Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i just set everyone to herbal medicine by default and upgrade them to the good stuff if they get a nasty injury

Alright I'll give that a try and see how it feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah, these are survivors of a shipwreck that are forced to kill, not blood knights. It's like your grandmother parading around with a head on a spike just because she was stranded somewhere

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, these are survivors of a shipwreck that are forced to kill, not blood knights. It's like your grandmother parading around with a head on a spike just because she was stranded somewhere

Well, it still makes sense if granny was a psychopath. :v:

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
So does peppering your base interior with embrasures help for fighting off bug attacks? It seems like it would so I've been trying it out, but I haven't had any bugs come through yet to know for sure.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

HiroProtagonist posted:

Well, it still makes sense if granny was a psychopath. :v:

Now that was a trip to Disney world that the whole family will remember

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That seems like it would make it more likely that the immediate response would be "oh thank gently caress, I'm still alive!"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jay Rust posted:

These aren't knights though, these are gourmet cooks and architects

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Uh, most people fighting in medieval wars were just normal people and tenants who signed up/were pressured into fighting, not trained killers. You still get an adrenaline rush from combat and it feels good to defend your home.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Man, god help you if you ever get stranded on a planet with a bunch of goons....Have fun dying horribly of Malaria while the only ambulatory neckbeards are too busy LARPing to give you medicine, and too retarded to yank corn cobs off the plants.

I can't help but think the dev made fun of kickstarter people in general; there are wayyyyy too many 'idea guys' you end up rolling that have great combat skills and art but in an overall survival situation over 5 years are completely useless.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Panfilo posted:

Man, god help you if you ever get stranded on a planet with a bunch of goons....Have fun dying horribly of Malaria while the only ambulatory neckbeards are too busy LARPing to give you medicine, and too retarded to yank corn cobs off the plants.

I can't help but think the dev made fun of kickstarter people in general; there are wayyyyy too many 'idea guys' you end up rolling that have great combat skills and art but in an overall survival situation over 5 years are completely useless.

They made fun of themselves.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm just surprised there isn't an "easily triggered" trait that is like the super version of bloodlust.

So my latest escape pod contained a staggeringly ugly, pessimistic, pyromanic that also happened to be the mother of one of my colonists. He was at -50 to his mom thanks to the +30 (mom) -80 (staggeringly ugly) social mods. Who in the hell thought a -80 social modifier was a good idea

Azhais fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 17, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Azhais posted:

I'm just surprised there isn't an "easily triggered" trait that is like the super version of bloodlust.

So my latest escape pod contained a staggeringly ugly, pessimistic, pyromanic that also happened to be the mother of one of my colonists. He was at -50 to his mom thanks to the +30 (mom) -80 (staggeringly ugly) social mods. Who in the hell thought a -80 social modifier was a good idea

:byodood: NO, gently caress YOU MOM!

I'm just waiting to have a FF7 house scenario at this point...

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Azhais posted:

That's the same modifier as you get for murdering someone's son.

I had someone's son take part in a raid, we captured him, nursed him back to health and released him when it became obvious that the strain of recovering from the raid meant that we couldn't look after so many prisoners. He thanked us by raiding us again with a bunch of guys in personal shields. We fought them off fairly easily and he started fleeing, his movement was impaired so I thought I'd have one of my colonists give him a couple of digs with a club for good measure. Killed him outright and now his father is despondent (I wouldn't describe him as a great son, really) and hates the guts of the killer. Good times.

e: Oh, wonderful. A male psychic drone has just started and he's hypersensitive to it. How many berserk breakdowns, I wonder?

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 17, 2016

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Eh, some of them are ok, others are Min.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Randy can really make things build up. I've had two raids and mechanoids in the last three days and now I'm dealing with a psychic drone plus a siege. I can only sit here and try to absorb the damage since my first, pretty weedy counterattack got kiboshed when one of my guys went berserk as soon as we left the base.

Ooof, incendiary round right to the power supply, only 19 to go!

e: Here's an actual annoyance. It looks like I can only specify something to be made out of a material if I actually have it to hand. My preference would be sandstone to repair a nasty big mortar hole but I can only choose uranium, plasteel, marble and steel, none of which I want to use. I don't have any sandstone to hand, true, but it's so easy for me to make it that it should be on the list anyway.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 17, 2016

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

It also seems that materials aren't counted unless they're in one of your stockpiles. I knew for a fact I had more than 50 plasteel littering the map, but it wouldn't let me start building the multi-analyzer because I didn't have enough materials. Maybe things marked for hauling should be counted as your resources... although that'll have to wait until Alpha 16, because it looks like Alpha 15 is locked in and coming soon: https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/08/features-preview-of-alpha-15/

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

404notfound posted:

It also seems that materials aren't counted unless they're in one of your stockpiles. I knew for a fact I had more than 50 plasteel littering the map, but it wouldn't let me start building the multi-analyzer because I didn't have enough materials. Maybe things marked for hauling should be counted as your resources... although that'll have to wait until Alpha 16, because it looks like Alpha 15 is locked in and coming soon: https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/08/features-preview-of-alpha-15/

It'll never stop you from trying to build something for lack of materials. The number going red is just telling you you don't have enough in stockpiles. If the materials are anywhere on the map and unforbidden they'll go get em anyway

e: I hope the learning helper is an animated thrumbo in the corner that talks to you like clippy

e2:

quote:

Mods can now be dragged to reorder them in the mods page.

10/10, goty

quote:

Debuffed corn a bit.

0/10, literally unplayable

Azhais fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 17, 2016

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Alpha 15 lets colonists become crack addicts.

Oh boy.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

:smith:

Poor Anti-Love is the dog portrayed in the art. She deserves a better quality tomb, but this one has proper art!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
A15. Tribals now playable through a heatwave.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
wow i so want to make a crackden that kidnaps everyone who passes by

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there a way to get the preview A15 version through sendowl or is it steam only?

EDIT:

meatsaw posted:

Although the shotgun isn't a bad vanilla weapon, one of my favorite parts of the Combat Realism mod is the ability to make beanbag ammo - so far it's been the perfect way to take someone down without injuring them (too much). I've used it to capture, used it to subdue escapees, and used it to stop rampages and mental breaks.

Once I get a prison built I always create at least one with some of this and keep it around just in case.

One of the reasons I use Glittertech at all is because of the Pacifier, it's basically a futuristic taser. I'd love to see less-lethal weapons make it to the vanilla game.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 18, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So many awesome changes in a15. The deep mining and reduced friendly fire are what I'm most looking forward to.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Azhais posted:

-80 (staggeringly ugly) social mods. Who in the hell thought a -80 social modifier was a good idea

That's loving insane already, but I also wonder why the ugliness social modifiers don't degrade over time. You'd think people would get over it after the first month of living in close contact with someone.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Keeshhound posted:

That's loving insane already, but I also wonder why the ugliness social modifiers don't degrade over time. You'd think people would get over it after the first month of living in close contact with someone.

I just want my beautiful colonists who get their noses chopped off to get a discount on the disfigured malus.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

That reminds me, I had a colonist once who was my negotiator/trader. He was pretty, and the women of the colony were constantly trying to woo him, but he only had eyes for the other (pretty) female colonist.

Until the accident.

I forget what type of small vicious animal it was (probably an alphabeaver) but one went mad and attacked him while he was outside with the trade caravan. First strike took his nose clean off, the next an ear. He beat the thing to death, and walked into hospital with most of his face missing to recover. Days later, he'd been up and running again for a while, but hadn't been in a very good mood. He keeps dipping into the mental break danger zone. I go to check why - he's now disfigured and has been in a bunch of arguments with his beau, who no longer likes him. He seemed to give up on her, and tried his luck with the rest of the women - but now they're wise to his poo poo, and they slam him over and over with rejections. The accident turned him from Adonis to Nice Guy, and he's a miserable wreck.
Then comes along my newest recruit - a walk-in from the snowy wastes, she's a no-nonsense type and has a super short fuse. Everyone in the colony gets along with her just fine, she leaves them alone mostly and they her, but since she's pretty good socially I relegate Nice Guy to the munitions factory and promote her to lead negotiator. Nice Guy doesn't take this well. He flirts with her for a while, but she rejects him repeatedly. Then he figures he's had enough of this poo poo, and starts insulting her at every opportunity.

It all comes to a head when finally, over dinner, he flirts with her once again, and when rejected, starts a fistfight. She gets up, strides around the table, ducks a swing - and breaks his jaw. One hit KO.

I never had a problem with Nice Guy again :mmmhmm:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I am really growing to dislike colonists who won't firefight.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

I am really growing to dislike colonists who won't firefight.

Wait until you discover that they still can equip weapons despite the fact they will never ever use them. Nothing beats discovering that your only charge rifle is in the hands of a pacifist in the middle of a tribal zergling rush. I hate colonists who won't fight even more than the ones who won't haul.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Gantolandon posted:

I hate colonists who won't fight even more than the ones who won't haul.

Those who can't fight can still be assigned to a supporting role as a mortar technician. Unless your base is burrowed in deep, they can still contribute.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Is there a way to mark a specific item to throw in the cremator? Like I say I want to burn this one jacket that's at 10% without burning every other jacket like it. Should be something you can just do with a right click.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bunleigh posted:

Is there a way to mark a specific item to throw in the cremator? Like I say I want to burn this one jacket that's at 10% without burning every other jacket like it. Should be something you can just do with a right click.

Change the bill to only accept items that are at 10% condition or less.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm really interested in the new a15 features so I updated to the beta branch yesterday and started a new colony. I'm about to harvest my first field of coke and marijuana and am researching drug production. Can't wait to have my own little drug cartel.

Does anyone know anything about the deep mining yet?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Huszsersvn posted:

Those who can't fight can still be assigned to a supporting role as a mortar technician. Unless your base is burrowed in deep, they can still contribute.

You can also give pacifists a power shield and your strongest armor and have them run around in front of the enemy, distracting them while the other colonists fill them with lead.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Pacifists would be fine if you couldn't give them attack orders and they would only operate in self-defense but they don't even do that. At best you could give them power shields and make them corpsman.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

what are safe ways of dealing with hives? i tried cooling down the room to -60C but it didn't even bug them

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Pacifists would be fine if you couldn't give them attack orders and they would only operate in self-defense but they don't even do that. At best you could give them power shields and make them corpsman.
Yeah, but then people would just send them out into enemy groups then unenlist them anyway.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Can pacifists hunt? I'd assumed that was included in "violent," but I can't think of any other reason why they'd be able to equip weapons.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

a7m2 posted:

bug them

Hah

Generally most people will go the opposite direction and light some fires to give them heatstroke.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Generally most people will go the opposite direction and light some fires to give them heatstroke.

i already had the cooling units set up, but i guess i'll do that. can temperature alone set things on fire? if i heat a room up to a billion degrees will the furniture ignite?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

a7m2 posted:

i already had the cooling units set up, but i guess i'll do that. can temperature alone set things on fire? if i heat a room up to a billion degrees will the furniture ignite?

The easiest way is to build a bunch of wooden stools and chuck a molotov in there. Failing at that, build heaters and crank them up, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The easiest way is to build a bunch of wooden stools and chuck a molotov in there. Failing at that, build heaters and crank them up, yeah
That's such an over-elaborate way and I love it.