Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Can someone tell me about the 2001 props used in Doctor Who? I haven't heard anything about it and google isn't bringing up anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Can someone tell me about the 2001 props used in Doctor Who? I haven't heard anything about it and google isn't bringing up anything.

There were only ever 2001 props used in the original run of Doctor Who, they remade the vast majority of them many many times.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That sounds like a lot of props, why'd they have to reuse them?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember when David Suchet's name popped up as another possible Doctor (I think when Tennant announced he was leaving?) and I thought he would have been pretty cool casting, so its cool to see he'll be in the show.

Dabir posted:

That sounds like a lot of props, why'd they have to reuse them?

1900 of them were for the set dressing on Marco Polo, obviously!

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Oh I absolutely misread that; I thought you were saying there were props from the film 2001 in Doctor Who. I was struggling to think where I'd seen a set or the space pod or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

They still haven't even hinted at a release date.

God drat it.

Stabbatical posted:

Huh, they still release those? I think I bought them up to Series 4 before I just lost interest in listening to the show's music.

I just want Clara's theme via electric guitar.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Eric Roberts is getting drezzed for HD.

source

The extras seem to be the same as the DVD version, or stuff that's been seen before - it's a nice collection of all of Eight though, including Night of the Doctor.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Astroman posted:

"The Landlord"--sounds like a renegade Time Lord to me! :v:

We already learned how to defeat the Lanyard back in Trial...

Pesky Splinter posted:

source

That's fantastic!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Astroman posted:

"The Landlord"--sounds like a renegade Time Lord to me! :v:

That awkward moment when your new girl and your old girl meet up...

The missus and the ex - welcome to every man's worst nightmare!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Oh I absolutely misread that; I thought you were saying there were props from the film 2001 in Doctor Who. I was struggling to think where I'd seen a set or the space pod or something.

He was yanking your chain, dear (we actually only have 11 props).

The backpacks appeared in a few old DW eps as well as some Blakes 7 if I remember right.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The only ship I remember in The Invasion of Time (which is a dreadful story and I entirely support your decision not to find out on your own) was the Vardan's one:

which doesn't look very TB2y to me

Oh well, thanks for checking - it did sound pretty unlikely I suppose.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

echoplex posted:

It's the first I've heard of such a thing and while I know about the Star Wars/2001 prop reuses in/after DW, but I'd be astonished if one of the previously assumed destroyed TB miniatures ended up in another show. I can't find any other mention of such a thing anywhere, which usually means it's bollocks, but if anything I'd be interested in seeing in at least what they're mistaking it for.

(This isn't a work question btw)

http://www.gerryanderson.co.uk/gerry-anderson-and-doctor-who/

Mr Ron posted:

A "job lot" of secondhand models and props were acquired from Century 21 circa 1973. Making many appearances in the 1970s in various guises. Particularly memorable are the reconditioned spaceships (and submarine!) in "Frontier in Space" and the UFO Moonbase command console in "Green Death".

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
They re-used several props/set dressings from Alien in early 80s Who as well, apparently, but I don't think I've ever seen a definitive explanation of which bits are re-used where. I've got a feeling Terminus may have used some, but I'm not sure if I read that, or heard someone mention it on the DVD commentary, or what.

There's definitely a chestburster prop on display in Mindwarp, though. I'm still not entirely sure how they got away with that one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

pinacotheca posted:

There's definitely a chestburster prop on display in Mindwarp, though. I'm still not entirely sure how they got away with that one.

Huh. How did I miss this?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Ah, great, thank you! It's long been understood that the TB miniatures were all skipped and the last film was 68, so yeah, very unlikely that there would be anything in there.

pinacotheca posted:

They re-used several props/set dressings from Alien in early 80s Who as well, apparently, but I don't think I've ever seen a definitive explanation of which bits are re-used where. I've got a feeling Terminus may have used some, but I'm not sure if I read that, or heard someone mention it on the DVD commentary, or what.

Ooh, that's very interesting and not that unsurprising I guess. Will have to keep an eye out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

source

The extras seem to be the same as the DVD version, or stuff that's been seen before - it's a nice collection of all of Eight though, including Night of the Doctor.

Oh that's pretty sweet - kinda weird that I've got all these DVDs of the first 7 Doctors, but also Blu-Rays of the Third Doctor and now the 8th Doctor too!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Have they said whether or not it'll have a reversible cover?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So far it doesn't look like it's going to have a NA release though.

Quoting myself.

Davros1 posted:

Bafflegab, the company that makes The Scarifyers, is coming out with a new audio, starring the man himself, as himself, Tom Baker!

It's set at Tom's funeral.

http://www.bafflegab.co.uk/detail-baker.asp

Remember this? Well, it looks like it's going to be a series!

http://www.bafflegab.co.uk/bakers-end.asp

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 17, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

pinacotheca posted:

Well it's only fair, after all there was a script from The Ark in Space on display in the film

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Didn't some old Doctor Who props somehow end up in the original Star Wars films?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Yeah, one of the spacesuits from The Tenth Planet was used for Bossk's costume in Empire.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

cargohills posted:

Yeah, one of the spacesuits from The Tenth Planet was used for Bossk's costume in Empire.

Looking it up (to see which character that actually was :v:), it was apparently an RAF surplus suit. I wonder how many classic space setting props came from military surpluses.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well it's only fair, after all there was a script from The Ark in Space on display in the film

I've always wondered what the Ridley Scott Daleks would have ended up looking like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wait, what? Where was it?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
He's calling Alien a remake of Ark in Space.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Going back to the TV movie blu-ray for a second; it sounds like its an upscale of the original TV tape master and not a rescan of the original film bits; which is a little disappointing but totally expected - they filmed it, then put it on tape for editing and effects work. To do that poo poo after rescanning the film would cause a fortune, certainly more than they'd get back from the release. It'll still look nicer than the DVD versions even if only because professional upscales will always do better than your DVD player would, but I'd personally hold off until people say how it looks before jumping in. Its probably not going to be like Spearhead from Space where there's an incredibly clear quality difference (they had to film that because of a strike at the BBC by the engineers union over demanding more money to work on colour programmes and the original negatives survive; meaning that they can get something that's very close to HD and which looks really good); fixing the slight speedup would be grand but who knows if they actually plan to do that...

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Stabbatical posted:

Looking it up (to see which character that actually was :v:), it was apparently an RAF surplus suit. I wonder how many classic space setting props came from military surpluses.

Loads. Ejector seats in the Falcon, Obi Wan's sabre used a hand grenade, most of the 77 Star Wars + Alien were dressed from jet parts when metal was actually cheap enough to do that.

e: the only people who can really afford to do it now are the Star Wars films. When I was doing Red Dwarf at Pinewood scrapped aircaft parts arrived by the truckload. We were making do with bits of IKEA painted silver.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

echoplex posted:

Loads. Ejector seats in the Falcon, Obi Wan's sabre used a hand grenade, most of the 77 Star Wars + Alien were dressed from jet parts when metal was actually cheap enough to do that.

e: the only people who can really afford to do it now are the Star Wars films. When I was doing Red Dwarf at Pinewood scrapped aircaft parts arrived by the truckload. We were making do with bits of IKEA painted silver.

To be fair, I'd be disappointed if the Dwarf looked all shiny and cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, I'd be disappointed if the Dwarf looked all shiny and cool.

Yeah, it should never be too flashy or even look particularly high-tech, it's one of those times where low quality material actually works.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The fact the new season still had that industrial 90s sci-fi look to it was probably the best part. Not only is that a look that works perfectly for the show's setting, it makes whe whole thing fit seamlessly with the original run.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

IceAgeComing posted:

Didn't some old Doctor Who props somehow end up in the original Star Wars films?

That's not a nice way to talk about Michael Sheard

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

echoplex posted:

Holy poo poo you did red dwarf? During which seasons?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BSam posted:

The recent stuff, implicitly; I don't think echo is old enough to have been doing set design stuff back in the mid-late nineties.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

That's not a nice way to talk about Michael Sheard

Or indeed Mr Glover

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Or indeed Mr Glover

That dude looks terrible without make-up though:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

That dude looks terrible without make-up though:

Presumably the rest of his human suit was good quality for his wife not to notice during their moments of nefarious excitement.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The recent stuff, implicitly; I don't think echo is old enough to have been doing set design stuff back in the mid-late nineties.

I was making Tricorders from sheet card with felt-tipped grease proof paper for the LEDs.

BSam posted:

Only S12, which isn't the series coming out next month, but the one some time in 2017. Fun job, but the best bit was fun as saying hi to Carrie Fisher walking her dog or just bumping into spaceships in storage. Holy balls I wanna work on a Star Wars.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it should never be too flashy or even look particularly high-tech, it's one of those times where low quality material actually works.

I'm not thrilled with how the show handed the translation into HD design-wise (blue LEDs, broadly speaking, need to gently caress off forever), and I think S10 had a very HDR-esque, contrast-y look which I think was going the wrong way. I pushed for graphics to be much more a central part of the design in S12 and tried to bring back that low tech, neon/CRT feel with them, but I can't really post about them until next year.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 18, 2016

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Presumably the rest of his human suit was good quality for his wife not to notice during their moments of nefarious excitement.

I've always assumed she thought he was gay. That seems to be the intention of at least one scene, anyway.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've always assumed she thought he was gay. That seems to be the intention of at least one scene, anyway.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the implication.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

tried to bring back that low tech, neon/CRT feel with them

Oh you are doing God's work, I can't wait to see it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I just dropped $50 on Big Finish, so expect a massive sale or something to start tomorrow!

Has nobody in the thread listened to the Third Doctor Adventures set? Couldn't find any reviews or impressions. I've gone on a rather large early-doctor binge and have been listening to everything 1 and 2 lately, figured it was time to try 3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm still trying to catch up on the monthly range, the 4th Doctor Adventures, the 8th Doctor standalones AND all the currently running specials they've got going like UNIT, River Song, War Doctor, New Monsters etc - I'm not even gonna look at stuff like Companion Chronicles, Third Doctor sets etc until I get caught up.

So much Doctor Who.... :swoon:

• Locked thread