Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

88h88 posted:

To be fair nobody buys a fixie/singlespeed because they're a better bike for doing whatever, but mainly because they look cool.

Significantly cheaper and easier to maintain as well, I believe. Plus you can do JGL's monologue from Premium Rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I dunno man, you can get a Huffy at Walmart for, like, 99 buckazoids.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

88h88 posted:

To be fair nobody buys a fixie/singlespeed because they're a better bike for doing whatever, but mainly because they look cool.

SILENCE! Find your local velodrome and go schralp some boards. You will be a better person for it.

Content: I bought a box of this.

For the record I think Rob Rhinehart is the living embodiment of :goonsay: and his self-congratulating, hyper quantitative view of the world disgusts me, but my eating habits need to get a little better these days and I will try anything with coffee in it.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Aug 17, 2016

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011

PCOS Bill posted:

Why buy a processor now if you're just going to upgrade in a few months? You already have a functional gaming rig, just save the money and get the good processor instead of wasting some along the way on something just because.

Basically the motherboard I have won't run the PCIe Slot at 3.0 speeds without an FM2+ processor, which I didnt have. The motherboard/processor I've currently got will be re-used in a "new" desktop for my in-laws, rather than them going and buying an off the shelf piece of HP crap. So nothing really wasted.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

strangemusic posted:

SILENCE! Find your local velodrome and go schralp some boards. You will be a better person for it.

For the record I think Rob Rhinehart is the living embodiment of :goonsay: and his self-congratulating, hyper quantitative view of the world disgusts me, but my eating habits need to get a little better these days and I will try anything with coffee in it.

Rat dropping shop shaming in 3, 2, ...

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

strangemusic posted:

I thought you were talking about Rob Reiner at first and was really confused about what I had missed.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Aramek posted:

I dunno man, you can get a Huffy at Walmart for, like, 99 buckazoids.

I don't know if you joke but my $140 basic wal mart bike is often mistaken for a more expensive bike because it rides nice and has a sweet black and white color scheme. I always laugh and tell people it's no skin off my back if it ever gets stolen cuz it isn't worth poo poo. It hasnt broken down and is easy to mantain too, despite the insistence of a few friends who were convinced it was going to fall apart in six months and were trying to get me to spend $600(!!) on a "starter bike" (what a stupid loving term). I do have to tighten the brakes every few months, but it's no big deal.

Methinks there is some snake oil going on when it comes to high end bikes, but me also only uses it to bike around urban/semi rural streets and get poo poo done when a car isn't conveniently available so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Aug 17, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a $500 Specialized Hard rock a decade ago and put maybe 100 miles on it in that time. I wish someone had shop shamed me out of it. I bought it on a whim when I walked into a bicycle shop downtown and was thinking about how great a new bicycle would be for going downtown instead of walking there. Then I moved back to the city, on a hill. gently caress that bike now.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

I thought you were talking about Rob Reiner at first and was really confused about what I had missed.

Now I want to hear Rob Reiner do dramatic readings of Rob Rhinehart's blogs and I am giggling at my desk at work, thank you very much.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

M42 posted:

I got me some good ol' rheumatoid arthritis in ny hands and these types of mice are a lifesaver. Couldn't use a computer without them. :zoid:

Ohhh, gotcha, that's an excellent reason right there. That didn't even occur to me, I was just thinking that it was a habit thing for people to keep using them, like physical keyboards on phones

KingSlime posted:

I don't know if you joke but my $140 basic wal mart bike

Methinks there is some snake oil going on when it comes to high end bikes, but me also only uses it to bike around urban/semi rural streets and get poo poo done when a car isn't conveniently available so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Hey, whatever gets you out riding, especially if you're concerned about theft!

Typically the reasoning to get a good bike is that lower end bikes aren't generally designed to be fixable and use subpar parts that are prone to breaking. Bikes from Trek or Giant and the like are substantially lighter, have better indexed shifting, are more reliable, and most importantly are designed with different frame sizes to fit your respective height, which makes riding easier, more comfortable, efficient, and puts less wear and tear on your joints.

Not an issue if you're just putzing around every so often, but it will make riding more enjoyable and make it more likely you'll stick with it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

strangemusic posted:

Isn't this the thing that had unsafe levels of like, arsenic in it?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

strangemusic posted:

I saw this and thought about it getting it until I read it had 400 calories for a bottle. If you are trying to better your eating habits, 400 calories in a breakfast drink may not be the best way. I eat a egg white and turkey sausage sandwich in the morning and it only has 180calories.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Calaveron posted:

Isn't this the thing that had unsafe levels of like, arsenic in it?

High enough that they need to notify California residents.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

fyallm posted:

I saw this and thought about it getting it until I read it had 400 calories for a bottle. If you are trying to better your eating habits, 400 calories in a breakfast drink may not be the best way. I eat a egg white and turkey sausage sandwich in the morning and it only has 180calories.

"Low calorie = healthy", and "Egg whites are healthier than whole eggs"? Are you posting from 1996?

That applies to their powdered product. The liquid stuff has almost completely different ingredients and is not Prop 65 labeled.

Also, just because California does something doesn't mean it's right. Prop 65 is some crap, feel-good legislation.

GoGoGadgetChris has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Aug 17, 2016

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Low calorie = healthy", and "Egg whites are healthier than whole eggs"? Are you posting from 1996?

Low calorie = weight loss & weight loss *usually* means healthier.

I don't think I typed whole eggs anywhere in my post.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

fyallm posted:

Low calorie = weight loss & weight loss *usually* means healthier.

I don't think I typed whole eggs anywhere in my post.

Well, do you eat egg whites because they're equally or less healthy than whole eggs?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fuckin love me some golden eggs.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

fyallm posted:

Fun fact: I will easily burn a big chunk of an average daily calorie intake in any given bike ride, plus strength training on off days. Maybe if you are sitting on your rear end 24/7 it's not a good calorie allocation, but generally I need to eat a lot. 180cal at breakfast would leave me practically starving by lunch.

And also while egg white and sausage sandwiches are delicious, 1) I am not a morning person 2) they take time to make and 3) they cost more money than they're worth to buy from Starbucks, and prepackaged ones basically have no nutritive value.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Aug 17, 2016

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Well, do you eat egg whites because they're equally or less healthy than whole eggs?

I eat them because they have less calories and I am currently watching my caloric intake in order to lose weight and become healither.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

strangemusic posted:

Fun fact: I will easily burn through most people's daily calorie intake or more in any given bike ride, plus strength training on off days. Maybe if you are sitting on your rear end 24/7 it's not a good calorie allocation, but generally I need to eat a lot.

Sure, if you have time to exercise alot then the amount of calories you can intake will be higher than someone who doesn't.

quote:

And also while egg white and sausage sandwiches are delicious, 1) I am not a morning person 2) they take time to make and 3) they cost more money than they're worth to buy from Starbucks, and prepackaged ones basically have no nutritive value.

True they do take some time. I have a place near me that makes them for $2bucks. I am lucky

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

strangemusic posted:

Fun fact: I will easily burn a big chunk of an average daily calorie intake in any given bike ride, plus strength training on off days. Maybe if you are sitting on your rear end 24/7 it's not a good calorie allocation, but generally I need to eat a lot. 180cal at breakfast would leave me practically starving by lunch.

Haha, I see your edit. Good call.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

fyallm posted:

I eat them because they have less calories and I am currently watching my caloric intake in order to lose weight and become healither.

I don't know enough about you or your situation to get all :byodame: YOU'RE WRONG :byodame:, but you can eat the whole egg if you want to. Whole eggs are more positively associated with weight loss than egg whites!

But if the local shop's Turkey 'n' Egg White Sammich is one of your favorites, then rock on and eat that sucker.

(also I hope you're not trying to lose weight via an extremely low calorie diet

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't know enough about you or your situation to get all :byodame: YOU'RE WRONG :byodame:, but you can eat the whole egg if you want to. Whole eggs are more positively associated with weight loss than egg whites!

But if the local shop's Turkey 'n' Egg White Sammich is one of your favorites, then rock on and eat that sucker.

(also I hope you're not trying to lose weight via an extremely low calorie diet

Nope, just a normal low calorie diet. Thanks!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So what have you bought recently?
I don't have to buy eggs because I have chickens.
But I do buy bike stuff for my high end bike. Recently I had to buy another set of tubeless tires and a chain.
I got 2300 miles out of the previous tires and 3500 out of the chain.

No pics.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I like it better than an elliptical and it's a lot cheaper too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I said it before and I will say it again, congratulations on buying the most amazing torture device you will ever own.

Just for godsake, hands before the knees. HANDS BEFORE THE KNEES.

Also yeah that was a necessary edit. I don't know why my brain lowballed the average daily calorie intake for a North American person so hard.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tres Burritos posted:

I'm gonna get real mad every time this is brought up because I want one REAL bad but can't afford it.

Please tell me how it is exercise ambrosia.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TotalLossBrain posted:

So what have you bought recently?
I don't have to buy eggs because I have chickens.
But I do buy bike stuff for my high end bike. Recently I had to buy another set of tubeless tires and a chain.
I got 2300 miles out of the previous tires and 3500 out of the chain.

No pics.

How much was your 3500 mile bicycle chain replacement?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I bought a papa johns pizza. It was high in calories and an impulse purchase so there ya go.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PCOS Bill posted:

How much was your 3500 mile bicycle chain replacement?

I think about 24 bucks.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Tres Burritos posted:

Hey new erg buddy. Enjoy!

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I'm gonna get real mad every time this is brought up because I want one REAL bad but can't afford it.

Please tell me how it is exercise ambrosia.

I like it okay. I'm not an aficionado or anything but it seems to do what it says on the box. The biggest problem I have with it is that proper form seems to matter a ton, and it requires more concentration than other stuff where you just get on it and walk. Not that that's a huge problem or anything, but I can tell it'll take some time for the correct motion to become second nature.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

KingSlime posted:

I bought a papa johns pizza. It was high in calories and an impulse purchase so there ya go.

And some of that money is probably gonna work its way into Donald Trump's pocket, since Papa John is a scumbag.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
$4,000 and counting on MRIs, neurosurgeon consults, and physical therapy.

Never gently caress up your spine and pelvis or you'll be poor.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I bought a pork belly yesterday. Gonna make an oven roasted samgyeopsal recipe I love.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I got a Zojirushi Home Bakery to make some :krad: bread. I have run into a few issues and I think it's because I haven't refrigerated my yeast after opening it. That aside, homemade bread is tasty and cheap even with the nice flour and stuff.

I also picked up some Glenfiddich Cask Reserve and Johnnie Walker Spice Road at the YYZ duty free shop. Definitely a good choice.

Also pumpkin beers are starting to make the rounds, so I got Southern Tier Pumpking which is super good.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee And Pie posted:

And some of that money is probably gonna work its way into Donald Trump's pocket, since Papa John is a scumbag.

I just donated to Donald Trump because you're a liberal crybaby.

PCOS Bill has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Aug 17, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Trump's store portrays a donation as a sale?

Probably a tax scam.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Trump's store portrays a donation as a sale?

Probably a tax scam.

Nah, I bought a hat.

Which I will photograph with the TrumpAR when it arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tres Burritos posted:

I like it okay. I'm not an aficionado or anything but it seems to do what it says on the box. The biggest problem I have with it is that proper form seems to matter a ton, and it requires more concentration than other stuff where you just get on it and walk. Not that that's a huge problem or anything, but I can tell it'll take some time for the correct motion to become second nature.

How tall are you? I'm 6'4" and I'm told the Concept D is good for tall people.