Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Vasudus posted:

We would run to the arms room and get the 50s and poo poo too, we just never got ammo.

I don't know if anyone has seen what Camp Castle looks like, but it's on the side of a big loving hill. Running up that motherfucker with a 50 on your shoulder (or the goddamn tripod) loving sucked an insane amount.

when I went there it was just a warehouse full of mattresses.

The weird thing about our little stockpile is I think myself and the supply sgt were the only ones to know about it and there was never a formal briefing on what we'd actually do in case of emergency.

I figured they'd just make me drive the bongo like they always did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

so are we about to go to war with N korea again? like he's getting a bit too crazy it seems even for normal N. Korea type shenanigans.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

MurderBot posted:

so are we about to go to war with N korea again? like he's getting a bit too crazy it seems even for normal N. Korea type shenanigans.

nah there's no money in it

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
imagine the hysteria when Samsung & LG products arent readily available to american consumers

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We're installing THAAD in SK at some point in the near future, that's going to make the big fat baby really mad when he launches his little kid missiles over Japan and we shoot them down.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

imagine the hysteria when Samsung & LG products arent readily available to american consumers

Apple would probably love that

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

McNally posted:

Apple would probably love that

not until we finally listen to mccarthur and nuke the fuckers and turn china into the worlds largest parking lot :madmax: :stupidwhitetrash:

oh and I say china because I think thats where apple factories are but I could be wrong

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Blackberry would make a comeback.

:getin:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I don't think anything will help Blackberry make a comeback.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Blackberries are made in China anyway.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

spacetoaster posted:

What Lannister said. Physical Security.

If it's not in a straight up arms room vault with functioning alarm you're going to need an armed guard.

You can thank the extremists from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. They were stealing guns kept in plywood sheds and stuff.

Can confirm that if there is an alarm issue, you're going to be posting guards as well.

One thing that Uncle Sam actually gives a flying gently caress about is weapon security and accountability.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

MurderBot posted:

I don't think anything will help Palm make a comeback.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Its odd to me to think that you wouldn't store ammo with arms, but then again I only really dealt with ships and you don't have much of a choice there.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
usually armorers are really loving depressed/weird/sketchy enough that it's honestly probably for the best.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its odd to me to think that you wouldn't store ammo with arms, but then again I only really dealt with ships and you don't have much of a choice there.

maybe its a dept of the navy thing.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

usually armorers are really loving depressed/weird/sketchy enough that it's honestly probably for the best.

Think armorers are bad, try COMSEC custodians :tinfoil:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

maybe its a dept of the navy thing.

Well, rooms that can handle explodey things are very similar to rooms that are designed to keep people from stealing things. Both types of room are heavy, so on a ship, you'd want to minimize the number of them. Ergo ipso facto cum laude, combining guns with ammo.

Also, is armorer a real MOS anymore? Unit wants to send me to some sort of chuckefuck 80 hr "armorer's course" since they discovered we don't have an armorer, but we have a line for one. I was like "lol gently caress no."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Geirskogul posted:

Well, rooms that can handle explodey things are very similar to rooms that are designed to keep people from stealing things. Both types of room are heavy, so on a ship, you'd want to minimize the number of them. Ergo ipso facto cum laude, combining guns with ammo.

Also, is armorer a real MOS anymore? Unit wants to send me to some sort of chuckefuck 80 hr "armorer's course" since they discovered we don't have an armorer, but we have a line for one. I was like "lol gently caress no."

Well, there's ammo in a lot of places besides the armory on a ship. Its not the main magazine for any type of ammo, but there is always some in there because there are armed watchstanders pretty much all the time in port and some of the time underway.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

As someone who was an armorer for 1.5 years, this is correct.

Geirskogul posted:

Nope, not an MOS at all. The course counts for promotion points, but otherwise its only purpose is to slot you as an armorer on the MTOE.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
marines still have armorers. they dont really do much but lose weapons cards and miscount serialized gear.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Guy I was going to school with was an Armorer in the Navy. He ended up getting deployed to Afghanistan with an Army unit, working depot level repairs.

You couldn't pay me enough to be one.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Guy I was going to school with was an Armorer in the Navy. He ended up getting deployed to Afghanistan with an Army unit, working depot level repairs.

You couldn't pay me enough to be one.

There's the green weenie, then there's getting tag-teamed by both the green one and the blue one (or whatever the navy calls it when they get hosed 7 ways from sunday)

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

Europe Army = the only way to Army. We need to make the Cold War great again.

Best 3 tours I did out of my whole 20 years.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

don't do it because you'll never leave the arms room ever again if you take that course and don't completely gently caress it up. Like forever the rest of your time at that duty station at least

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's not necessarily a bad thing depending on whatever dumb poo poo your unit does.

I mean it sucks but things can definitely suck worse.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
think of courses in the army like college.

will the course give you a specific trade that others in your unit don't have (armorer, master gunner, etc etc)? don't do it!!!

although most of the armorers i saw would just disappear all day and if they were in the arms room they were usually sleeping. being an armorer on deployment seemed like it sucked.

but if you get offered to take the DLAB doooo iiiiitttt

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

not caring here posted:

That's not necessarily a bad thing depending on whatever dumb poo poo your unit does.

I mean it sucks but things can definitely suck worse.

if you like what you're doing already DONT DO IT

if you hate what youre doing and want more hours then DO IT

i'm just basing this on one of my soldiers who got tagged with it. I legit fell bad for the dude because they were always loving with him but what can you do when it's some big loving inspection that they put off until the last second because of "training" or whatever

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
when my platoon sergeant found out i can type at a halfway decent speed with decent english and not too many typos i basically became the platoon secretary.

seriously, think really long and hard about any special skills you have/could acquire that your comrades don't have. sometimes being set apart from the pack sucks.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
driving a manual will gently caress you if you ever go oconus maybe

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

TBeats posted:

when my platoon sergeant found out i can type at a halfway decent speed with decent english and not too many typos i basically became the platoon secretary.

seriously, think really long and hard about any special skills you have/could acquire that your comrades don't have. sometimes being set apart from the pack sucks.

unless its loving combatives, dudes that got into my one unit were so idolized by the command and basically got like free reign to hang out in the gym all day "practicing" for the post combatives tournament lol

god drat combatives or whatever they called it is dumb as gently caress

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Syrian Lannister posted:

One thing that Uncle Sam actually gives a flying gently caress about is anything that makes them look retarded in the media, but can actually be directly prevented

:downs:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I was level 2 certified at some point. Or whatever the gently caress the next one up is.

Which basically was just a week spent at brigade getting beat up a whole bunch.

I never taught a class.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TBeats posted:

Sometimes it's good. Just try and think about how your skill can get you special treatment. For example: I speak/read/write russian. I use that to get over to Europe whenever anybody is going and it makes me seem smarter than I really am among other senior officers.

driving a manual will gently caress you if you ever go oconus maybe

Who the gently caress can't drive a manual transmission? I had one E-3 with me that couldn't do it. Guess who we made do it all the time. (we needed a DD)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I never had to drive a manual in my life. There were a few opportunities to, but none of them involved the military.

I am okay with this shortcoming.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vasudus posted:

I never had to drive a manual in my life. There were a few opportunities to, but none of them involved the military.

I am okay with this shortcoming.

You want to be a DD?

*edit* Yeah manual can be kinda intimidating but it's one of those things that once you've got the hang of it you like it better than automatic. Or at least I do.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I made the mistake of admitting I could drive manual in Bagram.

Don't be me.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The opportunity has literally never really presented itself. Nothing in the military was manual, I've always driven automatics for civ cars.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
New automatics (post 2007 for pleb cars, post 2001 for bougeoise cars) are more efficient than the best manual driver in nearly all circumstances, unless it's an econobox (with appropriate cheap slushbox) or you drive like a shitheel.

That said, being able to drive stick is a life skill that will most likely come up at some point, and opens up the used car market for you if you're like me and cheap as gently caress. It's a smart skill to have.

Which means any enlisted with that skill are like enlisted with a degree: you apparently know something about life, so why the gently caress are you in the army? There's other services.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Vasudus posted:

The opportunity has literally never really presented itself. Nothing in the military was manual, I've always driven automatics for civ cars.

its ok buddy :kiddo: I think it falls of the realm of nice to know rather than need to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SumYungGui posted:

I made the mistake of admitting I could drive manual in Bagram.

Don't be me.

Same with me on KAF. Driving a bus with a manual transmission and the driver's seat on the right side (pedals still arranged like normal though) was one of the most awkward feelings I've ever had.

• Locked thread