Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Oh I was just being a grumpy fuddy-duddy Atom.

It is true however, that everything is some shade or another of horrible now. Don't even try to defend anything. Everything is insufferable.

Something Awful in one form or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I'll always be here for you buddy! Chin up! :glomp:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Propaganda Machine posted:

I tried watching an episode of Full Frontal and I just really couldn't get behind her politics, nor the way she presented them. If it had made me giggle that would have been one thing, but I found her tone and jokes just...unfunny.

She was pretty drat okay on TDS though. It's a shame. I'm glad she has a show for the sake of it, I just wish it were better.

Man, I don't even know what to say. Sometimes I like Full Frontal more than Last Week Tonight.

Maybe I'm a Samantha Bee fanboy. There are worse things, I suppose.

EDIT: I vape, too :v:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd definitely rather snuggle with Samantha Bee than John Oliver. John feels like the better listener though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I thought Sam Bee was some of the best poo poo on TDS, but full frontal is a garbage fountain to me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I tried watching an episode of Full Frontal and I just really couldn't get behind her politics, nor the way she presented them. If it had made me giggle that would have been one thing, but I found her tone and jokes just...unfunny.

She annoyed me at times when she was extremely anti-Bernie Sanders seemingly for the sole reason of Hillary having lady parts, but overall she's fine. So if that was it give her another shot.

Woden
May 6, 2006

IRQ posted:

She annoyed me at times when she was extremely anti-Bernie Sanders seemingly for the sole reason of Hillary having lady parts, but overall she's fine. So if that was it give her another shot.

The episode that really stood out for me was the post Florida nightclub shooting one, that episode was amazing for the righteous anger it had and I'd put it up there with the best Stewart TDS episodes. If anything watch that episode and then maybe go from there if you dig it, I don't always agree with her opinions but love the conviction of it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me, there was an Amy Schumer fake commercial for a powerless gun lawyer and it got a lot of articles which even included links to the video but it got taken down before I could view it. Has anyone seen it?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

She was pretty drat okay on TDS though. It's a shame. I'm glad she has a show for the sake of it, I just wish it were better.

Sounds like the Samantha Bee I know.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

RandomPauI posted:

That reminds me, there was an Amy Schumer fake commercial for a powerless gun lawyer and it got a lot of articles which even included links to the video but it got taken down before I could view it. Has anyone seen it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/amy-schumer-deleted-gun-control-sketch_us_576d0b53e4b017b379f592ec

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Sam B is good.

I mean that's all there really is to say some people can't just put their dumbass politics aside and like someone, especially the berniebros i guess. In other news john oliver is good?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

People don't dislike Sam B because she criticized Bernie, they don't like her because she has never been funny.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Veskit posted:

I mean that's all there really is to say some people can't just put their dumbass politics aside and like someone, especially the berniebros i guess. In other news john oliver is good?

To be fair, if you're really "putting politics aside," I'm not sure what you're even watching these shows for.

Personally, I think Oliver is putting on a better show, but they're both doing pretty well and carving out their own niches. I'm glad we have both, and I'm glad they both took the TDS formula in different directions.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

punk rebel ecks posted:

People don't dislike Sam B because she criticized Bernie, they don't like her because she has never been funny.

Second that. She's also on a garbage network that mostly plays Seth Macfarlane's poo poo reruns. Other than that and her stiff delivery, she's p.ok I guess.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
This is admittedly a dumb criticism, but Full Frontal would be a better show if she just had a desk. The way she presents the show standing next to a frame of whatever she's talking about makes me feel like I'm watching Tosh.0 or something.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This is admittedly a dumb criticism, but Full Frontal would be a better show if she just had a desk. The way she presents the show standing next to a frame of whatever she's talking about makes me feel like I'm watching Tosh.0 or something.

They probably have roughly the same budget.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I miss when all these people were all on the same show.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

I miss when all these people were all on the same show.

Ain't that the truth.

But you can pry Last Week Tonight and Full Frontal from my cold, dead hands. Anyone who doesn't appreciate Sam needs to watch this bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usgOsNhkKVE

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

sam b is funnier on her show than she ever was on the daily show

i think she deserves a desk though

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Full Frontal is fine and just the fact that it goes viral ever (unlike the nuDaily Show and Larry Wilmore) leads me to believe it will be around a while.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Full Frontal is great and I like not having a desk. She's started to use her team more for pieces too.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Jon Stewart was Alexander and the ex-correspondents and Trevor are the Diadochi. Colbert is Ptolemy, Trevor is Cassander, Samantha is Antigonus, John is Seleucus and Wilmore is Lysimachus.

Meanwhile what we really need is a glorious new Roman age.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

So john oliver's kingdom will outlast everybody else's and even survive to harass the romans

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

hemophilia posted:

So john oliver's kingdom will outlast everybody else's and even survive to harass the romans

That I can get behind.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Which correspondent finds Christianity and makes it the state religion?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Aziz Ansari

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Eh, I don't think any of those guys need to be behind a desk any more than they need to be standing up for no reason; it's just a personal preference thing. Trevor even started standing up for the opening, which I'm sure was partly because he was comfortable doing that being a stand-up comedian (like Jon Stewart.)

You're right though, now that you mentioned it Full Frontal does resemble Tosh in that presentation.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

sam b is funnier on her show than she ever was on the daily show
Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of her as a correspondent, but she's brilliant as a host.

For me it's her sincere incredulous rage. That's the good poo poo. But it only works if you agree with what she's getting mad about. Whoever said to set aside politics for her was really missing the point. Her show probably just isn't funny or satisfying if you don't agree with her.

I supported Sanders, but I felt like her rage was directed at Bernie Bros, and thus incredibly justified, so that part didn't bother me. A vocal minority of his supporters were pretty garbage in really terrible ways, and I feel like that's even more important to call out as someone who believes in his actual message. I imagine if you felt personally attacked by attacks on Bernie Bros you'd be less amused and satisfied with Bee.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
I personally missed all that crap since I was busy playing beer pong. For like, the environment or something.

Billary adopted a bunch of the Sanders platform, so I guess that's all good enough.

Bee should still do a shot before she starts every show or something. Go smoke a joint with Maher. Whatever. She still seems to be not as comfortable up there as Oliver, and I feel that Trevor Noah is a guy that has a ten speed at home with training wheels attached.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Solvent posted:

She still seems to be not as comfortable up there as Oliver

Oliver's got two full seasons worth of shows under his belt, of course he's going to be more comfortable.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bernie bros were not a real thing but an entirely manufactured ploy from clinton surrogates that stuck because nobody could make anything stick onto bernie himself.

Sam bee can suck rear end for perpetuating it.

She was a good correspondent though

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

hemophilia posted:

Bernie bros were not a real thing but an entirely manufactured ploy from clinton surrogates that stuck because nobody could make anything stick onto bernie himself.

You mean there weren't douchebags sending death threats and making asses of themselves at Bernie events?

People really do make their own realities. :psyduck:

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You mean there weren't douchebags sending death threats and making asses of themselves at Bernie events?

People really do make their own realities. :psyduck:

I've been shouted at and called naive by old ladies for supporting Sanders. People get overly invested in things they believe in far too often. Yes people do tend to love their own viewpoints a bit too much.

I also wanted to add that Oliver seemed more comfortable than Bee from day one, or at least his self deprecation covered it well if he was anxious.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Solvent posted:

I also wanted to add that Oliver seemed more comfortable than Bee from day one, or at least his self deprecation covered it well if he was anxious.

He did host The Daily Show for a month.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

In what way does Bee not seem confident? She seems pretty drat on point, passionate, and out of fucks to give about what other people think.

Is it her occasional self-deprecating segment? I think she thinks those are funny (because they are), rather than as a legit apology for herself.

Honestly, one of the things that bothers me about Oliver is when he doesn't have confidence in his audience's attention. "I know this issue is boring, but I'll show you cute puppies at the end!" It's a pretty good gag, but sometimes his gags come off as actual apologies for feeling like he's boring the audience or something.

hemophilia posted:

Wow. You're pretty lucky that you didn't know any personally. I didn't have that luxury.

Some people are going to be dicks supporting any cause. Personally, I'm happy when the dicks on my side get called out, because being an abusive jerk about a cause is really just going to hurt the thing you care about.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Eiba posted:

Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of her as a correspondent, but she's brilliant as a host.

For me it's her sincere incredulous rage. That's the good poo poo. But it only works if you agree with what she's getting mad about. Whoever said to set aside politics for her was really missing the point. Her show probably just isn't funny or satisfying if you don't agree with her.

I supported Sanders, but I felt like her rage was directed at Bernie Bros, and thus incredibly justified, so that part didn't bother me. A vocal minority of his supporters were pretty garbage in really terrible ways, and I feel like that's even more important to call out as someone who believes in his actual message. I imagine if you felt personally attacked by attacks on Bernie Bros you'd be less amused and satisfied with Bee.

I haven't watched the segment so I can't comment. However if it is how you described, then I'd imagine that some would have been raged that she went on against Bernie Bros, but left Hilbots off easy, especialyl during the email leak when they began defending the shady stuff the DNC did.

hemophilia posted:

There are certainly Bernie Bros. That said there are also certainly Hilbots.

The difference between the two is that the former are more active on social media, but the latter make up in quantity of announce in quality.

In reality though both sides don't really hate each other, with actually the Hillary camp being colder to Bernie than vice versa. It's all about the fraction of the supporters.

I will also like to say that those who tend to say "Bernie Bros are everywhere!" or "Hilbots are everywhere!" are much more likely to be fervent supporters, than to actually see fanaticism displayed by the opposing side. If you took away Twitter and Facebook, I would have never seen any "beef" between the two camps.

EDIT - It is also important to keep in mind that Bernie's side LOST the election. We all saw how salty Hillary supporters were in 2008. In comparison this primary was pretty tame and things were calming down until the email leak which confirmed some of the suspicions from the Bernie camp.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The thing with the Bernie Bro poo poo and why I will never do anything less than roll my eyes at it is that it was pretty much 100% recycled attacks from the '08 primary, just with a snappy label attached to it this time. Also helped that most Bernie voters were white, so the Clinton camp didn't have to worry about straddling that racism line again.

General point ultimately being that people forget how nasty '08 was.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

He did host The Daily Show for a month.

I still giggle when I think about the Carlos DANGER dance he ran into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I only ever saw the people on my social media yelling that of course you have to go Hillary because that's the only "electable" option.

But that's the thing about social media, everyone gets stuck in their own personalized bubble, all of the views that the social media thinks you like to hear are all laid out simply, and then cranked up to 11 so you'll feel like that's the ONLY thing that ANYBODY ever says. Even if you try to avoid Facebook's particular algorithms, everything is subject to your own personally curated list of follows and friends. I always get the sense that I'm hearing only half of a crazy argument.

• Locked thread