Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
He's 12 years old. We haven't played very many TGs together but play videogames often. Right now his strategy in almost any game is brute force, in our Netrunner game for example he would draw through his entire deck looking for the card that could deal with the one threat he's scouted, and he does the same thing against video game bosses and what have you, making suicide runs until he gets lucky.

It's not that I care if he's "good at games" but he's expressed an interest in getting better at tactical thinking and he wants to play these things with me and his friends.

I guess I just want something that would encourage him to think about the long game a little more if that makes sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Geektox posted:

He's 12 years old. We haven't played very many TGs together but play videogames often. Right now his strategy in almost any game is brute force, in our Netrunner game for example he would draw through his entire deck looking for the card that could deal with the one threat he's scouted, and he does the same thing against video game bosses and what have you, making suicide runs until he gets lucky.

It's not that I care if he's "good at games" but he's expressed an interest in getting better at tactical thinking and he wants to play these things with me and his friends.

I guess I just want something that would encourage him to think about the long game a little more if that makes sense?

I'd label that more as strategy than tactics. I'm biased because I really enjoy worker placement games, but I think a simple worker placement game would help.

Another thing that might work is a drafting game like 7 Wonders.

The idea is to force him to choose from a list of limited options with the restriction that he cannot choose the option he wants every time. It'll also help that you can explain the long game in something like Viticulture, where after a few turns you look at the game state and show him how all of the little incremental advantages that you got over the course of the game have added up.

Edit: I still really like Argent as a suggestion depending on his temperment. It's sandboxy in that you can choose what you want to go for, and has a lot of long term strategy vs short term payoff where you can really show him the power of building up a combo and unleashing it rather than flailing at an objective until you succeed.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 17, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

EBag posted:

Delete all the 401.ca cookies, I had that happen before and after clearing their cookies it worked fine again.

Worked, thanks. I let them know that as well, so they can fix it or at least advise anybody else who complains.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Lorini posted:

So my African Grey parrot Merlin got in range of a shelf of six boardgames and this is the result:

He did not touch any of the four others, guess he likes Alban's artwork.

Wow, you're lucky he didn't poo poo all over them too. Or try to eat a baggie, I don't want to think about what would happen if he had... Still that's life with parrots for you!

Geektox posted:

Chess or go or Carcassonne are maybe a bit dry, thematically, but have you tried them? Also, my copy of Galaxy Trucker is looking at me and that sounds like what you're after, and has a fun theme.

DadJokeGenerator
Feb 15, 2015

Geektox posted:

Warhammer Quest ACG, Descent 2E with the downloadable ap, or Wrath of Ashardalon. All pretty good, wish I had them as a 12 year old instead of Heroquest

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

DadJokeGenerator posted:

Warhammer Quest ACG, Descent 2E with the downloadable ap, or Wrath of Ashardalon. All pretty good, wish I had them as a 12 year old instead of Heroquest

Seconded.

It seems like he is not really the type / at the point in his life where he is able to draft strategic plans and think critically. I'm not so sure playing more strategic games would help, so a coop game where you can quarterback him if needed might be a good way to lead him into thinking about stuff?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Geektox posted:

Teach him Chess.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 17, 2016

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

If he's after something a little less dry than chess... Perhaps something like Hive?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
A couple more tales from the land of Tabletop Simulator with Randoms. Note: I still get some good games on there so it's not bad, but sometimes you decide you have the time to play with people you don't know and see what happens. The issues I faced may be the people, or the game, or a mixture of both.

A Fake Artist Comes To New York
I will assume you know the rules, but if not, think Spyfall but instead of answering questions, you draw a line at a time, but one person doesn't know what you're collectively drawing.

I watched a couple of rounds and the group seemed good, the pictures were great, but I did think there was a bit too much chat about the clues as they were being drawn. I don't want to say it has to be held in silence, but something felt a bit off as people were verbally critiquing clues as they were being drawn. It was hard for the faker to join in with that but it is possible. Second game in, I'm the first to draw, I'm the fake and the category is gaming. Well, time to be vague. In the two laps of the table, while the clues were being drawn, people had already spoken aloud that the word was a game and that there were guns in it. I was joint most suspicious, but the people who spoke about the clue were not voted, even though people said their clues were rubbish. At the end of the round I suggested to the group that people don't talk about the clue.
"As the fake, it's hard anyway, but if you actually say that you've never played this game, then even if you drew nothing noone is going to vote for you because you know its a game"
"The category is gaming"
"Yeah, but it could have been a console, a character or series. By saying it's a game people know you know the clue, they even said they wouldn't vote you because of it"
"Well you could bluff it, say it was a game"
"But the fake can't bluff it, because it could have been one of a number of things, but if I say the wrong one I obviously don't know it, it's a massive risk"
"No you can totally bluff it, you're just not trying"
"I'm bluffing with the drawing, because we're allowed to be vague there. Why even have the drawing if we can verbally talk about the clue"

My view was in the minority, the idea of silence was tried a couple of rounds but people found it boring (I didn't say complete silence, just don't talk about the clue). They seemed to be having fun with this bizarre version so I left them to it, but I don't think I was in the wrong here.

Secret Hitler

We had a player ragequit on the third turn in because that President went against the OPTIMAL PLAY of ensuring the first four turns everyone was Pres or Chanc once for info. I agreed it's probably best but if he wants to deviate from that, it's a game, let him and the table can Ja or Nein it. He quit when the vote wouldn't be moved, declaring the Pres had to be a Facist because it was so Anti-Liberal. Pres was in fact a Liberal, just playing with some gut and guesswork and variety, at a non-crucial part of the game. Guess which one of those players I marked as not wanting to play with in future.

Spyfall

I think this falls into the category of whether you play social deduction games in the spirit of the game or to min-max your win while stripping the fun away. It reminded me of the Fake Artist issue when I read on Reddit that sometimes this gets played by asking for details on the card, which the Spy obviously won't have so can't answer. This wasn't as 'cheating' as that, but just as fun sapping.

When I started playing the questions seemed somewhat standard, how did they get here, what time, uniform or not, that kind of thing. Some players switched and a new breed of question emerged, where the emphasis shifted to the questioner asking a question that confirmed they knew the place, with less focus on the answer. So, for Supermarket we had these Qs
"Who is your favourite, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman or the Flash?"
"Are there a lot of Walls where you are?"
"Would you say that the squeaky wheel gets the grease?"

Am I alone in thinking this makes the game pretty boring? "Do you spot the link I'm making to the location, I surely know where this place is" and again, the spy can't really bluff in this way very well. I mean they could because any one of these might be too obscure, but seemed to drain the point of the game.

The lesson, save the social games for people you know or icebreakers with normal seeming people. its not just a TTS thing, not even this forum is safe. I remember from a forum game of Codenames, even when we established the majority of our team were European, our Spymaster went for Mexican to cover both Criminal and Cleaner. Nice.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fat Turkey posted:

painful social game stuff

re: Fake Artist

Those guys sound dumb and are completely giving the answer away to the fake artist. Discussion should be on the quality of each other's drawings, not the actual objective.

As for Spyfall, that line of questioning is fine. The whole point of the game is revealing yourself to those in the know. But there's a caveat to the game in that it breaks down if everyone knows the locations except for one person and they happen to be the spy. Among familiar faces I can get weird with my questions (although the superhero question would've tipped me off because they still sell comics in grocery stores) but with new players we don't use the details of the card art and try to stick to the roles they provide as a suggestion.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Fat Turkey posted:

A couple more tales from the land of Tabletop Simulator with Randoms. Note: I still get some good games on there so it's not bad, but sometimes you decide you have the time to play with people you don't know and see what happens. The issues I faced may be the people, or the game, or a mixture of both.

I cannot imagine playing a social deduction/bluffing game not in person, facial expressions and vocal tones are such a huge part of those games. That sounds just as miserable as I'd expect tbh

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Fake Artist : You say it makes it easy for the fake, but not necessarily. I mean, there were 7 of us, one is the clue giver, one drew something bad and said 'I dunno, I've never played this game' and then another gave away that guns are involved, you can't still work out what the clue is, but two players are clearly not fake without even drawing anything. The pictures gave nothing away, well, maybe if you have played the game they might. I mean you can't work out what game it was from their description (try!). I think it breaks it for the fake, not the other players.

I'm not sure which set of clues you're saying is legit in Spyfall, the describe your card clue or the generic statement clue. But I don't get you bit about it only breaks it if all but one player know the location and the one who doesn't is the spy.

quote:

The whole point of the game is revealing yourself to those in the know. But there's a caveat to the game in that it breaks down if everyone knows the locations except for one person and they happen to be the spy.

That's literally what Spyfall is, so it always happens. But you know that so I think I've misunderstood. Do you mean pre-established clues? If he mentions a wheel then it's the supermarket?

I don't think describing the card makes for a fun game at all. Otherwise it's just Where's Wally.

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 17, 2016

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

deadwing posted:

I cannot imagine playing a social deduction/bluffing game not in person, facial expressions and vocal tones are such a huge part of those games. That sounds just as miserable as I'd expect tbh

I've had good games of Spyfall with friends online, although that was with the picture less web client. Codenames too. Secret Hitler plays fine in general on there. You still get vocal ticks, and the silences and stammers says a lot. Not the same, I agree, but still very playable, in my experience. I think as with many things, it's the players that make it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A lot of Werewolf is played on forums, which just goes to show, people are crazy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fat Turkey posted:

Fake Artist : You say it makes it easy for the fake, but not necessarily. I mean, there were 7 of us, one is the clue giver, one drew something bad and said 'I dunno, I've never played this game' and then another gave away that guns are involved, you can't still work out what the clue is, but two players are clearly not fake without even drawing anything. The pictures gave nothing away, well, maybe if you have played the game they might. I mean you can't work out what game it was from their description (try!). I think it breaks it for the fake, not the other players.

I'm not sure which set of clues you're saying is legit in Spyfall, the describe your card clue or the generic statement clue. But I don't get you bit about it only breaks it if all but one player know the location and the one who doesn't is the spy.

That's literally what Spyfall is, so it always happens. But you know that so I think I've misunderstood. Do you mean pre-established clues? If he mentions a wheel then it's the supermarket?

I don't think describing the card makes for a fun game at all. Otherwise it's just Where's Wally.

I don't understand your scenario here. Fake Artist is about judging each individual person's line and how it contributes to the category. If after a single pass people start vocally hinting that the category is "GAMING" then the fake artist knows how they can contribute. If the category was a specific game like "Call of Duty" that'd be a different story (it's a game with guns in it), doing something off topic like drawing Mario would give you away, but "gaming" is vague and could be anything game related.

In Spyfall if you know the card art then you can use specific images on the card as clues. This is unfair to players who are unfamiliar with the card art because the spy has to look at the manual which would instantly give them away.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Geektox posted:

...he's expressed an interest in getting better at tactical thinking...

...encourage him to think about the long game a little more if that makes sense?

Well, there's something wrong.

As a general rule, tactics refers to on the spot low level decisions, while strategy refers to long term planning.

For example, in Twilight Imperium. Deciding which objectives to pursue and where to expand is strategy. Deciding who to attack to clear an objective or weighing the merits of retreating or using an action card in combat is tactics.

This is a really important distinction as some games skew towards one or the other more. Netrunner, as with most games with any sort of pregame planning or setup, focuses on strategy. Sure, the click by click decisions can be really important, but you're generally hewing to a plan you prepared in building your deck. It's hard to deviate from that plan, too. If you build a Kate set up all the Shaper Breakers and a billion credits get into anything ever deck, you're likely to have problems with a Fast Advance deck as you just don't have time, and it's hard to switch gears and make your deck do what it isn't supposed to.

Contrasting, BattleCON has a heavy tactical emphasis. You can make plans, but the game's only fifteen turns, and most decisions are about which of your fifteen options on a turn are best, with a side of what will be useful on the next turn or two.

So, what to suggest, not knowing your collection? Dominion, or really any deckbuilder, but really Dominion. You can't brute force Dominion. Decisions matter long term, and at the end of the game it's really easy to compare decks and see how you ended up where you did relative to your opponent. It works really well for two player, so you never need to find someone else. You can play with mostly open hands if you want, encouraging and stimulating discussions of plays and plans. Finally, and most importantly: it's fast. You don't need two hours to get feedback on if your decisions resulted in a winning game. That, more than anything, will encourage thinking and reduce frustration.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Spyfall, I agree. I feel the card is there for flavour and fun, maybe to give an idea. If you end up with Qs like 'What colour top is the right hand most person wearing", where it's about the card and not the concept of the place, I feel the game has lost its way.

Fake Artist, I've never read the official rules although I know the obvious ones. Words were decided by deciding player publicly announcing the category, but secretly telling all but the fake the actual word (this is all done automatically, fake is chosen at random). What you're supposed to be drawing is a clue that you know the actual word. The category is just there to give the fake a fighting chance, a common aid. So as a fake I knew the category was gaming, everyone did. But that doesn't mean I can verbally bluff that I know it's a game, because it could be other things gaming related that aren't a game. And I can't bluff the guns because it might not have been a game with guns. Only people who know the word would ever attempt it, or risk being routed straight away.

It's not that it becomes impossible, like I said in this game the 6 players threw suspicion to 4 of the players in a 2-2-1-1 formation (although one is mine), but the two who didn't get any votes didn't get them because they said things about the word that you'd have to know the word to say. Just because the category was gaming, I can't bluff 'I dont know much about this game', because what if it was a console or a character. So by giving verbal clues, these people who basically drew nothing didn't get any votes, people openly said well it can't be them. I was just pointing out how silly that is. And yet apparently some people think it's ok to play the game as a verbal exercise (this is directed at the people playing, who didn't think it was an issue)

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 17, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Has anyone here ever played Reef Encounter? I've had it sitting around for the past 6-7 years. I tried playing it once, but we messed up the rules, which were complexish. I was considering trading it, but then noticed it's actually worth quite a bit, because it's out of print, likely forever.

Anyone have opinions on whether it's worth keeping in my collection or should I try to get a nice trade for it?

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Geektox posted:

You might want to look into the Command and Colors series-they're relatively low complexity wargames with a limited decision scope due to a card-based movement system. Memoir 44 is probably the simplest (base game, at least), but there is a fantasy version of the system (Battlelore). I haven't played the second edition of Battlelore yet so I can't vouch for it myself, but there's an iOS version that you could try out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fat Turkey posted:

Spyfall, I agree. I feel the card is there for flavour and fun, maybe to give an idea. If you end up with Qs like 'What colour top is the right hand most person wearing", where it's about the card and not the concept of the place, I feel the game has lost its way.

Fake Artist, I've never read the official rules although I know the obvious ones. Words were decided by deciding player publicly announcing the category, but secretly telling all but the fake the actual word (this is all done automatically, fake is chosen at random). What you're supposed to be drawing is a clue that you know the actual word. The category is just there to give the fake a fighting chance, a common aid. So as a fake I knew the category was gaming, everyone did. But that doesn't mean I can verbally bluff that I know it's a game, because it could be other things gaming related that aren't a game. And I can't bluff the guns because it might not have been a game with guns. Only people who know the word would ever attempt it, or risk being routed straight away.

It's not that it becomes impossible, like I said in this game the 6 players threw suspicion to 4 of the players in a 2-2-1-1 formation (although one is mine), but the two who didn't get any votes didn't get them because they said things about the word that you'd have to know the word to say. Just because the category was gaming, I can't bluff 'I dont know much about this game', because what if it was a console or a character. So by giving verbal clues, these people who basically drew nothing didn't get any votes, people openly said well it can't be them. I was just pointing out how silly that is. And yet apparently some people think it's ok to play the game as a verbal exercise (this is directed at the people playing, who didn't think it was an issue)

Okay, now that I understand your situation better I have to say that the game is a verbal exercise and communication should be allowed. The question master is on the fake artist's side, he wins when you win. From his perspective the title should be difficult enough for the real artists to cast suspicion on each other while the category narrows down what the fake artist is meant to do. The question master decides who draws first which is also part of the game, he shouldn't give the fake artist the first draw but if it's obvious the fake artist is the last to draw they know who it is. By default the game favors the fake artist, the real artists have to be clever in their lines and dialog.

I'll have to look over the Japanese rules later, there may be some stuff lost in translation, but I encourage talking provided it's not directly about the title. In your case the category was "gaming" and someone said "it's a game with guns" or "I don't know this game." That shouldn't be allowed because it tips the fake artist into knowing it's software, not hardware. If someone said "the title has guns" that's okay. The title could be a video game lightgun, maybe it's Call of Duty, it could even be skeet shooting.

e: The English translation even says for the fake artist "talk the talk." It may be a figure of speech but I'm sure conversation is meant to drive the real artists to figuring you out because the person driving the game is working with the person trying not to get caught.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 17, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Geektox posted:

X-Wing Miniatures is an incredible game, and it is themed around the raddest part of Star Wars (WWII fighter jocks in space).

The game is really easy to learn and get into, but there's a ton of depth to it as well.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mr. Squishy posted:

A lot of Werewolf is played on forums, which just goes to show, people are crazy.

That works since player elimination means you can just leave the thread rather than stand around awkwardly for 30 minutes or so waiting for the game to end, there's more time and less pressure to figure things out, and Werewolf's already a terrible game.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Megasabin posted:

Has anyone here ever played Reef Encounter? I've had it sitting around for the past 6-7 years. I tried playing it once, but we messed up the rules, which were complexish. I was considering trading it, but then noticed it's actually worth quite a bit, because it's out of print, likely forever.

Anyone have opinions on whether it's worth keeping in my collection or should I try to get a nice trade for it?

I have played it once with a friend and it was a really interesting experience. The rules seem a bit complex at first and the hardest part for my buddy to grasp were the rules for dominating the coral tiles and how to use it to your advantage. But after a few turns he got it and the game played a bit smoother.

I would really love to get the game on the table again with more players but the theme seems to drive people away (same problem i have with inhabit the earth by the same designer).

I wouldn't sell until you are really sure you never get to play it more cause it seems like a promising and rewarding game if you get good at it.

For the rules i recommend the video by Scott Nicholson. It helped me quite a lot

Edit: Video link below

https://youtu.be/EVrGXTjugcM

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 17, 2016

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Megasabin posted:

You have to play it a lot to be worthwhile keeping. Otherwise it's a slog every time you bring it out, which is why I sold my copy....we don't play anything except 18xx on a continual basis.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Oh hey I wrote a thing about a category of games I like.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Have you played Maria? Right now I consider it the perfect asymmetrical game, if not my favorite war game.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Thank you, that's interesting info about Fake Artist rules, I stand corrected. It seems our group went a little far with what they said, but it seems table talk is allowed. I gathered it to be about the drawing, as I can't see the default favourite being the Faker. But you have the proper rules so fair play!

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Fat Turkey posted:

Thank you, that's interesting info about Fake Artist rules, I stand corrected. It seems our group went a little far with what they said, but it seems table talk is allowed. I gathered it to be about the drawing, as I can't see the default favourite being the Faker. But you have the proper rules so fair play!

But, on the other hand, Fake Artist is a lot of fun if you really ignore the rule book and winning... and it can really degenerate if "played to win".

Like, the best rounds we've had are people are (secretly) given two different words that kind of work together (eg. chimney/jeans, lawnmower/dog leash, boat/shoe). Obviously you can't do that every round, but it makes for an entertaining train wreck and fun pictures.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

al-azad posted:

Have you played Maria? Right now I consider it the perfect asymmetrical game, if not my favorite war game.
Yep, several times, but it falls into my "wargame" catch all at the moment, since all of the sides use the same rules more or less. I do love Maria though, it's a good game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I played my first game of FCM last night. I have a lot of feelings, mostly positive.

For all the talk of how brutal the game is, and it certainly felt that way while we were playing, it ended up fairly close at scores of 200, 320, and 360. Two of us both adopted middle-road strategies while the other rushed waitresses. I just managed to claw ahead of the waitress swarm by placing a shitload of houses over the course of the game and then getting ahead at the end by dropping an airplane campaign for a resource I more or less monopolized.

Most of the game was us trying to market each other out of sales to reasonable effectiveness. Eternal marketing is weird. It became as much a liability as an asset for two of us.

Pricing was rarely a factor. I picked up a Luxuries Manager early on thinking I could swing some big cash early, only to never ever be able to throw her on the board. I think it the Pricing milestone did end up getting me two or three sales over the course of the game, so maybe I'm underestimating it. It's probably different when more people buy into Pricing.

I came into this game thinking there was a lot of breadth of play, but honestly I'm not sure how much I would change my strategy going forward. I just constantly trained/coached up Management, managed to snag a Pizza Chef, dropped a looooot of houses, and invested in marketing late game. I can't imagine what a 5 player game would look like. The amount of irrational stress got pretty funny as the game went on, especially in the context of the gonzo nonsense world where waitresses sit around an empty restaurant making bank.

That said, I'm fairly disappointed with most things that aren't the game itself. The lack of an insert is mind-boggling to me. The card setup seems like a terrible design choice as it eats up an enormous amount of table space and ends up looking awful as the game goes on. Why not use tiles, like it shows in the play reference? The rulebook is fine, but in the year of our lord 2016 I think you should put some graphics that display how things are actually set up. The money looks like garbage, doesn't handle well, had printing errors, and why in the world is there not a $20 bill? The recommended starter rules are such a poor suggestion they almost put my partner and I off the game entirely.

I will say that we got a first-time three player game done in under two and a half hours, which is awesome. Even when some of us spent five minutes trying to organize our pyramid, everyone was engaged. I'm sure I lack the experience to critique the game properly, but I thought a first-time player's experience might be interesting.

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

They say an elephant never forgets the first time they got company dumped.

Megasabin posted:

One of the hardest games for me to get to the table with our group (I'm the only one who loves it), but man, I do love me some Reef Encounter. I definitely recommend reading up/watching a video on it before learning and see if that helps the learning curve. That said, imo, it's definitely worth keeping, but not everyone would agree.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Yep, several times, but it falls into my "wargame" catch all at the moment, since all of the sides use the same rules more or less. I do love Maria though, it's a good game.

Well I share all your opinions about asymmetry and now I'm totally fascinated with games that encourage strange interactions between players. It's totally ruined me, the design behind COIN games as well. I can't even think about games as a design without some form of asymmetry.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Finally another entry. :v:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

I played my first game of FCM last night. I have a lot of feelings, mostly positive.

For all the talk of how brutal the game is, and it certainly felt that way while we were playing, it ended up fairly close at scores of 200, 320, and 360. Two of us both adopted middle-road strategies while the other rushed waitresses. I just managed to claw ahead of the waitress swarm by placing a shitload of houses over the course of the game and then getting ahead at the end by dropping an airplane campaign for a resource I more or less monopolized.

Most of the game was us trying to market each other out of sales to reasonable effectiveness. Eternal marketing is weird. It became as much a liability as an asset for two of us.

Pricing was rarely a factor. I picked up a Luxuries Manager early on thinking I could swing some big cash early, only to never ever be able to throw her on the board. I think it the Pricing milestone did end up getting me two or three sales over the course of the game, so maybe I'm underestimating it. It's probably different when more people buy into Pricing.

I came into this game thinking there was a lot of breadth of play, but honestly I'm not sure how much I would change my strategy going forward. I just constantly trained/coached up Management, managed to snag a Pizza Chef, dropped a looooot of houses, and invested in marketing late game. I can't imagine what a 5 player game would look like. The amount of irrational stress got pretty funny as the game went on, especially in the context of the gonzo nonsense world where waitresses sit around an empty restaurant making bank.

That said, I'm fairly disappointed with most things that aren't the game itself. The lack of an insert is mind-boggling to me. The card setup seems like a terrible design choice as it eats up an enormous amount of table space and ends up looking awful as the game goes on. Why not use tiles, like it shows in the play reference? The rulebook is fine, but in the year of our lord 2016 I think you should put some graphics that display how things are actually set up. The money looks like garbage, doesn't handle well, had printing errors, and why in the world is there not a $20 bill? The recommended starter rules are such a poor suggestion they almost put my partner and I off the game entirely.

I will say that we got a first-time three player game done in under two and a half hours, which is awesome. Even when some of us spent five minutes trying to organize our pyramid, everyone was engaged. I'm sure I lack the experience to critique the game properly, but I thought a first-time player's experience might be interesting.

The gameplay definitely evolves over time. As you noted, marketing can be a double edged sword. If you go heavy on marketing and I get a little pricing, the ability to place new restaurants, and food prep instead (1-3 cards, with similar investment to good marketers), I can outcompete you anywhere and with anything that you market.

If you do the same thing every time and your opponents notice, they'll take advantage of it and demolish you. There's a lot of really fun brinksmanship that goes on and it's a tense, great game with the right people.

Edit: Lots of waitresses shouldn't be competitive unless the other players drag the game out. It's a decent game timer, but should always lose out to people actually selling food.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Dirk the Average posted:

The gameplay definitely evolves over time. As you noted, marketing can be a double edged sword. If you go heavy on marketing and I get a little pricing, the ability to place new restaurants, and food prep instead (1-3 cards, with similar investment to good marketers), I can outcompete you anywhere and with anything that you market.

If you do the same thing every time and your opponents notice, they'll take advantage of it and demolish you. There's a lot of really fun brinksmanship that goes on and it's a tense, great game with the right people.

Edit: Lots of waitresses shouldn't be competitive unless the other players drag the game out. It's a decent game timer, but should always lose out to people actually selling food.

It was probably us all fumbling to accomplish anything that made Waitresses feel strong. I am wondering though, if you get the Waitress milestone along with the first to $100, you're pulling in a reasonable amount of money consistently without much setup. Does it make sense to rush up to that point and then also try to pull a few food sales?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

canyoneer posted:

X-Wing Miniatures is an incredible game, and it is themed around the raddest part of Star Wars (WWII fighter jocks in space).

The game is really easy to learn and get into, but there's a ton of depth to it as well.

X-Wing flight path system is something I wish every other miniature table top emulated and I can't wait to see how FFGs new miniature rank and file miniature game plays since it's doing the same thing

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

It was probably us all fumbling to accomplish anything that made Waitresses feel strong. I am wondering though, if you get the Waitress milestone along with the first to $100, you're pulling in a reasonable amount of money consistently without much setup. Does it make sense to rush up to that point and then also try to pull a few food sales?

Yeah - I think that's normally where waitresses make the most sense : as an early way to keep income high enough to support tech'ing up. Or if you have reason to believe the tie-breaker will matter often.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FCM Waitresses are 1) a cushion against small salary adjustments early on, 2) tiebreakers, and in really edge cases 3) an ok source of money in an ultra-brutal price war. You should never ever plan on winning via a fleet of waitresses.

In my experience, the game is almost entirely about competing on either PRICE or VOLUME. Marketing schemes, restaurant and house placement, and even milestones seem as though they are critical, but they're not; you can win without them (but should be earning some milestones anyway as part of your successful strategy). Those things matter, but they're not critical. Once you get to that point, it's highly mathematical and psychological in a poker-y way: games without unforced errors seem to come down to one or two restructuring phases that end up deciding the game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

I tried to math that out once - there is an optimal path to the most waitresses, and it involves getting the Guru and 10-slot VP.

The problem is that going that hard for waitresses gives your food selling competitors more breathing room since they now have one fewer competitor and more copies of marketers and chefs available. By the time you can pivot to food, it'll be too late, and someone else will almost certainly hit $100 before you. That lack of competition will almost certainly cost you the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Once the game had been out for a while there was some rumblings from posters here that Food Chain Magnate might not have the depth it seems. I don't remember the exact reasoning, but I think the argument was that with experienced players the game becomes very regimented. One example is how I think there are only 2 opening moves worth doing.

I've only played once with someone else's copy, and had a total blast. I'd love to play again, although I would want to make sure the game really did have long term replayability before plunking down my own 100+ dollars for it.