Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxNV
Jan 3, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

Taiwan has cities named Taipei, Taitung, Tainan and Taichung which translates as North, East, South and Central Taiwan respectively. They've always annoyed me for being a) very generic names for cities and b) not having a West Taiwan.

In Vancouver we have the West Side, West End, and West Vancouver. All are distinct and very different neighbourhoods that are rather spread out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Boston has South End, North End, and West End, but no East End. There's also a South Boston and East Boston, and for completeness sake a South Shore and North Shore (which aren't in Boston, but surrounding it).

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
There's also no South Detroit, but Journey went with it anyway.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Eskaton posted:

Similarly, in the song The Night Chicago Died, "Daddy was a cop on the east side of Chicago". So we can only assume he was some in some kind of elite underwater law enforcement unit.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Look, maybe Journey and Paper Lace just like singing about mermen, I won't judge.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

MaxNV posted:

In Vancouver we have the West Side, West End, and West Vancouver. All are distinct and very different neighbourhoods that are rather spread out.

West Vancouver is in fact a completely different city.

Unless you're talking about the UBC-area known as West Vancouver.

:negative:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

Similarly, in the song The Night Chicago Died, "Daddy was a cop on the east side of Chicago". So we can only assume he was some in some kind of elite underwater law enforcement unit.

There is actually an east side of Chicago. It's a community area directly bordering Indiana. Here is a map of the community areas of Chicago, East Side is 52. Politically loaded because notice how they're numbered? 77 seems a bit out of place yeah? Edgewater seceded from Uptown (#3) because they didn't want to be associated with it anymore. (Uptown has the highest concentration of mental health centers in the city and is also home to a shitton of poor people, although it is slowly gentrifying.) Community areas were defined by the University of Chicago back in the 1920's and they don't change so as to allow comparisons over time. Neighborhoods are much more fluid and the borders are not set which results in a great deal of cherry picking as to where you actually say you live in the city.

edit: 76 is O'Hare airport which the city annexed from neighboring towns back in the 50s by bribing them with water from Lake Michigan.

edit2: I only did this because I'm a tour guide in Chicago and sperging about poo poo like this is how I make money.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Benagain fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 18, 2016

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

Taiwan has cities named Taipei, Taitung, Tainan and Taichung which translates as North, East, South and Central Taiwan respectively. They've always annoyed me for being a) very generic names for cities and b) not having a West Taiwan.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Well, that's one less thing to be irrationally irritated in my life.

Relax, I've got you covered. There's Beijing and Nanjing on the mainland, and Tokyo is read as Dongjing, but there's no such place as Xijing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

House Louse posted:

Relax, I've got you covered. There's Beijing and Nanjing on the mainland, and Tokyo is read as Dongjing, but there's no such place as Xijing.
Xijing will be what we know today as San Francisco.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Xijing will be what we know today as San Francisco.
Only if you take the long way 'round.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Wessex, Sussex, Essex, Middlesex but nae Nossex

kenner116
May 15, 2009

House Louse posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xijing

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

the jizz taxi posted:

Or that South Sudan came up with nothing more original as a name.

Should've gone with Upper Sudan imo.

Guavanaut posted:

They should have gone with Upper Sudan.

Motherfucker. Only in the map thread can you get beaten to this. I bring shame to my family.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sudan isn't named after a river, so it would be wrong :smug:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Noted African river: Egypt.

:smug::smug::smug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It is named after the upper section of the river that defines it :smuggo:

See also: Upper and Lower Germania, the former being UP the stream of the Rhine from the latter. :smuggo: :smuggo:

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 18, 2016

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

steinrokkan posted:

Sudan isn't named after a river, so it would be wrong :smug:

The Sudanese republic of the upper Nile.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

It is named after the upper section of the river that defines it

See also: Upper and Lower Germania, the former being UP the stream of the Rhine from the latter.

Yes I understand this...

You might notice how the Nile also flows through Sudan and South Sudan.

Hence the suggestion. :viggo: :smugbert:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Orange Devil posted:

Yes I understand this...

You might notice how the Nile also flows through Sudan and South Sudan.

Hence the suggestion. :viggo: :smugbert:

Sudan is a geographical region independent of the countries that take their names from it, and this region would naturally have its own naming scheme based on cardinal directions, passing it on to the countries. :agesilaus:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

steinrokkan posted:

Sudan is a geographical region independent of the countries that take their names from it, and this region would naturally have its own naming scheme based on cardinal directions, passing it on to the countries. :agesilaus:
If we're taking it from the geographical region it should be East Sudan.

:dukedoge:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

HookShot posted:

West Vancouver is in fact a completely different city.

Unless you're talking about the UBC-area known as West Vancouver.

:negative:

Similarly, there's an "East Pittsburgh" that is a totally separate town, about three towns from the eastern city limits in fact. Distinct from the East End, which refers to a swath of neighborhoods on the eastern edge of the city. At least we have a West End to balance it out :sweatdrop:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

We're not naming the region, we're naming countries based on a defining river flowing through them.

If anything, we should callously disregard the opinions and ideas of the people living in these countries while doing it and preferably also geographic realities, as is our European tradition. So South-Sudan should clearly be named North Congo. Alternatively African Central Republic or Central Republic of Africa.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 18, 2016

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
More like Eastern Central African Republic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If we're going for patronizing semi-aware colonial style names, British Dinkaland.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Guavanaut posted:

If we're going for patronizing semi-aware colonial style names, British Dinkaland.

Dafakyoosaeh, Dohntundahstaandawurd, Hoodahelahyoo, Whachayammarinaboot, Paelfella-Ahryoosichorsomefin

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
East New York is in Brooklyn and is one of the last preserved dangerous neighborhoods we have remaining

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Actually South Sudan should be just Sudan and Sudan should have to change it's name to either Nudan or Sudan Classic.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Eskaton posted:

Windsor :colbert:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Colonialism.jpg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mcustic posted:

Colonialism.jpg

You can tell when the UK switched from round pin to weird oblong pin by looking at South Africa and India.

British Antipodes just wanted to be special. :australia:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcustic posted:

Colonialism.jpg

In China they had those light blue ones everywhere as well, I guess because of Aussies.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

mcustic posted:

Colonialism.jpg

China's inaccurate. It's a combination of the European and American styles with a smattering of the weird Australian ones here and there. At least that's what it's been everywhere I've been. The European ones seem to be the most common.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stereobreadsticks posted:

China's inaccurate. It's a combination of the European and American styles with a smattering of the weird Australian ones here and there. At least that's what it's been everywhere I've been. The European ones seem to be the most common.
And the UK ones in some Special areas.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Actually South Sudan should be just Sudan and Sudan should have to change it's name to either Nudan or Sudan Classic.

Nudan sounds very cyberpunk. I'm convinced.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Wessex, Sussex, Essex, Middlesex but nae Nossex

There's Nossex anywhere you look on SomethingAwful.com.

mcustic posted:

Colonialism.jpg

This doesn't really look like colonialism.jpg to me, more like Americas vs Europe/Asia/most of Africa, and some other countries on the side.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

House Louse posted:

There's Nossex anywhere you look on SomethingAwful.com.
That's Goatssex, founded by King Ænusred the Ready.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Albino Squirrel posted:

Only if you take the long way 'round.
That is the direction China has historically expanded.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Where I am most Chinese sockets are these sort of universal things that fit the round ones, the American ones, and the angled ones.

Most of the Chinese electrical things I have use the bottom triple plug. I've never seen those square ones.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Benagain posted:

There is actually an east side of Chicago. It's a community area directly bordering Indiana. Here is a map of the community areas of Chicago, East Side is 52. Politically loaded because notice how they're numbered? 77 seems a bit out of place yeah? Edgewater seceded from Uptown (#3) because they didn't want to be associated with it anymore. (Uptown has the highest concentration of mental health centers in the city and is also home to a shitton of poor people, although it is slowly gentrifying.) Community areas were defined by the University of Chicago back in the 1920's and they don't change so as to allow comparisons over time. Neighborhoods are much more fluid and the borders are not set which results in a great deal of cherry picking as to where you actually say you live in the city.

edit: 76 is O'Hare airport which the city annexed from neighboring towns back in the 50s by bribing them with water from Lake Michigan.

edit2: I only did this because I'm a tour guide in Chicago and sperging about poo poo like this is how I make money.

Bummer about you blowing it with Jennifer Anniston bro. You'll find another good one someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They should change them all to universal outlets imo.

e: imgur being terrible for more than the usual reasons, but here:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 18, 2016