Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
A very powerful netplay coop mod was released yesterday to the public, finally.

http://yellowafterlife.itch.io/nuclear-throne-together

It uses peer to peer, goes through steam API and also comes with a lot of balancing tweaks for co-op itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Well this weekly is pretty poo poo. Steroids, Crown of Love, Energy Screwdriver. Have fun reloading till something drops a weapon worth a drat.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Smite posted:

A very powerful netplay coop mod was released yesterday to the public, finally.

http://yellowafterlife.itch.io/nuclear-throne-together

It uses peer to peer, goes through steam API and also comes with a lot of balancing tweaks for co-op itself.

I played this with some random guy earlier. I was Steroids and they were Crystal. There was just enough input lag to throw me off and we sloppily made our way to 5-2 before getting clobbered. Even with the lag, though, it was fun!

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Nice! I pretty effortlessly got to L1 1-3 with another guy but we got murdered when I went crown of blood. Also lots of hitching. I feel like ammo should be shared, or at least overflow ammo.

A little note: you can just duplicate the Nuclear Throne folder and contents and install the mod there. There's no DRM in the actual files.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
New weekly is Melting, Crown of Blood, Super Bazooka. Don't face-tank an explosion!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Aight, I got my little brother Nuclear Throne and we used the co-op mod linked above, and it was loving amazing. Playing with randoms is whatever, but playing with a friend on voice chat is so goddamn great.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Didn't see any mention of rami & co.'s new free game, breach and clean, well here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XepncWIOdK8

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure what's going on with the weekly. Yesterday it was Rogue / Crown of Curses / Energy Screwdriver, but now it's Y.V. / Crown of Death / Ultra Grenade Launcher. Which is a lot more fun honestly, and on OSX I was able to get an auto crossbow with a pretty great set of mutations (including bolt marrow and boiling veins).

Taking down Ball Mom with two triple-shot ultra grenades is so goddamn satisfying.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm not sure what's going on with the weekly. Yesterday it was Rogue / Crown of Curses / Energy Screwdriver, but now it's Y.V. / Crown of Death / Ultra Grenade Launcher.

The Rogue one was the last weekly. The problem is that weeklies have to be updated manually and this week the admin forgot to update it beforehand and had to be contacted to re-do it and reset the scores in a hurry.

Ultra Grenade Launcher is good stuff, an actually viable post-loop explosive weapon. I've heard Auto Grenade Shotgun is supposed to be good too, but I haven't figured out how to make it work yet.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

For a good time with your siblings, play Nuclear Throne Together as two Steroids each with two guitars, and crown of blood. Holy poo poo, what a bloodbath. :allears:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
This Weekly is more set then most. Rebel, Smart Gun, Crown of Destiny.

Your mutations are Scarier Face, Shotgun Shoulders, Stress, Impact Wrists, Open Mind, Gamma Guts, Last Wish, Eagle Eyes, Hammerhead, Personal Guard Ultra, and Strong Spirit from Jungle.

Not the worst once you get Strong Spirit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Meanwhile, if you're on OSX and go to the cheese caves, you can get Last Wish just in time for 5-1, go to the Jungle...and get Last Wish again! :shepface:

(And the Jungle is a truly awful spawn, too, a tiny pocket with a 1-gap wide exit into a wide open space that's full of jungle bandits, assassins, and flies)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Nuclear Throne is in this week's Humble Bundle at HumbleBundle.com if anyone had friends who were on the fence about it. The bundle also has Super Time Force Ultra... a great bundle.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Shine posted:

For a good time with your siblings, play Nuclear Throne Together as two Steroids each with two guitars, and crown of blood. Holy poo poo, what a bloodbath. :allears:

Is there a way to force the game to just start with two guitars becuase that sounds pretty fun.

Also, is local coop working well? it was kind of a mess last time i tried it.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Nevvy Z posted:

Is there a way to force the game to just start with two guitars becuase that sounds pretty fun.

Played Nuclear Throne Together with a friend with two steroids + double guitar + crown of blood + hardmode. poo poo was so intense I started hyperventilating and my arms and legs went numb. I had to stop playing for a while to recover. FYI I'm a non smoker, there aren't any congenital heart issues in my family, and I indulge in all kinds of seizure-inducing indie games. I think I should see a doctor.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

There are in-game cheats to pick weapons, crowns, etc. Check the readme.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Came back to this game after a long break.

Still loving owns. How can a game that frustrates me beyond human endurance be so goddamn fun and addicting?

120 hours in and I still haven't made it to loop 2 yet, but I'm getting a little closer now.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Literally the next day after complaining about the struggle :dance:

Also unlocked Crown of Death and the Golden AR for Crystal with that run.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

:dance: :woop:

I feel like you need a good confluence of perks for Steroids to really hack it once you loop, but in this case I did and I just tore poo poo up until I got owned by a buff gator.

Every time I don't get Throne Butt I basically immediately run out of ammo.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Future Days posted:

Played Nuclear Throne Together with a friend with two steroids + double guitar + crown of blood + hardmode. poo poo was so intense I started hyperventilating and my arms and legs went numb. I had to stop playing for a while to recover. FYI I'm a non smoker, there aren't any congenital heart issues in my family, and I indulge in all kinds of seizure-inducing indie games. I think I should see a doctor.

Yeah, I use Nuclear Throne together with my son and it's pretty good. I spend most of it trying to protect him with Steroids by using all my ammo (and taking a melee weapon or two). It's pretty good. :ocelot:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

Came back to this game after a long break.

Still loving owns. How can a game that frustrates me beyond human endurance be so goddamn fun and addicting?

120 hours in and I still haven't made it to loop 2 yet, but I'm getting a little closer now.

Same except I just rolled over 800

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
First time I play in a month and I get to my first loop with fish, ever with that character.

I also misread his ultra mutation, I rushed reading it and thought that it gave you infinite ammo AFTER 7 seconds and clicked on it immediately. I at least found double minis, so I could go a little nuts at the start of each stage for a bit.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gun warrant is still extremely good with trigger fingers + spc/super crossbow

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Gun Warrant is a ton of fun with the right loadouts. Confiscate is the more generally-useful one though. Making enemies drop ammo that never despawns is surprisingly useful, and you can also get medkits occasionally.

My favorite "lol" build is Horror / Anomaly / SPC, though. If you don't take Crown of Blood (because you're going for distance cheevos), then you can often kill the entire level in one or two shots.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

https://youtu.be/PGcKF7NHXX8

Frog Ballguy and my little brother are the best.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Today I learned that the exploding critters in Labs can kill you through Strong Spirit: if you run into them, they deal contact damage, which can burn the halo, and then they will explode on you and kill you.

It had happened to me before but I just figured out how it happens. :discourse:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Hate those dudes, a lot. Very satisfying to blow up a bunch of them at once tho.

This game remains loving awesome to play. I might make a post about available mods soon, some are quite good!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Finally got YV to loop 2, and ended up being my best run with ~1900 kills too (drat you Ballmom). Yung Venuz is the best. Ultra Grenade Launcher is pretty goddamn good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Samopsa posted:

Hate those dudes, a lot. Very satisfying to blow up a bunch of them at once tho.

This game remains loving awesome to play. I might make a post about available mods soon, some are quite good!

I actually didn't even know mods were a thing for this game until this post, so I went and looked into it and tried out NT Ultra, which seems to be kinda "the" major mod for NT.

And uh, meh. The only thing I really liked from it was the inverted level gimmick, but I feel like most of the added content just sort of bloated the game a little too much and most of the new characters didn't really stand out (except for Cuz, who owns). The major roadblock for me were the two new primary zones, Volcano and Wonderland, where the enemies have a lot of HP for some reason, and the new bosses are mostly really bad. It's still a well done project but I think it just makes the gameplay a little too chaotic.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
nuclear throne together is a really good mod, because it's literally just online multiplayer

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

nuclear throne together is a really good mod, because it's literally just online multiplayer

Yup, it's amazing. A little sketchy at times, but my brother and I have had a blast with it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
A little more time with NT Ultra: I found a weapon called "Bullet Disperser Disperser Gun" which, when fired with YV + Back to Bizniz, filled the entire level with bullets and killed everything in it basically. Like a Super Plasma Cannon basically but it only cost 15 bullets to fire. A little OP! I pretty much thoughtlessly made it to loop 2 and got one-shotted by a van because I never got Strong Spirit :( Also this mod doesn't have the Palace (or the Throne), but there's a couple bosses that are basically like Throne 1 and both of them are bad.

It's a goofy mod that's really chaotic and badly balanced, but pretty fun, although I think NT's strength is how tightly balanced it is.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Melting is tired.

(I cannot believe how much I was sweating during the Throne fight.)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Nuclear Throne Together is the best when you do something boneheaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4MhPo1ez-w

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I always thought Eyes was a really boring character so I never played him much, but I just got to loop 2 pretty much on the power of his Throne Butt alone. Turns out that you can hold right click and pretty much never get hit at any point in the Palace, including against the Throne itself. You can also just walk up to Ballmom and do whatever you want because her toxic gas will not hit you. Then I ran out of crossbow ammo and died in 1-1 :(

Now I need that moment for Chicken because I think she's super boring too. :geno:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

RyokoTK posted:

I always thought Eyes was a really boring character so I never played him much, but I just got to loop 2 pretty much on the power of his Throne Butt alone. Turns out that you can hold right click and pretty much never get hit at any point in the Palace, including against the Throne itself. You can also just walk up to Ballmom and do whatever you want because her toxic gas will not hit you. Then I ran out of crossbow ammo and died in 1-1 :(

Now I need that moment for Chicken because I think she's super boring too. :geno:

I've put like 30 hours into the game, I beat it once and then looped once more and both involved Eyes with throne butt and euphoria together. If you get long arms you can just always keep a wall between you and the enemy, use telekinesis to keep them stuck against it and whack them through the wall.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Eyes is very good, especially with gamma guts for the stray melee enemy that gets through.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Got gifted someone's extra copy of this ages ago when it came out. Only really giving it a proper go now and it's great.

Does anyone else play with a gamepad? I figure I'm not doing as well as I could, but on the other hand it's fun and I feel like I'm progressing anyway, so I might as well keep going this way.

I've only killed Lil' Hunter two or three times and I've only not died immediately after once. I think 7-1 is the furthest I've been. Now I'm concentrating on unlocking a golden weapon for everyone.

If you open a screwdriver and a grenade launcher in 1-X do you just try to bring those going forward to get to both 2-? and 3-? ? Because that seems like a way to die.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

grenade launcher yes. weapon drops are tied to how many levels you've visited, and the sewers add to that count. 2-1 > sewers > 3-1

screwdriver no, the mansion replaces 4-2 so your level count stays the same. 4-1 > mansion > 4-3. also i already have a golden wrench for everyone which i think is the best starting weapon really

vaults also add to your level count by the way so hit every vault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Get a golden grenade launcher and you'll get plenty of practice at not blowing yourself up. Screwdriver/grenade launcher is a fine combination for the first three levels.

Always go to 2-? if you can, IMO. It's low-risk, gets you some easy chests, and advances the chest drop level by 1 so good guns can show up 1 level earlier. 3-? is a lot dicier though; it's a dangerous level, and the golden weapons are all variants on the starter weapons, which are mostly starting to lose steam by this point in the game. If you're not specifically trying to unlock a golden gun for a character, I'd rather go to 3-2 and hope for a good weapon. Autocrossbows are a possibility at this point, for example.

• Locked thread