Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Electric Hobo posted:

Here in Denmark, everybody in a business to business chain pays VAT, but then everybody gets to subtract what they paid from what was paid to them. Then everybody pays the difference to the government.
And we have to start doing it if our business' turnover is about $8000.

As a yank, this was my understanding of it too, considering it's called a Value Added Tax you'd assume it'd tax added value at each step. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-added_tax

Apparently Brits are just weird enough about it to justify a separate Wikipedia article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-added_tax_(United_Kingdom)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
20% sales tax is loving absurd

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

20% sales tax is loving absurd

That's Tories for you :smith:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Not much better here, we've got it at about 17-18% IIRC.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Meanwhile, the highest combined sales tax rates in the US are just a hair under 10% and that is considered ridiculous by most of the country.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Zurui posted:

Meanwhile, the highest combined sales tax rates in the US are just a hair under 10% and that is considered ridiculous by most of the country.
It is ridiculous with the rest of the availavble tax structures. Sales tax is one of the most regressive taxes. The born-poor person and the born-rich person eat the same number of sandwiches per week. The poor-person loses a much larger relative portion of their income to fill the need for food, and then a larger relative portion of their income to pay tax on that food. The rich person doesnt notice.

Inheritance taxes are (one example of) an opposite effect. They tax the wealthy while leaving the poor (mostly) alone. Unfortunately the rich lobby better than the poor. Weird.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
My country is regressive in a lot of ways unfortunately. :(

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

1998 wants their 3D effects back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FRINGE posted:

It is ridiculous with the rest of the availavble tax structures. Sales tax is one of the most regressive taxes. The born-poor person and the born-rich person eat the same number of sandwiches per week. The poor-person loses a much larger relative portion of their income to fill the need for food, and then a larger relative portion of their income to pay tax on that food. The rich person doesnt notice.

I don't know how things are in the States, but in the UK food and clothes are exempt from sales tax. This is what stops it being a de facto regressive tax.

Also, if you think 20% is an absurd rate: it's actually lower than the EU average which is about 22%. Hungary has a 27% VAT rate.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jedit posted:

I don't know how things are in the States, but in the UK food and clothes are exempt from sales tax. This is what stops it being a de facto regressive tax.

Also, if you think 20% is an absurd rate: it's actually lower than the EU average which is about 22%. Hungary has a 27% VAT rate.
There are a lot more things than food and cloths that are required for life, and it is a regressive tax no matter how you cut it, unless you put a minimum of like 100 dollars at least on it.

Also in the US food is exempt from the sales tax too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

There are a lot more things than food and cloths that are required for life, and it is a regressive tax no matter how you cut it, unless you put a minimum of like 100 dollars at least on it.

Also in the US food is exempt from the sales tax too.

It depends, I believe in where you live in the US as individual states, counties and cities can apply their own sales tax that may or may not be tax exempt.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Paranoia pdfs are going out to backers for anyone dumb enough to stay in

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I work at a grocery store and can confirm that at least in two states, food gets hit with sales tax. It's a lower percentage than non-food purchases though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Huh I figured that was a nation wide thing. I guess I just live in one of the 31 not garbage states.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just had a Facebook memory of someone linking me to the Far West kickstarter from 5 years ago. It was such a great idea, I just had to back it!

Ah, memories. :unsmith:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Little_wh0re posted:

Paranoia pdfs are going out to backers for anyone dumb enough to stay in

I backed this as I was just starting to get back into the hobby and I'd always wanted to play Paranoia. What's so terrible about it?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I don't actually think its too bad but the art is.... not great

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The early rules previews looked really loving bad, too. To a degree where some of the cards didn't actually have rules on them, just a dumb picture with some flavor text and no way to resolve it in-game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jedit posted:

Clothes are not exempt. Kids' clothes are, adults' ones aren't.

And theoretically, non-luxury items are exempt, whilst luxury items pay. But cake is not a luxury, whilst biscuits are.

And helicopters are not a luxury, whilst teaching facilities are.

Our country is hilariously hosed.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Don't know about anywhere else, but down here women's sanitary items are still a luxury, because the politicians get red in the face and refuse to talk about woman things when people push for change.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Clothes are not exempt. Kids' clothes are, adults' ones aren't.

And theoretically, non-luxury items are exempt, whilst luxury items pay. But cake is not a luxury, whilst biscuits are.

And helicopters are not a luxury, whilst teaching facilities are.

Our country is hilariously hosed.

Isn't it the other way round with cakes and biscuits which led to the legal thing to get Jaffa cakes classified as the biscuits we all know them to be

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

NTRabbit posted:

Don't know about anywhere else, but down here women's sanitary items are still a luxury, because the politicians get red in the face and refuse to talk about woman things when people push for change.

Illinois only just eliminated the tampon tax earlier this year, it's basically the only good thing that has happened at the state level since our idiot gently caress of a governor was elected.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

glitchkrieg posted:

I backed this as I was just starting to get back into the hobby and I'd always wanted to play Paranoia. What's so terrible about it?

It's a lesser Paranoia than any of the other ones that came before it, even the super lovely one that everyone involved with the license disowns.

It's super bad looking on its own merits, too. I mean, I know Paranoia is supposed to be a comedy game, but it always had a solid if uninspiring ruleset.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Mojo Jojo posted:

Isn't it the other way round with cakes and biscuits which led to the legal thing to get Jaffa cakes classified as the biscuits we all know them to be

Nope, they got classed as cakes which allowed them to be 0% VAT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes#Categorisation_as_cake_or_biscuit_for_VAT

Apparently a major plant of the decision was that they harden when stale like a cake, unlike biscuits which soften when stale.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

rantmo posted:

Illinois only just eliminated the tampon tax earlier this year, it's basically the only good thing that has happened at the state level since our idiot gently caress of a governor was elected.

That's because your state spent all their money on O'hara. I literally ran the entire airport trying to make flights last night and that thing was HUGE. Terminal 3 looked pretty new.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Mr.Trifecta posted:

That's because your state spent all their money on O'hara. I literally ran the entire airport trying to make flights last night and that thing was HUGE. Terminal 3 looked pretty new.

Oh, O'Hare is a shitshow (always fly to/from Midway) but our terrible financial condition is based on far more than just one airport. We're a complete disaster since way back.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

For anybody complaining about VAT, I'd be perfectly happy to trade you as decent medial coverage is 10+% of an average family's net income (and that's not including copays/deductables/etc), our college costs are staggering and force most students into 20K+ of debt, our social services suck rear end, and we jail motherfuckers at the drop of a hat.

But yeah, I save 20% on games.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
You guys call cookies "biscuits". :barf: You can keep your stupid VATS.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

they're two different things.

E: british people are serious about their puddings

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 18, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Crackbone posted:

For anybody complaining about VAT, I'd be perfectly happy to trade you as decent medial coverage is 10+% of an average family's net income (and that's not including copays/deductables/etc), our college costs are staggering and force most students into 20K+ of debt, our social services suck rear end, and we jail motherfuckers at the drop of a hat.

But yeah, I save 20% on games.

If you think that American politicians would put increased regressive taxes toward a progressive policy I have a bridge to sell you.

They'd probably do like Texas and eliminate state income tax due to their high sales tax. You know gently caress the poor.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Especially black pudding. Yum.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

potatocubed posted:

Especially black pudding. Yum.

Sticky toffee pudding. Gaze upon our desserts, ye fatties, and despair.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Swagger Dagger posted:

It's a lesser Paranoia than any of the other ones that came before it, even the super lovely one that everyone involved with the license disowns.

It's super bad looking on its own merits, too. I mean, I know Paranoia is supposed to be a comedy game, but it always had a solid if uninspiring ruleset.

Balls. Are there any ways of getting the other versions?

It was one of the first Kickstarters I went all in on, I'm now a lot warier about what I back...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Cookies are cookies and biscuits are biscuits, it's not exactly hard.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

glitchkrieg posted:

Balls. Are there any ways of getting the other versions?

It was one of the first Kickstarters I went all in on, I'm now a lot warier about what I back...

DTRPG has PDFs.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

You use biscuits to make pudding? Blech!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I am a blank blank of the order of blank, who blanks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Can I just say that the Numenera marketing bullet-point of it being an easy system to create a character with is bullshit? "I am an [ADJECTIVE] [NOUN] who [VERB]s" isn't actually simple if each of those words carries with it half-a-dozen mechanical interactions that you have to look up and cross-reference with each other anyway.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Edit: Really meant to post this in the Industry thread.

Monte Cook isn't a cookie, he's fruit and cake.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 18, 2016

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

At least, not once the biscuits have gone stale. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm sorry, I meant cake. How the gently caress can you confuse cake with a biscuit?

Is jaffa cake more like a coffee cake, where it's crumbly and tastes good or does it taste like a biscuit, which is dry and has no flavor save for the taste of vomit in the back of your throat? If it's the later, how the hell are they still in business?

Maybe I just find it funny that people like the taste of biscuits period.