Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pakled posted:

Wasn't Hulk Hogan's suit against Gawker over them releasing a sex tape of him without his consent?

Like, yeah, he's a shithead, but at the same time, websites shouldn't be able to get away with that.

Yes, but Thiel bankrolled the lawsuit and had his lawyers structure it in such a way that Gawker's journalism insurance wouldn't kick in and just pay off Hogan. It was vindictive by design.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
efb

To me there's a difference between Hogan getting a payout, which I am generally okay with though gently caress Hogan, and a Billionaire funding an attack specifically targeted at shutting down a site, and ruining the owner.

Like their legal team specifically rescinded a charge that would have allowed them to pay Hogan whatever the hell the judgement was with their insurance money. This was a literal targeted attack at a news org because they pissed off Peter Thiel.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Billionaires should all be sent to the countryside.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah this is a disaster for free press.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

"After nearly fourteen years of operation, Gawker.com will be shutting down next week. The decision to close Gawker comes days after Univision successfully bid $135 million for Gawker Media’s six other websites, and four months after the Silicon Valley billionaire Peter Thiel revealed his clandestine legal campaign against the company."

Looks like maybe the other six are staying open? The release isn't clear.

The reason is I'm demonstrating you can't see a difference in incarceration trends before or after the crime bill.

All news reports I'm seeing are saying that the rest of their sites will stay open.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Dexo posted:

efb

To me there's a difference between Hogan getting a payout, which I am generally okay with though gently caress Hogan, and a Billionaire funding an attack specifically targeted at shutting down a site, and ruining the owner.

Like their legal team specifically rescinded a charge that would have allowed them to pay Hogan whatever the hell the judgement was with their insurance money. This was a literal targeted attack at a news org because they pissed off Peter Thiel.

in fairness, gawker outed him which is *kind of terrible* so it's not like his grievance isn't entirely unwarranted.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Yeah this is a disaster for free press.

but also this

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dexo posted:

efb

Hogan also had to agree to it. Any relevant lawyer could have potentially told him this was an option.

Like, the critical component is Hogan saying "yes, I would rather watch them burn than get money."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

At least the Las Vegas Review Journal will never get bankrupted by a billionaire!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

in fairness, gawker outed him which is *kind of terrible* so it's not like his grievance isn't entirely unwarranted.

Wasn't him being gay pretty common knowledge though?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

seiferguy posted:

All news reports I'm seeing are saying that the rest of their sites will stay open.

Well good I like those sites.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Here's the full incarceration graph in case you're still curious

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Well good I like those sites.

Same. Jezebel and Deadspin are good. Kotaku is, to an extent too, if only because they've become the prime target for a certain movement...

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He was "out" in Silicon Valley from what I understand.

And I always lol when people are like "b-b-but he didn't want his Saudi Investors to know!"

Ok, easy solution there. Don't take disgusting Saudi money.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Wasn't him being gay pretty common knowledge though?

Outing someone publicly, even if they're out privately to friends, is lovely regardless of how big of a piece of poo poo you are as a person. The absolute only time I am even remotely willing to accept it as an ethical journalistic practice is if that person is actively harming the LGBT community (e.g., if you're an elected official pushing policies that will harm the LGBT community and you're actively lying about being a member of that community.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Then I would also be okay with Gawker's insurance having to pay out to him for whatever damages a court rules that that caused him.

I hate that our legal system allows for rich assholes to completely ruin someone because they have no shot to put up the funds necessary to defend themselves.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/766320005873016832

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Outing someone publicly, even if they're out privately to friends, is lovely regardless of how big of a piece of poo poo you are as a person. The absolute only time I am even remotely willing to accept it as an ethical journalistic practice is if that person is actively harming the LGBT community (e.g., if you're an elected official pushing policies that will harm the LGBT community and you're actively lying about being a member of that community.)

Good news! He's a Republican.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

greatn posted:

Both are important.

All floods matter?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

He was "out" in Silicon Valley from what I understand.

And I always lol when people are like "b-b-but he didn't want his Saudi Investors to know!"

Ok, easy solution there. Don't take disgusting Saudi money.

Nah, it's not cool to out someone because you don't like them. Even if they're out to "some people" or if it's an open secret.

GalacticAcid posted:

Good news! He's a Republican.

He's a Libertarian, and a private citizen.

Please don't make me defend him anymore by being real wrong about this.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm not gloating about them getting shut down, but what they did to Hogan is still really lovely.

In this case, yes, the truth is actually in the middle.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

zoux posted:

The reason is I'm demonstrating you can't see a difference in incarceration trends before or after the crime bill.

so you're saying there can only be one cause to the crazy rear end incarceration rate, so the crime bill can't be it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Gawker was a terrible garbage website for garbage people and had absolutely abysmal business practices epitomizing the worst of journalism but it's still bad that a billionaire shut it down I guess? I can't say I'll really mourn a site mostly renowned for sex tapes and outing people.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
what does thiel's level of wealth have to do with it

I'm as opposed to "crushing people under legal bills" as much as anyone, but he crushed them under tricky law tactics. They were destroyed by the decision, not by the cost of court, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Jaunts posted:

Here's the full incarceration graph in case you're still curious

drat what happened in 1980

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

I'm as opposed to "crushing people under legal bills" as much as anyone, but he crushed them under tricky law tactics. They were destroyed by the decision, not by the cost of court, right?

you have to have a lot of money to prosecute this kind of case

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Outing someone is usually viewed as a terrible no-no unless that person spouts out anti-gay views. Then it's more viewed as pointing out hypocrisy.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Nah, it's not cool to out someone because you don't like them. Even if they're out to "some people" or if it's an open secret.

He's a Libertarian, and a private citizen.

Please don't make me defend him anymore by being real wrong about this.

Billionaires are not private citizens and Libertarians are not real, but I respect your moderation here.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So what happens to Gawker Media and Gawker.com now if they do win on appeal and don't have to pay the $140 mil?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's possible to simultaneously be troubled by a rich dude using the courts to effectively destroy a news outlet over a grudge and acknowledge that Gawker made their position really loving hard to defend.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Peter Thiel is an rear end in a top hat. Gawker are assholes as well. Nobody wins. That's my opinion in a nutshell.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's possible to simultaneously be troubled by a rich dude using the courts to effectively destroy a news outlet over a grudge and acknowledge that Gawker made their position really loving hard to defend.

That is my position, yes.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
I could really get used to this whole “no private prisons” thing

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

you have to have a lot of money to prosecute this kind of case

Yep, especially since in the appeals process you often have to have the cash on hand to put whatever damages there are in escrow while you are appealing the decision.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

So what happens to Gawker Media and Gawker.com now if they do win on appeal and don't have to pay the $140 mil?

Univision holds a big rear end party, I suppose.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

zoux posted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ReutersTech/status/766321213232807936

RIP the alt right.

Milo has completely disappeared since they shut down his twitter.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Like Hogan, even being fairly well off relative to anyone in this thread, likely could not have afforded to prosecute that kind of case on his own.

It's why, for example, Donald Trump's companies are able to grift small businesses he contracts through because they lack the resources to effectively win a court battle even if, on merit, they're right.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

no, as far as I know Gawker itself was buried under court costs, while the individual writers were destroyed by the punitive damages awarded. also to put this into perspective, the video that accompanied the story was two minutes of highly-edited footage from the 30 minute sex tape, and less than 10 seconds of those 2 minutes were from the sex parts, the rest was racist ranting. this is well within the usual tests for public interest.

edit: especially given how openly and often hogan bragged about his extramarital affairs. it's also worth noting that stills from the sex tape were published by other journo outfits as well without them being sued.

botany fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

zoux posted:

The war on black people drugs.

• Locked thread