Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Man imagine if Zelda breath of the wild on WiiU is the actual high end definitive version while the NX version is the downgrade hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Al-Saqr posted:

Man imagine if Zelda breath of the wild on WiiU is the actual high end definitive version while the NX version is the downgrade hahaha

Haha ya that would absolutely kill the NX in its tracks. It's one thing to be a slight upgrade graphically over the Wii U - it's another to release a console 4 years later that actually has worse graphics than the Wii U.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I think the x1 is more powerful than the wiiu though

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Real hurthling! posted:

I think the x1 is more powerful than the wiiu though

Hmm according to this video comparing the X1 to the PS4 you could be right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XzIZWO1qdg

Still doesn't look that great though & I keep thinking how bad that's gonna look in 5 years too.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I really hope it's X2 with one SKU with good hardware because it's the same age-old problem where if you have a Premium console, it will only have marginal benefits as very few and probably no dev are going to target the smaller audience exclusively. The New 3DS is probably the best implementation of this kind of thing yet, and it's really only because of the SNES emulation and the system level elements that don't have much to do with playing games (the face tracking for 3D that, while I almost never use, is good, but mostly how the wifi speed for downloading multi gig games isn't hot garbage.) There's only one big "AAA" game that requires the new 3DS and like, one noteworthy eshop game I think?

All of the New 3DS enhanced stuff is just like, shorter load times, not blocking the browser to avoid running out of RAM in Monster Hunter (which I don't really play but I see the appeal) and a few games where I don't need the awkward pro pad dingus and can use the awkward analog nub dingus. All the games still have to run on the regular 3DS which means it still has to fit on a slower CPU and, perhaps most significantly, with less RAM, meaning all I really get out of better core hardware is, well, a slightly higher framerate and lower loading times.

So yeah I'm praying for the X2 but also not getting my hopes up, because Nintendo

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

InFlames235 posted:

Hmm according to this video comparing the X1 to the PS4 you could be right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XzIZWO1qdg

Still doesn't look that great though & I keep thinking how bad that's gonna look in 5 years too.

I mean it doesn't look terrible and I don't know why all these comparison videos have washed out colors for the X1 (if the thing is bad at rendering colors that pop that IS a concern for Nintendo games :v:) and with no side-by-side I wouldn't exactly feel like my eyes are bleeding (and even then) but yeah. It's a bit worrisome what this would look like against even the xb1.5/ps4.5 never mind the 2 and 5 a few years from now when this thing will still probably be kicking.

If the NX is a good platform they might iterate on it more rapidly with 100% backwards compatibility but I worry it would just end up with it being kind of an awkward N3DS deal as aforementioned.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Here's an interesting Nintendo patent.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i hope the nx launches with a main series mario game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if it launches with x1 it will have x2 within 3 years if its successful. everybody gonna be riding the cell phone console model for a while. also on the portable screen you don't need 1080p resolution since its so close to your face so lower power is nbd. it can upscale in the dock and look plenty good on tv too most likely

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thexerox123 posted:

can't wait to own a bag of loose analog sticks

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Real hurthling! posted:

can't wait to own a bag of loose analog sticks

I already have this w/ the xbox one elite controller. It's not that bad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

no sarcasm

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The NX will launch with Metroid Maker so that no one can complain about a lack of metroid games ever again.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

InFlames235 posted:

Ya, I mean it's typical of Nintendo to go with the less power option but the reason I feel like it'll be the X2 is due to Breath of the Wild. They've said that Breath of the Wild will be the same experience on the NX & Wii U - graphically and all. I can't imagine the X1 could run Breath of the Wild to the same level as the Wii U but the X2 probably could pretty easily.

From every spec comparison I've seen the X1 very easily outperforms the WiiU.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i wonder if metroid or zelda maker will ever happen just based on the time commitment to make engaging levels for them. mario can be great in 30 second bursts. not sure about samus and link though which means a lot less community engagement from casual players and a lot less content to play.

the poo poo the crazy people would make would be worth it for me but nintendo might see it differently

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

From every spec comparison I've seen the X1 very easily outperforms the WiiU.

not to mention the x1 decoupled from android or whatever and running a built to purpose os and potentially overclocked would perform like an entirely different chip

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Even Mario Maker kind of fucks up the normal grammar of Mario games and while it's kind of half the fun, it would be dicey to do in an engaging way that is anything like Zelda games

That said, I would absolutely love it if they tried, though the end result would probably be some kind of weird top-down bullet hell with swords clusterfuck that is, well, nothing like Zelda games

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I personally am in the odd position that I don't care much about hardware (the Wii U has mediocre hardware and the games look beautiful to me) or price. I am by no means a wealthy man, but 200USD versus 300 doesn't matter to me for a system. If I like it, the price won't stop me. Based on all that I know about the NX at the moment, which is not much, I rather doubt that I will be an early adopter because the games that seem to be coming out on opening day aren't very exciting. I do want Breath of the Wild, but I can get that on my beloved Wii U. If they don't release a Mario platformer right away, I don't see much reason not to wait.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i'd love a zelda maker that just focused on designing dungeons.

even better if they could work an evil genius/dungeon keeper type campaign to it

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int

Boten Anna posted:

these comparison videos have washed out colors for the X1

i noticed that the video that was linked has this as the description:

Published on Feb 16, 2015
Unreal engine 4 Elemental.
Tegra X1 footage was taken by camera

so yeah, gonna look like rear end.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DF has an actually capture x1 comparison video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm16p4qYjF4

its much stronger than the xb360 but held back by andriod's lack of direct x in this particular port

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zelda maker already exists http://www.zeldaclassic.com/

also I thought the rumor was that it wasn't the X1 but either X2 or something custom from Nvidia

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

zelda maker already exists http://www.zeldaclassic.com/

also I thought the rumor was that it wasn't the X1 but either X2 or something custom from Nvidia

the rumor is that dev kits have the x1 but there is a slim chance that nvidia is willing to give nintendo access to x2 months ahead of its official launch window at or below cost because shield has been a failure and they miss the console market.

i don't really buy it. i would love to be surprised but it sounds like wishful thinking fans trying to bully stronger hardware.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

(*there have been two good Star Fox games, so Platinum was pretty much shooting for par there.)

You're forgetting that the best Star Fox game of all time was released this year.
It was titled Kirby: Planet Robobot.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm certainly not expecting Nintendo to go with the more advanced technology.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Nintendo always loved taking big steps forward with new ideas but only after shooting their own foot.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Once the NX releases Iwata's direct influence over Nintendo decisions will have ended :smith:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's almost certainly something custom just because Nintendo will need something tailored to their specific needs, and rarely use something off the shelf.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

I hope you can slide in Amiibos so I can control video games with my amiibos

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

I just want Nintendo to loving announce the thing already. So much speculation and not even an announcement of an announcement yet

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

InFlames235 posted:

I just want Nintendo to loving announce the thing already. So much speculation and not even an announcement of an announcement yet

probably 3rd week of september after tgs

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

InFlames235 posted:

Don't blame Nintendo for rampant speculation, and reporters doing their job and posting what they are hearing from sources.

There could very well be a reason Nintendo hasn't announced yet. It could be related to the fact that their hardware provider hasn't announced what they are doing a patent hasn't cleared yet, or any number of things.

Also as the WiiU showed, the big official roll out of the console is so goddamn important to setting the narrative of the device. Better to have all your ducks in a row.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they can't really afford an announcement like the wii u where even the day it was announced people were like "is that a new console or a tablet controller?????"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nintendo, at the beginning of 2016.

"Okay so we've all agreed the new name is going to be the Neo Scorpio, right? No way in hell we need to change anything."

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phantasium posted:

"Okay so we've all agreed the new name is going to be the Neo Scorpio, right? No way in hell we need to change anything."

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Phantasium posted:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Give all these distributed computing patents and talks about unifying the brand I suspect the final name will be -
The Nintendo Collective

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sega will buy nintendo and name it the nintendo nt

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

sega will buy nintendo and name it the nintendo nt

nintendo 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

They keep sending Reggie footage to sign off on for the direct that says New Nintendo Wii U, hence the delay

• Locked thread