Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

gay picnic defence posted:

There was an article published a while back (around the time Thatcher died I think) that pointed out that if you compared the increases in GDP of the UK and a bunch of scandinavian countries from the time Thatcher introduced neoliberalism to the UK you ended up with fairly similar numbers. The UK GDP increased faster but fell a lot more in the crashes while the scandinavian countries were steadier.

I haven't seen the actual figures myself though so I can't confirm if that is actually true

Yeah, from what I've seen any beneficial side effects to GDP seem to be more coincidental than causal.

Surely there's an argument in favour though with some sort of empirical substantiation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Oh lordy just listening to ABC AM radio this morning and Dutton was on, defending his treatment of refugees, complaining that it is Labor's fault for Nauru (fair enough) but it's the ABC and Guardian's fault for releasing all the Nauru papers and academics are at fault for telling refugees to stay at the camp, rather than go into Paupa New Guinea society or back to where they come from.

The sad thing is, he really believes this :( He kept on blaming the ABC and Guardian throughout the interview

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If only people didn't report about the people we torture we retroactively would never have tortured them

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
let the refugees out of detention on Manus and put First Dog there

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

If only people didn't report about the people we torture we retroactively would never have tortured them

No, you see Dutton told the interviewer that he has taken every allegation of sexual abuse of refugees at every camp seriously and has investigated them all through his career as immigration minister.

And promptly ignored them

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

here's what we know about the manus closure:
they won't be settled in Australia
they won't all be settled in PNG
:waycool:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

here's what we know about the manus closure:
they won't be settled in Australia
they won't all be settled in PNG
:waycool:
They must be headed to Nauru or Christmas island then.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Energy companies withholding supply to blame for July price spike, report finds

Fossil fuel electricity generators in South Australia withheld their supply to push up prices and reap bigger profits, according to an analysis of the causes behind the extremely high prices there in early July.

The findings suggested some solutions proposed ahead of this week’s Coag energy council meeting for the so-called “energy crisis” like increasing the supply of gas in Australia won’t help the situation at all.

The three things often pointed to as possible causes of the price spikes, especially on 7 July, have been the closure of the Northern power station, the main Victoria-SA interconnector being down and wind farms not producing much power.

But in a report commissioned by GetUp, energy analyst Bruce Mountain showed the generation capacity that was available in the market still far exceeded the demand. However, besides those owned by Origin, all other fossil fuel generators continued to operate far below their capacity, only offering electricity to the market for a very high cost.

more:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/17/energy-companies-withholding-supply-to-blame-for-july-price-spike-report-finds

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just heard about this on the radio:

Manus Island: Children in detention 'unacceptable', WA Premier Colin Barnett says

West Australian Premier Colin Barnett says his Government would be prepared to accommodate asylum seekers from Nauru, ahead of the closure of the Manus Island Detention Centre in Papua New Guinea.

The state Liberal leader has weighed in over the fate of asylum seekers on Nauru, amid renewed concerns about conditions on the island.

The Federal Government has repeatedly ruled out resettling refugees from offshore processing centres.

But Mr Barnett said if the Commonwealth changed its mind, his state would be prepared to accept asylum seeker families.

"The answer to your question is that particularly for families, as long as they don't present a security or safety risk, I do welcome them being in Australia," Mr Barnett told the ABC's Lateline program.

"The one thing I find unacceptable is children in detention."

Mr Barnett stopped short of demanding the Federal Government reconsider its position.

"I wouldn't call on the Federal Government but if they decide to do that we would certainly accommodate a number of them [asylum seekers] in Western Australia and we'd certainly support them as a state government."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-18/wa-govt-opens-door-to-nauru-refugees-ahead-of-manus-closure/7760854

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Fossil fuel electricity generators in South Australia withheld their supply to push up prices and reap bigger profits, according to an analysis of the causes behind the extremely high prices there in early July.

The findings suggested some solutions proposed ahead of this week’s Coag energy council meeting for the so-called “energy crisis” like increasing the supply of gas in Australia won’t help the situation at all.

The three things often pointed to as possible causes of the price spikes, especially on 7 July, have been the closure of the Northern power station, the main Victoria-SA interconnector being down and wind farms not producing much power.

But in a report commissioned by GetUp, energy analyst Bruce Mountain showed the generation capacity that was available in the market still far exceeded the demand. However, besides those owned by Origin, all other fossil fuel generators continued to operate far below their capacity, only offering electricity to the market for a very high cost.

more:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/17/energy-companies-withholding-supply-to-blame-for-july-price-spike-report-finds

lol at anyone who supports privatised power generation

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
lol

quote:

Foreign buyers pay less than $700,000 in fines to the ATO despite illegal buyer crackdown

In the first seven months after tougher penalties for illegal foreign property investors were introduced the Tax Office collected less in fines than the cost of an average Sydney house.

In response to a 2014 House of Representatives inquiry that revealed there had been no prosecutions for a breach of the rules since 2006 and that penalties were manifestly inadequate, the Abbott government responded with beefed up penalties and by moving enforcement to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

When the tougher penalties were announced on May 2, 2015, then treasurer Joe Hockey warned:

"We will find those people that have engaged in unlawful acquisition of Australian real estate and we will prosecute you and we will be very hard about it."

However, since the ATO took over the approvals, enforcement and penalties process on December 1 last year, the penalties seem anything but "very hard".

In response to a Freedom of Information (FOI) request from the ABC, the ATO said it had identified more than 270 breaches of the foreign investment rules and issued 150 penalty notices by the end of the financial year on June 30.

Those penalties totalled $695,980, or an average of $4,640 each.

That is a far cry from the much touted maximum penalties of $127,500 for individuals, $637,500 for companies and up to three years in jail introduced by the Abbott government.

The total amount of penalties issued in the first seven months of ATO enforcement is worth less than the typical Sydney home price of $775,000.
Forced sale of 30 properties worth $78m

The ATO said the penalties were issued to people who failed to seek the required foreign investment approval before purchase or who breached a condition of their investment approval, such as temporary residents failing to sell when they leave the country.

In addition to the penalties, Treasurer Scott Morrison has approved the forced sale of 30 foreign-owned properties valued at $78 million.

While the Government does not receive all of those proceeds, illegal foreign owners are not permitted to profit from the sale.

However, the ATO said only 21 per cent of breaches have resulted in a forced sale or voluntary divestment, while 23 per cent received amendments to a previous investment approval and 56 per cent have been granted retrospective approval for their purchase.
Amnesty nets $438.5m worth of property disclosures

The Federal Government's amnesty period before the tougher penalties for illegal buyers of residential property were introduced netted $438.5 million worth of disclosures.

Data provided by the ATO shows 302 people came forward to the ATO during its reduced penalty period between May 2 and November 30, 2015.

Victoria accounted for well over half the amnesty period applications, with New South Wales having the biggest proportion of the remainder.
Embed: Distribution of self-disclosed breaches

The ATO said more than half of the investors who dobbed themselves in have been granted retrospective approvals because they would have been approved had they applied to the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) before purchasing.

Those cases which were not eligible for retrospective approval have resulted in "concessional divestment", self-divestment or a variation to a prior FIRB approval, such as an extension of time to develop vacant land.
Nearly 50 ATO staff enforce foreign buyer rules

The ABC also asked for information about staffing levels within the unit charged with enforcing the rules.

Since assuming control of regulating foreign investment in residential property, the ATO has maintained a staff of just under 50.
Embed: ATO foreign investment team headcount

The ATO said this unit also receives support and resources from the rest of the organisation.

"The team is supported by the ATO's data analytics branch, legal counsel and works closely with the ATO's high wealth individuals and international audit areas," it told the ABC.

"Potential breaches are examined for tax compliance, immigration and law enforcement issues.

"This approach helps to guard against Australian property being used in connection with serious and organised crime, including the laundering of money through property in Australia."

It is a massive increase on the resources the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) had available when it was tasked with the same responsibilities.

FIRB told the Parliamentary inquiry into foreign investment in residential real estate that it had just eight staff to review applications, monitor compliance and try to detect and prosecute breaches.

Aside from performing all the tasks that FIRB used to do, the ATO said its has presented to over 2,000 people at community engagement events, run stalls at business exhibitions and advertised the changes to penalties on two real estate websites targeting Chinese buyers that have a combined monthly audience of around 2 million.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-18/tax-office-foreign-real-estate-buyer-enforcement/7751596

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol at anyone who supports privatised power generation

I blame Paul Keating.

We love his speeches, but he brought neoliberal economics into the ALP where it has festered ever since.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Endman posted:

I blame Paul Keating.

We love his speeches, but he brought neoliberal economics into the ALP where it has festered ever since.

I blame Paul Keating for a lot of things.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

paul keatings a fuckboi with lovely policies on just about everything who is idolised by idiots because he pulls out sick burns on people they don't like

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Just heard about this on the radio:

Manus Island: Children in detention 'unacceptable', WA Premier Colin Barnett says

West Australian Premier Colin Barnett says his Government would be prepared to accommodate asylum seekers from Nauru, ahead of the closure of the Manus Island Detention Centre in Papua New Guinea.

The state Liberal leader has weighed in over the fate of asylum seekers on Nauru, amid renewed concerns about conditions on the island.

The Federal Government has repeatedly ruled out resettling refugees from offshore processing centres.

But Mr Barnett said if the Commonwealth changed its mind, his state would be prepared to accept asylum seeker families.

"The answer to your question is that particularly for families, as long as they don't present a security or safety risk, I do welcome them being in Australia," Mr Barnett told the ABC's Lateline program.

"The one thing I find unacceptable is children in detention."

Mr Barnett stopped short of demanding the Federal Government reconsider its position.

"I wouldn't call on the Federal Government but if they decide to do that we would certainly accommodate a number of them [asylum seekers] in Western Australia and we'd certainly support them as a state government."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-18/wa-govt-opens-door-to-nauru-refugees-ahead-of-manus-closure/7760854

Wow, Barnett in non-lovely policy shock

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

QUACKTASTIC posted:

more:

I told you so!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I can't find an online article about it but reading the Advertiser at work this morning it's amazing how bare faced they can be. In regards to SA's power crisis of late, nowhere do they mention that soaring power prices have to do with deregulation and privatisation.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Wow, Barnett in non-lovely policy shock

I really didn't expect to see this.

Then again, it's probably a barely concealed plan to pretend they care, just so that it can be denied on Federal grounds.

We'll see :(

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

paul keatings a fuckboi with lovely policies on just about everything who is idolised by idiots because he pulls out sick burns on people they don't like

:agreed:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

has anyone suggested full communism now yet?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

has anyone suggested full communism now yet?
When did we take Anarchy off the table? Bachunin for the win! :anarchists:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
If Manus Island gets closed down I'm assuming all the prisoners will either be dumped on PNG or shuttled off to Christmas Island where there are no pesky foreign governments to decide indefinite detention in torturous conditions is illegal.

Honestly the weirdest part of this is that I'm pretty sure New Zealand is still willing to take people, but we apparently want the refugees to suffer so much that having them taken off our hands is unacceptable compared to continuing to spend billions on making their lives miserable.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Ten Becquerels posted:

If Manus Island gets closed down I'm assuming all the prisoners will either be dumped on PNG or shuttled off to Christmas Island where there are no pesky foreign governments to decide indefinite detention in torturous conditions is illegal.

Honestly the weirdest part of this is that I'm pretty sure New Zealand is still willing to take people, but we apparently want the refugees to suffer so much that having them taken off our hands is unacceptable compared to continuing to spend billions on making their lives miserable.

Christmas Island and NZ are no goes because PULL FACTORS

as far as I can tell there is only one option the Aus, PNG and Nauru governments are willing to accept, which is a developing country suddenly puts its hand up to accept all manus's refugees unilaterally, which is, how you say, lol.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

it's for their own good see otherwise they'd be drowning themselves willy nilly

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Conspiracy idea: the pacific solution was implemented on behalf of Big Alcohol to increase their market share of Australians with a conscience (a niche market to be sure)

The Amen Break
Jan 14, 2010
Any chance someone with a Crikey subscription could post this article: https://www.crikey.com.au/2016/08/17/brian-coxs-mistake-in-trying-to-debate-malcolm-roberts/

Can't quite justify the monthly fee...

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ten Becquerels posted:

The refugees will never be set free because then they could tell their story and make us "look like" monsters.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

Minister for Environment and Heritage Protection and Minister for National Parks and the Great Barrier Reef
The Honourable Steven Miles
Thursday, August 18, 2016
Rare bird blocks bizarre death row dingoes plan

Environment Minister Dr Steven Miles has stopped a controversial plan to deploy wild dogs to kill goats on a North Queensland island to protect the threatened Beach stone-curlew.

Dr Miles today made an Interim Conservation Order under the Nature Conservation Act 1992 requiring Hinchinbrook Shire Council to immediately cease the use of dingoes to eradicate feral goats on Pelorus Island.

“I was shocked to learn of this cruel experiment but even more alarming is the lack of thought for the native animals on the island.

“Pest control should always be carried out in the most humane way possible – not by death row dingoes.

“As of today no dogs can be released on to Pelorus Island and any wild dogs already on the island must be removed within the next 14 days,” Dr Miles said.

“I do not take this action lightly but on the advice of experts from the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection it’s clear that this misconceived program needs to stop before irrevocable harm is done to the island’s population of Beach stone-curlews.

“While the control of feral goats and other pests is a responsibility of all landholders, the methods employed should not pose a risk to threatened native wildlife species.”

Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries Leanne Donaldson said the program was ‘inhumane’.

“I fully support the action Minister Miles is taking today,” Ms Donaldson said.

“It was very frustrating for me to learn that under current legislation I had no power to intervene.

“As soon as I heard the detail of the council’s plan I sought urgent advice on whether I could step in on the grounds that it is a cruel and inhumane solution.

“At the inaugural meeting of the Animal Welfare Advisory Board I asked members to consider whether such practices are in line with current community expectations on animal welfare.

“There has to be a more humane way to deal with a feral pest problem.”

RSPCA Queensland CEO Mark Townend said the RSPCA also supported the decision.

“We at the RSPCA had a number of concerns regarding the decision to put dingoes on the island in the first place,” Mr Townend said.

“We felt there were significant animal welfare issues not just for the goats but for smaller, native animals on the island and the dingoes themselves.”

Dr Miles said there were estimated to be only around 5000 Beach stone-curlews left across Australia.

“The Beach stone-curlew is listed as Vulnerable in Queensland, Critically Endangered in New South Wales and Near Threatened on the global IUCN Red List of Threatened Species,” Dr Miles said.

“It is believed to be in decline across most of its range due to human disturbance and predation by cats, pigs and dogs.

“I will not stand by while one of the main predators of this vulnerable bird is deliberately released into its habitat.”

Interim Conservation Orders are designed for use where there is a likelihood of a significant detrimental impact on threatened wildlife.

Earlier this year Dr Miles took similar action when an Interim Conservation Order was issued in relation to the recently rediscovered night parrot.
The messaging in this seems a bit confused.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ahahaha

quote:

The four wild dogs, two of which have already been released on Pelorus Island, will not have a chance to become pests themselves, as they have been implanted with a time-activated poison, Hinchinbrook Shire Council said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-23/dingoes-set-to-become-pelorus-island-environmental-saviour/7652424

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Solemn Sloth posted:

I don't even think his burns were that sick.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't even think his burns were that sick.

this is the worst part, they're just good by the tepid standards of australian parliament

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Asylum seekers: Nauru's top court may be forced to decide whether detention is lawful

Nauru's highest court could be forced to decide whether the indefinite detention of asylum seekers breaches the island nation's constitution after legal action was launched in Australia's High Court.

Lawyers representing a Pakistani asylum seeker, who is still on Nauru, say his detention there has denied him "the most basic human right" and resulted in an unfair hearing on his refugee status.

If the action succeeds, Nauru's Supreme Court would be forced to abandon its refusal to hear his constitutional challenge and decide if more than 450 asylum seekers can remain in the Nauru centre.

The case could also pave the way for hundreds of refugees now living outside the centre to claim compensation from the Australian government for false imprisonment.

Interesting but uh, Nauru's courts are pretty much at the call of their government isnt it?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Suicide Squad has taught us nothing about the true nature of evil

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 18, 2016

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 18, 2016

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

That is some Snake Plissken level poo poo right there

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Xerxes17 posted:

Please see:

If Poland, the Baltic, Romania etc are all going "please help us out NATO" in regards to Russia. I don't see it as expanding NATO influence to encircle Russia but rather people seeking protection from something that's harmed them in the past. This is fair and reasonable.

Vietnam, Korea, Philippines, etc are all asking for backing against Chinese expansion I'm guessing it's not because Uncle Sam is keeping poor 'ol plucky China down. It's because China is an rear end in a top hat and is starting poo poo with all it's neighbors. For gently caress sake, if Vietnam, who the USA waged chemical and conventional warfare on for decades is now is happy to let bygones be bygones in return for backing against China, that says it all really. The people/governments of these two regions are against the idea of being consigned to their respective regional power's "sphere of influence". I am in no way willing to let Russian/Chinese empires expand because that just means I am consigning millions of people to live under lovely hegemonies that I would never want to have over myself, as BBjoey says, for the videogame model of geopolitics.

I think the first world war was loving stupid because it was a bunch of European Empires jockeying for advantage that we had no skin in. But this is not 100 years ago. I agree, there are a lot of steps that should be tried before war and I am not in any way arguing for a War. However we cannot throw our regional neighbors under the bus and that means we have to put some money where our mouths are. I also don't think China's belligerence is going to be countered with words and treaties as if they were going to, they already would have. The current driving force behind the CCP right now is revaunchist ethno-nationalism with their "century of humiliation" narrative. Christ, just look at the way they flipped the gently caress out about Horton's drug cheating comment, or how they rejected the south China Sea international court ruling before it was even released.

Quite unfortunately, the way I see things going is that the major thing that deters the CCP is military force. They leave Japan alone because it actually has a credible deterrent. The Philippines has jack poo poo and as a result is getting pushed around.

I mean, this 9-dash line is totally the idea of a reasonable and diplomatic government that is interested in fairness and international law.

Lol you think it's the people, and not the parasites of those countries, who want protection against Russia. Do you believe the president of the ukraine isn't a complete fascist fuckwit, too?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Lol you think it's the people, and not the parasites of those countries, who want protection against Russia. Do you believe the president of the ukraine isn't a complete fascist fuckwit, too?

Mate, I'm in Russia right now and the people of Russia want protection from the Russian government. Let alone the people from other countries.

Do you follow RT by any chance?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

People who don't listen to Late Night Live on Mondays will not have heard two very interesting tidbits via Laura Tingle:

* They are trying to get out of Nauru. They just haven't figured out a) how to get out b) how to make it look like everything's ok or at least not Dutton's fault, but he keeps saying everything is fine.

* There are apparently good numbers to get a private bill across the floor in both houses for an RC into banks. Nats in the Reps are said to be dead keen on flexing their new muscles. This would be a remarkable result.

With reference to the first point, please read this great blog post from Andrew Elder. He too thinks the end is in sight for Nauru and lays out the various reasons why this is going to be the same kind of botch revisionism we've come to know and love from our racists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Xerxes17 posted:

Mate, I'm in Russia right now and the people of Russia want protection from the Russian government. Let alone the people from other countries.

Do you follow RT by any chance?

The people of america also want protection from the american government. I don't know if you've heard of a little thing called blm.

Incidentally, are you that insufferable hipster beer/burger/beard guy and if so, why am I bothering to talk to you as though you were a serious intellect amd not just instantly dismissing your worthless opinions?

• Locked thread