Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Thanks for telling me how my match making works when I have literally days in pvp...

Peak times should not mean more red bars in my lobby and more consistently tough opponents.

It should mean a greater range of skill and better connections.

Yeah dude I'm not trying to poo poo on you for your obviously frustrating experience lately, especially since you do give out a lot of good advice here, just thinking that maybe the opposite of what you guys think is happening is actually happening.

Could be that with a larger worldwide pool to choose from that's why your getting better games during peak western times. Can't really test that theory without router logs or whatever though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I am. I'm making GBS threads on you for what you said, BlindSite. I'm 3+ ranks lower than you in every gametype and I'm saying you're a wiener. So what

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Call of Cholula posted:

Yeah dude I'm not trying to poo poo on you for your obviously frustrating experience lately, especially since you do give out a lot of good advice here, just thinking that maybe the opposite of what you guys think is happening is actually happening.

Could be that with a larger worldwide pool to choose from that's why your getting better games during peak western times. Can't really test that theory without router logs or whatever though!

Yeah i was being a bit of a cranky little bitch. My apologies.

I think it might be the emphasis on speeding up the match making. Makes the skill level grabbing tighter and connections worse. Something like the lobby has 3 or four people in one bracket so it grabs the next available 8 regardless of their connection gating.

At slow times the skill spread is going to be larger so the average elo/game score/ combat rating or whatever of the lobby is probably lower overall and so it has a larger pool within its forumla to pull people resulting in better connections.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Emron posted:

I am. I'm making GBS threads on you for what you said, BlindSite. I'm 3+ ranks lower than you in every gametype and I'm saying you're a wiener. So what

1 v 1 me brah. 4 weeks time brah its on brah

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Gonna join the Bone Krew because this game is dirt cheap this week. Just need to find a place that has it in stock. :negative:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Amazon

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mill Village posted:

Gonna join the Bone Krew because this game is dirt cheap this week. Just need to find a place that has it in stock. :negative:

I think it's cheaper to just buy the new one in the collection or whatever and wait a month

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Surprisingly it isn't? Collection is $60 on Amazon, discounted game is $20 and Rise of Iron is $30

Plus you can level for the new content while you wait.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
If you have prime the collection is 48 but yeah that's weird pricing if you don't.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Banner log, day 2:

Every game is hard. And for what? Still Haven't gotten a weapon drop. I grow hoarse yelling at my television. The fish tank bubbles next to me. I look at the fish, they stare back. The filter gurgles and percolates the water in such a way that it starts to sound like it's saying "gitgudgitgudgitgud". My boobs sweat but it's 70 degrees.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

FishBulb posted:

I think it's cheaper to just buy the new one in the collection or whatever and wait a month

Meijer has TTK for $10 but they were sold out when I went there. I just need to find it at a store that will price match it.

I'd just go to Walmart, but they're loving retarded with price matching now.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Private matches are cool but where the gently caress is the theater mode that halo 3 had (and smash bros has....) It's just game data so it's really compact and there is no excuse to not have it

Hopefully we will see this in Destiny 2, if they didn't announce it for this expansion then I seriously doubt we will see it anytime soon. But I agree, this is the one feature I would like to see as much as if not more than custom matches. I've had three bizarre environmental deaths in the past couple days alone where the first thought that crossed my mind was, "I wish I could go back and watch that from literally any other angle than my own perspective."

\/ \/ But they had all that stuff on 360. And forge too.

the good fax machine fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 18, 2016

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I wonder how much stuff they didn't include because of the old consoles. Seems like it was pretty restrictive.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'd agree except halo 2 had theater didn't it?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nah, that came with Halo 3.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And if I remember right Halo 3 was a major engine rewrite. Destiny is a fork of Halo 2, and is also a major rewrite of that code base. But Destiny obviously went in a different direction.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I guess this is ok?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwie0dCMN4

But this is definitely not ok! Although incredibly hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2npuqw6OJ4

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

MarshyMcFly posted:

But this is definitely not ok! Although incredibly hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2npuqw6OJ4

Jesus loving christ that is by far the worst lag I've seen in this game

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Intoluene posted:

Time zones are based on longitude, not latitude.

Then how do you explain the seasons and toilet flushes, numb nuts?

Dopants
Jul 9, 2016

feel  it  on
a  spiritual
level

xzzy posted:

And if I remember right Halo 3 was a major engine rewrite. Destiny is a fork of Halo 2, and is also a major rewrite of that code base. But Destiny obviously went in a different direction.

Source? Not that I don't believe you, but I'm interested in knowing more about this.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
Primary weapons are so loving poo poo right now. There is nothing that has a TTK good enough to reliably kill a shotgun rusher or take on a sniper.

Special weapons really are a pile of loving poo poo.

PvP is just a case of stacking poo poo that can one shot kill. Sticky nades. Shoulder charge. Etc. Because primary weapons are so loving bad.

Well. That my rant.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Dopants posted:

Source? Not that I don't believe you, but I'm interested in knowing more about this.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/destiny-six-years-in-the-making-gdc-2015/2300-6423668/

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

CheeseFactory posted:

Primary weapons are so loving poo poo right now. There is nothing that has a TTK good enough to reliably kill a shotgun rusher or take on a sniper.

PvP is just a case of stacking poo poo that can one shot kill. Sticky nades. Shoulder charge. Etc. Because primary weapons are so loving bad.

Well. That my rant.

Bring back Thorn :colbert:

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

hitchensgoespop posted:

Bring back Thorn :colbert:

At least during that OP TLW/Thorn era people actually used primary weapons.

Still plenty of people shotgunning and sniping back then. But at least you had primaries that could contend.

To much special ammo is the biggest issue. But then you have UR and NLB to deal with. Welp.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

CheeseFactory posted:

Well. That my rant.

The Last Word disagrees. gently caress that thing.

DrPorkChop
Oct 1, 2002
http://i.imgur.com/x9Q7b9J.gifv

Blind knife throws are the best knife throws.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

CheeseFactory posted:

Well. That my rant.

They took the tried and true gun/grenade/melee formula of Halo and ruined it by giving everyone constant access to one hit kill power weapons and stickies.

Power weapons are supposed to be special; something you earn through coordination and map control. If you have them all the time they cease being special and become the new base line. If you can always one hit kill than one hit kills are the minimum acceptable performance for a weapon and anything else is irrelevant. This is why you basically never see sidearms.

You shouldn't be able to kill a shotgun rusher or beat a sniper with a primary (if the guy is any good), but you also shouldn't have to constantly face snipers and shotguns. The problem is and always has been the constant availability of the power weapons.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

marauderthirty posted:

Jesus loving christ that is by far the worst lag I've seen in this game

Yea after I shotgunned and meleed him the first time I just thought the game would register the kill in a few seconds or so but then he started hitting me so I'm like ok I guess one more for good measure. But then he turned invincible and we started a silly rear end sissy fight in which neither of us were dying and he just wouldn't go down at all. By the end I was laughing at all the complete nonsense that whole match was for me!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

sunday at work posted:

They took the tried and true gun/grenade/melee formula of Halo and ruined it by giving everyone constant access to one hit kill power weapons and stickies.

Power weapons are supposed to be special; something you earn through coordination and map control. If you have them all the time they cease being special and become the new base line. If you can always one hit kill than one hit kills are the minimum acceptable performance for a weapon and anything else is irrelevant. This is why you basically never see sidearms.

You shouldn't be able to kill a shotgun rusher or beat a sniper with a primary (if the guy is any good), but you also shouldn't have to constantly face snipers and shotguns. The problem is and always has been the constant availability of the power weapons.

Pretty much. I honestly think I've been killed by a primary other than MIDA/UR twice this entire IB. And that was Hawksaw and the CoE Pulse Rifle.

I'd be really surprised if they made more than a cursory effort to address it. All of the childrens are used to always having a sniper rifle and a shotgun at their disposal. Imagining the backlash if they took that away is amazing...but something Bungie would never do.

e: This might sound :smug: but remember that companies like this want to cater to the lowest common denominator because that keeps the idiots (ie: the overwhelming amount of consumers) happy. Don't expect poo poo like specials, UR or shotties in general to change.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 18, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fennesz posted:

e: This might sound :smug: but remember that companies like this want to cater to the lowest common denominator because that keeps the idiots (ie: the overwhelming amount of consumers) happy. Don't expect poo poo like specials, UR or shotties in general to change.

Except Bungie has a pretty consistent record of nerfing overly popular weapons. They may not be very punctual with fixes but they do make them.

But whatever fits your narrative I guess.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Power weapons are cool but they should be situational. Adding a delay between when you can fire a shotgun and when you can melee by even like .25 seconds and then making snipers flinch more when being shot would solve almost all the issues with power weapon maining.

For a while Mida had built in high caliber rounds and it was a very effective sniper counter, all guns should have the high caliber effect when you're ADSing as a sniper

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you get shot while sniping, the gun should fly out of your hands do a 180 in the air and then shoot a bullet into your own head.

Except for those 1v1 standoffs. Those are infuriating when it looks like you hit first but end up dying. That's just internet lag, on his screen he shot first.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

If you snipe, the gun should fly out of your hands do a 180 in the air and then shoot a bullet into your own head.

:agreed:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Intoluene posted:

The Last Word disagrees. gently caress that thing.

just lmao if you think TLW is bad now

double tapping with 111 crits at a billion miles away on y1

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

just lmao if you think TLW is bad now

double tapping with 111 crits at a billion miles away on y1

TLW is amazing unless I'm using it

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
oh dont get me wrong, TLW is still very good these days but it was a MONSTER in Y1

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

(Borat voice) "MAH WIFE!"
Three kill slam is an accomplishment in Clash, right?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/wintrrmute/video/20658871

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
After all this time, the constant bitching about about special weapons/ammo still cracks me up. I get it - you don't like dying in video games.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/TvxXN1k.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I rerolled my main, Hunter, a month or two ago so here's my kill breakdown without the 6 month boat anchor of stats playing as a moron.

"Lifetime" KDR of 1.68 K+ADR of 2.26. I would describe my playstyle as reserved/support/ambush. Only a handfull of Trials cards on this character which I think IS very Special centric. Standard 6's is very much not and I think in a good place short of a few outliers.

Percentage of heavy kills would realistically be lower if I didn't main a broken as gently caress BTRD that's still capable of 7+ kills despite HMG ammo nerfs.

• Locked thread