Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
Philips SHP9500s are on sale on Newegg right now. I was thinking of buying a pair, but is the bass as bad as people say it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

enojy posted:

I looked up the SMSL SAP-VI. Please forgive me if I'm misinterpreting, but vendors that sell it rate it at 200mW of power to 32 ohms. The FiiO E10K is rated the same, so would you say they're roughly equivalent in power delivery? (Barring the power deliveries to other ohm levels that the manufacturers don't reveal -- for all I know, the FiiO could drop severely above 32 ohm due to its USB power while the SMSL might keep the mW higher as ohms increase.)

Absolutely not.

SMSL drastically overrates their products. The way they get a high power delivery capability is by pushing their amps way past the point of linear response way way way into distortion territory. They are like a factor of 100-1000x more distorted than any actual hi-fi manufacturer would do.

The Fiio is probably rated to 200 mW at 0.1% THD. The SMSL is probably rated to 200 mW at 10% THD.

Judging from what I remember with their speaker amps, divide their power by 1/2 for decent quality and 1/4 for hifi quality.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Paul MaudDib posted:

Absolutely not.

SMSL drastically overrates their products. The way they get a high power delivery capability is by pushing their amps way past the point of linear response way way way into distortion territory. They are like a factor of 100-1000x more distorted than any actual hi-fi manufacturer would do.

That's not just an SMSL thing, it's true of all T-amps. They're still pretty great little amps but you're right, you should always buy around 3 to 4 times the power you need and don't expect great things to happen if you crank it.

This doesn't apply to their headphone amps, totally different design.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
I bought the Fostex T50RP mk3. I was happy enough with them just from my Apple laptop, had the volume up around 60-70% to get my normal reasonable listening level. I'd already ordered the Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 because everyone said I'd need an amp to drive them. I didn't need them to drive the headphones to a point I was happy with. That said, adding the amp I can get the headphones a lot louder than I need. Sometimes I'll push them up a bit and listen for 10-20 minutes at a much higher volume than normal and they sound great like this. I don't think they sound as good that loud from just the laptop.

I also got some ZMF earpads with the headphones since everyone said the stock ones suck. I only used the stock ones for an hour or two and they were reasonable but I could definitely see how they could press uncomfortably on your ears. The ZMF pads (I got lambskin) make it fairly luxurious, I haven't had any issue. If you have very large ears I suppose you might find the pads press on your ears instead of around them.

I got the ZMF pilot pad as well. Not a huge difference but does reduce the felt weight of the headphones. Only annoyance is I can't get one side of the velcro to close evenly but that's purely aesthetic.

Overall would definitely recommend this setup, just wish taxes shipped into Canada weren't so ridiculous.

Edited: for spelling because "Apply laptop" isn't really a thing I don't know why I'm typing this but here we are how are you this is fine.

Melraidin fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 17, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm hoping you guys can help me. I have an old bluetooth Plantronics Voyager Pro I use for phone calls, they're rare but I just prefer using a headset when on a call. Well the battery in it is swelling up so I guess it's time to replace it.

I was thinking I wouldn't mind replacing it with stereo bluetooth earbuds but it's been hard to find a pair with a microphone, much less a set that's well reviewed. I don't mind paying up to $100 if the set sounds decent but good performance as a headset is a must. I don't really even know where to start, what brands are good and which ones aren't.

Can anyone recommend a decent Bluetooth headset where it won't sound horrible to the other party while I'm in a call? Bonus points if they also work decently for listening to podcasts at work but that's strictly a secondary use case. I'd definitely like them to block out as much noise as possible.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
They pretty much all have mics built in, but they're either located on the cable or on the earbud itself. None of them will sound "good" to the person you're calling, but most will probably sound "acceptable".

I would try something like the LG Tone Pro neckband-style thing, as at least those have the mic sort of in front of you. Find one with aptx and/or Bluetooth 4.0, there are a million copies of that design which probably all sound pretty much the same.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They pretty much all have mics built in, but they're either located on the cable or on the earbud itself. None of them will sound "good" to the person you're calling, but most will probably sound "acceptable".

I would try something like the LG Tone Pro neckband-style thing, as at least those have the mic sort of in front of you. Find one with aptx and/or Bluetooth 4.0, there are a million copies of that design which probably all sound pretty much the same.

I thought about that but I walk around when I'm talking on the phone I assumed (wrongly?) that the neckband rubbing on my clothing would make constant noise. Is that not the case?

Also neckband headphones seem like a lovely idea altogether because of the wires leading to the buds. Every pair of earbuds I've ever had broke because the cord ended up going bad so why would I want cordless earbuds that have two cords?

Am I thinking of this wrong?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If you're looking for truly cordless earbuds, don't. The only ones from a major company that actually work are the Samsung Icon X, and they are not worth the $200 they charge for them. Wait two years.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Insanely Sikh posted:

These massive cunts

Happy with them so far, cheers Grack.

Anyone got advice on burning in IEMs? I was thinking of just playing some youtube whitenoise through them while I'm asleep for 8 hours or so.

Hi guys,

My Sony XB90EX are sadly ripe for replacement - still going strong after 30 months daily use but starting to show heavy signs of wear. That said, thought it defo a good idea to pop into here again for some more advice after Grack's excellent recommendation the first time.

I've previously completed the OP survey and my answers remain the same now (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521&pagenumber=32&perpage=40#post424862694).

Short of buying the XB90EX again, any other interesting recommendations I should look at? They're an old model so surely something better to look at now, but I'd honestly happily nab the same headphones again.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
The Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart arrived yesterday. Quick impressions:

Looks: Simply gorgeous. I love wooden earcups in red, and these have quite possibly the second most attractive color of any I've seen, behind only the Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 (Sovereign, not the W1000X Grandioso or W1000Z Maestoso).
Comfort: Pretty comfortable, on par with most full-size headphones that I've used where the headband rests directly on the top of my head. Compared to the others I have on-hand, I'd say that it's about the same as the Sennheiser HD 600 and 598 SE, and rather better than the AKG x Massdrop K7XX (with the thin unpadded headband, I find it to be rather uncomfortable and so is my least-used headphone by a long shot). It's not as good as the W1000 though - the 3D Wing system seems to be hit or miss for people, but they work very well for me and make for much more comfortable headphones than those whose band rests on the top of my head.
Sound quality: Pretty drat good. Playing mostly 320kbps MP3s from iTunes via a Woo Audio WA7d + WA7tp DAC/amp (I also have a FLAC library but I usually just stick with iTunes because of convenience). Compared to my decade-old pair of HD 600s (the standard by which I still judge all headphones when everything, including price, is taken into consideration), I'd say that bass is stronger but not overbearingly so, but has a slightly smaller soundstage. Compared to the ATH-W1000, which is well-known for being bass-light, and it's a better all-around performer, though I'd still consider the A-Ts to have a more lush midrange/treble. I didn't compare them to the K7XX because I just rarely ever use those due to the aforementioned comfort issues.
Misc: The cable on the TH-X00 is quite thick (noticeably thicker than any of the other headphones I currently own), which may be slightly annoying. It terminates into a 1/4" plug, and Fostex doesn't include a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, but Massdrop threw one in from Monoprice, if that matters to anyone.

So overall I quite like these, and will probably use them as the primary headphones on my workstation in the near future, replacing the ATH-W1000 for the time being (the HD 600 are generally used with my gaming PC, the HD 598 SE used at the office, and the K7XX just sits there). That or use them on the gaming PC instead - being closed instead of open might be preferable for minimizing game noise bleeding into my microphone (Blue Yeti), driven by a FiiO E09K.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 18, 2016

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990s because I read about them quite a bit here and asked some coworkers for their recommendations as well.

They sound amazing.

I picked up the 32 ohm version, hoping to be able to power them from my phone (S7 Edge), but it turns out they don't sound as good as from my (discrete amp'd) motherboard onboard audio. Just a little too quiet, or just like they aren't getting enough power. I get a fairly similar experience from my Macbook Pro I use for work.

So, what's a good PORTABLE amp that I can use for these?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Insanely Sikh posted:

Hi guys,

My Sony XB90EX are sadly ripe for replacement - still going strong after 30 months daily use but starting to show heavy signs of wear. That said, thought it defo a good idea to pop into here again for some more advice after Grack's excellent recommendation the first time.

I've previously completed the OP survey and my answers remain the same now (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521&pagenumber=32&perpage=40#post424862694).

Short of buying the XB90EX again, any other interesting recommendations I should look at? They're an old model so surely something better to look at now, but I'd honestly happily nab the same headphones again.

You could look at the HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2. They'll have similar bass but probably a little more clear over all than the XB90EX and a couple of bucks cheaper to boot.

featurecreep posted:

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990s because I read about them quite a bit here and asked some coworkers for their recommendations as well.

They sound amazing.

I picked up the 32 ohm version, hoping to be able to power them from my phone (S7 Edge), but it turns out they don't sound as good as from my (discrete amp'd) motherboard onboard audio. Just a little too quiet, or just like they aren't getting enough power. I get a fairly similar experience from my Macbook Pro I use for work.

So, what's a good PORTABLE amp that I can use for these?

Fiio E10k

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
hey guys, I bought the new Bose Quietcomfort 35 and have a small problem when connecting them to my laptop using bluetooth. If I want to use the mic from the headphones, all audio is muted while I talk on the mic. This is really bad when playing online games and I want to talk, as soon as I push the talk key, all sound is muted, even if I use windows to test the microphone and I have a youtube video in the background, all sound is muted. Has anyone experienced this before?

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

grack posted:

You could look at the HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2. They'll have similar bass but probably a little more clear over all than the XB90EX and a couple of bucks cheaper to boot.

Cheers, I'll have a look.

Out of interest, has anyone used Sony MDR EX800ST/7550?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I put those Shure 840 pads on the Fostex and they feel great now. My entire ears actually fit inside these. Didn't notice a whole ton of difference sound-wise, which is good! I had to abandon the FiiO E10K and go back to my receiver, though... the FiiO just doesn't have enough umph for these. My receiver barely has the umph with the volume right at 0dB.

Over the past few days, I get the impression that they're pretty good all around once you replace the stock pads. They sound quite a bit better with some equalization.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

El Chingon posted:

hey guys, I bought the new Bose Quietcomfort 35 and have a small problem when connecting them to my laptop using bluetooth. If I want to use the mic from the headphones, all audio is muted while I talk on the mic. This is really bad when playing online games and I want to talk, as soon as I push the talk key, all sound is muted, even if I use windows to test the microphone and I have a youtube video in the background, all sound is muted. Has anyone experienced this before?

The Bluetooth headphones switches between different profiles depending on what's happening. When listening to some tunes, the A2DP/Aptx/etc profile is on. When on a call it switches to whatever profile it uses to receive calls. The same thing happens when you pair the headphones to a PC, if you're gonna VoIP, you can only use the cans for that, if you're gonna listen to some music/movie/game, you'll be unable to use the mic. As much as it would be a cool thing, most headphones won't allow you to both use the mic and listen to a game or what have you simultaneously. Media playback uses one profile while the communication uses another. Your best bet is getting a table mic/another mic if you wish to do both.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Number Two Stunna posted:

Philips SHP9500s are on sale on Newegg right now. I was thinking of buying a pair, but is the bass as bad as people say it is?

It's definitely lacking, but at least it's fairly clean. They're definitely the best $60 headphones I've ever tried (except that they don't fit my tiny head).

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Passburger posted:

The Bluetooth headphones switches between different profiles depending on what's happening. When listening to some tunes, the A2DP/Aptx/etc profile is on. When on a call it switches to whatever profile it uses to receive calls. The same thing happens when you pair the headphones to a PC, if you're gonna VoIP, you can only use the cans for that, if you're gonna listen to some music/movie/game, you'll be unable to use the mic. As much as it would be a cool thing, most headphones won't allow you to both use the mic and listen to a game or what have you simultaneously. Media playback uses one profile while the communication uses another. Your best bet is getting a table mic/another mic if you wish to do both.

Thank you for the help! I guess I'll get a table mic, the headphones just sound too good to go back to the HyperX Cloud headset I had.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

GokieKS posted:

The Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart arrived yesterday. Quick impressions:

Looks: Simply gorgeous. I love wooden earcups in red, and these have quite possibly the second most attractive color of any I've seen, behind only the Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 (Sovereign, not the W1000X Grandioso or W1000Z Maestoso).
Comfort: Pretty comfortable, on par with most full-size headphones that I've used where the headband rests directly on the top of my head. Compared to the others I have on-hand, I'd say that it's about the same as the Sennheiser HD 600 and 598 SE, and rather better than the AKG x Massdrop K7XX (with the thin unpadded headband, I find it to be rather uncomfortable and so is my least-used headphone by a long shot). It's not as good as the W1000 though - the 3D Wing system seems to be hit or miss for people, but they work very well for me and make for much more comfortable headphones than those whose band rests on the top of my head.
Sound quality: Pretty drat good. Playing mostly 320kbps MP3s from iTunes via a Woo Audio WA7d + WA7tp DAC/amp (I also have a FLAC library but I usually just stick with iTunes because of convenience). Compared to my decade-old pair of HD 600s (the standard by which I still judge all headphones when everything, including price, is taken into consideration), I'd say that bass is stronger but not overbearingly so, but has a slightly smaller soundstage. Compared to the ATH-W1000, which is well-known for being bass-light, and it's a better all-around performer, though I'd still consider the A-Ts to have a more lush midrange/treble. I didn't compare them to the K7XX because I just rarely ever use those due to the aforementioned comfort issues.
Misc: The cable on the TH-X00 is quite thick (noticeably thicker than any of the other headphones I currently own), which may be slightly annoying. It terminates into a 1/4" plug, and Fostex doesn't include a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, but Massdrop threw one in from Monoprice, if that matters to anyone.

So overall I quite like these, and will probably use them as the primary headphones on my workstation in the near future, replacing the ATH-W1000 for the time being (the HD 600 are generally used with my gaming PC, the HD 598 SE used at the office, and the K7XX just sits there). That or use them on the gaming PC instead - being closed instead of open might be preferable for minimizing game noise bleeding into my microphone (Blue Yeti), driven by a FiiO E09K.

Nice review. I jumped on the original (non-Purpleheart) ones and am kind of kicking myself for not waiting for the better wood. These are my everyday headphones at the home office. Leaps and bounds better than the ATH-M50 and more comfortable for long sessions than the LCD-XC. Cable is great, I just have the extra cord looped around my stand so I have just enough cord for my space and the extra isn't a problem.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Insanely Sikh posted:

Cheers, I'll have a look.

Out of interest, has anyone used Sony MDR EX800ST/7550?

Very good headphones but Sony's vertical driver IEMs are meant to be (and tuned as) studio monitors. Basically ruler flat output with a couple of very minor spikes in the treble.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I bought an open box pair of shp9500 for $45 today. Adding them to Philips collection of an x2 and the m2bt.

Question if I want planars in the future like a Fostex t50rp mk3 will my SMSL SD 793 be enough to drive them?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Green Gloves posted:

I bought an open box pair of shp9500 for $45 today. Adding them to Philips collection of an x2 and the m2bt.

Question if I want planars in the future like a Fostex t50rp mk3 will my SMSL SD 793 be enough to drive them?

Yep, should be fine.

I'd be interested in your opinion of the shp vs the fidelio models, I've been thinking about finding an X2.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yep, should be fine.

I'd be interested in your opinion of the shp vs the fidelio models, I've been thinking about finding an X2.

The X2 is great for what I need it for games and bassy music. I think it is one of the best all purpose headphones that does everything decently except maybe female vocals. I probably don't need the SHP but I want to know what the hype is all about.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Hello Headphone Goons!

At the moment I have a very expensive set of speakers and a subwoofer plugged into a Dac/headphone amp, along with a cheap pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD449). However my lifestyle has changed and as such I very rarely use the speakers because most of my computer time takes place late at night and I don't want to disturb my relatives. So I'm considering selling the speakers and the subwoofer and using the money to buy a decent set of headphones as my primary listening device, thus my need for advice:

Budget: I'm setting a hard limit of AUD $400, but I'd prefer to spend closer to $200 unless the extra money gets me something I can't live without. I don't mind shopping at US sites like amazon if I can get the goods shipped here (It would probably still be cheaper than buying locally).

Source: I have a Dac which also functions as a headphone amp (a Styleaudio Carat-Topaz) but it's probably reaching the end of its life - I need to keep a little fan pointed at it otherwise it overheats and the sound cuts out to be replaced with static. I'll continue using that for the time being, but in a couple of years I intend to replace my PC with an iMac - hopefully I'd be able to plug whatever headphones I get directly into that but I'd also consider buying some schiit products if need be.

Isolation requirements and headphone type: Any headphones I buy MUST be closed, over ear headphones.

Tonal balance: I'm not entirely sure here, My current speakers are neutral sounding studio monitors (Quad 11L Active), so I guess I'm used to that sort of sound. I don't really listen to music at my PC any more - I mostly do that in my car using apple music, so the primary usage of these headphones will be TV, movies and video games. When I do listen to music it's mostly classic rock, folk etc.

Having something super comfy for extended durations is also top priority for me. I wear glasses if that's going to be an issue.

It would be nice to have wireless headphones, if I can do that without blowing my budget and without compromising audio quality to a meaningful extent. I also don't want any sort of audio lag when I'm gaming. I'd given a thought to the Sennheiser RS 175 - is that a decent choice? Going wireless is very much a secondary priority however, and I don't mind ditching it if it can't be achieved without compromising elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Update for those who may care.

Razer headset?

Fantastic. Its exactly what it needs to be in this "Space". Entertainment headset for sure. Sound good, and jesus the range is insane. Full charge, 9AM (Currently 5AM) and still going, 20 min charge at lunch out of habit.

Gripe? Possibly a really really stupid design or defective mic. The "extendable" mic is great, But it seems to not "lock" out so it sort of rattles? Didnt see this mentioned in reviews unless I managed to miss it. But an email into razer will find out the answer. I will say, The rattle it makes does not seem to come through to other people unless im basically headbanging so whatever.

IF this is "as designed". Id still recommend it, with that as a noted thing and possibly a problem later. I'd personally still go this route just due to features and battery, But it may sway someone off for sure.

If its a fluke, Great, Id recommend it even harder.

Either way, I know audiophiles will disagree whatever. But as a headset to play games, do some work, have to wear it 9+ hours. Yeah fantastic. Plus it really does sound pretty drat good.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Hi, apologies if this has come up before.

I'm looking for a pair of bluetooth headphones and have settled on either the AKG Y50BT or the Audio Technica ATH-SR5BTBK.

I currently have a pair of 10 year old ATH-A900s, which are approaching the end of their life, and my beloved Westone 4Rs, which I hope will last forever.

My question is, coming from Westone IEMs, will I be disappointed by the sound quality of a pair of bluetooth headphones? I'm planning on using them more for use around the house and watching movies with my wife when my son is asleep but if I'm better off sticking with wires and going for a headphone splitter then I'd be open to that.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Hi headphone thread.

3 full days with the man o wars.

Battery is insane. So far I've managed a 20 hour day on it with a single 30 min mid day bump in charge.

Range is crazy. It's crystal clear through my whole house (800-900 sq ft single floor, old 2br kinda place, old rear end plaster built 100 years ago).

Sound quality obviously subjective but far better than all 3 Sony wireless headsets. Bass is super muddy if you wanna call it that. I'd say bass boos on full is too much but 1/2 isn't enough. There's an EQ and poo poo which works but I've spent zero time loving with it. Honestly I just kept the bass boost up on 100 and it sounds great 99% of the time. When some mouth breathing idiot is mouthing his mic in a game or something it really does sound like crap. So there is that as a negative.

The mic itself sounds really clear as well. There's a loopback feature which lets you monitor your own voice. Work people say I sound great, online friends say it's clear. Seems to have some noise canceling for background stuff. Seems to work.

All in all. I'd buy these again. If you want wireless, built in mic, good battery, for entertainment and you're not going to lose your mind about perfect frequency responses, you'll really like them. If you're looking for something to listen to your flac library on, I think you may be disappointed.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 21, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Just to reiterate, if you're looking for headphones, you should not buy a gaming headset. If you're looking for a gaming headset and you don't absolutely need it to be wireless, you STILL shouldn't buy a gaming headset. I'm glad you found something that works for your situation, but it's still likely a bad choice for most people.

I say this not because I'm an audiophile (i'm very much not) but because gaming headsets are just bad value. The Philips SHP-9500 is not an expensive, or even really an "audiophile" headphone, but I would challenge absolutely anyone to find a gaming headset that sounds better, regardless of price. Pair it with a Vmoda Boompro, and you have a single-cable solution that costs less than a hundred bucks, is extremely comfortable and sounds fantastic. If you need closed cans, do the same thing except with Shure SRH440 instead of the Philips. Or better yet the Audio Technica M40x if you want to do a little minor surgery on them.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 21, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

frozenpeas posted:

My question is, coming from Westone IEMs, will I be disappointed by the sound quality of a pair of bluetooth headphones? I'm planning on using them more for use around the house and watching movies with my wife when my son is asleep but if I'm better off sticking with wires and going for a headphone splitter then I'd be open to that.

Honestly, in my experience, you will probably be disappointed unless you splurge out. The only ones I've heard that I'd call great sounding are the Sennheiser Momentum wireless, which start at $250 or so for the somewhat uncomfortable on-ear version. I think really great bluetooth cans are still a year away from being affordable, sadly.

There is hope though. This little 16 dollar Mpow thing sounds crazy good: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...=mpow+bluetooth

Velcro that poo poo to a decent pair of headphones, problem solved. The fact that this thing exists, is so small and costs so little makes me wonder why it's so hard for someone to make a decent set of wireless cans, but there it is.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Lord Bude posted:

Hello Headphone Goons!

At the moment I have a very expensive set of speakers and a subwoofer plugged into a Dac/headphone amp, along with a cheap pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD449). However my lifestyle has changed and as such I very rarely use the speakers because most of my computer time takes place late at night and I don't want to disturb my relatives. So I'm considering selling the speakers and the subwoofer and using the money to buy a decent set of headphones as my primary listening device, thus my need for advice:

Budget: I'm setting a hard limit of AUD $400, but I'd prefer to spend closer to $200 unless the extra money gets me something I can't live without. I don't mind shopping at US sites like amazon if I can get the goods shipped here (It would probably still be cheaper than buying locally).

Source: I have a Dac which also functions as a headphone amp (a Styleaudio Carat-Topaz) but it's probably reaching the end of its life - I need to keep a little fan pointed at it otherwise it overheats and the sound cuts out to be replaced with static. I'll continue using that for the time being, but in a couple of years I intend to replace my PC with an iMac - hopefully I'd be able to plug whatever headphones I get directly into that but I'd also consider buying some schiit products if need be.

I don't know what's available in Australia, but I think the Audio Technica M40x is the best choice here. Most people tend to recommend the M50, but I find them a bit too V-shaped. The 40s have better mids at the expense of a less "fun" sound, and they're cheaper. Don't bother with wireless if you can help it, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck if you don't need it. You should also have enough cash left over to get a Behringer UCA 202 or 222 in case your DAC dies. The headphone amp in it is a bit wank, but thankfully the M40x are very easy to power, so it should be fine.

If you can't find the Audio Technica, I'd find a pair of Sony MDR V6 or 7506. If you're anywhere near a city with any kind of media production going on, you can probably find a good used pair since they're ubiquitous in that industry.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Just to reiterate, if you're looking for headphones, you should not buy a gaming headset. If you're looking for a gaming headset and you don't absolutely need it to be wireless, you STILL shouldn't buy a gaming headset. I'm glad you found something that works for your situation, but it's still likely a bad choice for most people.

I disagree with this.

Some people want an all in one solution. Period. Gaming headsets are that solution for those people. I understand what you're saying, I just disagree with you because its simply not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ltEVj-SDg

Good video for what I mean by mindset. This guy is ultimately the reason I pulled the trigger. And his review is dead on.

Wont argue all day. But to simply dismiss gaming headsets as a whole for "anyone in this thread' like that for the future is insane.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Plugging a Boompro into a headphone with a 3.5mm port is an all-in-one solution. One cable, one headphone, one microphone, all one unit.

Get any headphone with a non-recessed 3.5mm port like the Brainwavz HM9, or the SHP I mentioned, plug in the boompro, and you have something that is functionally indistinguishable from a special purpose "gaming headset", except that it sounds better and is cheaper.

If you need wireless, sure, get that razer thing or whatever.

If you don't need wireless, do not buy a gaming headset.

As an aside, don't ever buy a pair of headphones, gaming or otherwise, based on the idea that it'll give you "7.1 surround sound". It won't, it's physically impossible, it's a software trick at best, and it tells you the manufacturer is willing to use an outright lie to sell you their poo poo.

edit: vvv :shrug: vvv

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 22, 2016

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Plugging a Boompro into a headphone with a 3.5mm port is an all-in-one solution. One cable, one headphone, one microphone, all one unit.

Get any headphone with a non-recessed 3.5mm port like the Brainwavz HM9, or the SHP I mentioned, plug in the boompro, and you have something that is functionally indistinguishable from a special purpose "gaming headset", except that it sounds better and is cheaper.

If you need wireless, sure, get that razer thing or whatever.

If you don't need wireless, do not buy a gaming headset.

As an aside, don't ever buy a pair of headphones, gaming or otherwise, based on the idea that it'll give you "7.1 surround sound". It won't, it's physically impossible, it's a software trick at best, and it tells you the manufacturer is willing to use an outright lie to sell you their poo poo.

This post here is why this is my last post in this thread.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I run Audio Technica A700x with a clip on mic, and the mic cable clips to the headphone cable for only one effective cable. They have a long (10 foot?) cable, and fantastic sound for the price. Super comfortable for hours, since they have the wings instead of a solid band. The bass is a tiny bit light, but I knew that going in. I could have chosen M50s if I wanted more.

My brother in law dropped over 300 bucks on a well-rated gaming headset, and it is not good. The sound quality is very fatiguing, we both needed to take a break after an hour because of that. It looks nice, but that's all that it does better then my setup which cost less than half the price.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It honestly confuses me that they're so universally bad and overpriced. You would think that someone would come out with a good sounding gaming headset at a decent price and just wipe the floor with the market, but nobody has. Even Sennheiser, who you think would know better, sells a "GAME ONE" set is literally a pair of 558s with a huge fuckoff plastic mic stuck on it for an extra FIFTY dollars. Madness.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It honestly confuses me that they're so universally bad and overpriced. You would think that someone would come out with a good sounding gaming headset at a decent price and just wipe the floor with the market, but nobody has. Even Sennheiser, who you think would know better, sells a "GAME ONE" set is literally a pair of 558s with a huge fuckoff plastic mic stuck on it for an extra FIFTY dollars. Madness.

Are you talking about these?

Sennheiser PC 363D High Performance Surround Sound Gaming Headset https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008O515CK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9iKUxbK3VHHZZ

I have them paired with the xonar sound card and they sound pretty good. The kit wasn't cheap but I've had it for like 4 years now.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MarcusSA posted:

Are you talking about these?

Sennheiser PC 363D High Performance Surround Sound Gaming Headset https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008O515CK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9iKUxbK3VHHZZ

I have them paired with the xonar sound card and they sound pretty good. The kit wasn't cheap but I've had it for like 4 years now.

Yeah, they've rebranded them a few times but I think those are basically the same cans.

Don't get me wrong, 558's are great headphones, and that's a good setup you have there. I just question the value of adding $50 to the price tag for a $5 plastic microphone.

Hell, you could buy a new pair of 558s, add this thing and have the same setup for $30 less. And you could plug it right into your phone or console controller.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah, they've rebranded them a few times but I think those are basically the same cans.

Don't get me wrong, 558's are great headphones, and that's a good setup you have there. I just question the value of adding $50 to the price tag for a $5 plastic microphone.

Hell, you could buy a new pair of 558s, add this thing and have the same setup for $30 less. And you could plug it right into your phone or console controller.

:shrug: like I said I got it as part of the Asus Xonar Xense kit which has a specific setting on the audio card for the cans.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also bestbuy and Amazon have the Jaybird X2s on sale for 74.99. I picked up a set and I'm excited to try them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't know what's available in Australia, but I think the Audio Technica M40x is the best choice here. Most people tend to recommend the M50, but I find them a bit too V-shaped. The 40s have better mids at the expense of a less "fun" sound, and they're cheaper. Don't bother with wireless if you can help it, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck if you don't need it. You should also have enough cash left over to get a Behringer UCA 202 or 222 in case your DAC dies. The headphone amp in it is a bit wank, but thankfully the M40x are very easy to power, so it should be fine.

If you can't find the Audio Technica, I'd find a pair of Sony MDR V6 or 7506. If you're anywhere near a city with any kind of media production going on, you can probably find a good used pair since they're ubiquitous in that industry.

Thanks for this. I can get the m40x for $130, so that's well and truly within my budget. Would you describe them as super comfortable? That's a top priority. I'm a big headed person if that makes a difference.