Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

VanSandman posted:

CPS bends over backwards not to take children away, and kids DIE because of it. Anyone who's kids they take away looks like a trainwreck from nearly any angle.

This is so true. Some "homesteaders" had their 10 kids taken last year, and the fringe right had an absolute loving conniption fit about it. The kids were living in a shack with no walls, surrounded literal human feces and animal feces, while dad was stealing the neighbors water and getting into shouting matches with the cops, and ending up in jail. And the kids were returned when the internet crowdfunded them a shed. Because FREEDOM and HOMESCHOOLING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Yeah, the right wing and anti-CPS people latch onto stuff like Justina Pelletier, though, and put it into the framework of "Liberals want to steal children from god-fearing Christians in order to indoctrinate them!"

Michelle Bachmann got her start in the homeschooling sect of those kind of people.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
they hate cps because they love child abuse

it really is that simple, trust me

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Space Poodle posted:

This is so true. Some "homesteaders" had their 10 kids taken last year, and the fringe right had an absolute loving conniption fit about it. The kids were living in a shack with no walls, surrounded literal human feces and animal feces, while dad was stealing the neighbors water and getting into shouting matches with the cops, and ending up in jail. And the kids were returned when the internet crowdfunded them a shed. Because FREEDOM and HOMESCHOOLING.

You're far more likely to have your children taken from you for being too liberal with your parenting, if anything.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Omarosa says that we will "have to bow down to President Trump."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYMEvuZz1RU

Skip to 3:10 if you want to see quote in question.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

NippleFloss posted:

People keep saying this, but what the media really wants is viewers and they seem to have decided that filming a three month long slow motion train wreck and commenting on the expanding carnage 24/7 is equally as entertaining to people as a made up horse race narrative that nobody would buy anyway. They've been fairly savage to trump since it became obvious that the stink of loser is all over him. Everyone enjoys a good dogpile and he's not nearly likeable enough for a redemption arc.

And don't forget he's more or less declared war on the media. Add the fact that his campaign can't even manage to parry away the usual media attacks and suddenly the media is poking a candidate in a way that they don't usually get to and there's blood in the water and everyone is hungry.

Plus it seems like there's something fundamental about the way Trump lies that seems to profoundly offend the media. All politicians lie, of course but not usually so blatantly and not about things that are as easily verifiable.

I certainly don't think this is the end of "truth is in the middle" journalism. In fact, I'm betting the media will overcorrect for the next Republican candidate –presuming he isn't Trump 2.0.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You're far more likely to have your children taken from you for being too liberal with your parenting, if anything.

How does letting your kids walk to a park and back on their own constitute "free range" parenting?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I was listening to the Aug 4th episode of Primary Concerns and they had a journalism professor who used the metaphor of technical debt, he didn't coin it a new name but I'll call it "truth debt."

Basically political journalism faces the fundamental contradiction between "reporting the world as it is" and "even-handedness and fairness." The truth isn't fair and balanced. I'm paraphrasing his thesis here a little, but the current state of the GOP can be blamed on the GOP pushing the scale too far into prioritizing "even-handedness", with the media playing along (because it's easy and because it's profitable).

So "even-handedness" and false balance has become more important than reporting facts, and this has accrued "truth debt" which keeps building and building up. This has lead to the current state of predominant false balance and equal time being given to disproportionate issues (Emails vs. racism) or ridiculous positions ("Global warming is a scam!"). Trump is pushing this to a breaking point and has taken full advantage of the structural problem. Political journalism might still have its Murrow moment and realize that when a candidate is attacking the electoral process itself, that's no longer within a horse race narrative, but calls for the fourth estate to inform the public.

The professor also ridiculed Chuck Todd for saying he's not a political actor or part of the political establishment, that was great.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

While this is 100% true, is America ready for the public realizing the midterms actually matter and giving itself election fatigue 24/7 without the blessed year or two where politicians shut the gently caress up.

I'm sure the GOP would love for widespread voter apathy for the 2018 midterms so only their base shows up. It's already bad enough that the Dems have to defend all the Senate seats they won in 2012, a lot of them in pretty red states.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

comes along bort posted:

How does letting your kids walk to a park and back on their own constitute "free range" parenting?

"Stranger Danger" really freaked out a lot of soccer moms. Moral panic has weird consequences.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

comes along bort posted:

Fewer kids, more paranoid parenting to make good on their genetic investment.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
No no guys I get that.

I thought the whole free range thing had more to do with letting your kids have forks near wall sockets and keeping subversive literature in the house, not little Jodhpur and AMRAAM strolling the equivalent of a few blocks down the road to a public area.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I don't see the media ever dropping their dependence on journalistic parity, they strained and pushed out the mental turd that is "Paul Ryan is a serious policy and budget wonk" in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Trump and his subsequent failure will just be the opening they need to push the "well now the serious adults are back in control" narrative, even though nothing fundamentally has changed about the party or its beliefs, ignoring all of the Trump rear end-kissing and justifications said 'serious adults' have gone through.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

FetusSlapper posted:

"Stranger Danger" really freaked out a lot of soccer moms. Moral panic has weird consequences.

Maryland suburbs is how. Kids who live in literally the safest neighborhoods in the country are kept under lock and key. My nephew isn't even allowed to go to the neighborhood basketball court that's 50 feet away without an adult. He's 11.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well do you want him to get kidnapped by Satanists?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Neeksy posted:

I don't see the media ever dropping their dependence on journalistic parity, they strained and pushed out the mental turd that is "Paul Ryan is a serious policy and budget wonk" in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Trump and his subsequent failure will just be the opening they need to push the "well now the serious adults are back in control" narrative, even though nothing fundamentally has changed about the party or its beliefs, ignoring all of the Trump rear end-kissing and justifications said 'serious adults' have gone through.

They already have by branding this a shakeup. Manafort is still there. Trump is not changing. This was not a shakeup.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ErIog posted:

They already have by branding this a shakeup. Manafort is still there. Trump is not changing. This was not a shakeup.

says who

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's not a shakeup, it's a fuckup.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

ErIog posted:

Shakeups this late in a Presidential campaign are usually seen as a bad sign though. Like the Trump campaign is pushing back against the idea that this is a shakeup.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

They dismiss child abuse as "Discipline" and dismiss children who die from said abuse by fantasizing that the child will go to heaven, so no loss.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

As a Democratic presidential hopeful, Sen. Bernie Sanders vociferously argued for political transparency, especially when money was concerned.

Sanders insisted, for example, "on complete transparency regarding the funding of campaigns." He decried "huge piles of undisclosed cash" benefiting candidates.

But when federal law required Sanders to reveal, by May 15, current details of his personal finances, his campaign lawyer asked the Federal Election Commission for a 45-day extension.

Request granted.

On June 30, Sanders' campaign requested a second 45-day extension, saying the senator had "good cause" to delay because of his "current campaign schedule and officeholder duties."

Again, regulators said yes.

Now that Sanders' second extension has expired, spokesman Michael Briggs confirmed to the Center for Public Integrity that the senator won't file a presidential campaign personal financial disclosure after all.

"We were told that since the senator no longer is a candidate there was no requirement to file," Briggs said.

FEC spokesman Christian Hilland verified that Sanders has not filed a personal financial disclosure. He likewise confirmed that Sanders, who technically ceased to be a presidential candidate when Hillary Clinton secured the Democratic nomination on July 26, is no longer required to file one.

A 2011 legal advisory from the United States Office of Government Ethics states that "the requirement to file a Public Financial Disclosure Report ... ends when the candidate is no longer seeking nomination or election to the office of president."

On the one hand, who now — beside political voyeurs and snoopy journalists, perhaps — would care about the investments and income of an also-ran presidential candidate who is no longer in the race?

But on the other, the system allowed Sanders to delay and delay — all while he chided Clinton receipt of six-figure paydays for delivering closed-door speeches to officials at investment bank Goldman Sachs and other powerful special interests.

(Both Clinton and Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump filed their personal financial disclosures on time in mid-May without asking for extensions.)

Therefore, in the teeth of a Democratic primary where Sanders posed a bona fide threat to Clinton, voters couldn't definitively know whether Sanders — historically one of the Senate's least wealthy members — suddenly parlayed his political fame into personal profit. Or, for that matter, whether he sustained financial distress.

Can't say I'm very surprised.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/766242738463502336

The "leaked" document linked in the tweet is amazing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Charlatan using a party he refused to belong to as a microphone for 30 years turns out to have skeletons in his closet, quelle surprise.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I've got the stupidest loving friends. I have a bunch of Jill Stein supporting friends that are pissed, pissed, about the leaks from the FBI investigation. Who are the pissed at? Hillary Clinton for bullying journalists into not releasing the information.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/766246213079498752

:confused:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/766247806961156096

Dingell is a must-follow for anyone who has misses the last oh several months of straight fire he's been laying down.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm guessing that means that he thinks the pollsters are as wrong about him as they were about Brexit. I'm surprised he knows about Brexit.

Or maybe its a moment of terrible clarity and he has just realised that his becoming president would be as disastrous for the US the Brexit result was and will be for Britain?

Pookah fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 18, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Oh, he's really gonna do it. He's going to seriously try to get his idiot followers to demand full on seccession after he loses in the largest "take my ball and go home" tantrum possible.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well, he's right, he'll be remembered as an embarrassment that was empowered by racist voters.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Geostomp posted:

Oh, he's really gonna do it. He's going to seriously try to get his idiot followers to demand full on seccession after he loses in the largest "take my ball and go home" tantrum possible.

The most plausible explanation I've seen is that he made that tweet because he thinks he will win despite being down in the polls, just as "leave" won despite being down in the polls. But, of course, the two situations are not analogous except in extremely superficial ways.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pookah posted:

I'm guessing that means that he thinks the pollsters are as wrong about him as they were about Brexit.

The polls are underestimating him by 1%?

It's plausible Clinton only has a 7-point lead nationally.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Jackson Taus posted:

Shakeups this late in a Presidential campaign are usually seen as a bad sign though. Like the Trump campaign is pushing back against the idea that this is a shakeup.

You're an idiot. It's August. The campaign just started.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ErIog posted:

A shakeup in August, a notoriously quiet month, is indeed not a great thing, idiot.

Also, the campaign has been going for 13 months with 2.5 to go idiot

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

VitalSigns posted:

The polls are underestimating him by 1%?

It's plausible Clinton only has a 7-point lead nationally.

Oh I know it's a completely delusional idea that no-one with an ounce of brains would believe, but hey, it's Trump.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ErIog posted:

That's too late, most people start their campaign years ago and slowly ramp up, jump it up a notch to get the nomination, and then really start throwing fire when they have it.

Trump constantly shits himself and still hasn't actually started running a real campaign. He's done.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Geostomp posted:

Trumpistan will be a large, narrow, roughly trapezoidal country.

At its widest, it will extend from east of Denver to west of Kansas City. Its southwest and southeast borders will extend diagonally to a point at the Odessa-Midland area, and it's northwest/northeast borders will reach a point at Bismarck. The only thing that will interrupt the arrow-straight borders of Trumpistan will be a slight bulge in its southwest encompassing Colorado Springs. Capital and largest city: Oklahoma City.

Trumpistan's main industry will be extorting fees from trucking companies for passage across its infinite wastes, and its greatest political problem will be secessionist attempts by indian tribes. Most issues will stem from a weak central government, and what central government there is will be described by the New York Times as a "...kleptocratic nepo-state".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

It's not child abuse if it isn't done in anger.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ErIog posted:

And he hasn't even STARTED on Hillary yet!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boogaleeboo posted:

That's too late, most people start their campaign years ago and slowly ramp up, jump it up a notch to get the nomination, and then really start throwing fire when they have it.

Trump constantly shits himself and still hasn't actually started running a real campaign. He's done.

Yeah, in many ways it's reminiscent of how the Bernie campaign tried to conduct itself, with the twist that Trump supporters can't claim that no one's heard of him yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pookah posted:

I'm guessing that means that he thinks the pollsters are as wrong about him as they were about Brexit. I'm surprised he knows about Brexit.

He knows so much about Brexit he was congratulating people about it when visiting his golf course in Scotland

• Locked thread