Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Spanish Blue division description as recorded in von Bock's diary, given by a subordinate:

quote:

‘The Spanish view grooming the horses as a bother, feeding them unnecessary. Belts and suspenders cut from new harnesses. Gas mask containers are often used as coffee pots. Dust and driving glasses are cut from the gas masks themselves. If a Spaniard has corns, he cuts appropriate holes in his shoes and boots to keep them from chafing. Rifles are often sold. New bicycles are thrown away as they find tyre repair too boring. The MG34 is often assembled with the help of a hammer. Parts left over during assembly are buried. They consider all women fair game. In Grodno there were orgies with Jewesses, who were also taken along in their vehicles.’ - Kluge refused to have them in his army - ‘are these soldiers or gypsies’.

The spirit of the 17th century lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Disinterested posted:

Spanish Blue division description as recorded in von Bock's diary, given by a subordinate:

War. War never changes.

Fangz posted:

So, um, the square bullet version of the Puckle gun might actually work and be reasonably accurate!

https://youtu.be/wFhqyvCTA1I

Huh. Cool.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Disinterested posted:

rather hang out with them than with nazis

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

rather hang out with them than with nazis

They were veterans and held up extremely well under fire.

Everything else - not so much.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GAL posted:

But when they get to Prague, every request they make fails. There is no money for the troops, whether or not the Hungarians are heading toward Moravia. ...

When he recovers from those and his hand wound, [Wallenstein] discovers that the Bohemian Staende have decided to dismiss the army. They appoint him Abdankungskommissarius, "commissioner in charge of dismissal;" that spring, he goes back to Hungary and carries this out. And that was his first war experience.

What exactly does this commission entail? Does he just tell everyone to go home? Is any money found to pay them for disbandment, or do they immediately start plundering everything they can find?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

What exactly does this commission entail? Does he just tell everyone to go home? Is any money found to pay them for disbandment, or do they immediately start plundering everything they can find?
ideally, you can't dismiss them without paying them, so in the best of all possible worlds he's the guy keeping the books for that. i don't know where they found the money to dismiss the dudes, or why they found the money to dismiss them and not to keep them from dying that winter

anyway he probably enjoyed that part, i have no idea how they discovered that some rando who nearly died a whole bunch of times of literally everything while he was in prague would be good at that, but they did

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Fangz posted:

So, um, the square bullet version of the Puckle gun might actually work and be reasonably accurate!

https://youtu.be/wFhqyvCTA1I

But was the Puckle gun even rifled?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

I love the front fenders.

"Herr Schlitz, why do we not use the same fasteners all the way around so we only need to produce one?"

"That is not the German way, Karl".

The radio operator having to balance the hull MG34 on his head absolutely slays me.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SimonCat posted:

The radio operator having to balance the hull MG34 on his head absolutely slays me.

Watch his Maus review to see an actual tanker identify two issues that make the tank almost completely useless in like thirty seconds.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAL posted:

ideally, you can't dismiss them without paying them, so in the best of all possible worlds he's the guy keeping the books for that. i don't know where they found the money to dismiss the dudes, or why they found the money to dismiss them and not to keep them from dying that winter

anyway he probably enjoyed that part, i have no idea how they discovered that some rando who nearly died a whole bunch of times of literally everything while he was in prague would be good at that, but they did

I'm going to hazard a guess that it was because he was going to go back there anyways and they didn't want to deal with the problem themselves. Better to send him back with a new job than to round up someone else to go down there and do it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess that it was because he was going to go back there anyways and they didn't want to deal with the problem themselves. Better to send him back with a new job than to round up someone else to go down there and do it.
this almost dead slightly-post-teen is the perfect choice

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAL posted:

Probably notably more disposable than your wife's third youngest brother who you finally broke in as a secretary.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Probably notably more disposable than your wife's third youngest brother who you finally broke in as a secretary.
and if he doesn't die, that's free training (there are no military academies)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

Knowing early modern court politics, they were desperate because no one wanted to take the job (because in early modern politics YOU NEVER VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING because if you do it's on your own dime until the government can be arsed to pay you back, which may not actually be during your lifetime) and Wallenstein didn't say no in time.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

Knowing early modern court politics, they were desperate because no one wanted to take the job (because in early modern politics YOU NEVER VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING because if you do it's on your own dime until the government can be arsed to pay you back, which may not actually be during your lifetime) and Wallenstein didn't say no in time.
being unconscious from two or three fatal problems at once is like accepting when the bohemian estates tell you to do a thing

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

is actually a mostly-accurate telling of the death of USS Indy.

Way late here but that's one of a couple of scenes that should have snagged Shaw an Oscar or something. Dude was robbed.

In Harm's Way was an underway book I really got into about the Indianapolis. Another was Sailors To The End about the Forrestal fire. Neither is research-grade material, but both good approachable reads if you're interested in either story.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Disinterested posted:

I feel like the Spanish and the Italians are the ones that really understood war, not the Germans, French or British.

If we take Ernest Hemmingway's A Farewell to Arms as even a little close to accurate, then the Italian soldier was a genius of avoiding death and accumulating as much booze as possible to drink while in dereliction of duty. I feel like this is a much more sensible approach to combat than dying valiantly for one's country.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

hogmartin posted:

Way late here but that's one of a couple of scenes that should have snagged Shaw an Oscar or something.

Shaw had a fair bit to do with writing that monologue as well. He didn't do the bulk of it, that was mostly Gottlieb and Sackler (who had the original idea for the scene) with a bit from Spielberg (supposedly also John Milius but he didn't really do anything other than look at it and hand it back), but after they all worked with it they gave it to Shaw, who was an accomplished playwright, to do a final revision.

Also an accomplished alcoholic, he was drunk off his rear end the first time they tried to film the scene and produced garbage. Then he sobered up for another take.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phanatic posted:

Also an accomplished alcoholic...

Endman posted:

And just like that we're back to the 30 Years War.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Jaws monologue is mostly true except for the idea that five or six hundred men were killed by sharks

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i'm pretty sure a traumatised survivor might perfectly well just sort of assume that that's what happened

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Endman posted:

I feel like the Spanish and the Italians are the ones that really understood war, not the Germans, French or British.

If we take Ernest Hemmingway's A Farewell to Arms as even a little close to accurate, then the Italian soldier was a genius of avoiding death and accumulating as much booze as possible to drink while in dereliction of duty. I feel like this is a much more sensible approach to combat than dying valiantly for one's country.

You should read Trin Tragula's ww1 blog and look for stuff referencing Emilio Lussu(you can find that stuff here), there's some serious :catstare: stuff at times.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm pretty sure a traumatised survivor might perfectly well just sort of assume that that's what happened

Yes. But it's the same thing addressed multiple times in this thread by historians, about first person accounts. Definitely a lot of sailors were attacked, and now being wounded, were bitten even more. Some were hit by big sharks and killed outright. But the idea that it was a nonstop feeding frenzy where everyone who didn't get rescued was killed by sharks isn't right.

It's perfectly in line with thoughts on sharks at the time Benchley wrote the novel, and Spielberg made the film though.

And very likely almost all the ones who drowned or drank seawater or died of exposure/dehydration or from injuries related to the explosions/sinking or went insane and were killed by their shipmates were later eaten, or partially eaten.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Elyv posted:

You should read Trin Tragula's ww1 blog and look for stuff referencing Emilio Lussu(you can find that stuff here), there's some serious :catstare: stuff at times.

Emilio Lussu posted:

One night, after drinking without excessive moderation a number of Piedmontese wines, he rode his horse into the officers’ mess, where the colonel was eating. He didn’t utter a single word, but his horse, which seemed to have a perfect knowledge of military hierarchy, proceeded to whinny and prance around the colonel for the longest time.

C'est magnifique, mais c'est ne pas la guerre!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Endman posted:

I disagree with your earlier assessment that the French don't understand war.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Disinterested posted:

Seriously, they don't take care of their horses? Like how do you assemble a division in 1940s Span without recruiting people that know taking care of animals is important.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Monocled Falcon posted:

Seriously, they don't take care of their horses? Like how do you assemble a division in 1940s Span without recruiting people that know taking care of animals is important.

This is just after the Spanish Civil War, so many of them may not have originally been in a position to need to tend horses, but were tossed into a scratch division and sent to the Germans as-is.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Did a little reading and while most Spanish Blue Division soldiers were experienced professionals, there's nothing to suggest most of them were capable of tending to animals. Given the slapdash nature of assembling a volunteer force like this, it could very well have been a case of too many cooks in the kitchen, or too many combat veterans in the logistics battalion, as it were.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Or this account is complete bollocks from a disgruntled German.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Grand Prize Winner posted:

my grandma gave somewhere around 20 grand over the course of her life (no joke), thanks Monsignor Barry. We could have used that money for more good booze at her wake!

No joke, the monsignor had connections and regularly collected support money for the cause from old Irish folks in our diocese.

Maybe she funded a kneecapping!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Maybe she funded a kneecapping!
Don't be silly.

Drill bits are cheap.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Monocled Falcon posted:

I suspect these reports were exaggerated as they went up the chain of command.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Arquinsiel posted:

Don't be silly.

Drill bits are cheap.

Well maybe she funded all the kneecappings.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Endman posted:

The accounts of that division being undisciplined and a mess are universal from the German sources as presented, as is the verdict they were also good at fighting.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The French Legion of Volunteers meanwhile took a million years to turn up to the front and then exploded and was never allowed back.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Disinterested posted:

The French Legion of Volunteers meanwhile took a million years to turn up to the front and then exploded and was never allowed back.
Reminds me of the Irish nationalists that went to Spain to help Franco. Brought no gear so Germany equipped them with dyed green M1935 uniforms and Kar 98s enough to sort the whole Battalion, which immediately marched up a hill, engaged in some spirited but ineffective friendly fire then marched back down and stood around guarding stuff until they were sent home before the war ended.

Those competent fuckers are the party in government now :negative:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Endman posted:

I doubt it. The DA veterans were formerly various falange/carlist/fascist youth corps, and while they had combat experience, actual training could vary wildly.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Endman posted:

lussu and my dudes "get" each other

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Disinterested posted:

undisciplined and a mess ... also good at fighting.
:toot:
seriously, the number of historians who study the 17th century who assume that drill off the battlefield leads to professionalism on it is depressingly high. then they're surprised when this happens, note the "despite" here:

once again, i blame Gustav Adolph and heck, let's just throw Maurice of Nassau in there too

edit: weren't the french cavalry in the Napoleonic Wars notorious for not taking care of their horses, or is that me remembering reading Sharpe books as a child?

edit 2: that quote is also interesting because "the Italian party" [of generals] is a delicate way of saying "dudes who were up to their necks in the Wallenstein Affair"

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Holy poo poo, i'm reading an account of the 1870 Battle of Sedan and von Moltke the Elder nearly fucks up the battle several times because he simply cannot believe that the French would be that stupid.

At one point he hears about a French army moving from Paris towards Sedan, putting themselves in ideal position to be cut off from their supply line by the Prussians. He thinks this must be a ruse and issues no orders until the next day when he gets confirmation of the maneuver by reading about it in a French newspaper.