Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

Backstage brawling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-_DahoIlLw

New Roster members that weren't in past games:

Charlotte
Sasha Banks
Becky Lynch
Alexa Bliss
Dana Brooke
AJ Styles
Bubba Ray Dudley
D-Von Dudley
Braun Strowman

This looks like a loving PS2 game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

super macho dude posted:

these are both good things, trust in 2k, trust in WWE, and anyway if it sucks wait until you see WWE 2K18 with a completely overhauled cage match system!

2k has to dump MyCareer and Universe Mode to fit in the cage match system

Wait so is there going to be any type of career mode then? Universe mode is the only reason I keep playing these games. I had a 98 raw and ROH weekly show that I love doing in wwe 2k16.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This looks like a loving PS2 game.

And everyone clamors for them so???

Also the PS2 is a lot uglier than people remember.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, I occasionally play all my older games and the amount nostalgia has colored the perception of them is very clear once they are going. My ma years ago asked if a game was on when I was playing quarterback club 2000 on the N64, and having played that again some years back I am baffled that the pixelated mess that that game was could be mistaken for a game no matter how bad a persons eyes. We get used to the new standard and old standard no longer has much charm for the eyes. Except for old sprite games, some of those still look great.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

N64 games started looking like poo poo about 10 years ago. People were like "You gotta play No Mercy!" and to an extent still are today, but the character models are marshmallows on wireframes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Wait so is there going to be any type of career mode then? Universe mode is the only reason I keep playing these games. I had a 98 raw and ROH weekly show that I love doing in wwe 2k16.

He's being sarcastic. 2k17 has Universe mode and MyCareer, with what sounds like a dialogue tree system for promos and the ability to do post-match run-ins.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gaz-L posted:

He's being sarcastic. 2k17 has Universe mode and MyCareer, with what sounds like a dialogue tree system for promos and the ability to do post-match run-ins.

Honestly I can do without my career mode if it like the last two ones but if they take away universe mode I will be very sad.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

career mode is the only thing I play :shrug:

tbh I think the changes are good, though they could have just as easily made a zone in the middle of the ring that automatically sets up the ladder right in the center but whatever. the new triple threat/tornado match stuff sounds good and the only people bitching about it are trash.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Whoever at 2K is praying at the altar of TV Accurate Simulation needs to be fired, re-hired, fired, then blackballed

Also I think Backstage Brawls has been announced as a new feature like 5 times in this series. Backstage Brawls are a nice microcosm of the difference of what consumers want and what 2K thinks they want. 2K gives you a hallway while we all just want to jump off a helicopter or the Smackdown Fist.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 18, 2016

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Nut Bunnies posted:

Whoever at 2K is praying at the altar of TV Accurate Simulation needs to be fired, re-hired, fired, then blackballed

Also I think Backstage Brawls has been announced as a new feature like 5 times in this series. Backstage Brawls are a nice microcosm of the difference of what consumers want and what 2K thinks they want. 2K gives you a hallway while we all just want to jump off a helicopter or the Smackdown Fist.

Yeah the backstage fights sound like fun until you play them and you do the same 4 scripted events over and over. I miss in here comes the pain when you could just throw them backstage and have like 6 different areas to go around to.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
All these realistic things they want to add just keeps me from wanting to pick this game series up again. I dunno why they don't have more fun and just go for hyper realism. I guess I've seen the 2k basketball games so I shouldn't be surprised as those things look crazy un-fun to play from my perspective.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nut Bunnies posted:

Nope. That was dumb.

And the closer WWE games get to actual fighting games like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter, the worse they'd look. I'm sure someone has fond memories of that one In Your House game where Undertaker shot gravestones at people but I'd rather have my wrestling game feature wrestling matches that look like wrestling.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Nope. That was dumb.

And the closer WWE games get to actual fighting games like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter, the worse they'd look. I'm sure someone has fond memories of that one In Your House game where Undertaker shot gravestones at people but I'd rather have my wrestling game feature wrestling matches that look like wrestling.

Well yeah that goofy cartoon fight one was the first wwe game I ever played as a kid so of course it was badass

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
There's a few posts on Reddit from people who say they have tested the game. Apparently you can't wander backstage during a match - backstage brawls are a separate game mode. It also switches to a different camera angle when fighting outside the ring, like SvsR2009. It's overall described as a roster update from 2k16.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

There's a few posts on Reddit from people who say they have tested the game. Apparently you can't wander backstage during a match - backstage brawls are a separate game mode. It also switches to a different camera angle when fighting outside the ring, like SvsR2009. It's overall described as a roster update from 2k16.

Well, yes, it's a yearly sports-styled franchies. Not sure what people are really expecting.

I think I get less disappointed because I don't imagine the perfect game in my head, full of down-to-earth-situations and swarming with magic robots, and just assume it'll be mostly like the decent game from last year that I liked maybe with some new guys/girls I want and maybe a neat new feature.

I also figure backstage fights will be like they have been in the past and you can't do them in a normal singles match, but only in stuff like falls count anywhere. 2K did explicitly say you can pick it as a separate mode OR do it from a match.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSm0U3oeu4

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

Gaz-L posted:

Nope. That was dumb.

i mean jumping off a helicoptor is fun and it still felt like a wrestling game? I don't know what's wrong with having a little bit of fun variety in these games especially fun little easter eggs like that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GenericMartini posted:

i mean jumping off a helicoptor is fun and it still felt like a wrestling game? I don't know what's wrong with having a little bit of fun variety in these games especially fun little easter eggs like that.

Excuse me, dork. We don't want a Fire Pro or NJPW game in WWE drag or that one In Your House game where Undertaker shot gravestones at people. We want a WWE game in the most unfun realistic way possible. I want mo-cap animations. I want 50-50 booking. I want stamina management. I want limitations on CAWs. And most of all, I want a perfect representation of what I watch 8 hours a week. There's no room for silliness.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

Excuse me, dork. We don't want a Fire Pro or NJPW game in WWE drag or that one In Your House game where Undertaker shot gravestones at people. We want a WWE game in the most unfun realistic way possible. I want mo-cap animations. I want 50-50 booking. I want stamina management. I want limitations on CAWs. And most of all, I want a perfect representation of what I watch 8 hours a week. There's no room for silliness.

Sorry for not expecting perfection *watches paint dry*

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

I'm glad they brought back my favorite feature, commentary that's either way ahead or way behind what's actually happening in the match

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Point taken, I realise I'm being probably too aggressive and snarky about defending 2K and they certainly don't need me to white knight for them. Chalk it up to about 40% me running on 8 hours of sleep from the last 72 and about 60% frustration at seeing nothing but complaints when I like a lot of the current direction the games are going.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
NewLegacyInc have started their 24 hour stream supporting Fighting Back and the Canadian Cancer Society, for anyone interested in wackiness and possibly ridiculous guests.

http://www.hitbox.tv/newlegacyinc

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Psychepath posted:

NewLegacyInc have started their 24 hour stream supporting Fighting Back and the Canadian Cancer Society, for anyone interested in wackiness and possibly ridiculous guests.

http://www.hitbox.tv/newlegacyinc

Not sure how much can top Russo joining the stream the first time a few years ago. It was fuckin' surreal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Natalya Fartz posted:

Not sure how much can top Russo joining the stream the first time a few years ago. It was fuckin' surreal.

Should try to get the Hardys on.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Natalya Fartz posted:

They get Russo every year for a bit. I'm sure Chikara's Jervis Cottonbelly, maybe Thunderfrog will show up. Indie women's wrestler Evie too. They always try to get Player Uno, Kenny Omega, and Xavier Woods on each year too.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

They've already raised 11.7k in just under 12 hours.

edit: 12 THOUSAND BOYS!

Testekill fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 20, 2016

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Testekill posted:

They've already raised 11.7k in just under 12 hours.

edit: 12 THOUSAND BOYS!

This is insane considering last year they barely got to 10k in time. gently caress yeah.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

MyCareer was glacial-paced trash in 2K16 and I'm glad someone realized the submission system was terrible.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Neodoomium posted:

MyCareer was glacial-paced trash in 2K16 and I'm glad someone realized the submission system was terrible.

It's actually not that bad once you figure it out. The trick is to not move the stick in a circle, just use the cardinal directions. The best way is to just rock the stick from left to right and back, you can get them to tap almost every time that way.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The update going into hour 21 is over 16k! These boys are good boys

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Good Listener posted:

The update going into hour 21 is over 16k! These boys are good boys

Wrapped up at $18,300 pretty impressive.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is anyone playing that WWE Puzzle Quest style game besides me? Do we have a faction in it?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

triplexpac posted:

Is anyone playing that WWE Puzzle Quest style game besides me? Do we have a faction in it?

I'm a stupid person who doesn't value their time. What's the name of the game?

Edit: Hah, just discovered Aki is now syn sophia, the dev that makes Style Savvy.

Fumaofthelake fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 21, 2016

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Charlotte's last day in my company, she's dropping our women's title on her way out. What's this? Her opponent broke her leg and they audibled in the ring to her tapping out to the Figure 8? :argh:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Charlotte's last day in my company, she's dropping our women's title on her way out. What's this? Her opponent broke her leg and they audibled in the ring to her tapping out to the Figure 8? :argh:

The Dirtiest Player in the Game.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm imagining Bryan flipping out going "Ok so you broke your leg and need to audible a finish, and you audible to A LEG SUBMISSION? WHAT?" and I have a biggest grin on my face.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Great White Hope posted:

I'm imagining Bryan flipping out going "Ok so you broke your leg and need to audible a finish, and you audible to A LEG SUBMISSION? WHAT?" and I have a biggest grin on my face.

Worse. A leg submission where you need to tangle everything up.

I suppose maybe the leg was broke in the figure 8, prompting the improvised tap.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Great White Hope posted:

I'm imagining HHH taking a walls with a torn quad

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I guess they call her CRAZY Mary Dobson for a reason RIP leg bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I tried UFC 2 yesterday on account of the free weekend, ended up buying it on sale because a friend and I were having a lot of fun with it. He likes to stand up and strike, I like to go to the ground and try for submissions. Does anyone have any good tips for either or both of us? Right now I can take down and tap easy AIs without any trouble, but I figure I'll need to up my game a lot if I want to compete in any more substantial way