Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Geokinesis posted:

What mage are you playing? As that can factor into everything!
Also what castle stuff do you have unlocked and which realms? For getting better Spell Gems there is a food that increases the chance of finding them, also the magical realm has more spell gems. (At the very least it has a shattered one where you grab all 5 pieces).

E i type good

i picked life mage. castle upgrades i have are the chef, first merchant, blacksmith and the two artifact npcs.

i don't think i have realms unlocked yet, i just got the 5th nether orb. i'll have to look up the food recipe for spells and beeline for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This is the best co-op game me and my friends have played. It's just so much fun shouting at eachother and dealing with the threats we face. I just can't wait for it to come out into Early Access so I can buy more buddies more copies.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Bert of the Forest posted:

Well this is all great to hear, guys. I am glad that despite the bugs y'all generally seemed to have a good time. :D Thanks for all the kind words! Your comments about made my day.

I will admit it is slightly concerning how quickly y'all burned through the content though haha but of course that'll all be part of the balancing act. Not that there isn't more content to add mind, but I suspected the current content would be a lot trickier to get through. :v: With that said, I'm curious to see how our level variants (The first layer for instance, can change biomes to change the way that area plays) increase base replayability.

We're working on a new update to fix some of the problems y'all have brought to light on our game, which I super appreciate by the way. This has been a very revealing day for us!

I hadn't had time to sit down and type up my thoughts on the game, can I can spitball some things I've been thinking about.

Having 3 people feels way better than two simply because one person can stay on navigation and the other on the guns, with the third running around reloading, repairing holes, and fending off monsters. The reloading bit is especially important because it means the gunner can continue to track things instead of taking their eyes off of the battle.

With two people it's a lot harder keeping up with repairs and boarding monsters, because you have to reload your own guns. I imagine it is even easier with 4 people because you can have a dedicated reloader and a dedicated engineer, and both can easily run around repelling boarders.

The medkit is way OP and needs to be tweaked to not fully heal, there is practically no danger from caves because one person can just spam medkit on people on the front. Two people with medkits can keep each other alive indefinitely through anything, while also beating up any monsters with their medkits. Caves just aren't very threatening in general either.

The bosses aren't particuarly threatening, you can easily snipe the hive from far off screen because it is so big and pale jaw's hit box is so wonky you can just ride on top of him and he can't bite you.

I'll have to think more on it later, gonna try and get a 4th buddy in for a game before doing a proper write up.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

baram. posted:

i picked life mage. castle upgrades i have are the chef, first merchant, blacksmith and the two artifact npcs.

i don't think i have realms unlocked yet, i just got the 5th nether orb. i'll have to look up the food recipe for spells and beeline for that.

What kind of perks have you bought? As Desperate Prayer and Flash healing looking pretty good for surviving.

By realms I meant more just getting favour with the mage god Zonte so you can pay 5% power balance to go into his realm next floor.

Make sure you keep updating artefacts by rerolling their stats as the max values increase as they are levelled and add extra effects using materials. Especially in conjunction with the Valkyrie soldier as an artefact with on attack effects should trigger loads with it hitting for every enemy attack. Also make sure the valkryie has the spell gems that have a chance to cast when you attack for the same reason. Otherwise maybe go to town breeding creatures (also unlock and use if you haven't yet) and see if they you get any with decent abilities that you can use more.

Try and play to your strengths such as the survivability and the perks that allow your heals to over heal and become barriers.

With my Sorcery Mage it has the castle for defence which casts spells most turns, a life wolpertinger to cast beneficial spells with every attack, an earthshaking creature than stops enemies casting spells flat out 30% of the time, a raven that boosts my teams INT by 25%, a doom hand that casts death/chaos spells if enemies dodge, and a Spectre that on hit lowers stats.

With the Sorcery Perk of every creature starting with a random 0mp cost spell gem each battle, everyone casts with increased damage thanks to the raven's 25% INT increase, enemies who cast spells often do nothing, very dodgy enemies cause more spells, the wolpertinger can attack and heal in 1 move (even better if there are spell to make it multihit, as Fury Swipes cast on the Wolpertinger means 5 extra spell casts) and the spectre makes bosses easier.

Roast some Vegetables and Bread to get the spell gem finding meal.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 16, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SaffronKit posted:

I'll have to think more on it later, gonna try and get a 4th buddy in for a game before doing a proper write up.

Agreed on all of those points, but its still just so much fun.

E: Actually, just finished it. Only three levels, which was a bit of a shame. Really enjoyed it and can't wait for more!

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 16, 2016

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
The latest Humble Bundle includes thread favorite Nuclear Throne at the $10 level.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

thanks this is all pretty helpful. that's basically how i focused the Valkyrie, spell gems with on hit procs (just the partywide Shell and an AOE dmg + scorn)

i've got a bunch of the deity points unspent because i wanted to decide which of the bigger ones to go after.

i'll see if i can get the overheal perk, that looked like one of the better ones and i was saving points until i could afford one of the big ones. with the passive mend i'm basically overhealing a couple characters every turn.

defense hasn't been a problem for me but offense has basically been me buffing my valkyrie with my ent every turn or other turn with this:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

baram. posted:

thanks this is all pretty helpful. that's basically how i focused the Valkyrie, spell gems with on hit procs (just the partywide Shell and an AOE dmg + scorn)

i've got a bunch of the deity points unspent because i wanted to decide which of the bigger ones to go after.

i'll see if i can get the overheal perk, that looked like one of the better ones and i was saving points until i could afford one of the big ones. with the passive mend i'm basically overhealing a couple characters every turn.

defense hasn't been a problem for me but offense has basically been me buffing my valkyrie with my ent every turn or other turn with this:

Also make sure the castle has the spell gems that cast upon being hit as with taunt it should get that often.

You definitely need something offensive with a good supporting ability.
Have you bred anything yet? If not remember to use the manger after creating the egg, I spent ages first time round without a hatched egg. Also unless you've got lucky with breeding guide page drops it is often better to use the breeder to show you all your creatures and just fuse the ones that will show to have an undiscovered creature as the offspring.

Worth bearing in mind once you have created a creature through breeding then it can show up in enemy team compositions.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This sounds really flipping cool, and I'm tempted to give a go, but I don't think I will because...

Isaac posted:

I play a million hours of beta then never return to the game when its done cause ive already spent so much time on it.

Looking forward to seeing it develop though!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This sounds really flipping cool, and I'm tempted to give a go, but I don't think I will because...

Looking forward to seeing it develop though!

Since you're here, should I be playing ACII now or wait a bit

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Isaac posted:

Since you're here, should I be playing ACII now or wait a bit

ACII? You mean Armoured Commander 2? Its not even out yet. The images I posted recently were from the Devblog: http://www.armouredcommander.com/blog/

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh right. I probably even could have looked that up myself. Dont mind me. (Thanks)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Death Road got a huge bunch of fixes and updates, together with a rebalancing of perks and better tactics systems. It's Good.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This is the best co-op game me and my friends have played. It's just so much fun shouting at eachother and dealing with the threats we face. I just can't wait for it to come out into Early Access so I can buy more buddies more copies.
Man, if any of our steam reviews are half this positive upon release, I'll be a happy man. Thank you! :dance:

SaffronKit posted:

A whole many good feedbacks.

Whoops! Realized that although I've been sharing the comments from this thread with the dev team, that I didn't actually officially recognize the fact that y'all went and did this little write-up, and that I saw it. Thanks for that! Indeed you highlight some long-standing issues we've had, though the combination of which certainly explains how you were able to churn through our existing content so fast. Y'all are better at our game than we are. :v: Of course being a rogue-like, the goal here is to eventually reach "infinite" replayability with our proc gen levels, random enemy/biome variants, etc. so it's definitely my top concern at the moment.

On that note, I actually did go ahead and pop out some new content today in the form of this little fellar:

...Along with a host of fixes that the rest of the team worked on based on the feedback we got yesterday. :)

Incidentally, I don't mean to turn this thread into an unofficial We Need to Go Deeper beta testing station. If this drags on too long perhaps it would make sense for me to make it its own thread? I'm a bit wary of doing so just yet considering it's not commercially available or anything, and is obviously just in a niche testing stage here. But if anyone gets annoyed with this feel free to let me know so I can pack up and go make a proper thread for it. Though with that said maybe it's worth reiterating that for anyone who is helping beta test - the best place you can post your feedback/suggestions/bug reports is on our Beta Forums on Steam here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/307110/discussions/1/

Not that I don't appreciate seeing everyone's lovely comments :)

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heres some random DRTC advice i just thought of: Dont be afraid to get in the car and go if things are getting sour. Like if your crew is tired and you already lost one you should just get moving instead of getting every last bit of loot.

Also the "get the car at the end" map can turn into an unexpected nightmare, so dont waste much time getting loot just try and get to the car asap and get any loot thats on your path unless you're really sure of yourself.

e:

Also just got an uzi and its very effective for just putting out single shots that will stun enemies for a second and running past instead of killing them.
-
This is obvious but i just did it: Make sure every dickhead is actually in the car and not bumping into zombies before you drive off
-
The special character that makes party members goes missing also makes you lose whatever they were carrying, I dunno how you can really avoid this.
-
Lost my promising game to bookstore level, I dunno if they made it harder or i just had bad luck (or skill)
-
May be a bug but my character can lift vertical tables but not horizontal ones, suggesting some similar looking things have different weights
Edit: Also vertical beds seem to weigh less than horizontal beds of the same type
-
Getting stunlocked in a doorway is a big killer for me so i've started poking my head in and out of doors and draw them through if its looking too thick
-
In the golf shop event just cop the seige, unless you have a character who you know for sure is gonna succeed at another option. You only get a morale boost and some golf clubs but you get to sleep.
-
Cabin in the woods seige just get in that cabin and loot it as quick as you possibly can and get back outside.

Isaac fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 17, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Isaac posted:

Heres some random DRTC advice i just thought of: Dont be afraid to get in the car and go if things are getting sour. Like if your crew is tired and you already lost one you should just get moving instead of getting every last bit of loot.

Part of the recent changes also made tiredness much more visible and its effects are way more brutal than first expected. A strength of :D went down to a strength of :goleft: when tired.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It sounds like from what I've been reading that Duskers doesn't have a traditional ending. Still hoping the game gets more "content," but I can't complain about the 80-odd hours I got out of it.

Got a Dungeonmans run all the way to Dread Spire for the first time, chickened out when a bunch of monsters were still tagged as "heroic" for me, then died randomly in a lesser dungeon to generic complacency whilst trying to level up some more and get my gear to a better place. Roguelikes be roguin'.

Those cultist champions or whatever they're called with the charge attack that does 500+ damage are goddamned terrifying. (but aren't actually what killed me!)

Entertaining lessons stemming from what did kill me: even in level 13 ish endgame territory, Ancient Kings outside the Dread Spire can still gently caress you up if you take them for granted.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 17, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think making a thread for the game is a good idea, but only once you've got something you can present without caveats aside from "This is an alpha build".

To put it a certain way: Nobody ever reads the readme, so make sure if you make a thread, you're prepared for the people who immediately download and try to play without reading any outside material except maybe the first paragraph about what the game is about.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Anyone else pumped for the supposedly impending release of Ultima Ratio Regum 0.8.0? If you're not familiar, it's basically an Umberto Eco simulator:

quote:

It’s a game which aims to integrate thematic content on historiography, philosophical idealism and the rise of modernist grand narratives, with the deep, complex and challenging gameplay one expects from a “classic” roguelike (and, of course, an ANSI display and permadeath). Set approximately around the Scientific Revolution, the player is tasked with discovering a conspiracy via identifying procedurally-generated clues hidden throughout the world’s cultures, religions and societies; the game features extensive procedural generation of everything from tombs and religious altars to (in the future) paintings and sculptures, any or all of which may contain the clues required in a given playthrough.

0.8.0 will be the first release in which the aforementioned gameplay is actually present; up until now it's focused on environment/history generation and there's not much to do beyond wander around. I fear that I might be overhyping this game in my head, and I'm sure that it'll be quite a while, if ever, before its full potential is realized, but it sounds like it's just completely off the loving map in terms of the usual scope of a roguelike. Also it's got lovely ANSI graphics:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Weedle posted:

Anyone else pumped for the supposedly impending release of Ultima Ratio Regum 0.8.0? If you're not familiar, it's basically an Umberto Eco simulator:

0.8.0 will be the first release in which the aforementioned gameplay is actually present; up until now it's focused on environment/history generation and there's not much to do beyond wander around. I fear that I might be overhyping this game in my head, and I'm sure that it'll be quite a while, if ever, before its full potential is realized, but it sounds like it's just completely off the loving map in terms of the usual scope of a roguelike. Also it's got lovely ANSI graphics:

:eyepop:
If this game was anything except a rogue-like I would expect the description to be overhyped and not real. As it is it will still take a mad genius programmer sequestering himself for many years to do the concept justice. This is the first I am hearing of Ultima Ratio Regum, so hopefully that already happened and I can play a sweet game soon!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It sounds like somebody vomited buzzwords onto Dwarf Fortress's adventure mode but I'm looking forward to trying it out. Yay more roguelikes, you can't ever really have too many.

I'm noticing more and more in the past few years that the games I'm interested in and that hold my attention for a long time are roguelikes and other small indie stuff with high replayability and relatively fast game times, to the point that I'm not paying much attention to the Triple A type stuff anymore, or anything that sounds linear or requires me to remember much in the way of characters or plot. When I was a kid I loved nothing more than a solid, long RPG, but I've bounced off Pillars of Eternity something like four times now.

Who knew tastes could change over time?! I hope we've all learned something today.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
If this game was anything except a rogue-like I would expect the description to be overhyped and not real. As it is it will still take a mad genius programmer sequestering himself for many years to do the concept justice. This is the first I am hearing of Ultima Ratio Regum, so hopefully that already happened and I can play a sweet game soon!

Mark's definitely a mad genius. It's a single 400k line python file, and he doesn't use source control.

He's got the brains to make it work though, so be hype. :)

It's far more focused on cultural simulation than traditional fantasy adventuring. I think it's a very interesting and awesome project.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 18, 2016

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Unormal posted:

Mark's definitely a mad genius. It's a single 400k line python file, and he doesn't use source control.

uh... This scares me. Does he at least use some sort of manual backups?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Assassin posted:

It sounds like somebody vomited buzzwords onto Dwarf Fortress's adventure mode but I'm looking forward to trying it out. Yay more roguelikes, you can't ever really have too many.

I'm noticing more and more in the past few years that the games I'm interested in and that hold my attention for a long time are roguelikes and other small indie stuff with high replayability and relatively fast game times, to the point that I'm not paying much attention to the Triple A type stuff anymore, or anything that sounds linear or requires me to remember much in the way of characters or plot. When I was a kid I loved nothing more than a solid, long RPG, but I've bounced off Pillars of Eternity something like four times now.

Who knew tastes could change over time?! I hope we've all learned something today.

"AAA" games are just the same lovely games from the 90s with a higher graphical resolution and frame rate. The only people doing anything interesting with games today are indy/rogue-like developers. If you want a good story read a book, if you want good art go to a museum, and if you want a good game go with a rogue-like (or a board game :v:).

There is also the fact that older people have less need for something to simply fill time. AAA games are full of level grinds and F2P charges now, who has time/money for that crap? :shrug:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cerepol posted:

uh... This scares me. Does he at least use some sort of manual backups?

He apparently makes a copy every night. I tried to sell him on git, but no bites. :)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rutibex posted:

"AAA" games are just the same lovely games from the 90s with a higher graphical resolution and frame rate.

Ehh, not really.

Games are way more overdesigned than they were in the 90s. For every nine bugs or quirks that would have broken a game in uninteresting ways in the 90s you'd get one where it actually enhanced gameplay in unexpected, unplanned, and utterly unique ways. Today all ten would get caught in testing or patched out down the road. Conscious design has changed too, and not always for the better; the lingering influence of arcade design principles is smaller than ever and competitive gaming is getting more and more compromised in the name of democratizing an inherently elitist concept.

Even singleplayer RPGs aren't exactly the same as they were, they just have a more successful and widespread "throwback" movement than most genres.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 18, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The thing that gets me about most AAA games is that they tend to be about consuming content / having an experience, whereas I tend to want my gaming time to be about gameplay these days. I have 140 loving hours in Nuclear Throne, because it's something I can drop into in 15-minute stretches. You can't do that with AAA games; the minimum consumption time is more like an hour or two.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

:wtf::stonk::wtf:

This actually makes me angry whenever I hear it. It's almost zero effort for huge benefits, not just to you as a programmer, but to everyone who uses your software and benefits from faster development with fewer bugs. Why the gently caress would you not use version control?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

This actually makes me angry whenever I hear it. It's almost zero effort for huge benefits, not just to you as a programmer, but to everyone who uses your software and benefits from faster development with fewer bugs. Why the gently caress would you not use version control?

Hey, whatever floats your boat. :shrug:

URR is really cool, so I figure whatever crazy thing that's working for him can just go on working.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

Hey, whatever floats your boat. :shrug:

I'm with ToxicFrog; this is like watching someone digging a ditch with a teaspoon when there's a perfectly serviceable shovel right there.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ToxicFrog posted:

I believe ToadyOne doesn't use version control for Dwarf Fortress either.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
I wonder if I need to tone down the good engineering practices to be a TrueRoguelikeDeveloper.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Good engineering practices are nice and helpful, but if you're a one man dev team making a project in your spare time, the fact that you don't use professional development practices probably aren't something worth people getting actually angry over.

Sure, it being one big file is a horror. But at least he backs it up daily, which in itself is a form of source control in that context. "Doesn't use git? Tut tut" *finger wag* is kind of a poo poo attitude to judge someone's work with.

As long as it ends up fun, I don't care if he chose to write the game by hand writing code on notebook paper and then scanning it in with OCR.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't know jack about programming a video game, but even my jaw dropped when I read that. One giant Python file, manually backed up, nightly. Is this the artisan handcrafted procedurally generated video game experience, or what?

Can't wait for the actual gameplay, am still stoked. Been reading quite a bit of Ursula LeGuin lately, maybe that's why.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Someone having a strange development philosophy is probably correlated with also having a strange game design philosophy. URR being developed that way and...being URR does nothing to convince me otherwise. Someone find the screenshot with all the skills imo.

Pretty sure the URR guy posts in this thread so maybe he'll comment.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

In my experience as a hobbyist python programmer, everything I do is a horror show.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

All code is horror code, it is only a matter of degree (and perspective).

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Someone having a strange development philosophy is probably correlated with also having a strange game design philosophy. URR being developed that way and...being URR does nothing to convince me otherwise. Someone find the screenshot with all the skills imo.

Pretty sure the URR guy posts in this thread so maybe he'll comment.

one of the many, many skill trees

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lmao that's not even the one I'm thinking of, glorious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jesus gently caress there's so many of those things, this is going to be an incredible clusterfuck of Incursion-level scale.