Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

w00tmonger posted:

Any advice on how you would go about doing something like whats done in the purple grooves here?
When painting pretty much anything ever, I always start with the "deepest" color, that is the color in the most recessed area. It's WAY easier to use light strokes on raised surfaces and keep paint from running into crevices (especially with a lightly-loaded brush) than it is to try to paint fine lines into a recess without getting any on the raised area. So in this case, I'd say paint the grooves with a dark purple, give them just a little bit of highlighting here and there (on upper surfaces where light would naturally fall or where the underlying musculature "raises" the entire surface). Then I'd do whatever it is you do for flesh, with the final step of blending the tiniest bit of purple into the highlights you use for the hexagonal areas. That will give the skin that sort of android-esque "uncanny valley" color that's perfect for ALEPH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I got a new can of Testor's clear coat and sprayed a couple light layers on a mini I used quick shade on, and the shine/gloss finish didn't get flattened like it normally does. What might be the issue and what should I do about it?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SRM posted:

Does anyone have a really good tutorial for painting faces? I wanna step up my game before I get to Guilliman.
There are bunch of them out there, but the Dr. Faust stuff will certainly get you started.

One thing I remember reading somewhere is that in general, men's faces have deeper shadows and sharper transitions between shade and highlight colors, whereas womens' faces tend to require much smoother color blends.

There are scads of different methods (base + wash + highlight, dark base + mid-tone + highlight, mid-tone + pick out shadowed areas + highlight, etc), and all have their merits. A lot depends on the skin tone you're going for. Lately, I've taken to using dark-base + mid-tone + highlight, but doing it in very thin glazes to allow me to get more precise color transitions (especially on female faces). Here's a dude I did just today, working on this month's Oath:

As you can see, the color transitions in the musculature are pretty sharp, and that's because I wanted him to have a chiseled, ripped, craggy, bat-poo poo-psychotic-motherfucker look.

Here, you can better see the extra step I took of shading his cheeks and head ever-so-slightly gray to indicate razor stubble on the side of his head. Note that the color transition in the muscularture of his arms is strong, but not overly cartoony (I hope).

Here he is from head-on, where you can better see his goatee and his eyebrows:

Eyebrows are important! Do not forget the eyebrows! Miniature faces without eyebrows look SUPER weird and not right.

All told, this guy was based with VMC US Field Drab, mid-toned with VMC Medium Fleshtone, and highlighted with VMC Flat Flesh. Ther was a little bit of blending going on between those, obviously, and I try to work with very thin layers. The razor stubble was my highlight color mixed with a little medium gray, and the tattoos are a mix of black and gray. Next time I do tattoos, I'll mix in a little bit of flesh tone to give them a more faded look - this dude looks like he stepped out of the tattoo parlor this morning. It's not exactly the look I was going for, but from table-top distance, it actually pops really nicely.

I hope that helps! Good luck with Guilliman, I know how nerve-wracking it can be to get those centerpiece models just right.

EDIT: And for all you jokers who carp about how cheesecakey CB's minis are (and don't get me wrong, there's definitely room for improvement there), I'd just like to point out that I painted nipples on a shirtless dude. So there. :colbert:

Ilor fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 17, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Unzip and Attack posted:

So I got a new can of Testor's clear coat and sprayed a couple light layers on a mini I used quick shade on, and the shine/gloss finish didn't get flattened like it normally does. What might be the issue and what should I do about it?
Did you make sure your quick shade was completely dry? Did you shake the bejeesus out of your Testors can? Are you spraying indoors, or outdoors? Bejeesus-shaking is highly recommended, especially as the humidity increases.

Another dose of Testors Dullcoat should do the trick, regardless.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Another quick question - is Testor's clear coat in the gray and blue can the same thing as testor's dullcoat?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

Does anyone have a really good tutorial for painting faces? I wanna step up my game before I get to Guilliman.

I'd ask serious gaylord how he did his Guilliman's man-face.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
random stuff

Skaven Warlord

Grey Seer

man with drank

Mantic Bulldog

Two-handed weapon guy

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Mine's in a tiny blue-and white can and says "dullcote" on the tag. But I think that might be the store tag.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Feeling waaay better about the head now (I have no idea why this phone makes it look so muddy and gross though). I could have done a better job on removing seamlines, I know.

If anyone has any obvious critiques like "those colors are horrendous" or "those arms look less filthy and more 'i had no idea what to use' " i'd appreciate them. Otherwise I'm finished interrupting posts of nice clean models with my ugly stuff :v:

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

WIP on the Fallen Frontiers Ares miniatures from the boxed game I got via Kickstarter.

Also WIP on the Riff for the same game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I bought a wet pallet at Guiry's today while I was picking up some stuff for my upcoming painting class. How much better is my life about to get?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Do you airbrush? If so, not a whole lot.

Do you blend with brushes? If so, your life is about to get a whooole lot better

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

Feeling waaay better about the head now (I have no idea why this phone makes it look so muddy and gross though). I could have done a better job on removing seamlines, I know.

If anyone has any obvious critiques like "those colors are horrendous" or "those arms look less filthy and more 'i had no idea what to use' " i'd appreciate them. Otherwise I'm finished interrupting posts of nice clean models with my ugly stuff :v:

I think either a darker/redder? wash on the arms or going back and picking out the spikes would go a long way. The arms are huge and look kind of same-y.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BULBASAUR posted:

Do you airbrush? If so, not a whole lot.

Do you blend with brushes? If so, your life is about to get a whooole lot better

I don't airbrush because I have no means of ventilation and my housemate would murder me. I'm just a slow rear end painter (for both model painting and fine arts) and saw a wet pallet at Guiry's for $11, so why not?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

These guys really really need some more depth - they are uniformly dull with only the highest of highlights on their armor popping even remotely. I would really really appreciate advice on how to spruce them up:

I'm thinking of keeping the armor dark, but using a couple of layers of highlighting on the skin and non-armor. In the past though, this has ended up chalky rather than brilliant. Again, please help!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone have a good guide to weathering vehicles, specifically with paint only and not using weathering powders? I have a boatload of post apocalyptic cars to paint painting things that are not shiny and new is not something I usually do for vehicles.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nebalebadingdong posted:

random stuff
Grey Seer

Is that a converted Dark Emissary from the Storm of Chaos campaign?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

From the Albion campaign even! Good times, those.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Indeed. One of my favorite models

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
If I use the Umber Paint + White Spirits technique on my Iron Warriors, what do I seal them with afterward?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Give them time for the solvent to evaporate (a day or two), then varnish as normal.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PantsOptional posted:

If I use the Umber Paint + White Spirits technique on my Iron Warriors, what do I seal them with afterward?

I usually give it about a day, then hit it with matte varnish so I can continue painting as normal.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I use brush-on varnishes and while I like the gloss from Liquitex the matte seems way too thick and goopy, and it leaves behind an almost milky layer, dulls colors too much etc. Is there a better matte or am I doing something horribly wrong? I'm not thinning it with water (label says not to) and I'm brushing for any excess with a second dry brush.

And I have a follow-up: I use cheapo brushes for varnishing of course but after a batch of models they get stiff from the varnish and rinsing them out thoroughly after using doesn't make it better. Only thing I've found that really works is a soak in simple green which I know is terrible for the brushes but they're poo poo anyway. Again: what am I doing that's stupid and bad?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

FireSight posted:

From the Albion campaign even! Good times, those.

Derp, yeah.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Indeed. One of my favorite models
It's a great conversion, and really fits well into the Skaven look.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

head58 posted:

I use brush-on varnishes and while I like the gloss from Liquitex the matte seems way too thick and goopy, and it leaves behind an almost milky layer, dulls colors too much etc. Is there a better matte or am I doing something horribly wrong? I'm not thinning it with water (label says not to) and I'm brushing for any excess with a second dry brush.

And I have a follow-up: I use cheapo brushes for varnishing of course but after a batch of models they get stiff from the varnish and rinsing them out thoroughly after using doesn't make it better. Only thing I've found that really works is a soak in simple green which I know is terrible for the brushes but they're poo poo anyway. Again: what am I doing that's stupid and bad?

I use the Liquitex Matte and I dilute it with water, so far I haven't ruined any models by doing that. I use a 50/50 mix and only very rarely do I feel the need to add a second coat.

Have you tried Pink Soap? Might be cheaper alternatives but I have a bottle and it seems to work fine for me.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

GoodBee posted:

I think either a darker/redder? wash on the arms or going back and picking out the spikes would go a long way. The arms are huge and look kind of same-y.

I'm glad I listened to your post; I did both, and I'm really liking the result:

The wash I settled on a darkish red (applied a bit too heavily, but I like the transition from orange of the arms to the red claws), and when that dryed I liberally drybrushed some yellowish white over the spikes and raised edges; I feel like the end result does a solid job of imitating that look of aquatic exoskeletons that have been dried out.

Also, a half-decent pic of the head's colors! Hooray!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I sort of slowed down on painting recently, so I figured I'd make myself paint more by doing some random Reaper Bones minis I had lying around.

Painted up three spooky skeletons, they are 2 spooky 4 me. The other two (blurry in the background) look basically the same with some different color choices.

Painted this random lady. I don't know her name.

I mostly use these minis with the Iron Kingdoms RPG that I sometimes play with friends, but I have no current plans to actually USE these guys for anything. Still, wanted to get 'em painted anyway. Fairly pleased with the results. Glad that I'm not completely incompetent at painting little dudes. I'm still pretty slow, though.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

head58 posted:

Like the other goon said, dilute them. Better yet, buy them in a can. I've always found varnishing much more effective when delivered via airbrush or aerosol can. I've brushed on matte before, but it's a lot of effort because you have to be super careful it doesn't pool (even diluted) since that will give you the milkiness. That's the stuff added to give the 'matte' appearance when dry.

Brushed on gloss is fine, since it doesn't have any additives that cause problems when it goes on thick.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Just in case there's any other Irish goons, Prince August is doing 20% off all their paints, including the 1 euro ones.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
So I'm trying to make an ink wash to match this video, but it's in german and I don't know what the gently caress. When it says Ink + White Spirits, is that basically Future, or do I need to buy more stupid art supplies that I'll use once a year?

Video is linked to the proper time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo3M1U0Nwl0&t=166s

Edit: Also, is airbrush advice now basically the same as in the OP? Painting this tank made me want to kill myself, and now I want an airbrush.

Dimo ArKacho fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 19, 2016

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Dimo ArKacho posted:

So I'm trying to make an ink wash to match this video, but it's in german and I don't know what the gently caress. When it says Ink + White Spirits, is that basically Future, or do I need to buy more stupid art supplies that I'll use once a year?

Edit: Also, is airbrush advice now basically the same as in the OP? Painting this tank made me want to kill myself, and now I want an airbrush.

That looks like an oil wash and not ink. I think Lukas Studio black is an oil paint, and white spirits is the same as odorless mineral spirits in the US.

Oil washes are awesome and cheap as gently caress. You should do them.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

dexefiend posted:

That looks like an oil wash and not ink. I think Lukas Studio black is an oil paint, and white spirits is the same as odorless mineral spirits in the US.

Oil washes are awesome and cheap as gently caress. You should do them.

Welp. Maybe if I'd googled that poo poo I'd know that. Cool. That seems easy enough.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Dimo ArKacho posted:

White spirits is mineral turpentine. I assume he's using an oil based ink, so it's basically an oil wash. It's good stuff for things like tanks and such.
I bought a set of cheap oil colors in tubes and a bottle of turpentine, so now I'm pretty much set for life.

Edit:
Efb.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

Electric Hobo posted:

White spirits is mineral turpentine. I assume he's using an oil based ink, so it's basically an oil wash. It's good stuff for things like tanks and such.
I bought a set of cheap oil colors in tubes and a bottle of turpentine, so now I'm pretty much set for life.

Edit:
Efb.

Yeah, I'm actually painting that exact tank and I'm really loving that dirty look he's getting, so I figured I'd try to replicate it.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

WIP on the Scale 75, Fallen Frontiers, Riff hero, Sihlas Fenn.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dr_ether posted:

Holy balls that is pretty. I have the Riffs and Sayx and they have some of the best designed-for-painting models I have seen.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

dr_ether posted:

God drat. This is really great. How did you do the base and pants? I really like that rich reddish brown color you've got going.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

God drat. This is really great. How did you do the base and pants? I really like that rich reddish brown color you've got going.

The base was done using the Vallejo Brown Earth texture paint. Then a base coat of P3 Bloodstone, and a dry brush of Scale 75 Mars Orange.

The trousers were airbrushed, with zenithal priming, a base colour of Vallejo Model Air Mahagony, and highlighted using Vallejo Game Color Leather Brown. There will be some final highlights and shades just to push the contrast. I want a good tan colour.

I have finished the Ares and will have photos up later, and I have today done the base colours for the Sayx.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I trying out 15mm stuff. I find it's good for learning new techniques. My first NMM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished Fallen Frontiers, Ares starter faction.