Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Greatest ROH Champion
This poll is closed.
Lethal 28 47.46%
Rowe 1 1.69%
HANSON 17 28.81%
Pitbull 13 22.03%
Total: 59 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
Pretty sure Larry ran the merch support site for ROH. He did some on camera work but the man was meant for ring announcing but Bobby Cruise has that spot in ROH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

JOHN CENA posted:

like, roh still has really good in ring product, and the storylines aren't BAD, but there just doesn't seem to be anything there to make me turn on my tv on saturdays. it just doesn't feel special.

For me, I find ROH's show is the one can't miss. I'd rather watch one random ROH program than a WWE PPV.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

For me, I find ROH's show is the one can't miss. I'd rather watch one random ROH program than a WWE PPV.

To each their own, fair play, etc. but this is baffling to me. ROH's TV has been better over the last say, month, but before that it was on a streak of...not poo poo, but nothing remarkable, and WWE PPVs are the one consistently good thing about their product IMO. The last bad PPV was, hilariously, WrestleMania, but before that I can't even tell you when the last bad WWE PPV was.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

is that why larry flipped his poo poo on some other ROH dude awhile ago on twitter?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
What was that?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

SamuraiFoochs posted:

To each their own, fair play, etc. but this is baffling to me. ROH's TV has been better over the last say, month, but before that it was on a streak of...not poo poo, but nothing remarkable, and WWE PPVs are the one consistently good thing about their product IMO. The last bad PPV was, hilariously, WrestleMania, but before that I can't even tell you when the last bad WWE PPV was.

WWE PPVs and RoH PPVs are both pretty much guaranteed very good wrestling, funnily enough I'd say they actually have the same problem for the past few months, good wrestling but it seems like the stories are often going nowhere. RoH TV and Raw/Smackdown both have issues with this, it just feels like a lot of the shows don't matter and at least with Raw before the last few weeks you often weren't guaranteed any good matches either

RoH has the Jay Lethal out of title contenders/let's just throw some NJPW guys in and hope no one notices we're out of ideas for him problem, while WWE (getting better lately I'll admit) still often seems stuck in the 'ever feud must span 3 ppvs, one guy will win 1, one will win 2, therefore the earlier matches don't really matter' booking pattern. I mean, WWE has a gigantic roster and it seems they run out of fresh matches for top guys in 6 weeks, at least it took RoH months to do so for Lethal.

Not that I didn't enjoy Cesaro/Sheamus but the fuckers are going to have wrestled 10+ times on TV/PPV before too long. God drat.

Obviously it helps RoH a lot that they're filling like 20 fewer hours per month...

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I watch ROH for good wrestling and if the storytelling is good too, awesome, but if not, it doesn't significantly take away from the product for me.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

I watch ROH for good wrestling and if the storytelling is good too, awesome, but if not, it doesn't significantly take away from the product for me.

I used to be able to watch ROH like that but not anymore and I'm not sure why.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is pretty much it for me, as well as ROH being a very good live product that comes to Toronto often enough with the NJPW folks in tow. If it doesn't have great stories, I'm not mad.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I used to be able to watch ROH like that but not anymore and I'm not sure why.

I feel similarly and I think that it has to do with the prevalence of good wrestling everywhere. WWE has great wrestlers on the roster, NJPW is easily accessed, local indies even have ridiculous quality in the right market. ROH has lost its niche in my mind and I need a good story to make the good wrestling feel like it matters.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I feel similarly and I think that it has to do with the prevalence of good wrestling everywhere. WWE has great wrestlers on the roster, NJPW is easily accessed, local indies even have ridiculous quality in the right market. ROH has lost its niche in my mind and I need a good story to make the good wrestling feel like it matters.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. NJPW has great matches and has a big time feel. WWE has a lot of the workers I loved in ROH, working great matches. ROH can't rely on being "that company you go to for good in ring action" anymore, and I'm not sure what they're left with.

Like every company, they need a real star to draw people in, that you can't see elsewhere. Lethal is cool but he's not that dude for me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

For me, however, when I tune into ROH, I know I'm going to get great wrestling. RAW can't match that, despite the talent they have.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I'm in the same boat. NJPW has great matches and has a big time feel. WWE has a lot of the workers I loved in ROH, working great matches. ROH can't rely on being "that company you go to for good in ring action" anymore, and I'm not sure what they're left with.

Like every company, they need a real star to draw people in, that you can't see elsewhere. Lethal is cool but he's not that dude for me.

ROH: We're not TNA!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

For me, however, when I tune into ROH, I know I'm going to get great wrestling. RAW can't match that, despite the talent they have.

I thought you were saying ROH TV vs. a WWE PPV.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I thought you were saying ROH TV vs. a WWE PPV.

WWE's PPVs and RAWs are basically interchangeable at this point

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

WWE's PPVs and RAWs are basically interchangeable at this point

Um....no? What are you on? I don't remember the last WWE show other than Mania 32 that didn't have one 4*+ match on it. WWE PPVs have been legit really loving good since, say,, Mania 31.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

triplexpac posted:

Evolve is also probably hurting them a little bit too, especially when they make Matt Riddle champ because there's your star draw right there

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
I know ROH is focused on the flyers now with the CMLL agreement but Rush vs a Briscoe might be my biggest dream match right now.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

After you factor out the NJPW contingent, ROH's biggest draw are the Briscoes. Jay's a great hand but they don't have anyone big name enough on the singles side to make it worthwhile to take the belt off him.

Plus they're also hurting on the angles side too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd assume the plan is, Cole wins title, holds it for a while, eventually loses it to O' Reilly.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd assume the plan is, Cole wins title, holds it for a while, eventually loses it to O' Reilly.

They really should have had Cole win it in the triple threat months ago and be close to having O'Reilly win the title by now. The holding pattern they were in during the spring and summer was awful, whether it was the result of Lethal politicking, the shakeups going on backstage, or whatever else.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm glad Lethal held it longer as his local hero title defenses were really fun. Cole doesn't need to hold it long to drop it to our boy Tanahashi one on one.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yep

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
ROH's PPV is going to be streaming live on NJPW World.

In Japan only. unless you use VPNs

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I'd be really curious to find out how many Japanese fans have enough interest to stream an ROH show, even one with NJPW guys on it. I'd probably watch a lot more New Japan if their shows came on at 10 AM rather than in the middle of the night.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'd be really curious to find out how many Japanese fans have enough interest to stream an ROH show, even one with NJPW guys on it. I'd probably watch a lot more New Japan if their shows came on at 10 AM rather than in the middle of the night.

There were a few weeks where more people were watching the CMLL Friday night show on New Japan World than for free on youtube

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Marty Scurll signed with ROH (I am very into this)

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/767814093000540160

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

^ Beat me to it!

Apparently Marty Scurll has signed with ROH and will start on the Reach for the Sky tour. Was a bit doubtful of getting tickets since they were pretty expensive, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet now since I'm moving to London. Will be my 3rd country seeing ROH in.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Woooow that's a really surprising get, I hadn't heard any connection of Marty to ROH at all. That's a great fit though, ROH TV really needs more guys that can sell storylines and Marty's got the personality to do that in spades.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That's great news for ROH, now sign Corey Hollis and Jon Gresham

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Anyone going to Field of Honor? I get weekends off for the next few weeks and there is a lot right across from the stadium so I can go with my knee in the shape it is.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Anyone going to Field of Honor? I get weekends off for the next few weeks and there is a lot right across from the stadium so I can go with my knee in the shape it is.

I wish I could but I ended up getting roped into another Vegas trip at a price I couldn't refuse.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Go to this instead

https://twitter.com/Toffile/status/767887548010160129

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Is Cody going to pay me?

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016
Adam Cole winning the title and going over to Japan next month should kill all these rules or something that he will leave for WWE at the end of they year. No point in these hints happening if he is going to WWE. I don't buy any of this talk at all that Cole, the Bucks, Lethal, Fish and O'Reilly are all going to leave for WWE when the their deals are up. At best only one will go if even that. Besides what I said about Cole, with the Bucks it's all about how much they make, creative freedom and merchandise money. Fish and O'Reilly are top acts in ROH and will be going heavyweight in New Japan. Lethal feels like someone who is a lifer for ROH.

Plus, ROH now has an extra added perk with the CMLL relationship in addition to New Japan.

Not sure where people keep getting all this WWE talk from with these guys, especially this talk of most or all these names going all at once

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Roque11 posted:

Adam Cole winning the title and going over to Japan next month should kill all these rules or something that he will leave for WWE at the end of they year. No point in these hints happening if he is going to WWE. I don't buy any of this talk at all that Cole, the Bucks, Lethal, Fish and O'Reilly are all going to leave for WWE when the their deals are up. At best only one will go if even that. Besides what I said about Cole, with the Bucks it's all about how much they make, creative freedom and merchandise money. Fish and O'Reilly are top acts in ROH and will be going heavyweight in New Japan. Lethal feels like someone who is a lifer for ROH.

Plus, ROH now has an extra added perk with the CMLL relationship in addition to New Japan.

Not sure where people keep getting all this WWE talk from with these guys, especially this talk of most or all these names going all at once

Is this like when Quack told people to post on chikarafans?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The Bucks I could see leaving because they've done all they could in the Indy's and Japan at this point; WWE has also had its eyes on Cole for a long time. If WWE wants someone they can usually get him/her.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Yeah the departures are still happening. The grievances are still there and have gotten worse.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

rovert posted:

Yeah the departures are still happening. The grievances are still there and have gotten worse.

Yeah, but if they want to work for NJPW more than WWE, they're probably sticking around anyway.

Not that RoH having all of its biggest stars going to the Big Mike part time RoH schedule wouldn't be a disaster for them regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

rovert posted:

What are the grievances? Money? Booking/creative? Both?

• Locked thread