Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

The orientation is the same on all joysticks on x-men. Honestly if space is a premium why even bother with 3rd & 4th players. It makes the control panels look wonky as hell and you'll use it maybe twice ever.

There will be plenty of 4 player TMNT and Simpsons honestly. I don't want people to have to stand around and watch. And I would argue that it does not make the control panel look wonky because almost every 4 player game other than NBA Jam did it like that. Those machines never looked wonky to me.

Random Stranger posted:

The old joke is that the first newsgroup was alt.talk. The second was rec.arts.sf.tv.startrek.

I just played on the outer sticks on a six player X-Men cabinet about two weeks ago and I can tell you they were orientated for the player rather than the screen.

Really? So if you moved the joystick towards the left side of your body, the character on the screen went left, and not up?

If so, other forums I am reading have been lying for some reason.

Did you find it confusing or jarring at all?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

OK I apologize but I am confused. I agree with your last sentence. But it seems as though you said the far left player would be using the directional relative to their facing. So if they wanted their character to go right on the screen, they would be pointing the joystick towards the right side of their body, or up/away from their body?

Right side of body. Its all the obvious and intuitive way.

Really? So if you moved the joystick towards the left side of your body, the character on the screen went left, and not up?

Yep, that's how it worked for me. Like you're holding an NES controller and facing sideways, you push left relative to you, character on screen moves left.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Right side of body. Its all the obvious and intuitive way.

Yep, that's how it worked for me. Like you're holding an NES controller and facing sideways, you push left relative to you, character on screen moves left.

Ok thank you. That's what I assumed. I have no idea why these other forums argue about it nonstop. You can see this thread here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=134020.0

People saying you're literally Hitler if you angle the directional to match the buttons. I just do not want to regret picking the wrong method.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If so, other forums I am reading have been lying for some reason.

Did you find it confusing or jarring at all?

Essentially. Obviously not perfectly orientated since the player has to stand a bit more off to one side; think of it as orientated based on the buttons with the bottom two buttons forming a parallel line to the horizontal controller axis. And yeah, at that angle the controls are a bit awkward, but there's really no position on the sides of the six player cabinet that wouldn't be awkward.

FWIW, I wouldn't put it past it being a change made to the controller bracket on that system just because people do things to arcade machines...

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Could you rig up some mechanism to allow you to rotate it and lock it into place? Then each player could decide.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

RZA Encryption posted:

Could you rig up some mechanism to allow you to rotate it and lock it into place? Then each player could decide.

I actually thought of that! What I would google to find such a thing I have no idea.

If it isn't something that exists, some entrepreneur would make a killing considering how many people like to argue about it. And then every setup would be compatible with Smash TV, too!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
As long as the wires have enough give on them all you'd need is some mechanical connector to mount the joystick in place that can be unlocked to rotate.

I mean poo poo you could even like screw it in and then just un-screw and re-screw it in the same holes but it'd be a pain.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's a problem that other people might be looking into also...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not deep into arcade sticks and therefore not sure I'm getting this right, but it looks like there are sticks on the market that do this out of the box.

Ultimarc E-Stik, the first one I found through some cursory googling.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

While we're on this topic, my pet peeve is replacing four way arcade sticks with eight way sticks. My local arcade's Dig Dug has this and I get killed by it all the time.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Returning the cheap chinese SNES flashcart I got from Amazon (it kept eating my SD cards so I can still return it as defective), but is it worth paying more for the SNES2SNES or just get a Everdrive?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Rirse posted:

Returning the cheap chinese SNES flashcart I got from Amazon (it kept eating my SD cards so I can still return it as defective), but is it worth paying more for the SNES2SNES or just get a Everdrive?

How much do you like Megaman X?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

How much do you like Megaman X?

Well I already bought Megaman X1, X2, and X3 on the WiiU..

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Rirse posted:

Well I already bought Megaman X1, X2, and X3 on the WiiU..

Then just get the Everdrive with DSP chip

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I got this arcade stick for my RetroPie setup, and it works like a charm on my Neo Geo / MAME stuff. Does anyone happen to have a recommended keybind for it? I never played a ton of arcade games when I was younger (for lack of quarters), so I don't recall what a good setup would be. Would it generally be:

pre:
- - - -
A B X Y
or

pre:
X Y - -
A B - -
?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

Then just get the Everdrive with DSP chip

Oh didn't know they had a chip for the basic Everdrive, so I can go with that and save a 100 over the SNES2SNES! :toot: Thank you.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rirse posted:

To me, playing Zelda: A Link to the Past DX with the MSU1 FMV and CD audio mod has been worth it for the price difference in the SD2SNES alone. While the Everdrive is great, the SD2SNES will actually breath new life into your SNES.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not deep into arcade sticks and therefore not sure I'm getting this right, but it looks like there are sticks on the market that do this out of the box.

Woah, thank you so much. There appears to be something called the Mag-Stik Plus that does it as well. Now to figure out which one is the better to go with.

Random Stranger posted:

While we're on this topic, my pet peeve is replacing four way arcade sticks with eight way sticks. My local arcade's Dig Dug has this and I get killed by it all the time.

Interestingly enough, the Mag-Stik Plus lets you switch between 4 way and 8 way!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Interestingly enough, the Mag-Stik Plus lets you switch between 4 way and 8 way!

There's a few sticks out there that let you do it on the fly and of course there's some that let you choose which you want when you install it.

The real challenge is the 64-way stick for Sinistar.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

So I have read that a lot of people say you absolutely do NOT "angle" the directionals. Meaning they will be the same as the middle 2 joysticks even though those are not angled. Here is a diagram:

So apparently, the example in red is wrong.

That's odd. I know the Captain America and the Avengers machine had angled sticks, but it looks like it was one of the only ones that did. Honestly it's your machine, so go with whatever you think would be the most comfortable when you're on the sides.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Phew, just powered through the entire new thread over the past week or so. I'm really interested in getting the best picture possible out of my old stuff now. Got a few questions about Gen 6 consoles:

1) I've got component cables for Xbox, PS2, and (hallelujah) GameCube. Am I pretty much all set with those? I figure the only real debate shifts to the optimal TV/monitor at that point.

2) Said component cables are currently hooked up to my main AVR. However, I'm thinking I'd be better off plugging those directly into my TV. Taking HDMI out of the (video) equation could only improve things, right?

3) I've heard GameCube over component looks better than BC GameCube games on a Wii. Is this true, or just a thing people say to feel better about spending :retrogames:?

4) Shifting over to Dreamcast... I do have a VGA box (the type with a swtich for S-Video). I saw a couple of references here about forcing non-VGA games to run in VGA mode. Could someone elaborate on that? There's this link that talks about patching certain games to run in VGA, but I also recall a post about simply unplugging the cable a certain way.
Assuming a game can't be run in VGA period, what's the best option for it? S-Video?

5) How does a PS1 game played on a PS2 over component cables compare to... whatever RGB stuff an actual PS1 is capable of? I'm not very knowledgeable on that front.

6) How does a GB game on the Game Boy Player over component cables compare to Super Game Boy on RGB?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, it's what happens when I put off catching up for so long!

So I got to have a nice long conversation with the owner of the SNES CD. This is the dad, not the son. Anyway, really nice guy. He is fully aware of Secret of Mana CD and its history and he is very determined to get a copy somehow. I thought it was really cool that he was so into the history and possibilities. He's actually a huge video game fan but simply didn't know what he had at the time.

As far as he knows, the remaining 199 were destroyed as no one else has come forward with one. Also the replacement laser cost like $400 and he should have it installed soon. Also of interest is that he is not a rich man but has absolutely no interest in selling it.

I was more excited meeting an inanimate object than I was the time I met Method Man.
'Sup, L.I. Retro buddy! :cheers:

Minidust fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 18, 2016

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Drone posted:

So I got this arcade stick for my RetroPie setup, and it works like a charm on my Neo Geo / MAME stuff. Does anyone happen to have a recommended keybind for it? I never played a ton of arcade games when I was younger (for lack of quarters), so I don't recall what a good setup would be. Would it generally be:

You probably want something that's going to let you rest a finger on each key you're going to actively use, so you probably don't want to go square. Either go with a row, or there's also:

pre:
B X Y -
A - - -
which gets you a bit more of a curve for your fingers.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Minidust posted:

Phew, just powered through the entire new thread over the past week or so. I'm really interested in getting the best picture possible out of my old stuff now. Got a few questions about Gen 6 consoles:

1) I've got component cables for Xbox, PS2, and (hallelujah) GameCube. Am I pretty much all set with those? I figure the only real debate shifts to the optimal TV/monitor at that point.

The only way up from there is to hook the Xbox and PS2 up to a surround sound receiver via optical for surround sound, but for picture quality, it's as good as you're going to get. (for surround sound on the GC, you use the analog audio cables and set your receiver to decode Pro Logic II

Minidust posted:

2) Said component cables are currently hooked up to my main AVR. However, I'm thinking I'd be better off plugging those directly into my TV. Taking HDMI out of the (video) equation could only improve things, right?

Eh, it's probably gonna be a wash unless your receiver is really bad at upscaling.

Minidust posted:

3) I've heard GameCube over component looks better than BC GameCube games on a Wii. Is this true, or just a thing people say to feel better about spending :retrogames:?

See for yourself

IMHO, it's pretty much a wash.

Minidust posted:

4) Shifting over to Dreamcast... I do have a VGA box (the type with a swtich for S-Video). I saw a couple of references here about forcing non-VGA games to run in VGA mode. Could someone elaborate on that? There's this link that talks about patching certain games to run in VGA, but I also recall a post about simply unplugging the cable a certain way.
Assuming a game can't be run in VGA period, what's the best option for it? S-Video?
Yep, S-video

Minidust posted:

5) How does a PS1 game played on a PS2 over component cables compare to... whatever RGB stuff an actual PS1 is capable of? I'm not very knowledgeable on that front.

Exactly the same

Minidust posted:

6) How does a GB game on the Game Boy Player over component cables compare to Super Game Boy on RGB?
There's some timing difference with the SGB running slightly slower to match the SNES CPU, also a lot of gameboy games have special SGB-specific enhancements that the GBP doesn't replicate.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Note that if you can import a Super Game Boy 2, it has accurate timing for the Game Boy, as well as having the link cable port added.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Baron Snow posted:

You probably want something that's going to let you rest a finger on each key you're going to actively use, so you probably don't want to go square. Either go with a row, or there's also:

pre:
B X Y -
A - - -
which gets you a bit more of a curve for your fingers.

Square shape works for fighting games, because you're either hitting one or the other and you just need lots of buttons close together so you can hit them fast and don't need to use your pinky or anything.

But for other arcade games I agree, that shape you posted is the ideal shape for games like Aero Fighters, Metal Slug, etc. all your standard arcade stuff.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

It was "Forensic Files" in the episode called "Shear Luck".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JT0xhK5Cjo

I remember my wife and I laughing our assess off that the police actually handed him the disk. "Oh here's the evidence to put this man away for life, and he would like to see it for a brief moment? Sure why not"

Anyway, enjoy the episode. It's one of my favorites.

Thanks for the hookup bro, such a drat good episode! Forensic Files and the New Detectives were my fav shows ever for a while so that's awesome, and man I love the cool rear end episode titles. I remember one about a guy who left a bare footprint on a hamburger bun of all things (he emptied out the bag to put a bloody knife in or some jazz) and it was titled "Purebread Murder" haha.

flyboi posted:

The orientation is the same on all joysticks on x-men. Honestly if space is a premium why even bother with 3rd & 4th players. It makes the control panels look wonky as hell and you'll use it maybe twice ever.

I don't 4 player MAME too often, but when I do we usually just whip out the OG xbox and use 4 controllers so we aren't all smushed together near my small cabinet and the wall it's next to. I've got 2 controllers that can break out for p3 and p4 but it would be cool to have a 4p control panel I admit, just won't work in my setup at all.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

I apologize how far back this reply is from. I am off the internet for 2 days and 7 pages of posts goes by.

You check it by turning it at a severe angle and seeing if the colors change the same way on the top screen as they do on the bottom. If you see drastic color changes on the top (you WILL see them on the bottom) then you have a TN panel.

For what it's worth, the two SFC n3ds consoles I ordered both had TN panels :(

I am thinking Nintendo only used IPS back when the n3ds XL first came out because if you remember, there was a shortage of them and they were probably sourcing screens from anywhere possible.

It was "Forensic Files" in the episode called "Shear Luck".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JT0xhK5Cjo

I remember my wife and I laughing our assess off that the police actually handed him the disk. "Oh here's the evidence to put this man away for life, and he would like to see it for a brief moment? Sure why not"

Anyway, enjoy the episode. It's one of my favorites.

I was able to find video game posts on usenet from 1989. One guy describing Mario 3 (some Japanese preview version) was magical. Sadly, Google for some godforsaken reason completely got rid of the ability to search their archives. It used to work back in 2013 or so. I made a bunch of posts in the old thread directly linking to them but good luck sorting through my 80,000 posts in that thread.

I loved Gamefan but after they gave Earthbound a terrible review I cancelled my subscription like a whiny 13 year old (which I was).

Edit: oops, looks like I messed up and I was confusing them with Game Player's:

You're part of the reason this game failed, Lundrigan. Blood is on your hands!!

I have that issue. And also the one where chris slate declares battle arena toshinden the best game ever made lol.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Instant Sunrise posted:

The only way up from there is to hook the Xbox and PS2 up to a surround sound receiver via optical for surround sound, but for picture quality, it's as good as you're going to get. (for surround sound on the GC, you use the analog audio cables and set your receiver to decode Pro Logic II
Nice! Yeah I've got the optical all hooked up for Xbox and PS2. I've heard, however, that PS2 only does 5.1 audio for DVD movies, and video cutscenes in select games. Is this the case? I've been thinking about routing RCA audio through my TV and out to the receiver for DC and GCN - this would free up some stereo inputs on the receiver, and give me the option of using TV speakers with those consoles too if I wanted. Might lump the PS2 in with that lot if there isn't enough reason to devote an optical input to it.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Eh, it's probably gonna be a wash unless your receiver is really bad at upscaling.

See for yourself

IMHO, it's pretty much a wash.

Exactly the same

There's some timing difference with the SGB running slightly slower to match the SNES CPU, also a lot of gameboy games have special SGB-specific enhancements that the GBP doesn't replicate.
Good info, thanks! I did just get a physical copy of DK '94, as it's supposed to be the quintessential "enhanced" Super GB game. :cool:

I'll need a good CRT with S-Video eventually. My main TV supports it, but it's a modern plasma so it just looks a step better than composite really.

I just picked up the DC version of Next Tetris, and it's listed as "VGA patchable" on that site linked earlier. For reference:

quote:

Quick how to patch
To Patch a game to VGA open up the cdi image in a hex editor and search for "JUE" if it finds the correct pos there is a 7 number string 5 bytes after it (if not use find next also you might want to use a match case search), change that string to "0799A10"
Anyone familiar with this process? Is it talking about ISOs and CDRs here or something completely different? Again, if that method where you just mess around with your VGA cable is an actual thing, I'm fine with just doing that.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's an interesting gimmick but these sticks look pretty bad for actually playing games with, if that matters. I would only use them on the side sticks and go with sanwa or seimitsu for the main player sticks, or leave those off entirely

e: the "magnet centering" of the mag-stick also has me weary, it's really hard to replicate the action of a spring like that

d0s fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 18, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah just going to buy the Everdrive. While it a shame I can't play Mega Man X2 or Star Fox on the flashcart, I am fine with not paying 100 dollars more for this minor difference. Especially when I have Mega Man X2, X3, and Mario RPG over on the WiiU.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rirse posted:

Yeah just going to buy the Everdrive. While it a shame I can't play Mega Man X2 or Star Fox on the flashcart, I am fine with not paying 100 dollars more for this minor difference. Especially when I have Mega Man X2, X3, and Mario RPG over on the WiiU.

okay thanks for the update

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

okay thanks for the update

Speaking of updates, I hope you do more of the systems in the OP, as those are good reads.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Minidust posted:

'Sup, L.I. Retro buddy! :cheers:

My parents live there. I did a bunch of years ago. I always make it a point to visit them when things like that are going on. They have a grandchild now so I am in the area all the time.

d0s posted:

It's an interesting gimmick but these sticks look pretty bad for actually playing games with, if that matters. I would only use them on the side sticks and go with sanwa or seimitsu for the main player sticks, or leave those off entirely

e: the "magnet centering" of the mag-stick also has me weary, it's really hard to replicate the action of a spring like that

Ah thank you for letting me know. Any idea if the Mag-Stik Plus is any better?

Rirse posted:

You will see the MSU1 version of A Link to the Past running on an SD2SNES and you will forever regret not getting it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

It looks better but idk how good the magnet centering thing would feel. I would definitely only use either on the corners that give you problems

e:

Rirse posted:

Speaking of updates, I hope you do more of the systems in the OP, as those are good reads.

I'm in the middle of moving right now and it's a total bitch so I have no time to work on it, but I'll be settled by next week and have time for that stuff again

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

My parents live there. I did a bunch of years ago. I always make it a point to visit them when things like that are going on. They have a grandchild now so I am in the area all the time.

You will see the MSU1 version of A Link to the Past running on an SD2SNES and you will forever regret not getting it.

A shame, but strangely I don't play Link to the Past that much. Think trying to play this awful free MMO that used assets from it really hurt my enjoyment of the game for the longest time. That does sound nice through.

Anyway, now that I am done with getting flash carts for the NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis, I am thinking of getting one for the Turbograhix/PC Engine. OP mentions not buying a Turbographix and just get a PC Engine at this point. Besides having better output for videos, is the console better quality with the PC Engine? I remember getting one for a kid and it breaking within a week so my parents had to return it to Toys R Us and got a SNES instead (which is a blessing in disguise). But due to this, I am worry about fragile the unit can be, especially when you add twenty years to the system.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

d0s posted:

It looks better but idk how good the magnet centering thing would feel. I would definitely only use either on the corners that give you problems
The higher your player number, the shittier your controller unless you bring your own. A good retrogaming tradition.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe I won't bother with the Mag-Stik Plus. The rotation thing sounds awesome but a lot of people seem to complain about it not feeling the same or something. Plus they are almost $40 per stick and I already have 4 Happs I got for $8 each. I guess it's not a big deal as there's only about 20 or so games that really benefit from a 4-way joystick. I actually want it more for the rotation capability.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Both of you, go play The Last Story this instant! :colbert:

I'm in the same boat as Random Stranger, except its 60 hour work/school weeks. But The Last Story did survive the test of five or so minutes of playing to decide if I wanted to keep it which is especially impressive since I went in expecting to dislike it. Which other big rpg series does the "run into the monster to fight" combat system, Ys?

But it does feel good to clean out the games you'll never play. It lets you focus on the others you do want to get into.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
Just a heads up that Everdrive GBA seems to not work with like, the majority of micro SD cards that exist. Hopefully a firmware update can fix it (I'm 0/2 so far), and hopefully I can actually update the firmware considering that it requires, you know, reading off of an SD card.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Maybe I won't bother with the Mag-Stik Plus. The rotation thing sounds awesome but a lot of people seem to complain about it not feeling the same or something. Plus they are almost $40 per stick and I already have 4 Happs I got for $8 each. I guess it's not a big deal as there's only about 20 or so games that really benefit from a 4-way joystick. I actually want it more for the rotation capability.

There's a lot more games that benefit from four ways than just twenty. 90% of stuff from before 1983 is a good start.

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm in the same boat as Random Stranger, except its 60 hour work/school weeks.

High five for overdoing schooling. I'm taking a break from a ten page assignment on the geography of east Asia at the moment. It's part of a self-paced course that I have to do as much of as possible before my proper classes start on Monday and for the past week I've been writing about one of those a day. When classes hit on Monday I'll technically be enrolled in 19 credit hours including that course with nice long labs five days a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

A shame, but strangely I don't play Link to the Past that much. Think trying to play this awful free MMO that used assets from it really hurt my enjoyment of the game for the longest time. That does sound nice through.

Anyway, now that I am done with getting flash carts for the NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis, I am thinking of getting one for the Turbograhix/PC Engine. OP mentions not buying a Turbographix and just get a PC Engine at this point. Besides having better output for videos, is the console better quality with the PC Engine? I remember getting one for a kid and it breaking within a week so my parents had to return it to Toys R Us and got a SNES instead (which is a blessing in disguise). But due to this, I am worry about fragile the unit can be, especially when you add twenty years to the system.

1. You'd want a PC Engine Core Grafx (so grey, with blue or orange lettering), not the original white one (baller as it may be in appearance). The Core Grafx does composite video output, while the original white one only does RF unless you mod it.
2. I haven't heard of the TG16 being especially failure-prone, but it used a bigger PCB and (from a glance at Google Images) probably has more space to shake and knock poo poo around in. The PC Engine is very small and compact, so it might be more durable in that regard, stepping on it and all that aside.

If you're getting into the PCE/TG16 game, you'll want to consider how badly you want CD games, and when. If you can foresee yourself wanting to play CD games in the immediate future, you might be better off ponying up the money now for a Duo-R system with built-in CD drive. Otherwise, you'd be looking at having to get the "briefcase" CD-ROM interface unit and drive down the road.

• Locked thread