Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crayon85
Dec 25, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Their last update for content year is marked as ???? in their timeline so I'm expecting characters and multicrew for the next patch and the introduction to aliens and whatever it is in the one after that, which naturally leads into next years content.

Just going back to this point, in First Encounters, the Thargon space ships and space stations were all known as ????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

A more mundane question: As materials are often produced by Surface Refineries I'd like to find systems with surface Refineries using the GalMap. But the filters don't work for surface economies, whatever the reason. Any tippdmms on localising surface industries?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Live from GamesCom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYHJY9JZNBA

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Aliens!

Dynamic route planner in the galaxy map that updates on the fly as you change filters.

New features on planets. Fumeroles/geysers shooting out materials to collect.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Here is what we have seen in the first stream.

1. The Beluga (pretty nice bridge on this one).
2. New witch space transition that shows the destination star.
3. Passenger board with missions for normal passengers and VIP passengers.
4. VIP side missions that come while ferrying them and boost your income if you accomplish them.
5. New filters and waypoints on the map when planning a route (this is a big QoL update).
6. Geology features planetside like geysers that will tie in with material grinding etc, and give explorers something more to see.
7. And the end of the stream, there was a hint about NPC crew.

Also, there was also a hint about aliens, showing an unknown probe trying to cut the stream at some point near the end.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 18, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXs6pojh3OU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJnKzvOoDFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa3Wnqfpqaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPkF-hKXSd8

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 18, 2016

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I hope some of the VIP missions are just as terribly coded as the "We need that delivery NOW! You have 20 seconds for every light second away you are." bonuses. If I just jumped into the system I have an hour to get it to the station, if I dropped out at the station I have about 20 seconds land. "I say old chap," you hear from your luxury cargo hold. "The governess would so appreciate if you could swing by the Quickie USS and collect a canister of Occupied Escape Pod (Unique). One would be such a conversation piece in our 3rd floor guest bathroom." But in the seconds you took to look at the message you already flew by the USS and it is gone forever.

I also already run a space bus, except the passengers don't need fancy space cabins and a second mission board. I can pack them in much more tightly, they don't care where their destination is, I can get them in bulk, and they don't seem to mind if when I get to the destination I had a fuel scooping incident that caused a malfunction of the cargo hatch and a few tons of them fell out. They're called imperial slaves. Considering you can make about 4k per unit, they're probably more profitable to carry too.

That route planning filter is pretty great though. I'll never get to play the nervous fuel game I like to play where I don't look at the system map and just hope harder and harder that the NEXT jump will have a scoopable star.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Those all look good but as someone who just went from Jacques and back the ability to avoid nonscoopable stars on the route planner is just :magical:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

CapnBry posted:

I hope some of the VIP missions are just as terribly coded as the "We need that delivery NOW! You have 20 seconds for every light second away you are." bonuses. If I just jumped into the system I have an hour to get it to the station, if I dropped out at the station I have about 20 seconds land. "I say old chap," you hear from your luxury cargo hold. "The governess would so appreciate if you could swing by the Quickie USS and collect a canister of Occupied Escape Pod (Unique). One would be such a conversation piece in our 3rd floor guest bathroom." But in the seconds you took to look at the message you already flew by the USS and it is gone forever.

I also already run a space bus, except the passengers don't need fancy space cabins and a second mission board. I can pack them in much more tightly, they don't care where their destination is, I can get them in bulk, and they don't seem to mind if when I get to the destination I had a fuel scooping incident that caused a malfunction of the cargo hatch and a few tons of them fell out. They're called imperial slaves. Considering you can make about 4k per unit, they're probably more profitable to carry too.

no coercion here that's just the imperial stiff upper lip :britain:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MC2552John posted:

OK so my HOTAS doesn't work so I was wondering if this game is worth playing with keyboard and mouse, or if a HOTAS is basically required.

HOTAS is far from required — it's simply handier for some things, more precise for others, and not nearly as convenient for a couple more. Now that I have a HOTAS setup, I'm not exactly going to throw it away, but I still reach for my keyboard and mouse if I'm going to interact with station services or try to escape interdictions. I tried a XBox controller as well, and while it definitely worked, I felt the lack of buttons restricting — in time I'm sure I could have learned (or set up) proper combinations for various functions. Even so, I think it might be a better choice for surface exploration, so the only thing that keeps me from using all three at once is that I'm running out of convenient USB slots. :D

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

One more stream is on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYHJY9JZNBA

DB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iObsoqQoX-0

Also, two new videos on station interiors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgPymfKEmUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5QCdABC0lA

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 18, 2016

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I could just listen to Braben pronounce geysers as "geezers" all damned day :allears:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

That was a good segment. :magical:

I can't help feeling that a lot of that were stealth slaps aimed at CIG and their claims to “realism” and “keeping designs fluid to not limit development”. Say what you want about the results, but the way they set some kind of reasonable science at the heart of the world and gameplay design definitely creates a very clear direction for FDev's development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQaK-j1n8co

Tippis fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 18, 2016

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Also, the loving aliens again tried to highjack DBs interview. Fuckers..

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I wonder if you can freely cancel passenger missions, just like you can cancel any other sort of mission. I'm getting a funny mental picture of the captain turning to face his passengers, in the middle of nowhere, like: "ok, forget it, get out"

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Polo-Rican posted:

I wonder if you can freely cancel passenger missions, just like you can cancel any other sort of mission. I'm getting a funny mental picture of the captain turning to face his passengers, in the middle of nowhere, like: "ok, forget it, get out"

I imagine you can, but after a few times selling your passengers to slavers you'll have a hard time picking up new ones. They could also give you a bounty in the arriving and departing systems.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Did...

Did DB just say "transportation of modules and ships"??

Mike the TV posted:

I imagine you can, but after a few times selling your passengers to slavers you'll have a hard time picking up new ones. They could also give you a bounty in the arriving and departing systems.

Yeah, but there's about 7 billion systems just in the bubble :shrug:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Truga posted:

Is it? I always thought only several thousand systems are populated.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Same difference.

Also, gently caress. That interview is private now. :rip:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Interview was added as a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQaK-j1n8co

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Updated white dwarfs and neutron stars sounds like they'd be amazing. Having a neutron star shooting out jets of matter while spinning around fast as hell would be loving scary

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Updated white dwarfs and neutron stars sounds like they'd be amazing. Having a neutron star shooting out jets of matter while spinning around fast as hell would be loving scary

Yup. Proper pulsars. :woop:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Dante80 posted:

Also, the loving aliens again tried to highjack DBs interview. Fuckers..

Translate this for a laugh.

Got it.

quote:

re@clues you(')ll need pre-logistics support in a system with one star, two belts,

https://eddb.io/station/63719

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 18, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

This could easily be solved by giving you a faction-wide bounty instead. And if you kill/enslave too many tourists from independent star systems, you gain notoriety so you get a bounty to all factions.

I'd add "and then NPCs spawn to hunt you down", but that's already happening if you fly around with a bounty on your head. :v:

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
They could add a transport pilot's guild reputation which goes down as well as up so if you space or sell your passengers nobody trusts you and you only get the poo poo missions.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

The video with the aliens in it was supposed to be the last one shown in the event. They totally hosed this up, in standard :frontear: fashion..XD

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

"The hunt begins on the 28th

To find us, look for a bounty hunter.

To find more clues, you'll need pre-logistics support in a system with one star, two belts, three rings and enough radiation to turn you green."

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...l=1#post4365254

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Quick question, how bad is the faction grind these days?
Im rank 9 with the empire and would really dig a cutter, but im not sure i want to grind my balls off.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Shipyards are apparently coming to 2.2

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Dante80 posted:

"The hunt begins on the 28th

To find us, look for a bounty hunter.

To find more clues, you'll need pre-logistics support in a system with one star, two belts, three rings and enough radiation to turn you green."

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...l=1#post4365254

I found it. http://imgur.com/a/vC6nT

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Yeah, that took long.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Found a little space dick to call my own. Suck my neutron balls.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Dante80 posted:

Yeah, that took long.

It was the first one of these darn riddles I've ever been able to crack, so I'm pumped. Now I just have to wait a week and a half.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Did...

Did DB just say "transportation of modules and ships"??
I didn't hear this, was that in the 'interview part 1' video that's been uploaded now?

Dante80 posted:

Shipyards are apparently coming to 2.2

gently caress, been hoping they'd get around to adding some infrastructure forever. This is cool, source?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

El Grillo posted:

I didn't hear this, was that in the 'interview part 1' video that's been uploaded now?

gently caress, been hoping they'd get around to adding some infrastructure forever. This is cool, source?

That screenshot.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

El Grillo posted:

I think he said it in a different interview ("interview 4"), but in their confusion as to which to put online when, they seem to have posted that early and then retracted it so I can't check.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

El Grillo posted:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Elite-Dangerous-Entwickler-der-Weltraumsimulation-deuten-Alien-Invasion-an-3298273.html

It also shows a CQC structure added to the main game.

And some of the station interiors.

Agriculture

Refinery

Manufacturing

Luxury

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 18, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tippis posted:

I think he said it in a different interview ("interview 4"), but in their confusion as to which to put online when, they seem to have posted that early and then retracted it so I can't check.
He did confirm storage and transport of ships & modules in interview 4 but didn't specify when it was coming.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The Beluga looks pretty cool. I like the airplane style emergency exit hatches. I wonder if first class or luxury cabins will only be able to be installed on dedicated passenger ships like the Orca or Beluga, but any other ships can have economy cabins. That way, nerds* can fulfill their sad Firefly fantasies. Also, it would be fun to accept a passenger contract and be like, "Oops we're heading to Sag A*; hope you guys have a month or two for the trip."

*not me, obviously. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop

MoraleHazard posted:

The Beluga looks pretty cool. I like the airplane style emergency exit hatches. I wonder if first class or luxury cabins will only be able to be installed on dedicated passenger ships like the Orca or Beluga, but any other ships can have economy cabins. That way, nerds* can fulfill their sad Firefly fantasies. Also, it would be fun to accept a passenger contract and be like, "Oops we're heading to Sag A*; hope you guys have a month or two for the trip."

*not me, obviously. :v:

"Hope u guys planned on everyone you ever knew and loved being dead for 50,000 years when we get back!"

• Locked thread