Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Skoll posted:

The only cosmetic I have truly enjoyed so far has been the Horzine suit, because it just looks loving awesome.

Really? If I'm honest I think it looks kinda bland. And watching like 50% of other players wearing it makes the game look like a more generic space marine-style game than it actually is. I liked seeing dudes in camo fighting alongside an Australian woman in a polka dot dress and a man in heavy metal attire while I run around as a cryogenically frozen German soldier who looks like he just stepped out of Triumph of the Will. It's goofy and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Really? If I'm honest I think it looks kinda bland. And watching like 50% of other players wearing it makes the game look like a more generic space marine-style game than it actually is. I liked seeing dudes in camo fighting alongside an Australian woman in a polka dot dress and a man in heavy metal attire while I run around as a cryogenically frozen German soldier who looks like he just stepped out of Triumph of the Will. It's goofy and fun.

This is on par with, "Wow the game is bland because everyone is running X class that just came out.". Yeah, it's going to be popular for awhile because it's new but I think it really looks neat. Slap the Horzine suit, headband, and eyepatch on Anton and you're like some kind of historical Solid Snake running around murdering zombies. What's not to like?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I like the Horzine suit because I am a zombie-stomping fascist from space. Not sure if I am keen on the toy pistol reskins or not.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Skoll posted:

This is on par with, "Wow the game is bland because everyone is running X class that just came out.". Yeah, it's going to be popular for awhile because it's new but I think it really looks neat. Slap the Horzine suit, headband, and eyepatch on Anton and you're like some kind of historical Solid Snake running around murdering zombies. What's not to like?
Fair point. Most people probably are running with it because it's new. Guess I shouldn't complain.
If i'm honest I already run around with a white headband and plain black eyepatch as "Wound Badge Anton" even before the update dropped.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The Wilkes armor works with a lot of the characters but I do agree with Godzilla in that I like the weird variety that the characters have. Like, I am never putting Scully in the armor. Where the armor is great, though, is for old man Briar and Masterson. Running around in power armor yelling WANKERS is top level delight.

Anton and Reverend Al look cool in it too.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Luchadork posted:

The Wilkes armor works with a lot of the characters but I do agree with Godzilla in that I like the weird variety that the characters have. Like, I am never putting Scully in the armor. Where the armor is great, though, is for old man Briar and Masterson. Running around in power armor yelling WANKERS is top level delight.

Anton and Reverend Al look cool in it too.

I remember running the helm as well as the armor and yeah no the helm ain't so great if ya got some bitchin' shades instead.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
No-recoil hip-firing with Gunslinger loving owns.

E: Hans is still poo poo, but the other stuff seems mostly good. I'm still irritable about certain weapons not one-shotting certain enemies under various circumstances, but that's basically it, I think? Oh, some perks are definitely bad, and that's not good, either.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, the dodge moves on Hans are very bad on a boss who likes to run around and make you miss your shots already. No animations exacerbates the issue but let's save the animation team trouble: how about taking those out -- he also blocks headshots with his armblades and occasionally brings out the old removeplayer.exe, so he's not lacking for ways to be annoying. :v:

also I feel like the text suggests every player should get the "kill patriarch before he heals" achievement, not just the person who lands the killshot, but it's that second case.

turnways, I wanna comment on this in particular:

turnways posted:

It's rare for enemies to block in the lower difficulties (and still not all that common in the upper ones), and when they do block, the blocks don't absorb a lot of damage (an extra bullet or light attack IIRC). We've also lowered their average TTK (time to kill, basically how long it takes to mow them down)

I don't see or really feel any TTK changes, for what it's worth. How much of a change are we talkin' about?

Still, blocks: Good addition. Keeps things interesting. That said, they seem a little bit too long. Not much, but enough. Even on hard, a Gorefast will keep the blades up for much longer than one shot - so it seems to be absorbing or blocking more than one bullet; either the blocks are too long or absorbing too much, because the situation you describe isn't what I'm seeing. I've noticed this most with Gorefasts, because they love throwing up the armblades like the shits they are, but it's possibly universal.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 16, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
And really, it's poo poo like this that makes me enjoy this game:

https://fat.gfycat.com/FastFrenchDuckbillcat.webm

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Popping mid-air crawlers and stalkers in Zed Time is one of the most goddamn satisfying things in video games.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

widespread posted:

I did and holy loving poo poo this looks like it was pulled off a Suicide Squad poster. Gotta sell it.

But there any good collections? Like... NOT terrible poo poo?
The whole Stories of War set is pretty cool IMO, especially the AR-15 and SCAR. I also have a Predator pump shotgun that I'm reasonably fond of. And honestly, some of the basic common ones like Tiger and Woodland are nice because they at least look reasonable. And then there's sets like SWAT and Tactical, which go too far the wrong way, being so non-ostentatious that they are instead just really boring.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 17, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Anyone else crashing repeatedly on Evacuation Point? I'm crashing on literally every wave, sometimes more than once.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I feel like they've fixed the disappearing explosives bug. I haven't had a misfire all night and I've been playing demo almost exclusively.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

It is starting to feel good again.

Though all these swats is making leveling up Sharpshooter a bit of a pain.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Anyone else crashing repeatedly on Evacuation Point? I'm crashing on literally every wave, sometimes more than once.

Not, but every now and then I get the "crash on player join" bug. I've had multiple matches to completion on Evac.

Carbohydrates posted:

The whole Stories of War set is pretty cool IMO, especially the AR-15 and SCAR. I also have a Predator pump shotgun that I'm reasonably fond of. And honestly, some of the basic common ones like Tiger and Woodland are nice because they at least look reasonable. And then there's sets like SWAT and Tactical, which go too far the wrong way, being so non-ostentatious that they are instead just really boring.

Stories is pretty neat but all the skins I've got from it so far have been in battle-scarred condition and nearly unnoticeable. On the other hand I got a battle-scarred tactical skin for the 1911's and I think it looks pretty cool.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I hear a ton of criticisms of this game but whenever I pop in to play it it still feels like the same old good KF to me. What am I missing that is causing people to get so grumps over?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Knifegrab posted:

I hear a ton of criticisms of this game but whenever I pop in to play it it still feels like the same old good KF to me. What am I missing that is causing people to get so grumps over?

I mean, that's a loaded question. Everyone's got their gripes, but I think overall most people are positive about it except for:

1) The constant fuckery that Berserker goes through
2) The goddamn resistance system
3) Hans wait no he's good now whoops he's poo poo again

If you missed the resistance system at the apex of it's terribleness, it made everything feel like an utter slog to kill. They're dialed that waaaaay back and while I'd still like to see it removed entirely, it's at least tolerable now.

I also think there's two segments of players out there that tend to complain a lot: a group that quite literally just wanted KF1 on an updated graphics engine,and a group that is extremely vocal on the official forums that wants the game to be brutally hard. Neither of these groups is ever happy with the state of the game.

There's been a few other dumb moves on the part of TW too, like putting in a microtransaction system and a VS mode that no one asked for before the game was even finished and out of EA, but I don't think either of those things really makes the game worse.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Knifegrab posted:

im just gonna link my steam review because i feel like it captures a lot of the friction here

quote:

"We see Early Access as an opportunity to involve you, the community, and actually incorporate your feedback as we balance and put the finishing touches on the game. For example, we know how to nail the feel of Killing Floor 2’s weapons, but perfect gameplay balance can only come from large scale play testing. "

This is an outright lie. Tripwire has made 4 major updates now and incorporated absolutely none of the player feedback - changes have only been made when they happen to agree with the player feedback. They continue to release new systems nobody asked for and change the 'vision' of the game seemingly at random (first by including a Versus mode nobody asked for, and then including an opaque and unnecessary resistance system), without regard for playability or fun.

Avoid. Even if you like it today, there's no guarantee it will remain fundamentally the same game next month. Do not buy this game until Tripwire figures out what kind of game they want it to be. Then you can make the decision on whether or not it's a game you like.

I will say that I'm not quite as hard on it in the last month or so but the last mechanic update was the odd man out in being well thought out, well trialed, and well responded to. All other updates have brought some serious gameplay issues and the response to the community's reaction was honestly the most embarrassingly unprofessional bullshit I've seen in years. The high point of it was when overwhelming player feedback about one attack from one boss was too powerful and there was nothing players could do when it came out, and that feedback was roundly ignored for 6 months.

Also as someone with a couple hundred hours in KF1, I honestly can't think of a single game of KF2 I've played where it felt like the same old KF - the semantics of the game have changed drastically, some for good, some for bad. So I am not 100% sure what you're talking about there.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What is this Horzine armor and how does one get it?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Say, when did they patch in the ability to ragdoll zeds around even when you haven't killed them yet? Because that owns:
https://giant.gfycat.com/FancyUnhealthyAmericanshorthair.webm

On that note, it feels like Demo is actually in a pretty good spot right now, at least on Hard. Especially on maps with some nice chokepoints you can really obliterate trash without even trying, and you're still pretty great against large zeds, too. In that round I had as many kills and assists each as the next two players combined.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

What is this Horzine armor and how does one get it?

It's an outfit that shows up in your inventory, select it like any other piece of clothing. Might be beta branch only.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I see it now. I think it is kinda cool, it leaves the option to have a band of space marines fighting, some people like it that way. Plus lore wise, I'd imagine everyone would have some sort of fatigues or a combat suit.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

lore-wise my inventory shouldn't be clogged with all these encrypted USB drives I keep getting, but here we are. Conclusion: lore has no place in KF.

for real though how about making USB keys rare drops because I can't even sell these useless things

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
What exactly is the resistance system?

Also enabling vocals for the music owns.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Knifegrab posted:

What exactly is the resistance system?

Also enabling vocals for the music owns.

There was an image like this for basically every single zed out there. Overnight, most zeds became nigh-invulnerable to many weapon types and only truly vulnerable to one. The Stalker was the one that was laughed at most because she's an invisible woman in lingerie and was somehow almost completely immune to 00 buckshot. Kevlar tits, I guess.

But yeah, imagine an image like that for every single zed in the game, and you're more or less expected to know all of them well enough to react to the appearance of these various zeds in combat situations. That's what the resistance system is/was. Resistances have largely been taken out of the game - not entirely, but enough that it's not terribly noticeable.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I mean I kind of like the idea in theory but yeah in practice its probably just frustrating and terrible.

I like KF2, just listen to some cheesy rear end music and blast zombies, its my jam. I'm glad I wasn't heavily invested in its development.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I thought the high-point of the resistance system debacle was when people realized that crawlers - which the Firebug gets XP bonuses for killing - were made incredibly resistant to fire.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Knifegrab posted:

I mean I kind of like the idea in theory but yeah in practice its probably just frustrating and terrible.

I like KF2, just listen to some cheesy rear end music and blast zombies, its my jam. I'm glad I wasn't heavily invested in its development.
Well the big problem was that when the resistances system first dropped it made the "blast zombies" part really, really terrible

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

I mean, in principle it's something that reasonably could work. Like, the husk is a charred near-skeleton with a flamethrower, so it's pretty intuitive that he might be resistant to fire. The bloat is super fat, so small bullets to the body might not bother him too much, that sort of thing.
The problem was that the resistances were utterly unintuitive, like the aforementioned tiny naked woman who is somehow near immune to shotgun blasts. Or the small spider-like Crawler that is highly resistant to flamethrowers, when approximately every other game ever has taught you that bugs can best be killed with fire. Oh, and he's also fairly resistant against shotguns and pistols, yet vulnerable to submachine guns, because fart. So they basically expected you to sit down and memorize the effectiveness of against 12 separate damage types against each of the eight enemy types. Just 96 possible combinations, no big deal.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Horzine armor is only available for people who bought the game at launch if I'm not mistaken.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Alteisen posted:

Horzine armor is only available for people who bought the game at launch if I'm not mistaken.

It's available to anyone who buys it during the EA (and right now only available in the beta).

Speaking of which, it's updating right now with a 500mb update. Oh boy.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Perestroika posted:

Say, when did they patch in the ability to ragdoll zeds around even when you haven't killed them yet? Because that owns:
https://giant.gfycat.com/FancyUnhealthyAmericanshorthair.webm

On that note, it feels like Demo is actually in a pretty good spot right now, at least on Hard. Especially on maps with some nice chokepoints you can really obliterate trash without even trying, and you're still pretty great against large zeds, too. In that round I had as many kills and assists each as the next two players combined.

Yeah, I agree that Demo is in a pretty excellent place right now coming from Suicidal.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Luchadork posted:

It's available to anyone who buys it during the EA (and right now only available in the beta).

Speaking of which, it's updating right now with a 500mb update. Oh boy.

Here's the update change log, it looks like mostly bugfixes and buffs. Also a fix for the FP death sound bug, huzzah.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.c...eview-changelog

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I'm looking at the stats spreadsheet, and health values for Husks and Sirens are listed as constant across player counts. Is this true?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Looks like they buffed the crossbow stun power and reduced the costs for support ammo. Nice!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Looks like they buffed the crossbow stun power and reduced the costs for support ammo. Nice!

Yeah, that mag cost for the AA12 looks sick right now. Also cool that Sharps get SOME stunner to counteract the M14's nerf.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Are the changes still beta or live now?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

TheTatteredKing posted:

Are the changes still beta or live now?

It's still in the beta.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is martial artist in the game yet

Adbot