Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Does that say "internet web memes?"

Of course! Internet web memes are a new trend among the youths on the Information Superhighway! After the success of "Hash-Tag Feel the Johnson" in his primary bid, the Johnson campaign is hoping to continue using memes to generate excitement and gently caress over Trump in Utah sweep him into the White House!

Here are some suggestions on new memes. I'm sure they would love to hear your feedback!
-Harlem Shake up Washington this November! Vote Johnson!
-I hope people Pokemon Go to the polls!*
-I can has raw milk? Vote Libertarian!
-All your base are belong to US Government bureaucrats! Move ZIG for Johnson!**

*Indicates something actually said by one of the candidates
**Indicates a meme older than some of the people voting this November

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Goon Danton posted:

-All your base are belong to US Government bureaucrats! Move ZIG for Johnson!**

**Indicates a meme older than some of the people voting this November

Holy poo poo I must've been 6 when my dad showed me the swf because I saw the phrase in a Sally Forth comic

Anyway,

- Oh poo poo, here come dat private prison!
- Health insurance across state lines, above the poverty line, and on fleek!
- Get drunk! Buy a gun! :smugdog:

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 17, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
<picture of a guy in a star wars shirt smoking a blunt and cleaning out a gun>

it me

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 17, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Stinky_Pete posted:

Holy poo poo I must've been 6 when my dad showed me the swf

Also holy poo poo, I'm old.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Jesus Christ that will be more than my yearly salary until I'm 28

Please destroy capitalism

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I'm older than that and it's still more than what I make a year by about half. It's roughly what I made in the previous two years combined. It's more than I made in the three years prior to my moving to another country; again, combined. In the almost decade since I've graduated college, I have yet to have a job that approaches that as an annual salary. Capitalism where your success in a field is based as much on nepotism as it is on knowledge can die in a fire.

Life post-recession has been awesome, and it's doubly great not being able to afford getting a master's degree or going for a different career path.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

we can conclude from this that the free market has determined that memes are more valuable than you

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

theshim posted:

we can conclude from this that the free market has determined that memes are more valuable than you

I never knew you could scam people quite this blatantly. I thought you had to at least put up a little pretense.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 17, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

YF19pilot posted:

I'm older than that and it's still more than what I make a year by about half. It's roughly what I made in the previous two years combined. It's more than I made in the three years prior to my moving to another country; again, combined. In the almost decade since I've graduated college, I have yet to have a job that approaches that as an annual salary. Capitalism where your success in a field is based as much on nepotism as it is on knowledge can die in a fire.

Life post-recession has been awesome, and it's doubly great not being able to afford getting a master's degree or going for a different career path.

do you really only make 15k a year? that's insanely low, what terrible job do you have?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Ron Paul trots down a street in San Francisco by a bunch of homeless people and shouts, "LEARN TO MEME!"

also, I'm sorry to hear that YF19pilot

what happened to unions :cripes:

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 17, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

do you really only make 15k a year? that's insanely low, what terrible job do you have?

That's basically what full time on minimum wage gets you. But if we just got rid of the minimum wage, we could help out that poor black teenager who really wants to work for $5/hour but the drat state won't let him!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
shamelessly stolen from twitter but

ron and rand paul went to town
riding on a brony
stuck a sign into the ground
and wrote on it "whites only"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That meter is awful

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Who What Now posted:

I never knew you could scam people quote this blatantly. I thought you had to at least put up a little pretense.
I've read this like ten times and I still don't understand what you are saying :ohdear:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

theshim posted:

I've read this like ten times and I still don't understand what you are saying :ohdear:

Took me a minute too.

Who What Now posted:

I never knew you could scam people quite this blatantly. I thought you had to at least put up a little pretense.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

theshim posted:

Sorry, posting too fast at work. I'm saying that spending $30k on dank internet memes is almost certainly a lie and that money went straight into Johnson's (the the PAC owner's) pocket. I thought that if you were going to trick people into donating you would need to put in a little more effort to hide your expenditures and at least pretend you spent that money on real stuff.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Stinky_Pete posted:

Ron Paul trots down a street in San Francisco by a bunch of homeless people and shouts, "LEARN TO MEME!"

also, I'm sorry to hear that YF19pilot

Republicans. You know, right to work laws, at will employment, propaganda, etc. The rich hated them so they spent money to make them go away.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Stinky_Pete posted:

Neo-liberalism and right to work laws

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Who What Now posted:

That meter is awful

sing it to the tune of yankee doodle, friend

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

sing it to the tune of yankee doodle, friend

Yeah, I got that. Still doesn't seem right.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stinky_Pete posted:

Don't cry for unions, they died a long time ago.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

inkblot posted:

Don't cry for unions, they died a long time ago.

Unions are not dead, but the coma is lasting way too long

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

YF19pilot posted:

Holy gently caress. I bitched about making $20 an hour and found that to be a pain in the rear end to live on as a young single dude. How in the bloody blue blazes can you get by on that little?

I still find it absolutely horrifying that I make more than about 2/3 of households in the US and I'm not even making 6 figures.

Income inequality in this country is seriously out of control and we need a much higher minimum wage a decade ago.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

Holy gently caress. I bitched about making $20 an hour and found that to be a pain in the rear end to live on as a young single dude. How in the bloody blue blazes can you get by on that little?

I still find it absolutely horrifying that I make more than about 2/3 of households in the US and I'm not even making 6 figures.

Income inequality in this country is seriously out of control and we need a much higher minimum wage a decade ago.

https://youtu.be/QPKKQnijnsM

Something from 2012, and data suggests this is now out of date :(

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

I would do some awful things to good people for $20 an hour. I made the most I've ever made as a civilian last year, ~15k USD last year (in France so it's a bit easier but not much) but since my fiancée couldn't get a work permit it had to cover the both of us. One year we only brought in about 6k to live on, so after paying rent we only had about $150 to spend on food and necessities like toilet paper and toothpaste. I just moved back to the States for a Fed job which starts next year and even though I'm working two jobs at the moment I doubt I'll clear $15k this year either.

"I bitched about making $20 an hour and found that to be a pain in the rear end to live on" is such a bizarre statement to me, I know intellectually it's not really much money but emotionally it's like that Wall Street Journal image about the plight of a poor family getting taxes raised on their meager 500k income.

And most of my immediate family has been living on incomes like that their entire lives!

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Dirk the Average posted:

Interesting, I was happy with the $18/hr I got at my summer internship and now I can't imagine living like I did then, but even then it just had to support my high-functioning alcoholic lifestyle. I have no clue how someone raises a family on less.

Also, no idea how anyone lives in the Bay on less than like 70k

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Soviet Commubot posted:

I would do some awful things to good people for $20 an hour. I made the most I've ever made as a civilian last year, ~15k USD last year (in France so it's a bit easier but not much) but since my fiancée couldn't get a work permit it had to cover the both of us. One year we only brought in about 6k to live on, so after paying rent we only had about $150 to spend on food and necessities like toilet paper and toothpaste. I just moved back to the States for a Fed job which starts next year and even though I'm working two jobs at the moment I doubt I'll clear $15k this year either.

"I bitched about making $20 an hour and found that to be a pain in the rear end to live on" is such a bizarre statement to me, I know intellectually it's not really much money but emotionally it's like that Wall Street Journal image about the plight of a poor family getting taxes raised on their meager 500k income.

And most of my immediate family has been living on incomes like that their entire lives!

$20 an hour at full time is about $40,000 per year. For some perspective, $50,000 is considered solidly middle-class for a multi-person household.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Dirk the Average posted:

We pay the contract attorneys at my company about 23 dollars an hour. And as an attorney you are not required to be paid time and a half for overtime under federal law, so they get that rate regardless of how many hours they work.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

What we need is a maximum wage. :ussr:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I used to dream about going to another country myself, having lived in a fair few as a child, but there's no real escape anymore. The country where I was born, Canada, isn't really better off than the US and has a much higher cost of living while where I grew up, the UK, is a miserable mire of racism and hatred with a jacked-up cost of living, pathetic wages, and a once-proud but dying NHS. Even with an EU (for now) passport, you can't find decent work on the continent.

It's really depressing to realise that there's nowhere to go to escape the nightmarish capitalist dystopia that is the world, and it's only going to get worse. The only upside is that it takes the sting out of dying.

Soviet Commubot posted:

Part of me is sad that you ended up leaving France, C-bot, but if you're happier that way then so be it. Did you meet your fiancée there or in the states?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
What the hell field are you in that you can't beat minimum wage with, given you mention a master's, I can only assume is at least a bachelor's degree? poo poo, every fast food joint and Starbucks out here is starting people at $10, and that's in the rear end end of the Midwest not someplace expensive like the Bay or Seattle.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

What the hell field are you in that you can't beat minimum wage with, given you mention a master's, I can only assume is at least a bachelor's degree? poo poo, every fast food joint and Starbucks out here is starting people at $10, and that's in the rear end end of the Midwest not someplace expensive like the Bay or Seattle.

Yeah, surely any bachelor's degree is a stepping stone to at least a sales position?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Depends on where you go but some places just positively refuse to pay good wages at all, ever.

In these parts it's just plain surreal to see hiring signs up literally everywhere but only offering $9/hour with zero hope of actually getting 40 hours a week. They won't budge either and people aren't exactly jumping at the opportunity to move to this decaying wreck of a city to work for that. Parking is a nightmare, the mass transit sucks, and despite abandoned buildings everywhere the rent is still too high.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
ITT: the ravages of capitalism and reasons for revolution

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Liquid Communism posted:

Around where I live (mid-Michigan) fast food is hiring for the high $8s to low $9s, and I can guarantee you won't find much better in most other entry-level fields.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

Ah, gently caress sorry. The phrasing of what I said was a little odd. I made just under $20k last year, and am on target for $20k this year. Next year will probably be around $22k with my new raise. I get paid roughly $20/hr, but only work part time, so the pay is similar to a full-time job at $10/hr. I mean, poo poo is still pretty low in the grand scheme of things. If I got married and had a kid, I'd be below the poverty line again. For about 5 of the last 8 years my annual income was about $10~12,000/year, thanks to having to bounce from one part-time job to another. Any full time work I could get never lasted long enough to really make a dent in things (either temp work or the company itself folded).

Where I live now, $20k/year is comfortable living. There's a National Health Service, so I'm covered for insurance. Though I still gripe at the costs of things I want, but can't afford. I'm not living in depression, but I am a bit salty about how things up until now have worked out. Right now I'm in a position/job that at least has some growth potential to it, unlike basically every job I've had before now.

Liquid Communism posted:

Bachelor's. The field of study I went into got very tight and very competitive very quickly right as I graduated, and I had neither the experience or connections needed to get in. Something to be said about not just building connections, but building good connections. Getting a good job is just as much about nepotism, but it's worthless if your connections won't work for you.

So, I had to do the millennial thing of living with my parents working part-time job after part-time job. And where I was (also Midwest), $10/hr would've really been nice, but nobody offered that as a starting pay, and it was impossible to get full-time work ("Oh, you have a degree? Well, we don't want to invest our money in training you full time, but you can work part-time at a lower pay," someone actually told me in an interview). Not all was bad; I did have a job that paid $14.50/hr. It was a temp job that didn't even last a full 3 months, and was cut short due to low work volume.

Though you mention "rear end end of the Midwest"; I was in Ohio.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Soviet Commubot posted:

If you get the chance, try to get a job as a technician somewhere in a medical company (or other industrial company; my only experience is medical). Generally speaking, there's not much education required, and if you're former military, they'll be happy to hire you (there are tax breaks and incentives to do so!). You won't make as much as an engineer, but you get decent pay and benefits.

I was bitching about my pay because I was working as a temp and not able to use my degree. Now I make roughly double what I was making with full benefits and a nice 401k.

It really shouldn't be that tough to make good money in this country. How the hell are people so opposed to minimum wage increases? It's maddening. It's not a perfect solution, and I'm in favor of more drastic things like mincome, but it should be politically viable to reward people for hard work!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

If you get the chance, try to get a job as a technician somewhere in a medical company (or other industrial company; my only experience is medical). Generally speaking, there's not much education required, and if you're former military, they'll be happy to hire you (there are tax breaks and incentives to do so!). You won't make as much as an engineer, but you get decent pay and benefits.

I was bitching about my pay because I was working as a temp and not able to use my degree. Now I make roughly double what I was making with full benefits and a nice 401k.

It really shouldn't be that tough to make good money in this country. How the hell are people so opposed to minimum wage increases? It's maddening. It's not a perfect solution, and I'm in favor of more drastic things like mincome, but it should be politically viable to reward people for hard work!

Doesn't it basically boil down to idiots not wanting fast-food workers to be paid the same as *insert more respected job here*, along with simplistic/inaccurate arguments about how it will ruin businesses and result in less jobs?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

BreakAtmo posted:

Doesn't it basically boil down to idiots not wanting fast-food workers to be paid the same as *insert more respected job here*, along with simplistic/inaccurate arguments about how it will ruin businesses and result in less jobs?

An increasingly common argument against the $15 minimum wage is that fast food restaurants would replace all their workers with robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Curvature of Earth posted:

An increasingly common argument against the $15 minimum wage is that fast food restaurants would replace all their workers with robots.

It's going to be pretty funny when we fail to pass a minimum wage increase and all of the fast food workers are replaced with robots anyway