Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
After looking at a series of photos showing two people sitting in chairs with pillows and wild arrows pointing at one of them accusingly, I have no choice but to vote against the one that keeps attracting arrows.

Where there's arrows, there's fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Lets not pretend Megyn Kelly is batting a thousand.

Hey black kids: Santa and Jesus are white. Get over it. - lovable media darling Megyn Kelley

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.
For whatever reason, Twitter users decided they'd dunk on this Stephen Crowder tweet from January:
https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/687260244364267522

http://www.dailydot.com/unclick/steven-crowder-ideal-male-body-meme/

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BattleHork posted:

For whatever reason, Twitter users decided they'd dunk on this Stephen Crowder tweet from January:

Lol I don't even think the majority of PRIDE worshipping Fedor defenders on Sherdog would even try to claim he had a good build

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Sean Spicer, Communication Director for the Republican National Committee posted:

There are doctors who help people who have done bad things, there are lawyers who defend bad people. I don't think it's unique to my profession.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jurgan posted:

What the heck is a campaign CEO?

"A Huge Winner"

Aesop Poprock posted:

Lol I don't even think the majority of PRIDE worshipping Fedor defenders on Sherdog would even try to claim he had a good build

Yeah, Matt. Tell us more about your ideas on the ideal human male body. You seem really fixated on it.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Next up, the ideal cock.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Next up, the ideal cock.

Mildly :nws: http://gfycat.com/LongIllustriousCurlew

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I hope someone asks Sean about Clinton's time as defense counsel and then brings that up in response to "buh buh she defended a rapist."

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, Matt. Tell us more about your ideas on the ideal human male body. You seem really fixated on it.

That's Crowder, not Walsh. Easy mix up, though. :v:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
:mrapig:: The Titanic sunk but we keep reimbursing Obamacare to keep it from sinking despite it being a disaster too.

Go gently caress yourself Gutfeld, you fuckers sabotaged ACA from the loving start.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 17, 2016

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Chimera-gui posted:

:mrapig:: The Titanic sunk but we keep reimbursing Obamacare to keep it from sinking despite it being a disaster too.

Go gently caress yourself Gutfeld, you fuckers sabotaged ACA from the loving start.

Atleast Kimberly Gilfoyle and Dana Perino are nice to look at when you just put the show on mute. Gutfeld has such a punchy smug face.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Chimera-gui posted:

Sorry if this has been posted already. I was wondering about this Aetna thing but there's a wrinkle to it that will surprise no one.

Aetna wants to merge with Humana. The DoJ hadn't approved the merger. The CEO of Aetna (the company which just recently said they would expand ACA coverage) sent a letter to the DoJ stating that if the DoJ doesn't approve the merger they would probably "have to" scale back ACA participation. (Nice law you got there, it'd be a shame if we had to sabotage it!)

I guess the DoJ sued to block the merger or didn't approve it, however this works, and now Aetna is pulling back participation from over 700 counties to something less than 300.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-aetna-obamacare-20160817-snap-story.html

quote:

Aetna’s announcement this week that it was pulling out of most of the states where it was serving the Obamacare individual exchanges was a head-scratcher; after all, just three months earlier, Chief Executive Mark Bertolini was calling its participation in the market “a good investment,” despite near-term losses.

Bertolini also had tried to tamp down speculation that its withdrawal was anything like a payback for the government’s move to block its $37-billion merger with Humana. That was “a separate conversation” from its evaluation of the exchange business, he said during an Aug. 2 conference call with Wall Street analysts.

Now evidence has emerged that Aetna was lying. The smoking gun is a July 5 letter from Bertolini to Ryan Kantor of the Justice Department, unearthed by Jonathan Cohn and Jeffrey Young of the Huffington Post via a Freedom of Information Act request. In the letter, sent before the DOJ formally announced it would sue to block the Humana deal, Bertolini explicitly ties the two issues together.

“Our analysis to date makes clear that if the deal were challenged and/or blocked we would need to take immediate actions to mitigate public exchange and ACA small group losses,” Bertolini wrote. “Specifically, if the DOJ sues to enjoin the transaction, we will immediately take action to reduce our 2017 exchange footprint. We currently plan, as part of our strategy following the acquisition, to expand from 15 states in 2016 to 20 states in 2017. However, if we are in the midst of litigation over the Humana transaction, given the risks described above, we will not be able to expand to the five additional states.”
Not such a veiled threat? Aetna's Mark Bertolini tells the DOJ what will happen if it blocks the Humana merger. After the DOJ sued to kill the deal, Aetna cut back even more.

All in all, Bertolini said, if the merger were blocked, “instead of expanding to 20 states next year, we would reduce our presence to no more than 10 states. … [W]e believe it is very likely that we would need to leave the public exchange business entirely and plan for additional business efficiencies should our deal ultimately be blocked.”

As it happens, Aetna is cutting its participation to only four states.

Aetna’s withdrawal was widely interpreted as the latest in a series of blows to the Affordable Care Act exchanges. UnitedHealth Group had started the trend among major insurers last year, when it announced plans to bail out as of 2017. United, though the nation’s biggest health insurer overall, was a minor participant in the exchanges, however. But Humana, Aetna’s would-be merger partner, also announced a large-scale withdrawal from the exchange business. Other major insurers, including Cigna and Anthem—whose own plan to merge also has drawn opposition from the DOJ—have said they are still losing money on the exchanges but haven’t announced plans to cut back.

The merger partners have said that their deals are necessary to position them for the post-Obamacare healthcare world by strengthening their internal finances. The DOJ, however, maintains that the deals would reduce competition, which is necessary to keep ACA plan prices down.

Aetna spokesman T.J. Crawford told us by email that there’s no inconsistency between the Bertolini’s letter and his disavowal of a specific connection, since the merger is aimed at improving Aetna’s financial strength, a key to its participation in the Affordable Care Act exchanges. That impact “should not come as a surprise given a loss of deal synergies coupled with a potential break-up fee would raise further questions about sustaining a position in a business where we have yet to break even,” he observed.

Crawford said the letter was a direct response to the DOJ’s request for information on how the costs of a failed merger would affect “Aetna’s participation on the public exchanges related to the Affordable Care Act” and any other changes in its business plan.

In any event, Crawford continued, Aetna’s decision to pull back from the ACA exchanges was based on fundamental economic analysis. After the letter was sent, he said, “we gained full visibility into our second quarter individual public exchange results, which – similar to other participants on the public exchanges – showed a significant deterioration. That deterioration, and not the DOJ challenge to our Humana transaction, is ultimately what drove us to announce the narrowing of our public exchange presence for the 2017 plan year.”

The problem with these arguments is that Aetna had previously treated its participation in the exchanges as a sound business decision, despite its failure to break even in the market’s early years. Bertolini laid out a detailed case for continuing to serve the exchanges as recently as April, when he boasted of serving 1.2 million customers on ACA health plans. That was the foundation of a good business line, he told Wall Street analysts.

“If we were to go out and buy those members, it would cost us somewhere around $1.2 billion to acquire them,” he said. “If we were to build out 15 markets, it would cost us somewhere between $600 million to $750 million to enter those markets and build out the capabilities necessary to grow that membership. So in the broad scheme of things, we are well, well below any of those numbers from the standpoint of losses we've incurred in the first two-and-a-half years of this program.” He said he hoped that the administration would become more flexible in mandating specifications for ACA plans, but in any event “we see this as a good investment.”

The company’s claim that only after April did it realize how bad things were beggars credibility. Aetna has been selling health insurance since 1899 and has been in the Obamacare market since the exchanges opened for business in 2014. From the inception it took the long view, as Bertolini explained in April. As we observed earlier, if the economics of the exchanges really caught it by surprise between April and August, it should fire its entire financial analysis team. The only thing that really changed in that time frame was the DOJ’s move against the merger.

Indeed, two of our most assiduous Obamacare-trackers, Richard Mayhew of Balloon-juice.com and Charles Gaba of ACASignups.net, put the lie to Aetna’s poor mouthing as it applies to one state it’s departing, Pennsylvania. In both 2014 and 2015, they show, Aetna turned a profit on its ACA exchange business in that state— $6.4 million on $60 million in premiums in 2014, net of claims and administrative expenses, and $13.6 million profit on $71.4 million in premiums in 2015. The figures come from Aetna’s rate filings with the state, in which the company also says it expects to record a profit of 3.9% there in 2017.

How does the profitability of its Pennsylvania business square with Aetna’s assertion that it can’t afford to continue serving customers in the state? It doesn’t.
Nor is there an obvious explanation for why, if it was picking and choosing which states to abandon, it would include one where it’s in the black. As Mayhew says, “Something stinks worse than a wrestling team’s locker room after two-a-days.”

We’ve mentioned before that the government isn’t entirely powerless to goad big insurers like Aetna into greater participation in the ACA exchanges. Among other things, the companies make money hand over fist by serving Medicaid expansions in many states and in Medicare managed-care plans. Why not tie their access to those lucrative markets to sticking with the exchanges until they’re finally stabilized?

Bertolini implicitly tied Aetna’s participation in Obamacare to a green light from the government on the Humana merger. But two can play that game.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 18, 2016

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was trying to go to Breitbart to find articles of them sucking their own dicks over the Bannon hiring but their lovely rear end site crashed my phone twice. I think it's their video player

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Next up, the ideal cock.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Atleast Kimberly Gilfoyle and Dana Perino are nice to look at when you just put the show on mute. Gutfeld has such a punchy smug face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCgOkVn_G9Q

Pays the big bucks to be an wing nut apparently. Gutfield likely doesn't give two shits, but he knows who butters his bread.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sorry if this has been posted already. I was wondering about this Aetna thing but there's a wrinkle to it that will surprise no one.

Aetna wants to merge with Humana. The DoJ hadn't approved the merger. The CEO of Aetna (the company which just recently said they would expand ACA coverage) sent a letter to the DoJ stating that if the DoJ doesn't approve the merger they would probably "have to" scale back ACA participation. (Nice law you got there, it'd be a shame if we had to sabotage it!)

I guess the DoJ sued to block the merger or didn't approve it, however this works, and now Aetna is pulling back participation from over 700 counties to something less than 300.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-aetna-obamacare-20160817-snap-story.html

From that

quote:

We’ve mentioned before that the government isn’t entirely powerless to goad big insurers like Aetna into greater participation in the ACA exchanges. Among other things, the companies make money hand over fist by serving Medicaid expansions in many states and in Medicare managed-care plans. Why not tie their access to those lucrative markets to sticking with the exchanges until they’re finally stabilized?

Bertolini implicitly tied Aetna’s participation in Obamacare to a green light from the government on the Humana merger. But two can play that game.

This would be a pretty beautiful tit for tat :getin:

Someone tell me why it's a bad idea? I assume it is.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So if I'm understanding this ACA/Aetna thing and insurance companies pulling out of it, it's just a reaffirmation that the law was watered down poo poo to begin with and, while it was basically nothing more than a giant handout to insurance companies in the first place, it wasn't a BIG enough hand out to offset the money they'd make by continuing to be greedy fuckers and seeking loopholes in the law to increase profits while people get sick and die.

Is that about right? Or is it "gently caress government controlled socialized medicine and here's why it doesn't work"?

Even most liberals I know never really liked the law as written to begin with anyway and found it weak, but is this a case of the free market fighting back, a reaction to too much regulation, a simple business decision or just a straight out money grab and a result of profiting off people getting sick and dying by poking holes and finding ways to exploit the watered down nature of the law?

I think I know the answers to the answers to these questions but I'd like some details.

EDIT: Also, I guess with the poo poo going in Louisiana that no one at all is talking about, can we get a new discussion that global warming is real? Or at least a denial and a hand wave from the RWM who dismiss people like me seeing it with my own loving eyes?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 18, 2016

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

BiggerBoat posted:

So if I'm understanding this ACA/Aetna thing and insurance companies pulling out of it, it's just a reaffirmation that the law was watered down poo poo to begin with and, while it was basically nothing more than a giant handout to insurance companies in the first place, it wasn't a BIG enough hand out to offset the money they'd make by continuing to be greedy fuckers and seeking loopholes in the law to increase profits while people get sick and die.

Well, it's less of a handout and more of a concession.

If insurance companies are required to cover people with preexisting conditions, then the expenses incurred by the pool of insured people goes up. The individual mandate exists to offset that increased cost. This is not an unreasonable thing.

Unfortunately the ACA did nothing to bring down the "cost" of healthcare. Doctors still need to send exorbitant bills upstream in order to get a fraction of the requested amount back. We need actual pricing controls, driven by doctors and their offices, not insurance companies or politicians. If we don't get costs under control, it'll be hard to convince the public that single payer is a good idea.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So this is that big crowder video

https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/766041715220291584

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I wonder if they're trying to look exactly like each other or is that just a typical brostyle these days?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is some brazen corporate villainy here. As in, "one step away from threatening to foreclose on the puppy orphanage if they don't get more treasure" cartoonish evil.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

If its not him suck starting one of those firearms, its a letdown.

This is what his hubub was about? What a waste.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
That Aetna thing is just for new ACA sign-ups, right? They get to keep their existing customers they acquired from the exchanges?

If so, that's really awful. They participated long enough to get a whole hell of a lot of new customers during the first few years of the ACA, and now that there's fewer sign-ups on an on-going basis they can just take their ball and go home. What assholes.

There's laws in place preventing people from waiting until they're sick to sign up for insurance, but there's not laws in place preventing insurance companies from pulling out of the exchanges after they've juiced their sign-ups.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just don't understand why keeping guns out of the hands of psycopaths in a political issue?

That's the question here. The question isn't whether your dip poo poo neighbor down the road can buy a gun or not. If he's gone through the background check, done everything right and doesn't do poo poo? Then by all means have a loving gun. See if I care.

If you're Seung-Hui Choi, Jared Lee Loughner, James Holmes or Adam Lanza? gently caress. They SHOULD not have been able to get their loving hands on a gun. Period.

I don't want to lejackal this thread, but again, I don't see how this is so loving hard for wing nuts to grasp.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

ErIog posted:

That Aetna thing is just for new ACA sign-ups, right? They get to keep their existing customers they acquired from the exchanges?

I think they said those plans are going away, so those people will have to find new plans for 2017.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

FuzzySkinner posted:

I just don't understand why keeping guns out of the hands of psycopaths in a political issue?

That's the question here. The question isn't whether your dip poo poo neighbor down the road can buy a gun or not. If he's gone through the background check, done everything right and doesn't do poo poo? Then by all means have a loving gun. See if I care.

If you're Seung-Hui Choi, Jared Lee Loughner, James Holmes or Adam Lanza? gently caress. They SHOULD not have been able to get their loving hands on a gun. Period.

I don't want to lejackal this thread, but again, I don't see how this is so loving hard for wing nuts to grasp.

To be more absolutist and zealous about your gun rights is to be more virtuous; to be more virtuous is to advance politically and within your peer group.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FuzzySkinner posted:

every gun nerd is afraid of being exposed as a psycho

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

BattleHork posted:

Good news, the National Review is here to tell us we're all girly men being wimpified by them drat feminists. (If we're so strong and awesome and poo poo, why is it so drat easy for any little thing women do to tear us down from the mountaintop?)

quote:

Our culture strips its young men of their created purpose and then wonders why they struggle. It wonders why men — who are built to be distinctive from women — flail in modern schools and workplaces designed from the ground-up for the feminine experience. Men were meant to be strong. Yet we excuse and enable their weakness. It’s but one marker of cultural decay, to be sure, but it’s a telling marker indeed. There is no virtue in physical decline.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...August16French2

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

To be more absolutist and zealous about your gun rights is to be more virtuous; to be more virtuous is to advance politically and within your peer group.

It's why I despise conservatism. It's never about searching for solutions, it's about doubling down on poo poo ideas and throwing a temper tantrum when someone dares to offer a solution to a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGRg4U0kJsU

Look at what Sheriff Clark of Milwaukee and Scott Walker said recently. Those shitbags have no interest in solving the problem, all they do is stoke dog whistle racism. Anytime someone dares make a sugguestion? These loving morons open their mouths, stomp their feet and scream "no".

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 18, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I swear that it's just like calling a white person a racist. I saw a gun nut arguing on facebook with a survivor of spousal abuse involving her abuser shooting her, saying that if her abuser hadn't been able to buy a gun legally, he would have either bought one on the black market or used knives and baseball bats and so laws restricting access to guns make no difference. The gun nut was a woman too, and knew nothing about the abuse survivor's experience other than what she posted.

It was seriously like seeing a chatbot in action. Gun people are the worst.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

BattleHork posted:

What is it with these guys and Russians?

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Bast Relief posted:

What is it with these guys and Russians?

They're actually dumb enough to believe the strong man propaganda Russia pumps out.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Jack Gladney posted:

I swear that it's just like calling a white person a racist. I saw a gun nut arguing on facebook with a survivor of spousal abuse involving her abuser shooting her, saying that if her abuser hadn't been able to buy a gun legally, he would have either bought one on the black market or used knives and baseball bats and so laws restricting access to guns make no difference. The gun nut was a woman too, and knew nothing about the abuse survivor's experience other than what she posted.

It was seriously like seeing a chatbot in action. Gun people are the worst.

Post "a clip and a magazine are the same thing" on your Facebook so you know who to unfriend.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

TVs Ian posted:

I think they said those plans are going away, so those people will have to find new plans for 2017.

Yep. And the Blues and the FEHB companies and lots of other plans are going to be on there. gently caress EnronAetna. They thought they could stroll in and suck up some sweet, sweet government subsidies for nothing. Then they lost out to people who made actual business decisions and put in the work to offer more affordable prices for the same product. Bunch of old dinosaurs couldn't adapt, so they're out. The ones that could, and the the new ones that grew up survive. Happens all the time in the business world.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Post "a clip and a magazine are the same thing" on your Facebook so you know who to unfriend.
cant read a clip :colbert:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I prefer "bullet cozies"

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

I knew United was pulling out of some states when I bought a Silver plan from them off the Federal exchange in NC this July. I was hoping I'd get to keep it awhile.
That same month I got a letter from United to inform me they were pulling their participation out of NC (a state that already has almost no competition in the exchange) and I'll have to find new coverage in 2017.

They're making decent money off me and I'll probably only have one office visit before the end of December. Cigna, United HC, and Blue Cross Blue Shield are the most we've ever had on the exchange in NC and so the prices are higher. With United gone I expect plans to suck more.

My greatest hope is McCrory loses to Cooper in November, and maybe we see some movement towards the ACA in NC. I suppose nothing will really improve unless a) the federal gov't improves the ACA or b) the NC GA swings blue someday.

Unfortunately NC dems only turn out for Presidential elections. I'm getting old, I don't make much money, and I sure would like some affordable healthcare. It would appear I'm in the wrong state country.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 18, 2016

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Sounds like its time to bring out trust busting again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

iospace posted:

Trump thinks this whole thing is a business, duh.

Which explains why he's running it into the ground.