Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pharma R&D. Actual science poo poo yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Pharma R&D. Actual science poo poo yo.

oh man are you trying to be TCC Mod or just start your own stickied thread

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

oh man are you trying to be TCC Mod or just start your own stickied thread

nooooope

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_immunotherapy

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

a lot of those words looked like things I'd order from china and shove up my butt if you told me it was ok

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

None of it goes up your butt but sometimes I need to take things out of your butt for my job.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Oh poo poo, that's p awesome. Very exciting field to be in at the moment, I imagine.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

You know what? I'm good with a bachelors for right now.

Real talk: unless you're really interested in research and teaching and want to jump straight into a PhD program, spend some time out in the workforce figuring out what you're interested in professionally and then go for your master's. You'll have a better understand of how you'd use it in your profession, and if you want to go the part-time route, you can double dip with your employer's tuition assistance AND any remaining GI bill benefits you have.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is it worth devoting the time and energy to do varsity sports? I'm 25 which is pretty ancient compared to some of the kids coming out of high school school but I put in 2-3 hours of gym time a day training for Invictus. Would competing September-May be worth being schooled by 19 year old future-Olympians?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
If you think it would be a good use of your time then yea go for it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Is it worth devoting the time and energy to do varsity sports? I'm 25 which is pretty ancient compared to some of the kids coming out of high school school but I put in 2-3 hours of gym time a day training for Invictus. Would competing September-May be worth being schooled by 19 year old future-Olympians?

I was a college athlete for a year. Depending upon the sport and the NCAA division, the obligation can be pretty nuts. My specific sport's off-season training regiment (division I men's track and field) was typically 2-3 hours of morning calisthenics and weight training five days a week, and afternoon practice 4 days a week. There were also smaller invitational meets we'd go to just for practice. During the season, the tempo increased to practice 6 days a week during non-competition weeks. There was mandatory study hall 5 nights a week for all freshmen and people who had a GPA below 3.0. Ultimately, I came down with mono and had to choose between ROTC, which was paying for my education, and track, which wasn't, so I dropped out at the end of my freshman year.

With that being said, the benefits are great too. The athletes were some of the more grounded and friendly people at my university of otherwise wealthy, white New Englanders, and the community was pretty close-knit. We had our own exclusive weight room that we only shared with one other sports team. We also had personal trainers, nutritionists, physical therapists, and doctors available at our disposal, plus we got free equipment.

In all, it was a good experience and I wish I could have stuck with it. Just be prepared for a much more serious time investment than a highschool varsity sport.

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 12, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gently caress it, might as well go for it. The perks sound pretty good, and I don't have much else to do with my time. Was there a big gap in performance between the younger and older guys?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Frosted Flake posted:

Do it since it's a lot of fun even if you're old as poo poo. Just work your rear end off. It's probably the last chance you'll ever get to p[lay a competitive sport.

I'm 31 and play D3 hockey.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

gently caress it, might as well go for it. The perks sound pretty good, and I don't have much else to do with my time. Was there a big gap in performance between the younger and older guys?

It depends upon the sport, probably. Men in their late 20s typically outperform men in their early 20s in pretty much anything requiring strength.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
You could be like Nate Boyer and make the NFL
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterprise-boyer160615/why-former-texas-longhorn-seattle-seahawk-green-beret-stop-searching

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
if you play a sport that people at your school care about your dick will never be dry. dick'll be all pruney looking

App13
Dec 31, 2011

That's why I do fencing; fast cars and faster women

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh my god, my English teacher is ranting about the dairy industry and how they're massively conspiratorial and trying to push cow milk on people.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Be sure to absolutely rip them apart on evaluations. Adjuncts need good evals to keep their contracts renewing, and tenure-track professors need them to get tenure.

If they have tenure lol @ you.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vasudus posted:

Be sure to absolutely rip them apart on evaluations. Adjuncts need good evals to keep their contracts renewing, and tenure-track professors need them to get tenure.

If they have tenure lol @ you.

Oh I will. Her incompetence is astounding. At one point she wanted to impress us by letting us know that she actually read a paper a student wrote.

I've gone through some chat logs from the past few weeks with my brother where I discuss my English class and I think that all of the following messages give a little bit of insight into my average day.

quote:

My teacher is holding up a magazine article about a fat mouse and asking how many of us are like that

I guess we're trying to discern the difference between information or argument

Oh god the nurse is going off on a tangent now

Oh Jesus now the old guy is weighing in

Lol my teacher can starve herself and still be fat wtf how does metabolism and diet work?

Lol my teacher is no closer to curing her type two diabetes through holistic methods than when she started twenty years ago

Gene fear mongering now

Because there's a lot of bacteria in your gut your gut reaction is really your gut thinking for you rather than a figure of speech

Now we're listening to an essay about hydrotherapy

Did you know 70% of the human body is water?

Or that 70% of the earth's surface is water?

Hydrotherapy is effective because of the abundance of water on earth and in your body

Lol because Buddhists are stereotyped as calm then they're scientific experts in relaxation

Also, the word toxins comes up a lot

Oh god now it's homeopathy

Jesus Christ my class is retarded and can't tell the basic difference between argument and information

Another essay, but this one is the idea that consciousness is interconnected between all life and thought can change reality

Lol wtf now it's about quantum mechanics

Oh poo poo loving CERN now

Now my teacher is trying to convince us that because quantum mechanics exists therefore Eastern philosophies are grounded entirely in proof and everything is real

We're comparing a picture of a snowflake that apparently had Mozart played to it versus one that listened to heavy metal

Oh and one had mean words written on the bottle

Okay here we go with the full crazy

Thinking nice things makes the water in your body feel good and makes you healthy and also influences your genes by controlling them through good intent which creates positive energy fields

Hahahaha by thinking that you're happy you attract good things that alter your reality

Oh boy now we're breaking into groups to go over past papers

Yay spiritualism, I get to read about the twelve step program

Lol old guy is in the group reading about sexuality

"Premarital sex is a sin"

"It's not just for procreation anymore"

"Back in my generation"

"True Christianity Improves Society"

Did you know that the socio-economic status of any country is directly related to whether or not that country practices church-centered or Christ-centered Christianity?

Jesus Christ I hate any person that uses a dictionary definition to make their argument

Like motherfucker, the meanings of words change

Lol of course they cite the loving Bible

"Cali, Colombia was one city that really needed Christianity in order to end the rule of crime and restore morality"

I'm reading a paper about penis size and sexual satisfaction now

This dude in my class is talking about how many calories he's burnt during sex and that it's way more than the average

This was one day in my class. I'm going to miss it when it's over.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
High time someone goes after Big Dairy

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
school is emailing me like a mofo for payment, which isn't do for a week. I hope VA gets my stuff done :ohdear:

edit: checked my mail yay it came

How does the book stipend even work y'all?

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 15, 2016

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Should just be direct deposited at some point soon after the VA certifies your enrollment. It's a max of $1000/year but they pay it out based on enrollment, so if you stack a bunch of classes in the Fall you'll get more than $500 but less in the Spring.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

school is emailing me like a mofo for payment, which isn't do for a week. I hope VA gets my stuff done :ohdear:

edit: checked my mail yay it came

if you're using the gi bill, you'll get a direct deposit and you can spend the money where ever you want, however you want.

If you're on voc rehab, your counselor will setup an account for you and you'll mention you using voc rehab when you pick up your books at the school bookstore. There may be a special line/window for people that use voc rehab or other financial aid to pay for books.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My wife had her certification received by the VA on July 25th. She got her book stipend last week. Now we're just waiting for the VA to pay the school the tuition that is due. No idea the timetable on that though. I think the book stipend always comes in before the payment to the school though.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
ah a lump sum nice, I think I was confused with VR which was an account. Thanks

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Weirdly in grad school it's not a lump sum though. Due to the way credits work when completely off the semester/quarter system, I get my book payment in monthly installments of $95, which is fine with me.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Just think, we sort of almost had President Bernie to formalize the Education-Military-Industrial-Congressional complex by making higher ed free.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

No Butt Stuff posted:

My wife had her certification received by the VA on July 25th. She got her book stipend last week. Now we're just waiting for the VA to pay the school the tuition that is due. No idea the timetable on that though. I think the book stipend always comes in before the payment to the school though.

Usually schools wait until the last drop date to do their census, then they notify the VA of your enrollment, then VA pays. You can probably have your enrollment confirmed early if you talk to the military advisor or whatever on campus.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Grem posted:

Usually schools wait until the last drop date to do their census, then they notify the VA of your enrollment, then VA pays. You can probably have your enrollment confirmed early if you talk to the military advisor or whatever on campus.

Yep, this was it. Wife said she e-mailed the VA person at the school and that she doesn't send anything until the first week of classes.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
I'm looking into my prospects for when I get out in a year. But why is distance MHA so lovely? It would be significantly cheaper to go to a local school, but I'd have to completely change programs and start over on new masters.

edit: On a related note. Anyone have experience with UT Austin's MBA program? Seems like a top notch program if I wanted to go that route.

AFStealth fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 17, 2016

Ravens Ruse
Aug 17, 2016

I'm new.... I have no clue and frequently state the obvious
not sure if anyone posted this but generally the rule is half your age plus 7, so for an 18 year old the maximum age would be 22 (11 plus 7)

don't worry it gets better as you get older.

If you're 50 the minimum is 32 (25 plus 7)

and if you 70 you can go for a 42 year old LOL

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Ravens Ruse posted:

not sure if anyone posted this but generally the rule is half your age plus 7, so for an 18 year old the maximum age would be 22 (11 plus 7)

Meh

LOL

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ravens Ruse posted:

What the gently caress is this bush league bullshit?

Ravens Ruse
Aug 17, 2016

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What the gently caress is this bush league bullshit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_disparity_in_sexual_relationships

quote:

The "half-your-age-plus-seven" rule

Graph of the half-age-plus-seven rule
The "never date anyone under half your age plus seven" rule is a rule of thumb sometimes used to prejudge whether an age difference is socially acceptable.[20][21][22] Although the origin of the rule is unclear, it is sometimes considered to have French origin.[20]

In earlier sources, the rule had a different interpretation than in contemporary culture, as it was understood as a formula to calculate ideal age for the bride, instead of a lower limit for the suitable age. Max O'Rell's Her Royal Highness Woman from 1901 gives the rule in the format "A man should marry a woman half his age, plus seven."[23] Similar interpretation is also present in the 1951 play The Moon Is Blue by F. Hugh Herbert.[24]

The half-your-age-plus seven rule also appears in John Fox, Jr.'s The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come in 1903,[25] in American newspapers in 1931, attributed to Maurice Chevalier,[26] and in The Autobiography of Malcolm X.[27]

In modern times this rule has been criticised as being more accurate for men than women, and for allowing a greater maximum age for a woman's partner later in her life than is actually socially acceptable.[28]

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
just slay anything >= 18

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

By date we mean bang, bone, sex, or gently caress. No one "dates" an 18 year old.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Please post photos of your cutting scars tia

Ravens Ruse
Aug 17, 2016

Grem posted:

By date we mean bang, bone, sex, or gently caress. No one "dates" an 18 year old.

my bad

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just finished my stats final. It seemed too easy, I hope I didn't gently caress it all up.

• Locked thread