Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Huh. Maybe? The alpina thread on E90post.com looks like it's only N54/N55 engined cars, but perhaps something changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
whats the best way to clear out or unclog the AC drain tube on an e46? stick a coat hanger up there? i have two cans of einszett Klima Cleaner on the way but i know the drain tube needs to be cleared out first

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Well I requested a quote on an M2. Whats the wait time on one? I heard 2 years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat that's a long time to wait for a quote

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BraveUlysses posted:

whats the best way to clear out or unclog the AC drain tube on an e46? stick a coat hanger up there? i have two cans of einszett Klima Cleaner on the way but i know the drain tube needs to be cleared out first

Trombone cleaner. It's the only way you're going to reach that far and actually do anything.

Popete posted:

Well I requested a quote on an M2. Whats the wait time on one? I heard 2 years.

Last I heard it was 18 months.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How are the recent BMW X3s, as far as small SUVs go? Are there any features or packages that are a must get if purchasing new/gently used? Primary use is going to be commuting.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Any decent forums for e46 M3s? m3forum.net seems ok but everything else I've come across is a drat trainwreck. Looking more for technical information and developments and less "new eBay halos installed."

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Try them but Bimmerfest and E46Fanatics are probably the same at this point unfortunately.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Guinness posted:

The M54 in my E46 has 94k miles and still runs great. Had to replace the VCG recently, and I rebuilt the DISA a while back. Other than that no engine issues so far. My coolant system is still all in one piece, too, but I did preventatively replace the expansion tank and also running the system at a lower pressure using the rad cap from GAS.

Those lower pressure radiator caps don't run the system at a lower pressure, they will just start venting coolant at a lower pressure if you overfill the system or overheat. It's not lowering the normal operating pressure of the system since under normal conditions the internal pressure of the system barely hits 100 kPa no matter what the cap is rated for. Even those reduced pressure caps won't hit their limit until you are over 120C, which is way into overheat territory.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Residency Evil posted:

How are the recent BMW X3s, as far as small SUVs go? Are there any features or packages that are a must get if purchasing new/gently used? Primary use is going to be commuting.

You should probably just get a Lexus. :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Any decent forums for e46 M3s? m3forum.net seems ok but everything else I've come across is a drat trainwreck. Looking more for technical information and developments and less "new eBay halos installed."

Could try here, http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72 - a lot of these guys used to own E46's/still do, it's still potentially a typical non-AI car forum (worthless) but there's some decent knowledge/slightly more grown-up posters without a ton of lovely modzzzzz being applied to good cars.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

Could try here, http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72 - a lot of these guys used to own E46's/still do, it's still potentially a typical non-AI car forum (worthless) but there's some decent knowledge/slightly more grown-up posters without a ton of lovely modzzzzz being applied to good cars.

Their ZPost section is pretty good, and the Z4M engine is the same as the e46 M3, so you could potentially get some resources there. When I changed the alternator in my MCoupe I actually used a guide I found on an e46 M3 forum, but I couldn't tell you which one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

concise posted:

You should probably just get a Lexus. :v:

She feels the Lexus is too soccer mom-ish.

Yeah, I know.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
How the gently caress do I get my axle out. I need to do my ABS rings and I did the passenger side without much drama. Tried to do the driver's side last night, and never got the axle out of the hub. Hammered it with a BFH and an air chisel, didn't move a cunthair.

I'm envisioning some sort of bigass hub puller thingie I can bolt to the hub with the wheel bolts and go to town. Does such a thing exist?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

They're not that good as standard tbh I found😟
An Unmodified m3 basically says, "I don't really care about driving," to me 🤔

M3post has a lot of information on the 46 and is very America orientated. Always seemed helpful enough to me.
If you want nerds who just drone on about how great standard cars are try M3Cutters. UK site predominantly.

I'm still thinking about a 6er for a daily too.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
But an unmodified M3 is a great car...

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My car is so unmodified it has the original valve stem caps on it, when I sell it in 2072 it will be worth $300 million dollars because of this. Sorry about your non-numbers matching ChevE46

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Bape Culture posted:

An Unmodified m3 basically says, "I don't really care about driving," to me 🤔

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard you say, and that says a lot.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ether Frenzy posted:

My car is so unmodified it has the original valve stem caps on it, when I sell it in 2072 it will be worth $300 million dollars because of this. Sorry about your non-numbers matching ChevE46

I have the same oil filter from the factory in my 96 M3.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I know we all like to post in hyperbole and troll me for loving driving but here are the issues I had with my standard car:

Badly designed rear subframe mount that will eventually fail
Steering too slow
Wheels on 90% of em too big and too narrow leading to understeer when pushing on
Brakes absolutely pathetic for a performance car
lovely gearbox that feels like it came off a 320
Badly oiled crank which was apparently addressed in the facelift but it wasn't
Unsupportive seats

I think BMW themselves admitted most of these shortcomings with the csl.

It's still better than most cars but it's a shame they didn't take it all the way. It's still a better chassis than a 92 and a new one tho! :twisted:

But on a positive note here's a video of my pal Moran destroying a £300k Aston Gt12 in a shonky modified E46 :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeTcVPMQXws

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Whoops double post!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

I know we all like to post in hyperbole and troll me for loving driving but here are the issues I had with my standard car:

:rolleyes:

You're the guy on Craigslist that lists the market price of all the mods in your car and tries to use that as a selling point, aren't you?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

you should have bought a fast car

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Popete posted:

:rolleyes:

You're the guy on Craigslist that lists the market price of all the mods in your car and tries to use that as a selling point, aren't you?

I won't sell it tbh. It's all fixed now and until I can buy a viper acr or a gt3rs there would be no point.

BraveUlysses posted:

you should have bought a fast car

It's fast now I suppose :mrgw:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Honestly most of what I write is supposed to be in jest or just my thoughts sorry it winds people up.
I like the aesthetics and the chassis it just needed bits for my wants :)
I'm bad at getting my point across online and that's on me.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Someone here needs to have contrary/wrong opinions otherwise it just turns into an echo chamber.

I love the S54 for what it was/is but trolling BMW nerds with a Chevy-powered ///////////M is pretty drat funny. Also ChevE46 is the best.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I only just got it that's perfect!
I assumed it was a misspelling of chavvy m3 HAHA!
LSM3 also is nice I think

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
You guys realize Bape's gonna have the fastest on-track car in the thread right?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

Honestly most of what I write is supposed to be in jest or just my thoughts sorry it winds people up.
I like the aesthetics and the chassis it just needed bits for my wants :)
I'm bad at getting my point across online and that's on me.

I enjoy your posts and appreciate that someone is mental enough to do the things you do to your car. Also it's certainly nice looking even if you did have to put £70k into it before it quit falling apart, and the things that make us different are the things that bring us together. Cars are good and cool.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I like my stock zhp I paid too much for hth

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't know Bape Culture at all, I was simply responding to his posts in this thread in regards to the stock E46 M3 being bad and people who drive a stock car don't care about cars which is a dumb thing to say. I know nothing about his car but I'm assuming he put an LS1 into his M3 which isn't exactly revolutionary but that is cool and I am glad he enjoys doing that, it doesn't mean people who drive stock are inferior.

Also the whole "I'm persecuted because I enjoy driving" is a thing that was said on a car forum.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Any clues what might be going on with the temp issues in this m42?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5741244886.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I ran across a local ad for a V8 E30 and I noticed the corner of an orange Exige in the corner of the shot. Definitely the dude I sold my white 318is to so I emailed him to see if he still has the car. Fingers crossed, no way he'd sell it now though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

Any clues what might be going on with the temp issues in this m42?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5741244886.html

That's like a 2k car at best. that car will require a lot of time and the and still not be as fun as your miata.

Edit you really should let this car hunt go for the next year, baby is going to take up all your time and energy.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 20, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Agree with the above.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

That's like a 2k car at best. that car will require a lot of time and the and still not be as fun as your miata.

Edit you really should let this car hunt go for the next year, baby is going to take up all your time and energy.

Yeah, I know, I just get excited when I see them. I'm on a craigslist vision quest for a family hauler and get easily distracted.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Is Bape becoming the Dr. Faustus / Guitar talk of this thread?

Infinotize posted:

I like my stock zhp I paid too much for hth

Me too, thanks in part to this very thread.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Cobalt60 posted:

Is Bape becoming the Dr. Faustus / Guitar talk of this thread?

What that means?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dr. Faustus is a broke brains guy who loves really bad guitars.

You guys are lucky that most of you have never had to listen to Faustus audibly complain about his life in forza voice chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Have a quick question about the 1997 M3 stereo (which is loving garbage). How do I know if it has 6 speakers or 10 speakers? I don't see anything in the manual with regards to the stereo that is actually helpful.

Do the tweeter and mid in the door count as 1 speaker? If so that's 2 in the doors, 2 in the kick panels and 2 in the rear deck, correct?

If it is 10 - where are the other 4 hiding? I can find wiring diagrams, but not speaker location diagrams online.

At least the previous owner had the presence of mind to replace the head unit - but with some lovely Pioneer. Nothing against Pioneer, it's the model that sucks.

But yeah. Bought a 97 M3. Loving it so far. Pre-inspection looked good. Needs a bit of work, but nothing major.

I don't think either of the previous owners cleaned or conditioned the leather, ever :(

And according to bimmerforums, since neither of the owners replaced the rear shock mounts, I'm allowed to kill them and claim their wives.