Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Lincoln tried pitching his government buyback of slaves gradual emancipation scheme to Delaware and got a pretty sharp rejection, helping lead him towards emancipation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

sweek0 posted:

There are clearly quite a few areas that are shaded red that are closer to a blue dot than a red dot and vice versa.

I only see one obvious one, the red bulge in western Kentucky, but I think in that case the blue dot at the KY/TN border at the east edge of the bulge is actually both, but the blue dots are always on top, so the Krystal there is probably ever-so-slightly north of the White Castle.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Golbez posted:

I only see one obvious one, the red bulge in western Kentucky, but I think in that case the blue dot at the KY/TN border at the east edge of the bulge is actually both, but the blue dots are always on top, so the Krystal there is probably ever-so-slightly north of the White Castle.
Yeah, you can actually see the red dot peeking out slightly from underneath.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yeah, you can actually see the red dot peeking out slightly from underneath.

Every girls junior high school nightmare.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Delaware didn't really register as a slave state until in college, my girlfriend's grandmother told us a story about how her father used to take her to see the lynchings.

Delaware had segregation until the 50's.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

In Dutch it is called the Amerikaanse Burgeroorlog, for obvious reasons.

nashville looks like the front lines in aleppo or stalingrad or something

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I felt like sharing some random propaganda maps:

and something funny:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

What do you mean? Is it a point of historical antagonism? No. Does it really affect people now that both countries are part of Schengen? No. In many ways Czechoslovakia still exists. Slovaks are by far the greatest "minority" the Czech republic, and Czechs choose Slovakia as their number one holiday destination.
OTOH i think lots of Czechs still patronizingly think about Slovakia as our little brother, and Slovaks are kinda annoyed about that.

I once mistook Slovakia for Slovenia when talking with a Slovakian dude and I was really apologetic and he was like "*sigh* no that happens all the time" and that made me even sadder

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The Australian commentator on the pole vault for the Canadian broadcast today referred to a Slovenian athlete as Slovakian three times in a row, so you knew it wasn't just an accident.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

I always have to take a second to think CzechoSlovakia > Slovakia =/= Slovenia to remember which is which.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Literally the only benefit of being part Slovak is I've never screwed it up

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Speaking of Oz, when Joseph Fritzl was in the news at least one program had a map that named Austria as Australia. This lead to a lot of jokes and memes with Fritzl photoshopped in stereotypical Australian scenes. Shame I can't find the original map, googles full of edits.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why don't Slovakia and Slovenia unite into once country and call it Slovia?

The lack of a connecting border should be no issue with Shengen in place.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Just shave off a little more Hungary, I'm sure they won't mind.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Guavanaut posted:

I think on a map the borders of Slovia would look awfully slovenly.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 17, 2016

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Guavanaut posted:

While we're at it let's unite Georgia, Georgia, and South Georgia.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Peanut President posted:

And revive the world-spanning Empire of the Guineas

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Kamrat posted:

I felt like sharing some random propaganda maps:

Is the first map supposed to be pro-Soviet or anti?

And what does the second map mean, other than "Vienna has a thriving gay scene"?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The second map is from a 1953 issue of Life Magazine (here's the article in question) about the smuggling of "strategic material" to bolster Soviet-controlled industry in Eastern Europe, in which Vienna was the major hub of communication and negotiations between the various parties involved in smuggling.

LIFE posted:

This map shows how stratecig pipeline is filled and then pumped out. Cycle begins in Vienna where Iron Curtain buyers place orders with agents. Deals are financed thorugh Zurich, from which orders go out purchasing goods around world. Embargoed materials are shipped through Antwerp or Rotterdam (in pump) or smuggled from Ruhr. Transshipped and joined by flows from Hamburg, goods go to Rostock, East Germany, or Gdynia, Poland, or pass checkpoints "in transit" - main ones are Schirnding, Furth im Wald, Passau, Salzburg. Finally they bolster East Europe or go to Russia.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

mcustic posted:

Is the first map supposed to be pro-Soviet or anti?

And what does the second map mean, other than "Vienna has a thriving gay scene"?

The first map is pro soviet, it's about how they're mighty and ready to defend themselves.

Edit:
Found a better version with text, as I don't read Russian I don't know what it says but someone here might

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 17, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Peanut President posted:

It has always bothered me that we don't have an "East Virginia" to go with "West Virginia".

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Kamrat posted:

The first map is pro soviet, it's about how they're mighty and ready to defend themselves.

Edit:
Found a better version with text, as I don't read Russian I don't know what it says but someone here might

"Stay vigilant!" And it's signed by Trotsky. The rest of the text is tiny and is making my head hurt.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrSunshine posted:

It has always bothered me that we don't have an "East Virginia" to go with "West Virginia".
It's the English kingdom of Nossex.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

mcustic posted:

"Stay vigilant!" And it's signed by Trotsky. The rest of the text is tiny and is making my head hurt.

It's the text of Order 267 (as in, spreading this text around was the order)

Here's a translation I found for it:

quote:

Only recently the Red Army experienced, together with the country to which it belongs, several weeks of acute political tension: the question of whether or not there would be peace with Poland was being decided. Thanks to the extraordinary firmness and peace-loving persistence of Soviet diplomacy, agreement was reached: the Polish Government undertook to expel from Poland those White-Guards who had openly formed bands on Polish territory and prepared terrorist acts against the Soviet power in Russia. But hardly had this agreement been signed by both parties than Poland hurled on to our territory a fresh lot of sizeable bands, linked by a common plan and led by that very same Petlyurist bandit, Tyutyunik, who was to have been expelled from Poland. The unprecedently provocative character of this new attack has forced the army to stir itself and ask: ‘How long?’

Undoubtedly, from the standpoint of the so-called international law of bourgeois states, the latest White-Guard provocation is a direct challenge to war. But since the Soviet Government does not want war, it is not hurrying to take up this challenge. It counts firmly on the Polish people to restrain the criminal adventurers and call them to order.

Every Red Army man must, however, appreciate the real state of affairs. In Poland there is not one government, but two. One of these is the official government, the public one, which speaks in Parliament, carries on negotiations and signs treaties.

The other is the secret government, which relies on a consider-able section of the officers, and is headed by the so-called Head of State, Pilsudski. Behind this secret government stand the extreme imperialists of France. While the official Polish Government, under pressure not only from the working people but also from wide bourgeois circles, is compelled to seek peace with Soviet Russia, the provocateurs of the Polish army command strive with all their might to bring about war.

What are the conclusions for us? In no case to facilitate the work of the provocateurs but, on the contrary, to show, as before, the utmost restraint in maintaining peaceful relations. But, at the same time, we must keep firmly in mind the split in the will of Poland’s ruling class. We do not know whether it will be the supporters of peace or the criminal incendiaries who will get the upper hand in Poland this winter or next spring. We must be prepared for the worst.

The Red Army is again crushing the Petlyurist bands hurled against us by the Polish adventurers. The Red Army is redoubling its work of military preparation. No turn of events will take the Red Army by surprise!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Only beginner-tier map nerds would get Slovenia and Slovakia confused. The real deal would be able to rattle off both countries' respective capital cities in under five seconds.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Phlegmish posted:

Only beginner-tier map nerds would get Slovenia and Slovakia confused. The real deal would be able to rattle off both countries' respective capital cities in under five seconds.

That's easy as piss. Go look at some Caribbean maps and get back to me

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

DrSunshine posted:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phlegmish posted:

Bratwurst and Ljubljub.

Ras Het posted:

Havana, KingGeorgeRoadBridgeTown, Obscure Saint, Relic of Colonialism, Port of Place.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Hey check out this Where In the World is Carmen Sandiego champ right here

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Slovenia is easy. I admit I sometimes get hung up on the Bratislava-Budapest-Bucharest axis. Hungary is clear, its the others that aren't.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ras Het posted:

Yeah, I swear I could probably label like 40% of the Carribean islands, tops.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Slovenia is easy. I admit I sometimes get hung up on the Bratislava-Budapest-Bucharest axis. Hungary is clear, its the others that aren't.

Give your buch a rest in Romania.

The brats are hot as lava in Slovakia.

This is literally how my geography teacher told my freshman HS class how to remember them. Also "life is easy in Tblisi Georgia"

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Or that South Sudan came up with nothing more original as a name.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I can only name them in German, does that count?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

the jizz taxi posted:

Or that South Sudan came up with nothing more original as a name.
They should have gone with Upper Sudan.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Taiwan has cities named Taipei, Taitung, Tainan and Taichung which translates as North, East, South and Central Taiwan respectively. They've always annoyed me for being a) very generic names for cities and b) not having a West Taiwan.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
For that matter, Timor L'Este is problematic too. Now that there's one, there should be a West Timor too!

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

Taiwan has cities named Taipei, Taitung, Tainan and Taichung which translates as North, East, South and Central Taiwan respectively. They've always annoyed me for being a) very generic names for cities and b) not having a West Taiwan.

There is one, it's just a minor town rather than a proper city like the others.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Mr. Belpit posted:

There is one, it's just a minor town rather than a proper city like the others.

Well, that's one less thing to be irrationally irritated in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DrSunshine posted:

For that matter, Timor L'Este is problematic too. Now that there's one, there should be a West Timor too!

And a Lower Volta.