Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm curious for more details on your experience using OSX though, if people don't mind the derail - I haven't actually used it seriously outside of playing around in apple stores.

There's an appthread for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I know the Surface 4 is nice, but is the Surface Book? I never see it mentioned in good laptops to buy discussions.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Darth TNT posted:

Microsoft is currently under the impression that the world ends at north americas borders.

Sometimes narrower than that; there's a term they sometimes use called the Redmond Bubble, which is used to describe phenomena like "I see dozens of people using windows phone when I go out, how could it be doing poorly?"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CubanMissile posted:

I know the Surface 4 is nice, but is the Surface Book? I never see it mentioned in good laptops to buy discussions.

As I understand it it's an MBP competitor, which is bad because the people willing to pay MBP prices for a laptop are all Mac addicts who specifically want MBPs, but yeah people who get one seem to be satisfied with it AFAICT

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CubanMissile posted:

Launch was rough firmware wise, but they've gotten everything squared away now, it's nice hardware, although rumors are a refresh is coming soon.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I got 1607 last night like a moron and now my alarms are quiet and contact profile pictures missing from the Live Tile. The Store also doesn't need to alert me for every app update but at least I can easily view release notes now.

My Band 2, iPad and 80's GE clock radio are now better alarms than my loving phone. It's like Microsoft not only doesn't want to sell any more phones but the QA team has been tasked with finding subtle ways to get everyone out of the pool.

Turns out the alarms now fade in with no setting to start out loud.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 31, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Lord Bude posted:

I didn't mean it from the perspective of how well they're performing financially, more from the point of view of my perception of the declining quality of their products. The two aren't necessarily related, there are many companies than manage to be hugely profitable despite producing poor quality products (or sometimes because of it).

Everything outside of their mobile division has generally increased in quality of the years. The Surface is great and gets better every iteration. Windows 10 is awesome. They have some seriously cool stuff in their research division. Their other general hardware is, as it has been for a long time, quality solid stuff. They make high quality app versions of their software.

And hell even Windows Phone is pretty solid ... they just don't seem to want put anything more behind supporting it.

I'm really not getting where you see "declining quality."

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

loquacius posted:

As I understand it it's an MBP competitor, which is bad because the people willing to pay MBP prices for a laptop are all Mac addicts who specifically want MBPs, but yeah people who get one seem to be satisfied with it AFAICT

It is still (along with the pro 4 due to the Intel processor) having bad sleep/battery issues. That's a pretty big deal since poor battery life makes the product a lot less useful. Many people are just turning off most of the power save features to get away from the sleep of death. I think I have a similar Intel I7 and disabled all sleep features on my gaming laptop because it would death sleep often. Personally I'd suggest skipping it still.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05/27/sleep_of_death_windows_10/

I'm not 100% that sleep of death is still an issue but several owners were pretty pissed about it.

As always, what do you want to do?

If you want to game, then get laptop with a strong discreet videocard (I'd suggest the new 1060 Ghost from MSI personally). If you want pure productivity then a Chromebook might work. If you want a tablet you might want to consider the Surface pro 3/or super Cheap Surface Pro 2 or an iPad over the Surface 4/Surface Book.

If you want to do development but don't care about graphics I bet you can find cheap Thinkpads from office surplus.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 17, 2016

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

The Surface 3 also has 4G/LTE which the Surface 4 doesn't, which might be worth considering.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

wookieepelt posted:

I was watching the pocketnow review of the 950, and it's super complimentary but the same guy reviewed the 950XL and it was the opposite reaction. Are they really that different?

I have a 950xl and I don't have most of the issues he had ( I know anecdotal to the max). I think they are functionally equivalent. If you can tolerate the size, go with the xl. That said, Michael Fisher is pretty pro windows phone in general and stuff uses his 950.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

It doesn't get mentioned because as a pure laptop, you can fill every niche cheaper. It really is a MacBook pro competitor even in the sense of some cachet coming from having a disctinctive laptop. That said, my surfacebook is the first laptop that I've ever handed to people and had them spontaneously mention how nice a computer it is. The detactable tablet has some niche uses although the pen feature is great if you are a student or ever need to fill out PDFs.

Get one if you have a specific use that warrants it (and honestly, i'm vain enough to admit the nice looking laptop accessory is enough for me to buy one again if I had to). Its is really top end in most ways now that most of the firmware issue are ironed out. Better in most ways that most windows PCs but not clearly better enough to warrant the price difference for most I think

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

CalvinandHobbes posted:

I have a 950xl and I don't have most of the issues he had ( I know anecdotal to the max). I think they are functionally equivalent. If you can tolerate the size, go with the xl. That said, Michael Fisher is pretty pro windows phone in general and stuff uses his 950.

I graduated to a 950xl and it is night and day to the 640 in quality. Is it worth $300 more? Relative to the cost of phones in general, yes. Windows phones, probably not. I like it a bunch. It is large. I have issues with it in my pocket mashing the power button while I am sitting, and it restarts.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
So I need a phone that can type and render Tibetan text. iPhone can do this but I hate being beholden to iTunes. For the last few years I've been rooting android devices but as this becomes more and more involved and I become less and less excited about having to set up whatever I'm not looking forward to doing the dance again. My current phone has a problem with the USB port so I'm going to have to get a new phone soon.

Is Windows phone worth looking at? My only weird app needs are a counter that increments when I tap the screen. If Windows phone uses the same language options as Windows then it should be able to add Tibetan Language without me spending hours doing the root and bootloader unlock incantations so I might actually be considering this.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Paramemetic posted:

So I need a phone that can type and render Tibetan text. iPhone can do this but I hate being beholden to iTunes. For the last few years I've been rooting android devices but as this becomes more and more involved and I become less and less excited about having to set up whatever I'm not looking forward to doing the dance again. My current phone has a problem with the USB port so I'm going to have to get a new phone soon.

Is Windows phone worth looking at? My only weird app needs are a counter that increments when I tap the screen. If Windows phone uses the same language options as Windows then it should be able to add Tibetan Language without me spending hours doing the root and bootloader unlock incantations so I might actually be considering this.

You're better off with an iphone. For what it's worth you barely need itunes these days - really only for manually syncing your albums to your phone if you don't use a streaming service like spotify or Apple music.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I don't really put music on my phone at all and manually launch music on my computer from folders like it's the 90s, which is why I don't like the slavery to iTunes. The fact that you can't just use the device as a file system and need to use iTunes to move photos from phone to computer enraged me, and the fact that you have to use the miserable tap keyboard is enough that the more I think about iPhone the less happy I become. But if windows phone is really also just that bad I'll just prepare myself for the rooting android dance. Thanks a lot!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I don't really put music on my phone at all and manually launch music on my computer from folders like it's the 90s, which is why I don't like the slavery to iTunes. The fact that you can't just use the device as a file system and need to use iTunes to move photos from phone to computer enraged me, and the fact that you have to use the miserable tap keyboard is enough that the more I think about iPhone the less happy I become. But if windows phone is really also just that bad I'll just prepare myself for the rooting android dance. Thanks a lot!

you don't need to use itunes to move anything to your iphone any more except music. you can do it via icloud, or microsoft onedrive, or dropbox, etc. iOS also allows for third party keyboards now if you can't handle the default one, including (if you live in the US) Microsoft's wordflow keyboard.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

The Lord Bude posted:

you don't need to use itunes to move anything to your iphone any more except music. you can do it via icloud, or microsoft onedrive, or dropbox, etc. iOS also allows for third party keyboards now if you can't handle the default one, including (if you live in the US) Microsoft's wordflow keyboard.

I'm seeing now that it can handle the 3rd party keyboards, including Google's keyboard which is what I use on my Android. 8 years of using Android devices, but iPhone also has much more robust dictionaries available for Tibetan so it would be a sensible choice. And if you can sync or copy and move files via the cloud easily now then maybe I can get past the iTunes thing. I'll give the iPhone a good long look - I'm really over the rooting and bootloader unlock game. Does Verizon still cram a full page worth of poo poo apps on iPhones that cannot be deleted? Or is that an Android thing?

Thanks!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I'm seeing now that it can handle the 3rd party keyboards, including Google's keyboard which is what I use on my Android. 8 years of using Android devices, but iPhone also has much more robust dictionaries available for Tibetan so it would be a sensible choice. And if you can sync or copy and move files via the cloud easily now then maybe I can get past the iTunes thing. I'll give the iPhone a good long look - I'm really over the rooting and bootloader unlock game. Does Verizon still cram a full page worth of poo poo apps on iPhones that cannot be deleted? Or is that an Android thing?

Thanks!

That's an android thing. Apple doesn't permit anyone to install anything on iphones, or allow anyone to block updates, like you get with android. and assuming you don't want to sync music there is literally no reason to even have itunes installed on your PC. 3rd party keyboards do have limitations in iOS, and you should give the stock keyboard a go first for that reason. I adapted just fine moving from Windows phone (which has the best keyboard out there pretty much). My biggest beefs with the iOS keyboard are the super aggressive auto correction, and not having common punctuation options available on the main page of the keyboard, other than double tapping space for a full stop - in windows phone there is a period key next to the space bar that you can long press to select a comma, semi colon, quotation marks, etc.

But you can 3d press the keyboard to turn it into a trackpad for moving the cursor around when you're typing which is brilliant.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Is anyone aware of any kind of "Microsoft services guide/comparison on Android or IOS"? I'm fine with the 950 now, however my daughter will soon need a cell phone so I'm starting my post-windows phone research since I'm assuming the wife and I will also be switching eventually in the nebulous future. I'm looking for stuff like "MS has released more things on IOS than Android", or "IOS doesn't let you do this cool MS thing because iPhones are too locked down". I basically plan on not using any Android or Apple services and just sticking to MS stuff + apps.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

OldPueblo posted:

Is anyone aware of any kind of "Microsoft services guide/comparison on Android or IOS"? I'm fine with the 950 now, however my daughter will soon need a cell phone so I'm starting my post-windows phone research since I'm assuming the wife and I will also be switching eventually in the nebulous future. I'm looking for stuff like "MS has released more things on IOS than Android", or "IOS doesn't let you do this cool MS thing because iPhones are too locked down". I basically plan on not using any Android or Apple services and just sticking to MS stuff + apps.

I had a 920 for nearly four years, and pretty much had to switch since even some websites stopped rendering properly in IE. I figured I'd hate whatever device I picked, so I just went with what was the best price point to power ratio, and bought an LG G4. I gave up three weeks later on release of the Iphone SE for three main reasons: battery life, security updates, and size.

The Iphone feels like an easier switch than the G4 did; the autocorrect behaves in a similar way, although unfortunately I can't get Wordflow since it's not on the Canadian itunes store. That's about the only difference; Office, One Note, and One Drive behaved more or less the same across both devices to the best of my recollection. I find myself "fighting" far less with iOS than I did with Android and while much more expensive, it's worth it to have something I use daily not irritate me.

The only downside to iOS is its reliance on itunes, but I don't notice it that much; my photos get synchronized to Onedrive where I can easily download them, and so on. I don't care for either's UI, but I prefer iOS to Android. I miss Qi charging and existing options are far from elegant.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

OldPueblo posted:

Other than the Microsoft keyboard not being available outside the US (on iOS at least) it's all there. You can use onedrive for cloud storage, Microsoft office for office stuff, onenote, Skype, and outlook for both email and calendar.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Paramemetic posted:

The fact that you can't just use the device as a file system and need to use iTunes to move photos from phone to computer enraged me

To be fair, an option here is to connect the phone, right click the icon in My Computer and select Import Photos and Videos, and it can just dump all of your photos into a folder named after tags or the date range of the images. (Auto rotates them too)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Other than the Microsoft keyboard not being available outside the US (on iOS at least) it's all there. You can use onedrive for cloud storage, Microsoft office for office stuff, onenote, Skype, and outlook for both email and calendar.

Can I import contacts from Outlook as well? That's basically the last piece of the puzzle for me. I'm just waiting to ditch this 640 :smith: You were interesting and I like your UI paradigm, WinPho, but boy did the support suck a mountain of rear end.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Can I import contacts from Outlook as well? That's basically the last piece of the puzzle for me. I'm just waiting to ditch this 640 :smith: You were interesting and I like your UI paradigm, WinPho, but boy did the support suck a mountain of rear end.

Of course. Even without using any other Microsoft apps, you can sync contact and calendar stuff from your Microsoft account to use with the stock apps if you wanted.

Outlook is the best email app available for iOS, and the Microsoft office apps are obviously good if you're a power user and have an office subscription, but honestly I'd just use the apple ecosystem for everything else.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

LentThem posted:

To be fair, an option here is to connect the phone, right click the icon in My Computer and select Import Photos and Videos, and it can just dump all of your photos into a folder named after tags or the date range of the images. (Auto rotates them too)

When I last used an iOS device.... Shoot, 8 years ago, this was not possible and not an option. It seems like they've changed decently since then though and I'm going to go ahead and give it a try.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Of course. Even without using any other Microsoft apps, you can sync contact and calendar stuff from your Microsoft account to use with the stock apps if you wanted.

Outlook is the best email app available for iOS, and the Microsoft office apps are obviously good if you're a power user and have an office subscription, but honestly I'd just use the apple ecosystem for everything else.

Welp, the 6S arrives tomorrow. Best Buy was offering a $200 gift card if you bought a 6S on AT&T's standard installment plan. Sorry WP :smith: Thanks for the app advice, good sir. I'm thinking/hoping the transition will be fairly seamless, but I know I'll be grappling with a new UI paradigm for awhile.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Welp, the 6S arrives tomorrow. Best Buy was offering a $200 gift card if you bought a 6S on AT&T's standard installment plan. Sorry WP :smith: Thanks for the app advice, good sir. I'm thinking/hoping the transition will be fairly seamless, but I know I'll be grappling with a new UI paradigm for awhile.

My advice is to make the most of the Apple ecosystem, it's actually really nice. You'll probably want outlook though, it's better than the stock email app (at least until the improvements Apple has planned for it in iOS 10).

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

My advice is to make the most of the Apple ecosystem, it's actually really nice. You'll probably want outlook though, it's better than the stock email app (at least until the improvements Apple has planned for it in iOS 10).

I'm pretty heavily embedded in the MS ecosystem though. I'll probably continue to use my outlook email, One Drive, Groove (year and a half left of prepaid codes), etc. My main needs are official apps (Twitter, FB, etc.) and a good podcast app that can download for offline play.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Well, you are going to be on the best platform for making full use of the Microsoft ecosystem! ;)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Definitely get WordFlow. And also, Microsoft recently released their Authenticator app for iOS, so now you don't need a Windows Phone to do Microsoft 2FA any more. Woo!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Factor Mystic posted:

And also, Microsoft recently released their Authenticator app for iOS, so now you don't need a Windows Phone to do Microsoft 2FA any more. Woo!

It's been on Android for a good while, too

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Factor Mystic posted:

Definitely get WordFlow. And also, Microsoft recently released their Authenticator app for iOS, so now you don't need a Windows Phone to do Microsoft 2FA any more. Woo!

The MS Authenticator app and the Google Authenticator app use the same algorithm (probably a standard? idk) :ssh:

I know this because my last job set up mandatory 2FA on corporate mail, and the sign up said to use Android or iPhone auth apps. Luckily enough the MS Authenticator could scan the QR code and generate valid codes. It was that or ask the company to buy me a new phone.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
So this is the route I'm taking. Thinking the one button would drive me crazy on an iPhone, and I've had good experiences with stock google in the past with nexus devices, so I signed my daughter up for Project Fi for $30 a month, and picked up a Nexus 5x for relatively cheap. I have however decided to stick the Project Fi SIM into an unlocked Moto G that I had laying around, and tada she now has a Moto G on T-mobile while I get to play with Android N and see how much adjustment it's going to be for the wife and I. :) When we eventually switch I already know I'm going to miss QI charging, there's always a compromise.:sigh: Good thing I'm used to that with Windows Mobile!

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Gah, this Dual SIM only-one-SIM-can-MMS-at-any-one-time bullshit is annoying me.

I could get MMSes on both SIMs on my retired 640 without switching assignment of the data SIM, but for some reason my 950 needs to be toggled each time so the non-data SIM can dl the message (pics and groups) and back again.

Can anyone verify the existence of a toggle switch in their settings called "allow MMS if cellular data is off"? I navigate to it by searching "messaging" in the settings (helpfully there are two sub-menus called "messaging", thx MS).

950 Dual SIM 10.0.14393.82, TMob both SIMs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Paramemetic posted:

I looked and I see Tibetian keyboard and maybe you can even set the phone language to that but I don't see it in the list although maybe I'm missing it because the script is unfamiliar to me. Anyways I tried out and I can add the keyboard to my 950 without even resetting the phone.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I had my first catastrophic phone drop today with my 950. The top corner is cracked in a web and deep, undisplaced fractures extend all the way to the other corners. Repairing will leave me without a phone 5-7 days (I have my 920 for a backup) and costs a significant fraction of a full replacement. The phone still works just fine but chips are eventually going to separate and I don't think an adhesive screen protector on broken glass is a good idea; nevermind that I refuse to walk around with a cracked phone like a teenage bimbo.

I'm on the edge between $550 for a new 950 and literally double that for a 64GB 6S less than a week away from the 7 announcement that will probably drop its price. What do I do?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 31, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

I had my first catastrophic phone drop today with my 950. The top corner is cracked in a web and deep, undisplaced fractures extend all the way to the other corners. Repairing will leave me without a phone 5-7 days (I have my 920 for a backup) and costs a significant fraction of a full replacement. The phone still works just fine but chips are eventually going to separate and I don't think an adhesive screen protector on broken glass is a good idea; nevermind that I refuse to walk around with a cracked phone like a teenage bimbo.

I'm on the edge between $550 for a new 950 and literally double that for a 64GB 6S less than a week away from the 7 announcement that will probably drop its price. What do I do?

Walk around like a teenage bimbo for a week and see how much the 6S goes down. Surely being whistled at by construction workers for a week is worth several hundred dollars?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Embrace your inner bimbo for a week at least to see what is in store?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I think I'm too invested in accessories and other stuff to really migrate. I've got iOS access already through an iPad, two Qi chargers, an armband for workouts and I would miss stuff like location-based Cortana reminders. I'd also miss the dual SIM.

A new screen + digitizer is about $250 but could take awhile to get here. At least nothing's broken but the glass.

Edit: Found a repair place nearby that was pretty confident unlike the rest who refused to special-order.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

I think I'm too invested in accessories and other stuff to really migrate. I've got iOS access already through an iPad, two Qi chargers, an armband for workouts and I would miss stuff like location-based Cortana reminders. I'd also miss the dual SIM.

A new screen + digitizer is about $250 but could take awhile to get here. At least nothing's broken but the glass.

Cortana is on Android and iOS. :ssh: