring talent. Either one is a good player to put on the fourth line, and I suspect if Cousins or Petan slump or if someone gets injured, one of the two will win a permanent job. Eakin's contract is not good, but I like him as a player, and he should be able to will a permanent role.

Svechnikov, a 2015 Red Wings 1st round draft pick, will start off in the minors, not affecting my rather crowded cap situation. Sedin, Plekanec, Cogliano, and Nash are all going to be UFA's after 2018, not only opening up a lot of cap space for me to sign both RFA's and UFA's, but also open up a spot for Svechnikov and any recent draft picks. The only forwards I have signed after 2018 are Seguin, Voracek, Backstrom, and Eakin, along with Konecny and Svechnikov on their ELC's.

The defense is a bit less impressive:

Sami Vatanen-Michael Stone
Julius Honka-Dan Hamhuis
Brandon Davidson-Brandon Manning
Greg Pateryn

In a lot of ways, I picked my defenders mostly for their scoring talents. Both Vatanen and Stone aren't excellent possession drivers, but they can both score, and they can both move the puck pretty well. The plan is less to have them be top flight D-men, and more for them to get the puck forward as quickly as possible. This is part of the reason why I chose Peter Laviolette to be head coach as well. His system, which emphasizes attacking waves, is suited well to puck movers. On the second pairing, I have Julius Honka, one of the Stars top defensive prospects. He's definitely more of an offensive D-man than a two way player, but being paired with Hamhuis, a good all-around defenseman, should let him take risks on the blueline without having to worry too much. Both Brandon's on the bottom pair have good fancy stats overall, despite a lack of top end offensive talent. Pateryn, a very generic young defenseman, should be able to step in on the third pairing if anyone gets injured. In terms of the cap, Vatanen is under contract until 2020; other than him, all of my defensemen are free agents before then, either RFA or UFA. The impending cap room involved in the departure of Daniel Sedin and a couple other forwards should allow me to shore up the defense in a couple years when Dan Hamhuis departs as well.

Before I talk about the goaltending, I figure I'll post my special teams units.

The power play:

Sedin-Seguin-Voracek
Backstrom-Vatanen

Miller-Bennett-Konecny
Plekanec-Stone

The first unit is meant to overwhelm the opposition with talent. Voracek and Backstrom can both be powerplay quarterbacks if need be, but I think Backstrom is probably better at it. The second unit, much like the second line, is designed to give Bennett and Konecny every chance to succeed. The front line forwards can probably be shuffled around a bit, but I like Plekanec as the quarterback more than any of the other players I have there. Perhaps one of the forwards could be moved to the first unit so Voracek can organize the second. In addition, Honka will likely get powerplay time as well; maybe I could use two defensemen on the second unit, pairing Honka and Stone.

The penalty kill:

Cogliano-Voracek
Vatanen-Hamhuis

Eakin-Plekanec
Davidson-Manning/Pateryn

I'm kind of stretching resources thin on the penalty kill, as I don't have a lot of forwards who have done it in the past. I'm banking on Voracek's superior possession skills and offensive creativity to turn the top unit into something more of a play driver rather than a strict penalty kill unit. I suspect, just like the rest of the team, the penalty kill will be quite aggressive, and score quite a few shorthanded goals to go along with a lot of powerplay goals allowed.

The goaltending is much simpler. Ben Bishop is an excellent goaltender, and he's under contract for the next year. Philipp Grubauer is a more than capable backup; if he ends up being good enough to start, the Lightning could let Bishop go, sign a backup, and make Grubauer the starter. Or they could sign him to an extension and rely on both of them. They're both NHL caliber, and they should help bail out a less than amazing defense. I think, between the goaltending and the agressive forwards, the Lightning would be bound for the playoffs, if not an Atlantic division title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Price have to MVP-will it in

the most Montreal of quotes

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
my team has the highest SAT scores

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Teemu Pokemon posted:

my team has the highest SAT scores

Too bad you can't draft Tom Poti to captain your team full of loving nerds.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
So, 9 of my 23 players are either a UFA or an RFA after this season.

That could be a long-term problem, though I shouldn't have to worry about not having the room to pay Barzal or Vesey if they're successful

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Too bad you can't draft Tom Poti to captain your team full of loving nerds.

He's currently one of my best scouts, checking out libraries across the country

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i'll take sergei plotnikov with my last pick. his name is awesome

my team, coached by karri kivi:

david pastrnak - mikael granlund - tomas hertl
andrei burakovsky - jori lehtera - marian gaborik
oscar lindberg - victor rask - elias lindholm
sergei plotnikov - zemgus girgensons - anton rodin

roman josi - john klingberg
anton stralman - nikita zaitsev
carl gunarsson - nikita nesterov
erik gustafsson - jryki jokipakka
luca sbisa

thomas greiss
eddie lack

obviously i'll have to trade a dman or two for a couple veteran forwards at the deadline, but i like my team

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

i'll take sergei plotnikov with my last pick. his name is awesom

He signed back in Russia and doesn't have an NHL contract. Is he permitted?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Emerson Etem for my last forward.

I like my top 3 centers. My wings are eh unless Nash and Pominville bounce back but that second line will shut down if not score. One of the kids could displace Roussel. That defence is sneakily good if healthy, and young. 1st round playoff bounce I'd guess

At least they're better than the real deal.

Rieder - Monahan - Tarasenko
Nash - Staal - Pominville
C.Wilson - Soderberg- Roussel
Blandisi - T. Mitchell - Jurco

Ex: Scott Wilson, Emerson Etem

Maatta - Jones
De Haan - Parayko
Zadorov - Marincin

Ex: Petteri Lindbohm

Gibson
Hutchinson

Coached by Gerard Gallant (of the Panthers)

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 17, 2016

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

ThinkTank posted:

I mean he can have him but he's not eligible for his team

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sergei Plotnikov was a terrible disappointment but his fancy stats make him look like some sort of lesser hockey deity.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Infidel Castro posted:

Oh hey, Vladislav Kamenev is still available. Guess I have my centre prospect now!

THE PHILADELPHIA FLYERS ROSTER

L. Eriksson - S. Stamkos - R. Smith
K. Fiala - V. Trocheck - J. Donskoi
V. Arvidsson - M. Grigorenko - M. Read
P. Bellemare - S. Laughton - M. Salomaki

T. Barrie - O. Klefbom
C. Murphy - R. Murray
A. Petrovic - T. Sanheim
J. Wisniewski

F. Andersen
J. Korpisalo

HC - Peter DeBoer

Minors - B. Leipsic, V. Kamenev

This team will probably be pretty good in a yesr or two.

I refuse to believe that anyone would name their child Oak Hewer except as a nasty practical joke.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh poo poo there is one more pick still? What the hell, gimme Dale Weise in all his bad Philly contract glory.

Pretty sure if your teams lose to my team, you should just quit hockey. Forever.

Perreault-Fabbri-Perry
Pearson-Desharnais-Teravainen
Ho Sang-Kruger-Dano
Wilson-White-Shaw
Danault,Weise

Keith-Ekblad
Wideman-Hjalmarsson
Kostka-Girardi (this pair will probably cause most Rangers fans to have horrible PTSD flashbacks while I cackle maniacally)
Pardy

Crawford
Niemi

Coach: Angry Paul Maurice

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ThinkTank posted:

is sergei kalinin taken then? if so, i guess i'll take the lesser granlund

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Lucic - O'Reilly - Niedereitter
Abdelkader - Matthews - Stafford
Wennberg - Sheahan - Soshnikov
Mackenzie - Sceviour - Garbutt

Beaulieu - Shattenkirk
McQuaid- Trouba
Nurse - Kindl

Vasilevski
Pavelac

Scratch: Prout, TBD, TBD

Farm - Forsberg, Roslovic

Coach: Paul MacLean

Who the gently caress knows with this squad.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Lucic - O'Reilly - Niedereitter
Abdelkader - Matthews - Stafford
Wennberg - Sheahan - Soshnikov
Mackenzie - Sceviour - Garbutt

Beaulieu - Shattenkirk
McQuaid- Trouba
Nurse - Kindl

Vasilevski
Pavelac

Scratch: Prout, TBD, TBD

Farm - Forsberg, Roslovic

Coach: Paul MacLean

Who the gently caress knows with this squad.

This team reads a lot like the current Buffalo Sabres to me - with a better generational talent and defense (but only just with the defense. I'd say swap Kindl and McQuaid so you have at least 2/3 capable pairings because that 3rd is going to get lit up regardless.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 17, 2016

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I'll take Joel Eriksson Ek for the last pick cause that's a cool name

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
So we were all in favour of an expansion draft, yes? Should we recruit a Vegas GM after the community picks for the remaining teams and after the sim is done?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Yaya posted:

So we were all in favour of an expansion draft, yes? Should we recruit a Vegas GM after the community picks for the remaining teams and after the sim is done?

Absolutely

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm pretty sure I could protect my entire team outside of Zatkoff and my fourth line lol

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yaya posted:

If this is done Im not simming post-expansion draft in EHM, just what we ended with here. :colbert:

Assuming I figure out how to create a new roster file in EHM to begin with. Shits a lot more confusing than I anticipated. :negative:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Someone c/d if I'd have to protect Demko or not because unless I read the rules wrong, I think that he won't have enough pro time?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Furnaceface posted:

If this is done Im not simming post-expansion draft in EHM, just what we ended with here. :colbert:

Assuming I figure out how to create a new roster file in EHM to begin with. Shits a lot more confusing than I anticipated. :negative:

Just find an updated roster you like and do a fantasy draft with 30 teams controlled, that's what I did.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Someone c/d if I'd have to protect Demko or not because unless I read the rules wrong, I think that he won't have enough pro time?

People on ELC's are exempt.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Yaya posted:

People on ELC's are exempt.

I think it's just first/second year pros and unsigned prospects. If you're on the third year of your ELC you have to be protected.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I am not going to figure out who's protected on the Sabres

Palat - MacKinnon - C. Smith
Hagelin - Johnson - Meier
Kunitz - E. Staal - Hartnell
Crouse - Tierney - Nieto
Sorensen, Ek

Sekera-Subban
B. Smith-Pietrangelo
Morrissey-Y. Weber
Chabot

Bobrovsky
Khudobin

Jon Cooper

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

T-Bone posted:

I think it's just first/second year pros and unsigned prospects. If you're on the third year of your ELC you have to be protected.

So I don't have to protect Larkin either :getin:

E: or is it when you're going into the 3rd year, because then I definitely have to protect him

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Use the General Fanager expansion tool to figure it out you drat nerds

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Yeah, basically just go through the teams your players are from on General Fanager and see if they're auto-protected/exempt

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

eXXon posted:

This team will probably be pretty good in a yesr or two.

I refuse to believe that anyone would name their child Oak Hewer except as a nasty practical joke.

That's basically the time table I was going for. Hell, I think I have a decent shot at a lower playoff seed right off the bat, but I really was building for the long term.

Plus the expansion draft shouldn't hurt too bad. Sanheim, Fiala, Kamenev, and Donskoi are all exempt, so I can protect pretty much everyone of any real importance.

Stamkos, Smith, Trocheck, Klefbom, Barrie, and Murphy are for sure getting protected. I'm leaning Korpisalo for my protected goalie. Really the only decision I need to make is do I protect Murphy and either Grigorenko or Arvidsson, or protect both of the forwards and I guess Eriksson maybe?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
LA Kings Expansion Draft

Protected
F1. Leon Draisatl
F2. Jonathan Drouin
F3. Jakub Silfverberg
F4. Frans Nielsen (NMC)
F5. Henrik Zetterberg
F6. Radek Faksa
F7. Troy Brouwer
F8. Connor McDavid (auto)
F9. Tyson Jost (auto)

D1. Jake Muzzin
D2. Matt Niskanen
D3. Kevin Bieksa (NMC)
D4. Anthony DeAngelo (auto)

G1. Andrew Hammond
G2. Ilya Samsonov (auto)

Exposed
Patrick Maroon (F)
Vladimir Sobotka (F)
Luke Glendening (F)
Trevor Lewis (F)
Kevan Miller (D)
Colin Miller (D)
Justin Braun (D)
Roberto Luongo (G)

No difficult decisions here. I don't like exposing Braun over Bieksa but lol at Bieksa having a NMC. Hammond v. Luongo took a minute but I need to be prepared in case ol' Bobby Lu is dead. I think better goalies will be in play, as well, so I'm not super worried.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Protected
Claude Giroux
Jonathan Toews
Patrik Berglund
Nick Foligno
Travis Zajac
Lars Eller
Patrik Elias
Torey Krug
Jason Demers
Jared Spurgeon
Tuukka Rask

Exempt
Kyle Connor
Mikko Rantanen
Nick Schamltz
Brock Boeser
Steven Santini
Michal Kempny
Ivan Provorov
Olli Juolevi
Pierre-Luc Dubois
Matthew Tkachuk
Michal Kempny

Exposed
Jeff Zatkoff
Mike Richards

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Missed a few depth picks so I'll update this but here's who I'm protecting in bold. Exempt is in italics.

James Neal - Ryan Getzlaf - Patrick Kane
Andrew Ladd - Boone Jenner - Patrick Marleau

Viktor Stalberg - Curtis Lazar - Jesper Fast
Matt Puempel - Chris Kelly - Mason Raymond

Brent Seabrook - Shea Weber
Tobias Enstrom - Cody Ceci
Mirco Mueller - Luke Schenn

x Haydyn Fleury

Michal Neuvirth
Jacob Markstrom

Available for expansion draft:

FW: Stalberg, Fast, Puempel, Kelly, Raymond

D: Enstrom, Mueller, Schenn

G: Markstrom

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Unless there's something I don't know about the Millers, Braun is as good as gone.

My lovely team:

Schwartz-Barkov-Hornqvist
Vrana-Little-Hansen
Pouliot-Reinhart-Bjorkstrand
Prince-Fehr-Kulemin
(Logan Brown)

DeKeyser-Faulk
Hickey-Larsson
Theodore-Fayne
(Forsling)-(Bowey)

Domingue
Husso

The centers own. They'll be better than the Giroux-Johansen-Eller-Jarnkrok group I picked first time around, more likely than not. If Vrana and Bjorkstrand are all they're cut out to be, and they should, the wingers will be nice too. The top line are all good possession-wise and the rest are at at least decent while being kwality point producers. In fact, sorting forwards by P/60 over the last two seasons, I've got Schwartz (27), Hornqvist (49), Barkov (52), Pouliot (50), Little (76) and Hansen (84) in the top 90 league-wide. Kulemin sucked badly the past season but he can PK and he gets me within spitting distance of the cap floor.

Faulk is a good young #1D. Larsson has proven to be worth Taylor Hall and can be buried with tough defensive zone starts, kind of like Phaneuf was but instead of taking dumb penalties he is just kind of there. DeKeyser doesn't appear to have any particular talents and is sadly not suited to a top pairing role. Hickey is an underrated point producer and plays more minutes than most #5 D and so could handle a promotion but really I'm just praying that Theodore is ready for big minutes. Forsling was good in the SHL so maybe he'll transition to the pros quickly - probably not in real life unless that Kempny character is a huge bust. Bowey didn't have a particularly outstanding rookie AHL season so who knows. He did headshot a decent Leafs prospect in the playoffs so if he doesn't pan out, gently caress him. Fayne had an awful stretch to start the season but after getting back from banishment to Oklahoma he was at least average while paired with Sekera. He won't play big minutes anyway.

I have never seen either of those goalies play and I'm not convinced that they're real.

Oh right, the coach is Dave Hakstol. He is youngish and seems to have done a good job with the Flyers and their tire fire defense, even dragging them to the playoffs in the wasteland that is the Eastern Conference. He'll feel right at home with this group, I think, even if it's lacking an above-average goalie.

Protected:

1. Schwartz
2. Barkov
3. Hornqvist
4. Little
5. Hansen
6. Pouliot
7. Prince

1. Faulk
2. Larsson
3. Hickey

Exposed
1. Eric Fehr
2. Nikolai Kulemin
3. Danny DeKeyser
4. Thomas Hickey
5. Mark Fayne
6. Louis Domingue?

I picked so many ineligible players that I'd have to expose Domingue according to the dumb rules but are we seriously following them to the letter?

Anyway, in this fantasy universe I'd expose DeKeyser over Hickey because Ken Holland signed him to an overly rich contract for what he brings. Otherwise I'd keep him over Hickey. I would not shed tears over anyone else on that list.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 17, 2016

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Exposed
Jeff Zatkoff
Mike Richards

Teams must expose one defenceman who played 40 NHL games the previous year, two forwards who played 40 games and one goaltender under contract.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

Teams must expose one defenceman who played 40 NHL games the previous year, two forwards who played 40 games and one goaltender under contract.

/signs Stephen GIonta, Eric Gelinas, Joseph Blandisi

I've got what, 26 contract slots at least left? Probably more with Boeser?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Maatta - Jones
De Haan - Parayko
Zadorov - Marincin

Gibson
Hutchinson

Parayko is auto-protected thank christ. My only big waffling decision is whether I'd expose Zadorov or De Haan. I hate to expose De Haan but he's due a big raise and Zadorov is younger and getting better (not to mention putting up better suppression numbers on an infinitely worse team.)

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Maatta - Jones
De Haan - Parayko
Zadorov - Marincin

Gibson
Hutchinson

Parayko is auto-protected thank christ. My only big waffling decision is whether I'd expose Zadorov or De Haan. I hate to expose De Haan but he's due a big raise and Zadorov is younger and getting better (not to mention putting up better suppression numbers on an infinitely worse team.)

Your decision is about to be a lot easier because you can only protect 3 defensemen.

e: Nevermind, didn't realise Parayko was exempt.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Paulocaust posted:

Your decision is about to be a lot easier because you can only protect 3 defensemen.

Parayko is going into his second year. He's safe in this context. In the real draft it would be that much worse for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Skinner-Kopitar-Coyle
Domi-Horvat -Okposo
Bailey-McCann-Kassian
Paul-Vatrano-Stewart

Scratches/AHL: Copp, Compher

Brodie-Edler
Kulikov-Montour
Hutton-Gudbranson