Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

Booked to go see a Forester for sale after work, my wife texts me to say the same guy has an auto D5 Volvo V70 with an arm's length options list for cheaper, get that. Well okay then love.

My car budget philosophy these days is that I could lease a hybrid from work for £2500~ for a year, so anything that gets bought and running for less is a bonus, double bonus if it last more than 1 year. The Multipla cost £1200 3 years ago.

I used to be a £500/year car buyer, and would then scrap them at the end if they failed an MOT.

My Aygo was my first 'expensive' car at £2000 and i'm now firmly converted to living on the next tier up of budget cars, where you get multiple years rather than just one and at the end of it you get more cash back by feeding the cheap car market rather than the scrap man/ebay.

I'm tempted to step up to the £2500 region next, which I think just puts me in the standard 'used car' tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've had one £6k car, (6 years minimal running costs, sold for £600 with hilarious French electrical issues) a few in the £2-3k bracket, if budget allowed I'd get my wife a prius+ but that's £12k+.

I'd love to be in a position to be handing over cash for a new V90 but realistically I'm a mortgage away from that point, and by the time I get there used ones may be sub-£3k :haw:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I am basically George Costanza with an even worse dating life.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I am basically George Costanza with an even worse dating life.

Youre bald and fail?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

...George Costanza is funny tho

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I generally try to hit 5 - 10k on any car purchase. My XC90 has had absolutely no issues other than the interior fan going out which was a two hour fix. Other than that, basic maintenance.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

fridge corn posted:

Youre bald and fail?

Yes.

88h88 posted:

...George Costanza is funny tho

GEORGE IS GETTING UPSET!!!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

The Midniter posted:

Anyone familiar with jon_mischief from the Instagram scene?

The Midniter posted:

Instagram scene
I dont like these two words together.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Residency Evil posted:

My dad just bought a 2013 Volvo S60 for $5k.

It's a salvage car with "minor" flood damage. Apparently it starts without a problem and "only" had an inch or so of water in the car, so he's having the carpet removed/cleaned.

:negative:

At least he can afford to lose 5k. This is going to be a disaster isn't it?

Oof. My mom's old car got totaled via flood. 2003 Bonneville SSEi. Hotel parking lot it was in flooded over night. Parents woke up the next day to see water up past the bottoms of the doors. It fired up and dad drove it the ~10 miles home, but he said that every single light on the dash was on the whole time. He couldn't sleep that night with it parked in the garage so he got up and parked it at the end of the driveway in case it decided it wanted to self-immolate for whatever reason.

Best of luck to your dad on what will surely be a gremlin-filled adventure. :sweden:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Why are original Corvette ZR-1s so cheap? I hadn't thought of them for a long time, but followed them when they came out -- many of them were traded and put away for prices nearing 6 figures... but now drivers are sub-$20k. There was a local one popped up on craigslist with 65k miles for $18k... that seems like a lot of collectable car for very little money.

I know the OEM internals for the LT5 are NLA, but is there some other fatal flaw that's keeping them cheap?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Currently at a short layover in Las Vegas on a short trip for work.

I'm going to Southern California to watch a race of 1/5 gas RC cars. I'll be heading back home tomorrow evening mostly because I didn't want to destroy my weekend. :iia:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Probably because the base C5 comes close to the performance without all the hassle of finding parts, and the Z06 is flat-out faster. C4s are just hitting the upward section of the "cost bathtub"; they've been around long enough to depreciate, but aren't old enough to be considered true collectors just by virtue of their age yet. Their value is mostly as track toys, and the newer models are just that much better.

I would love to get one and make a Vette-kart like Roadkill's.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

meatpimp posted:

Why are original Corvette ZR-1s so cheap? I hadn't thought of them for a long time, but followed them when they came out -- many of them were traded and put away for prices nearing 6 figures... but now drivers are sub-$20k. There was a local one popped up on craigslist with 65k miles for $18k... that seems like a lot of collectable car for very little money.

I know the OEM internals for the LT5 are NLA, but is there some other fatal flaw that's keeping them cheap?
For sub $20 you can get a C5 or a C6 and be faster, more comfortable, have a *far* better chassis, and actually have parts available.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Wasn't it the LT5 in the ZR1 where Lotus had to reduce the engine's redline because GM's power steering pumps could not handle over 7 grand? :getin:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
couldnt they have just put a bigger pulley on it?????

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

fridge corn posted:

couldnt they have just put a bigger pulley on it?????

Yeah but maybe then it'd turn too slow to be effective at low speeds? The story might be apocryphal anyway but I thought it was kind of funny.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah but maybe then it'd turn too slow to be effective at low speeds? The story might be apocryphal anyway but I thought it was kind of funny.
There might be truth to that story but it could almost certainly be done with changing dia of the sheave.

Keep in mind that most ancillary drives on an engine are actually speed-up drives. In other words, the driving sheave is larger than what is being driven.

For an example, lets say you have a crank outside diameter of, oh, 8", and the diameter on the alternator, PS, or whatever is 4".

That's giving you a 2:1 ratio speed up drive (let's ignore things like pitch dia and such for purposes of this, it'll be close enough).

So if the driver/crank is @ 5000RPM the driven accessory is actually actually going to be @ 10,000 RPM.

I'm pulling sizes out of my rear end just for illustrating with easy numbers, but the rule is the same. If the driver is bigger than the driven, you're speeding up. Figure out the ratio between the two and multiply by the driver RPM to get your final speed.

In other news:
:siren: THEY FOUND CARMEN SANDIEGO :siren:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/gumshoe-solves-20-year-quest-to-find-carmen-sandiego-1.3034111

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
gently caress my job. That is all.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Enourmo posted:

I would love to get one and make a Vette-kart like Roadkill's.

Same. Also Miata-Karts are starting to become a thing and I love it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

the spyder posted:

Counterpoint: i love my job

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

My job is great, except when it sucks. But that isn't very often :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

Wasn't it the LT5 in the ZR1 where Lotus had to reduce the engine's redline because GM's power steering pumps could not handle over 7 grand? :getin:

I always heard this in relation to the Yamaha V6 in the Taurus SHO, but it could very well have been both. Outside of those two engines, I don't think either manufacturer had anything that would pull high RPMs like that at the time.

Previa_fun posted:

slidebite posted:

There might be truth to that story but it could almost certainly be done with changing dia of the sheave.

I'd expect that yes, domestic early-1990s-era accessories probably weren't efficient enough to deliver satisfactory idle / low speed performance when coupled with an underdrive that would allow them to survive prolonged high speed operation. There would have probably been other solutions to the problem as well (better balancing of rotating assemblies, better bearings, etc) that probably got nixed due to requiring too many bespoke parts for vehicles that were still viewed as a trim package, not a standalone model.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

They probably could have created a sane solution if your royalty fees for calculus werent absurd

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I always heard this in relation to the Yamaha V6 in the Taurus SHO, but it could very well have been both. Outside of those two engines, I don't think either manufacturer had anything that would pull high RPMs like that at the time.

I'd expect that yes, domestic early-1990s-era accessories probably weren't efficient enough to deliver satisfactory idle / low speed performance when coupled with an underdrive that would allow them to survive prolonged high speed operation. There would have probably been other solutions to the problem as well (better balancing of rotating assemblies, better bearings, etc) that probably got nixed due to requiring too many bespoke parts for vehicles that were still viewed as a trim package, not a standalone model.

When I had my 92 SHO, I had high revving cams for it and still only revved it to the high 7000's. I think the stories about it revving to 9k and blowing up accessories are completely exaggerated. Still, a 3.0 V6 revving to 7750 or whatever is pretty rad.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My understanding with the Yamaha SHO was that the electrical system went into full on meltdown at higher RPMs but it could've been the power steering pump instead. Either Yamaha or Ford said that the engine was capable of revving higher than what the car would allow.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I always heard it was the alternator too, but honestly, the thing fell flat on its face after like 6800 in stock form so I'm not so sure they would have bothered.

Cool motor and cool car and I really miss it though.

RIP

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I feel kind of bad, truck driver took exactly one hour to back into our loading dock at work. It is a lovely dock to back into and is very cramped but an hour to back in a truck is just bad. Even at an hour it wasn't straight and we had to use aluminum plate to bridge the gap so we could load things. Driver was in a pretty bad mood after that one.

Completely unrelated to anything but need the bounce this idea off someone... I'm thinking of making a replica of the oil pan on the f20 out of foam to play with while trying to make things fit. I don't need to exact, just close to the actual size/shape. Thinking I could put it face down in a cardboard box then use an expanding foam to fill around it making a mold. From that I apply a layer of something to protect and save the mold then do the same thing to make easy-to-cut replicas of my oil pan. Kind of a super ugly version of sand casting. Stupid yes/no ?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Bought new (cheap) welding gloves yesterday. Burnt myself while using them today.

Before buying them I very briefly googled the European standard that they were supposed to comply with - http://www.guide.eu/en/info/EN/en407.html and decided that I should be able to use them to handle a bit of steel I was trying to bend after heating with a propane torch.

It turns out that being marked as a EN407 414X4X rating differs to EN407 444X4X by 400 degrees C of heat resistance. I probably got it to about 500C to make it bend easily (It wasnt glowing but it was just starting to think about it)

Gonna read standards more carefully from now on :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

Counterpoint: i love my job

Then why don't you marry it?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Locator posted:

My fancy thermostat system is to leave it set at 77 degrees 24/7 (1650 sq. ft. house).

Just got my highest bill of the year (early July to early August) - $65 :smug:

I love my solar system.

Nest set to 76 with the auto-away. Just paid a $365 bill for July, on 1400 square feet. Ouch.
It's been cooler since then, thanks to some recent rain, and my daughter started school yesterday, so the auto-away should kick in more. It already did somewhat today.

Tommychu posted:

My job is great, except when it sucks. But that isn't very often :)

I've got a job, and it pays more than the previous one, as of this past Monday, so, OK! Still can't really comment on suckiness yet

NitroSpazzz posted:

Completely unrelated to anything but need the bounce this idea off someone... I'm thinking of making a replica of the oil pan on the f20 out of foam to play with while trying to make things fit. I don't need to exact, just close to the actual size/shape. Thinking I could put it face down in a cardboard box then use an expanding foam to fill around it making a mold. From that I apply a layer of something to protect and save the mold then do the same thing to make easy-to-cut replicas of my oil pan. Kind of a super ugly version of sand casting. Stupid yes/no ?

That should work fine. Use a trash/plastic bag as your separator, like when they use expanding foam to custom fill a box for shipping, since you don't need perfect detail. A few wrinkles won't make a difference.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

NitroSpazzz posted:

I feel kind of bad, truck driver took exactly one hour to back into our loading dock at work. It is a lovely dock to back into and is very cramped but an hour to back in a truck is just bad. Even at an hour it wasn't straight and we had to use aluminum plate to bridge the gap so we could load things. Driver was in a pretty bad mood after that one.

take a page from project binky and go with c.a.d.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Then why don't you marry it?

Common law is almost in effect and its hard for us to get to the courthouse

What with me being all up in her constantly

blk
Dec 19, 2009

the spyder posted:

lunnnnnnnnnnnnnch

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Darchangel posted:

That should work fine. Use a trash/plastic bag as your separator, like when they use expanding foam to custom fill a box for shipping, since you don't need perfect detail. A few wrinkles won't make a difference.
Trash bag will work great and make it easy to remove the part, good call

BraveUlysses posted:

take a page from project binky and go with c.a.d.
There will be excessive use of c.a.d. on this project, I've begun stockpiling large sheets from work

Adiabatic posted:

Common law is almost in effect and its hard for us to get to the courthouse

What with me being all up in her constantly
:boom:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Over a year ago I started putting together an idea for a TV show about grassroots level racing, and after slowly getting hosts attached, a production company on board, and after dozens of meetings with TV networks, I finally got word this week that a network is putting an offer on the show. I'm crazy excited for obvious reasons, but most of all I'm excited to bring AI type enthusiasm to the unscripted television world.

The great news is that the network wants to film a pilot in October/November, and while I'm thrilled to finally be moving forward with this, I'm running into problems finding grassroots level racing events in October. Most of the races on my extensive list happen in spring and summer, with nearly all of them ending in September. There are winter events of course, but they all start after october due to lack of snow and cold weather. It just seems that October is a dead month for race events.

The reason I'm posting this is that I'd love to hear about any types of races that you all have come across over the years that exist firmly in the grassroots level of competition. It can be anything involving motorsports, from cars and trucks to modified lawn mowers and airboats. Anything that is a local or regional level event. It doesn't even have to be a real race as long as it involves the spirit of competition involving motorsports, such as the Gambler 500 in Oregon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzmrAtIo0OA

These types of races are surprisingly hard to find online, so I'm reaching out to the most diverse group of enthusiasts I know for help. Of course I'm looking into Lemons, Chumpcar, WRL, etc, but there has to be more regional specific events out there that I just haven't heard about yet.

Any input you guys might have would be amazing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
In our local area, someone put together a show called Ice Racer Showdown that takes place at the lake we use for ice racing.

http://www.cmt.ca/show/ice-racer-showdown

It is infected pretty thoroughly with "reality TV disease," but the thesis I'm trying to get across is that ice racing is awesome.

Rallycross in general is full of the best people you will ever meet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm tempted to get a small buisiness loan and start a Prototyping and Rapid Manufacturing company that does CNC/3D printing work for people who send in 3D scans.

:ohdear:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

Over a year ago I started putting together an idea for a TV show about grassroots level racing, and after slowly getting hosts attached, a production company on board, and after dozens of meetings with TV networks, I finally got word this week that a network is putting an offer on the show. I'm crazy excited for obvious reasons, but most of all I'm excited to bring AI type enthusiasm to the unscripted television world.

The great news is that the network wants to film a pilot in October/November, and while I'm thrilled to finally be moving forward with this, I'm running into problems finding grassroots level racing events in October. Most of the races on my extensive list happen in spring and summer, with nearly all of them ending in September. There are winter events of course, but they all start after october due to lack of snow and cold weather. It just seems that October is a dead month for race events.

The reason I'm posting this is that I'd love to hear about any types of races that you all have come across over the years that exist firmly in the grassroots level of competition. It can be anything involving motorsports, from cars and trucks to modified lawn mowers and airboats. Anything that is a local or regional level event. It doesn't even have to be a real race as long as it involves the spirit of competition involving motorsports, such as the Gambler 500 in Oregon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzmrAtIo0OA

These types of races are surprisingly hard to find online, so I'm reaching out to the most diverse group of enthusiasts I know for help. Of course I'm looking into Lemons, Chumpcar, WRL, etc, but there has to be more regional specific events out there that I just haven't heard about yet.

DUDE

Thats awesome! Congratulations.

Its a hike, but LSPR is in October and its supposed to have a stage THROUGH Houghton this year. I can hook you up with a few grassroots teams if you want, just throw me a PM.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BoostCreep posted:

Over a year ago I started putting together an idea for a TV show about grassroots level racing...

drat that's an accomplishment. We're racing at Road America with Chump Car in October 15/16, you're more than welcome to come hang out in the pits. It's usually one of the larger events and a great time even if it does snow half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BoostCreep posted:

Congrats man. Remember us little people and WHERE YOU CAME FROM.

If the events simply aren't available, can you put it off for a few months for winter stuff or would that give the backers cold feet?

• Locked thread