Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KoB posted:

Emoji are actual pictures. They got big in Japan and we just took their word. "moji" are the japanese characters/symbols.

Yeah, it's a convenient coincidence how "Emoji" sounds similar to "emoticon/emotion," so it works well in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thin Privilege posted:

Last thanksgiving she blasted this so loud I typed the words I could hear on Google and found out the song was
For a while, there were some people in the building across from mine who would play very loud music, very briefly at apparently random times. Like, 6pm, a single song, played loud enough to drown out the music I was playing in my own flat. 4am, 20 minutes of music loud enough to wake me up. midday, two and half songs. I also one time had the experience of hearing them playing something and Googling the lyrics to find out what it was.

KoB posted:

Emoticons are ASCII

Emoji are actual pictures.
Back in the day, ASCII ones were "smileys" (smiley faces) or and the pictures were emoticons (emote icons). :corsair:

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

The Snoo posted:

:smith: :hf: :smith:

It's gotten better here with the loud music man, at least. He keeps having parties and barbecuing right under our balcony (a violation of the fire code AND the lease!) and makes our apartment smell like lighter fluid. Also they had a small but open fire in a can.

After living with my terrifying mom for so long, I tip toe around everywhere when I'm not in shoes and I'd like to think I don't make that much noise... the children next door love to slam themselves around, and the people upstairs don't seem to know how to walk without stomping. I know the floorboards here are trash but I'm pretty sure there's a difference between the creaking and actual stomping.

I live in a townhouse because I don't think I could stand living underneath someone, and I would be super paranoid about bothering anyone living under me. I would hate to have a neighbor as shy as me who never let me know I was being annoying!

Thin Privilege posted:

My mom lives in a townhouse. Her new neighbors installed a basketball thingy inside the house ! You have a perfectly good porch which is bigger than the inside of your house! All day it's BANG BANG BANG. We even were friendly and gave them a booklet from *city* free sports teams/events where your kids could play basketball all day! Your kids would be so happy to play with other kids than banging on their townhouse wall! But noooooo lets force these poor kids to play basketball in a 10x10 kitchen instead of an athletically-sized gym.

This actually made my heart sink into my stomach. I hate personal basketball so much. Every neighborhood (except my boyfriend's thank god) has at least one ugly basketball stand in the street. If you're lucky, no one uses it. If they do, say good bye to peaceful weekends or relaxing after work. In the bf's neighborhood, the lone teenager there has to walk to a court, and there's no easy path there so I get to hear him dribble the ball in front of the house, down the street, then around the corner, and finally down the street past the back of the house. It only takes ten minutes but if I'm in the middle of concentrating or trying to take a nap I just want to pull my hair out.

I can't imagine a hoop inside a house. Holy poo poo.

Are these kind of people just completely immune to noise? What is wrong with noisy people?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Bast Relief posted:

Are these kind of people just completely immune to noise? What is wrong with noisy people?

It's called sensory overload. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_overload You're getting too stimulated and your brain says 'get hosed everything!' apparently.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Or maybe people were, like, raised in different environments from yours, and developed different preferences and expectations...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate noise. thank god for the suburbs.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
This but gently caress the random fireworks every now and then. Cannot get my dogs settled after that.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Mu Zeta posted:

I hate noise. thank god for the suburbs.

My moms townhouse is in the 'burbs. It's built above/next to a big road (complicated suburban setup), in any case there's fancy rich homes about 300 feet across it. Some jerkoffs bought a 900 inch tv so big I could see what they were watching and one night had such a loud party at 1am I actually called the cops, only because me, being 300 feet away could hear it I can't imagine what their poor neighbors were dealing with. Plus suburbs have patios and back yards so lots of parties in general. Dumb loud idiots are everywhere.

walrusman posted:

Or maybe people were, like, raised in different environments from yours, and developed different preferences and expectations...

I don't think "play basketball idoors in a 10x10x8 kitchen" qualifies as normal in any respect.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I hate the modern evolution of language. I know I am a loving curmudgeon but it annoys the hell out of me. Some of it grows out of innovative communication, new designs in technology or social connectivity or art, but MOST of it just evolves out of mistakes, poor education, disregard for grammar, memes and awful Internet trends.

Recently someone on Facebook called me a "troll" because in a comment (of which this jerk posted a content-void picture of the characters Vin Disel and the angry Mexican lesbian actress whose name I can't remember and said he thought this was the perfect relationship) mentioned that it was ironic because both actors are gay. This caused some weird explosion of misdirected anger and bigotry; some people were calling me a homophobe for suggesting they were gay, and others were being homophobic by saying that these actors ain't no queers, and then there was a lot of in-fighting and oh I don't loving know. I thought they were gay? Maybe they're not. It doesn't make a difference to me, I just thought it was ironic. So anyway, one guy says that all this fighting between the main guy's friends was caused by me (which, by the way, I didn't respond to anything but that one comment) and that they were "feeding the troll" by fighting.

So now I'm annoyed because, they're calling me a troll. Why the gently caress is that? What is a troll? Some big green thing that lives under a bridge? Is a troll homophobic? Does a troll feed off negativity? No; this is an annoying evolution of "trolling," which is like, a fishing method in which you bait the fish and lure it in to you. When you're "trolling" someone on the Internet, you're baiting them into some kind of snafu, like an argument or whatever. You are NOT A TROLL when you do this. You might be, say, a "troller," since you are committing the act of trolling, but just because you employ a method of baiting not dissimilar to that of a fisherman it doesn't turn you into a god drat motherfucking boogeyman god loving drat it.

And I wasn't trolling, anyway.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Wait, what, Vin Diesel is gay? :confused:

e: he's been married for almost a decade where did you possibly hear that he was gay

also for being such a word sperg i'm surprised you don't seem to know what ironic means

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 07:42 on Aug 17, 2016

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Murphy Brownback posted:

e: also for being such a word sperg i'm surprised you don't seem to know what ironic means

As far as I am aware he is not and I thought the Michelle Rodriguez was Bi.

Also if he never fessed up that he didn't want to post wrong info it does look like he was trolling.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Back when aim/texting came out I HATED people who used abbreviations like "u r ___" Now I do it all the time myself. I also hate(ed) the modern evolution of language but o well

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I do sort of enjoy intersectional squabbling, where there are two ways someone may have been wronged and everyone breaks down arguing over who Did The Most Wrong, or whatever. It's like the thing about the Rock character in the upcoming Pixar movie, where someone was upset that he looked "fat" because that apparently carries on a stereotype of Pacific Islanders being obese, and then a bunch of people got mad back because even if he did look fat, then that's good for body positivity, or whatever. Everyone's the victim and nobody's right and everyone's wrong and it's your fault and internet discourse is one meringue topping away from being a slapstick pie fight.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

people who get mad at video games. it's like, chill dude, literally nothing you do in this game matters, there's no reason to scream at everyone.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Murphy Brownback posted:

e: he's been married for almost a decade where did you possibly hear that he was gay

also for being such a word sperg i'm surprised you don't seem to know what ironic means

It was ironic because his idea of the perfect couple are these people in the movie but in reality they're gay so they wouldn't be together.

And, okay, well, maybe I'm wrong? I thought they were both gay. Admittedly I never actually looked up to verify it, I just had always thought they were :confused:

Edit: Anyway, my rant was about the noun "troll" not having anything to do with the verb "to troll." I admit I am lazy when it comes to verifying the things I'm bitching about.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

people who get mad at video games. it's like, chill dude, literally nothing you do in this game matters, there's no reason to scream at everyone.

Just because you keep calm when your receivers drop wide open passes in NCAA Football 2004 doesn't mean you can tell me what to do!

I swear video games are the only thing that get me to raise my voice on a consistent basis. Don't know what it is about them.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Thin Privilege posted:

Back when aim/texting came out I HATED people who used abbreviations like "u r ___" Now I do it all the time myself. I also hate(ed) the modern evolution of language but o well

I still hate text/IM shorthand mainly because it happens on phones that have autocorrect or ability to use speech-to-text (Siri, Cortana, etc.) so there's no excuse for it, other than laziness. Ranks up there with bullshit words like "bae" or calling your pets "furbabies" because people are apparently 8 years old trapped in adult bodies who never made it past 5th grade.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
One of my friends has recently made a new pal, and keeps inviting her to our get-togethers. This is normal. The problem is, this woman is so loving obnoxious I can't even handle it. She always makes stupid, tired, lame jokes (often rehashing something someone else already said) well after the conversation has moved on to another topic. Then, because nobody laughed at it, she sits there and whines "nobody heard my joke... hey, nobody heard my joke!" until we stop talking, let her say it again and fake a laugh so she'll loving drop it. If we don't, she'll sulk and bitch about it the rest of the night.

How do people get like this? She's almost 30 and I'm pretty sure she has a toddler at home, but she acts like a loving 8-year-old who's desperate for validation. Every time she pulls this poo poo, it completely ruins the flow of conversation.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Henchman of Santa posted:

I swear video games are the only thing that get me to raise my voice on a consistent basis. Don't know what it is about them.

At least you never threw your controller into the tv and smashed it. Poor tv.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Digirat posted:

STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP

*throws furniture against wall*
*slams door*

STOMP STOMP

*shitmutt starts barking its head off*

STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP

-my new upstairs neighbor, at all loving hours of the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IRB0sxw-YU

KoB
May 1, 2009

credburn posted:

I hate the modern evolution of language. I know I am a loving curmudgeon but it annoys the hell out of me. Some of it grows out of innovative communication, new designs in technology or social connectivity or art, but MOST of it just evolves out of mistakes, poor education, disregard for grammar, memes and awful Internet trends.

Recently someone on Facebook called me a "troll" because in a comment (of which this jerk posted a content-void picture of the characters Vin Disel and the angry Mexican lesbian actress whose name I can't remember and said he thought this was the perfect relationship) mentioned that it was ironic because both actors are gay. This caused some weird explosion of misdirected anger and bigotry; some people were calling me a homophobe for suggesting they were gay, and others were being homophobic by saying that these actors ain't no queers, and then there was a lot of in-fighting and oh I don't loving know. I thought they were gay? Maybe they're not. It doesn't make a difference to me, I just thought it was ironic. So anyway, one guy says that all this fighting between the main guy's friends was caused by me (which, by the way, I didn't respond to anything but that one comment) and that they were "feeding the troll" by fighting.

So now I'm annoyed because, they're calling me a troll. Why the gently caress is that? What is a troll? Some big green thing that lives under a bridge? Is a troll homophobic? Does a troll feed off negativity? No; this is an annoying evolution of "trolling," which is like, a fishing method in which you bait the fish and lure it in to you. When you're "trolling" someone on the Internet, you're baiting them into some kind of snafu, like an argument or whatever. You are NOT A TROLL when you do this. You might be, say, a "troller," since you are committing the act of trolling, but just because you employ a method of baiting not dissimilar to that of a fisherman it doesn't turn you into a god drat motherfucking boogeyman god loving drat it.

You troll for fish, laying out a lure and hoping for a bite. Thats why dumb internet pranks are called trolling. Like, my mom going on 70 understood what my brother and I meant because thats how she used it.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

credburn posted:

:psyduck:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

KoB posted:

You troll for fish, laying out a lure and hoping for a bite. Thats why dumb internet pranks are called trolling. Like, my mom going on 70 understood what my brother and I meant because thats how she used it.

Right. But that doesn't make you a troll.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

credburn posted:

Right. But that doesn't make you a troll.

I think you are being a troll right now with you trolling this thread.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I still hate text/IM shorthand mainly because it happens on phones that have autocorrect or ability to use speech-to-text (Siri, Cortana, etc.) so there's no excuse for it, other than laziness. Ranks up there with bullshit words like "bae" or calling your pets "furbabies" because people are apparently 8 years old trapped in adult bodies who never made it past 5th grade.

I would say the "furbabies" thing is a totally different issue, because it's not just another word for the same thing, it implies that you have this really weird view of what a pet is. Same with people who refer to themselves as the mother or father of their pet.

It's a dog. It's not your baby. It's an adult dog. You are not its parent. It's a dog. You are its owner.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

People that are obviously sick who refuse to go to the doctor.

"That cough is getting pretty nasty, maybe you should see the doctor."
"Oh *cough* I think *cough* it's *COUGH* getting *COUGH COUGH COUGH* better though. *cough"
*repeat conversation for the next week until they finally go to the doctor and are diagnosed with bronchitis*
"Huh, guess I was sick after all!"

Also people that speed up to try and cut you off when you're trying to pass, as if being passed is an affront to their special snowflake millenial pride. :fuckoff:

And lastly, maybe more of a FWP than a peeve, but my stupid cat has found a way to get at the rash the cone of shame is supposed to be keeping her from getting at until it's healed. You're just prolonging the torture, cat! :argh: Can't really get a bigger cone cause then she wouldn't be able to eat.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

bradzilla posted:

Also people that speed up to try and cut you off when you're trying to pass, as if being passed is an affront to their special snowflake millenial pride. :fuckoff:

I find it's SUV drivers in any demographic that do this.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

bradzilla posted:

Unless you work with them or are otherwise forced to be in their presence I'd support the "mind your own business" side of things. I hate being pushed to go to a doctor when I know I only have a cold or the flu just to get antibiotics or whatever I don't need. Obviously you shouldn't go to work with something contagious (unless you are forced to to keep your job, in which case the blame lies on your employer for a lovely policy) - for me it's mostly friends and family who do this, like if they ask how you are and you say you have the flu they flip out as if you just said you got diagnosed with cancer. My policy is avoid the doctor until you really need one, unless it's free and you have nothing better to do with your day.

Also I'll speed up to prevent someone from passing me if they're trying to pass on my right when I'm not in the fast lane. I know it's dangerous but so is passing on the right, so gently caress them.

Coincidentally, Intoluene I do drive an SUV.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

bradzilla posted:

My pet peeve is the state of American health insurance, and the fact that not all employers offer paid sick leave. :argh:

To contribute further, people who unironically use the term "sport ball". You're not clever, you're loving childish.

edit:

quote:

People who blame literally every conceivable thing on millennials.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

To contribute further, people who unironically use the term "sport ball". You're not clever, you're loving childish.

See also: "hand egg"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

thank you. This is what my life has become. Except there's also a dog who's in on it.

Being a light sleeper loving sucks.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

See also: "hand egg"

XKCD has a lot to answer for.

A LOT.

(And I loving hate American football.)

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

To be clear I was specifically referring to my wife, and we both have health insurance. We're moving in 11 days, I don't need to get sick right before that!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sick people:. My manager at my last work started hacking up her lungs, and continued working open-close doubles. Three weeks later, she was still coughing, her eyes looked deep and black, her hair and skin looked washed out. This is around the time I left for another job, since she just wasn't hiring any relief staff and nobody could take it anymore.

Two weeks later, I went in to grab my last check, and hear her in the backroom, still hacking and snorting while doing food prep. All the customers waiting looked grossed out.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

bradzilla posted:

I am one of those people who turns on the signal and changes lanes without a pause in between, and this is why.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Those classic pet peeves: someone not replacing toilet paper, leaving milk out of the fridge, the health care system of the world's largest economy. Just little things really.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
When someone says "vice-a-versa" as opposed to vice versa.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Tiggum posted:

I would say the "furbabies" thing is a totally different issue, because it's not just another word for the same thing, it implies that you have this really weird view of what a pet is. Same with people who refer to themselves as the mother or father of their pet.

It's a dog. It's not your baby. It's an adult dog. You are not its parent. It's a dog. You are its owner.

My mom is a wonderful person, and it's from her that I got my love for animals in the first place, so I feel kinda bad saying this, but it bugs me that she does this. She also calls her cats "kitkins" which bugs me to no end. She's insisted that I am a "mom" to my cat, despite the fact that I specifically have a cat and not a kid, and I've told her repeatedly that I'm not a mom and don't want to be. Yes, she's family, yes, she's my friend and companion and yes, I've had her for a very long time and will have her until she's gone. But she's my companion, not my kid. If I wanted a kid, I would have one. But I don't. I want a cat. I have a cat.

I think she's just disappointed that I never had kids and thinks "well, at least she has somebody" and is transferring that label onto my cat.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Leavemywife posted:

When someone says "vice-a-versa" as opposed to vice versa.

They're just saying it in an authentic italian accent, pizano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

DavidAlltheTime posted:

They're just saying it in an authentic italian accent, pizano.

It's Latin!!!