Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

0toShifty posted:

And the tire BECAME the Michelin Man.

Wow that tire is hosed.

Edit quote for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I wonder if there was any visible damage on the outside.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Edit for clarity

We found the cause of this

it was

0toShifty posted:

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 17, 2016

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

tater_salad posted:

We found the cause of this

Well, yeah, but don't post it here. Wouldn't want to know why.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

charliemonster42 posted:

Well, yeah, but don't post it here. Wouldn't want to know why.

0toShifty posted:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Tire exploded from dragging/stuck caliper causing heat, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Look straight up, that speck you can barely see in the sky is the joke.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
Somehow, two bolts have failed.

600V 1200A bus running at 350-400A if anyone cares.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Holy poo poo, 280c?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

If it’s only 280°C, it’s not glowing in the visible range, but it sure makes a nice photo.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo, 280c?
>280°C (that's the upper limit of the FLIR?), and I'd guess well past that, since the nuts are glowing in the first pic.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

nmfree posted:

>280°C (that's the upper limit of the FLIR?), and I'd guess well past that, since the nuts are glowing in the first pic.

Yeah, my camera has a max of 280˚C. Anything over it just says >280˚C.

The actual wire got to 160˚C, which is super bad for something rated at 90˚C. Only replaced the lug and bolts though.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

DocCynical posted:

600V 1200A bus running at 350-400A if anyone cares.

What is that 720kW bus feeding?

The glowing nuts are... ffffuuuuuccccckkkkk :catstare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

If it’s only 280°C, it’s not glowing in the visible range, but it sure makes a nice photo.

That bottom bolt is most certainly glowing.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

HandlingByJebus posted:

What is that 720kW bus feeding?

The glowing nuts are... ffffuuuuuccccckkkkk :catstare:

1200A at 600V 3ø is 1.2MW. Forgot a √3 in your calculation. Unless you are just talking about the single bus bar...

It feeds a 350 person camp with the kitchen and amenities in the middle of nowhere. Had to get the power linemen to disconnect the transformer fuses at the pole. Just switched to generator while we fixed it up at 9 or so at night, the power linemen didn't know which fuses did the transformer that fed this.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Items glow in infrared, invisible to the human eye but very visible to a digital camera, before they glow visually.

CommieGIR posted:

That bottom bolt is most certainly glowing.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

DocCynical posted:

1200A at 600V 3ø is 1.2MW. Forgot a √3 in your calculation. Unless you are just talking about the single bus bar...

It feeds a 350 person camp with the kitchen and amenities in the middle of nowhere. Had to get the power linemen to disconnect the transformer fuses at the pole. Just switched to generator while we fixed it up at 9 or so at night, the power linemen didn't know which fuses did the transformer that fed this.

P = VA

Which gives you 720kW.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Items glow in infrared, invisible to the human eye but very visible to a digital camera, before they glow visually.

It wasn't glowing as brightly as the camera shows, but it was definitely glowing red. Judging by a steel colour chart, the temp is ~580˚C on the nut itself, from what I remember.

EightBit posted:

P = VA

Which gives you 720kW.
Only on the one phase, the total system power is 1.2MW.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Honestly just dismissed it as some kind of anodized bolt for some reason.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DocCynical posted:

Only on the one phase, the total system power is 1.2MW.

720*(√3), right? I have the vaguest recollection of first year physics telling me that.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Memento posted:

720*(√3), right? I have the vaguest recollection of first year physics telling me that.

This. I forgot the other phases.

Schooled! :science:

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

Memento posted:

P=ELine to Line*ILine*√3. So, 600V*1200A*1.723(ish) is 1.2MW. If we are getting mathy in the mechanical failures thread for some reason, then you could also go P=ELine to Neutral*ILine*3, which would be 347V*1200A*3=1.2MW. A single bus would be just 347V*1200A = 416kW. This is all assuming unity power factor of course. [/maths derail]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Paging Three Phase to the thread, this is extremely your poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DocCynical posted:

It wasn't glowing as brightly as the camera shows, but it was definitely glowing red. Judging by a steel colour chart, the temp is ~580˚C on the nut itself, from what I remember.

Interesting. I was going by the second image where the scale tops out at 260.4, but I guess overexposure was allowed there

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Interesting. I was going by the second image where the scale tops out at 260.4, but I guess overexposure was allowed there

I may have snapped that one after the power had been cut and after a while. I don't recall, this happened last year sometime I think. The big picture was shot with my cellphone and then the two thermal ones with the Flir, which does have a digital camera, but at 640x480 or something lame. I may have used the software to futz with the scale as well to try and enhance the temperature differences.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DocCynical posted:

Who made those bolts, because I want to buy stock in that company.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

DocCynical posted:

what was the reason for this failure?

Was this so hot because those 2 bolts were loose so got all the current rather than the whole of the metal mating surfaces? or was everything just overloaded and overfused?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tomarse posted:

I assumed it was because the bolts weren't tight enough... am I close?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So close that you're arcing.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Tomarse posted:

Was this so hot because those 2 bolts were loose so got all the current rather than the whole of the metal mating surfaces? or was everything just overloaded and overfused?

Poor load balancing, too much of the load is on that phase. Otherwise the wires wouldn't be running at 160C as well. Someone who knows what they are doing needs to take a look at it and figure out how to split things up better.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

rdb posted:

Poor load balancing, too much of the load is on that phase. Otherwise the wires wouldn't be running at 160C as well. Someone who knows what they are doing needs to take a look at it and figure out how to split things up better.

Nope, everything was still balanced. The bolts came loose and instead of 350A going through the lug and bus bar surface area, it was close to all of it going through the two bolts. Much less surface area and cross sectional area as well as steel not being as good a conductor. It is slightly hard to see in the photo, but that lug is really only contacting at the top. The wire heating is from the bolts, copper conducts heat well.

As to why the bolts failed in that manner, I have no clue. Maybe they worked loose via vibration from the 1.2MW backup generator being tested. Maybe they weren't torqued right and just worked loose over time. It happened quick though. Day before everything was fine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wonder how fast loctite would burn off on something like that.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wonder how fast loctite would burn off on something like that.

How much current are cotter pins rated to?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I know the food industry uses stainless steel lock nuts, they're my preferred nut for trailer hitches/towbars.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Isn't stainless a fairly weak metal, though? Like "grade 2"?

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

QuarkMartial posted:

Forgot about a bic lighter on my dash for a while and it burst earlier in the summer. Wasn't driving or even in the car, or it could have ended badly.

Really surprised to hear that, I always assumed the cheap-o's overheat and explode because they are translucent.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maybe in general don't leave sealed containers of volatile, flammable substances in direct sunlight/hot cabins.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You can't tell me what to do.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Safety Dance posted:

You can't tell me what to do.

Continue to take up space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU