Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Maybe it's because I'm a hoarder in videogames but it still felt like not enough, even at max.

The giant energy jars didn't help.

As a semi-recovered hoarder, the HR inventory was designed to break you of a crippling and useless habit. You don't actually need 17 candy bars and two jars and three different kinds of beer and 57 shotgun shells. Let it help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I need that inventory space so I can collect my zyme.

you're alright

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

counterfeitsaint posted:

As a semi-recovered hoarder, the HR inventory was designed to break you of a crippling and useless habit. You don't actually need 17 candy bars and two jars and three different kinds of beer and 57 shotgun shells. Let it help you.

If I don't have 17 candy bars then how can I melee every person in the bar?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

or you can just stash everything in your apartment :getin:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

GEP gun still sucks though. I need that inventory space so I can collect my zyme. There's absolutely no way that I'm clearing out 8 inventory spaces for something that is the least interesting way to solve any of the games problems. Quite frankly peoples willingness to give up 8 inventory spaces makes me question their dedication. If I really need an explosive missle I can find an explosive crate and hurtle it at whatever I want with my inhuman strength.

I feel like you should do a playthrough where you force yourself to take the GEP gun and use it as often as possible so you can see the light. Your resistance to the way of the GEP is holding you back from true Deus Ex nirvana.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I pick the crossbow fairly often because crossbows are coooool and I like to imagine myself as a super quiet stealthy character who gets in and out without anyone noticing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

for a silent takedown, the gep gun is the optimal choice

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I may be in the minority here, but I've always liked games where you have a "home" of some sort that you can come back to to relax a bit and store poo poo. The BG games let you stick stuff into containers just about anywhere and your loot would never go away. As another example, my favourite Thief game is 3 (I'm definitely in the minority there) partially because of the overworld-hub setup and also because you have an apartment that you can go back to.

Part of me wishes that Deus Ex had that, but I suppose that the game structure doesn't really lend itself to that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

JustJeff88 posted:

I may be in the minority here, but I've always liked games where you have a "home" of some sort that you can come back to to relax a bit and store poo poo. The BG games let you stick stuff into containers just about anywhere and your loot would never go away. As another example, my favourite Thief game is 3 (I'm definitely in the minority there) partially because of the overworld-hub setup and also because you have an apartment that you can go back to.

Part of me wishes that Deus Ex had that, but I suppose that the game structure doesn't really lend itself to that.

Shifter/Biomod added a feature where items you leave in your office at UNATCO will carry over between missions instead of vanishing.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

JustJeff88 posted:

Alpha Protocol did this really well. Play AP if you haven't already, that game is so loving good.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Guy Mann posted:

Shifter/Biomod added a feature where items you leave in your office at UNATCO will carry over between missions instead of vanishing.

I did *not* know that. Wonderful

Popelmon posted:

Alpha Protocol did this really well. Play AP if you haven't already, that game is so loving good.

I actually have a Steam copy and a PS3 copy (it was literally $2 at GameStop) buried in my backlog.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
You need a controller for the PC version because the hacking mini-game is unplayable otherwise. Do not choose hard difficulty; it also increases minigame difficulty to the point where it's almost impossible to complete them in time.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

You don't actually need ... three different kinds of beer

You lost me here

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Deus Ex happens over, what, 2-3 days?

Party Plane Jones posted:

You need a controller for the PC version because the hacking mini-game is unplayable otherwise.

I found it fairly straightforward (the trick is that the motion controlled by the mouse is NOT proportional to mouse speed, which throws a lot of people off)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Even without that (and it is an excellent feature) UNATCO HQ was a nice baseline state to have. It's another reason Invisible War is bad. There's no sense of grounding. Instead of having a comfortable base state the game rips away later, it's in a constant state of flux, rendering attachment near-impossible.

UNATCO was a home, or at bare minimum a workplace. Every single location in Invisible War is just another bus terminal.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Don't you only go to UNATCO like, twice throughout the game, and a third when you're locked up? I never really saw it as anything more than an early intermission.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

yeah the actual base is pauls apartment

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Deus Ex happens over, what, 2-3 days?
I had this argument in middle school. I was adamant it was all one night.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Momomo posted:

Don't you only go to UNATCO like, twice throughout the game, and a third when you're locked up? I never really saw it as anything more than an early intermission.
Three times + lockup. Between every early game mission, basically. It's definitely a homebase during that period.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I've tried every fix I can find but I can't get GMDX to work :(

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

jojoinnit posted:

Let's see, the initial New York seems to be one night. Then you go to Hong Kong, and if you're doing that in a helicopter that's like a two day journey at least. Hong Kong's one night let's say, then back to New York for a night. Then Paris is going to be another day's travel. Your night in Paris is then day eight. Then California, we'll call that one day's journey again. All that through the ending is one night. So I'm putting it as ten days with the assumption that this isn't some sort of supersonic magic helicopter, though a chopper traveling across oceans is already a big stretch.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I think I read somewhere it's actually a supersonic helicopter, yeah.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All I'm finding is the game says it has an ultra efficient fuel system giving it an extremely long range, nothing about speed.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

The killswitch takes 24 hours and you have 12 left when you get to hk i think? i dont quite recall

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

From the excellent dx let's play thread:

quote:

i'm pretty sure they didn't really take realistic travel time into account; before leaving for Hong Kong he mentions to somebody (either Anna or Simons, I can't remember) that he's still got 20 hours left before the killswitch activates, and when he's talking to Gordon Quick about seeing Tong I think he mentions he won't be the Luminous Path's ally for more than 12 hours if he doesn't see Tong. That leaves about 8 hours for JC's travel time, so I guess those black helicopters are completely insane.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TWIST FIST posted:

The killswitch takes 24 hours and you have 12 left when you get to hk i think? i dont quite recall

You're right, they do specify there. Okay so two different nights in NYC, one in HK, one in Paris, one for the endgame, that's five. Four long helicopter rides, say each is 8 hours. So we're talking a week-ish.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Samopsa posted:

I think I read somewhere it's actually a supersonic helicopter, yeah.

Which is a physical impossibility, by the way. The speed record for a helicopter is about 400 km/h IIRC. So if you want to have a helicopter that goes faster than that, you'll need to cheat, with for example a tiltrotor design like the Osprey. But even then, it won't be supersonic: you'll have essentially an airplane with very large propellers, and you're never going to have a supersonic prop plane. Finally, the Deus Ex chopper is a stealth helicopter supposed to be impressively silent, and that's another request that is violently incompatible with the need for speed. There's a reason why the fastest prop plane ever built was nicknamed "Thunderscreech". drat thing was so loud that its sound waves could knock people down and induce nausea and even seizure.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

jojoinnit posted:

How can it be one night in both New York and Hong Kong

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Which is a physical impossibility, by the way. The speed record for a helicopter is about 400 km/h IIRC. So if you want to have a helicopter that goes faster than that, you'll need to cheat, with for example a tiltrotor design like the Osprey. But even then, it won't be supersonic: you'll have essentially an airplane with very large propellers, and you're never going to have a supersonic prop plane. Finally, the Deus Ex chopper is a stealth helicopter supposed to be impressively silent, and that's another request that is violently incompatible with the need for speed. There's a reason why the fastest prop plane ever built was nicknamed "Thunderscreech". drat thing was so loud that its sound waves could knock people down and induce nausea and even seizure.

Yeah, I wasn't saying it makes sense in the real world, but hey, it's deus ex! There probably is a supersonic helicopter, the illuminati just doesn't want you to know!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The killswitch is the big problem since that puts a hard limit on things. JC has 20 hours from when he leaves NYC before he's dead. The mission to get Tong's help is going to take some time, and Paul establishes that if you cut it too close the killswitch fucks you up pretty bad and you aren't going to be able to do much. So he can't be getting it switched off with 15 minutes to spare or anything.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I always just assumed the helicopter was the equivalent of the one from the Sixth Day, where it had a jet mode.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Grand Fromage posted:

The killswitch is the big problem since that puts a hard limit on things. JC has 20 hours from when he leaves NYC before he's dead. The mission to get Tong's help is going to take some time, and Paul establishes that if you cut it too close the killswitch fucks you up pretty bad and you aren't going to be able to do much. So he can't be getting it switched off with 15 minutes to spare or anything.

He says he's sick but he can still waste a room full of MiBs

fuckpot posted:

I've tried every fix I can find but I can't get GMDX to work :(

My guess is that you either didn't run the game once after a fresh install, you aren't using Kenties launcher, or you aren't using the shortcut made specifically for GMDX. You also can't run the GMDX shortcut from Steam for some reason.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I went to a used game emporium this morning and bought a copy of No One Lives Forever on the PS2. I've owned and adored the PC version for years and this was very cheap, so I decided to give it a go even though FPS games are basically always better on PC.

For reasons that should be fairly obvious, this made me think of Deus Ex which also has a PS2 port. I've never had any contact with it, so I was wondering... how is it? I still maintain that analog controls are objectively inferior to mouse & keyboard PC controls, but that doesn't mean that Deus Ex PS2 is a bad game. Does anyone have any experience with that version and care to share thoughts, good and/or bad?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

DX on the PS2 is interesting. They did a really good job considering the tech they worked with, but it's still inferior. They redesigned the levels to fit in the RAM, and they also changed around how augs work among others. See this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XQQfHzpaTg

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
The timeline in Deus Ex is screwed up? You don't say!

The fun thing about JC making it from New York (23 hours left on killswitch) to Hong Kong (12 hours left on killswitch) in 11 hours is that Hong Kong is 13 hours ahead of New York - or, to put it another way, one calendar day ahead, plus 11 hours behind. So, solar time in Hong Kong when JC gets there is exactly the same as it was in New York when he left. In other words,

MrL_JaKiri posted:

jojoinnit posted:

although it is a different day in Hong Kong, it does effectively mean that all the New York missions up to the MJ12 escape and all of the Hong Kong missions have to fit into a single night's worth of time. (Fun fact: a police report in Wan Chai market indicates that Jock's helicopter arrived at 19:38 and JC reached street level at 20:10.)

Assuming the amount of time taken to fly back to New York is similar, JC only gains two hours, so Hell's Kitchen III, the ship and the cemetary must also fit into the same night.

I haven't figured out how this extends to the Paris or the California/Nevada missions, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it turned out that they somehow need to fit into the same "single" night too. (Based on the train times, it's about 23:20 when JC is meeting Atanwe in the Metro station.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There must be secret illuminati warp gates hidden all over the world, and the Jock's copter just flies through them.

Sometimes an aircraft unwittingly flies through a warp gate, and you get an MH370 story :tinfoil:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxOKEsBx4NU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
In Invisible War one of the characters is a helicopter.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Something about flying back through time zones. It just felt like it was just one continues event for at least the first 2/3rds.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 19, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Samopsa posted:

DX on the PS2 is interesting. They did a really good job considering the tech they worked with, but it's still inferior. They redesigned the levels to fit in the RAM, and they also changed around how augs work among others. See this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XQQfHzpaTg

The PS2 version was my first experience with the game. Rewatching footage of it now after being so accustomed to the PC version is weird though, the levels are all redesigned to be a bit smaller but the textures and models are better and it kind of throws me off. No locational damage too, so no blowing off your legs in the tutorial and crawling your way to the exit in the PS2 version.

It's definitely not a bad port though all things considered and while levels were cut down, they're not nearly as restrictive as Invisible War's I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jojoinnit posted:

In Invisible War one of the characters is a helicopter.
You don't remember the riveting conversations you had with Black Helicopter in DX1?