Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Looks like he's in the No Fly Zone.

:cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So I was just ruminating on this today:

If you were the head of the design team back when Wave 7 was being designed, would you have released Palpatine? If not, how would you have changed his ability?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

MeinPanzer posted:

So I was just ruminating on this today:

If you were the head of the design team back when Wave 7 was being designed, would you have released Palpatine? If not, how would you have changed his ability?

I would make him 4 points and change his ability to this: "Once per round, you may choose to reroll all of the dice of a friendly ship's attack or defense roll. If you do so, you must reroll as many dice as possible."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yes, because the post-Raider Wave 7 meta was the best and most diverse the game has ever been.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Keep him the same just give him a range limit of 1-3

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, at wave 7 he was okay. It was the advent of cheap Imp Aces and the death of stresshog that broke Palp.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Range 1 - 3.
Two sided card that you have to declare before the game starts. One side lets him do what he does today, but for attacks only. Other side defense only.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah original palpatine was fine in the context of having something like Vader as ace#2 who is defensively kinda anemic.

When you now have a choice between an x7 defender, inquisitor, and omega leader.. yeeeeah.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The ability itself is just so crazy good that there's not really an obvious way to make it work on points in a 100 point dogfight list.

Some mutually exclusive ideas:
Restricted to huge ships only (the nuclear option)
Can only change a blank result to focus, instead of anything to anything.
Limited range (2? 3?)
Prevents the target ship from spending tokens that round
Requires carrier ship to be PS7 or higher (would probably effectively just be a 6 point Kagi shuttle tax)
Effect restricted to ships equal to or lower PS than the carrier ship (so, you'd have to pay way up into 54 point Decimator Chirpy to get the ability to modify PS9 ace dice)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Less than or equal in PS is an interesting option.

Huge Ship Only is the simplest fix.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Only attack dice. Give Rebels an Obi-Wan Kenobi crew that does the same for but for green dice. Give Scum a Ventress crew that does both but only on blanks?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Huge Ship Only" isn't a fix, its a defacto ban.

Range 1-3 could be interesting.

I feel like they've been chasing a metagame counter and either missing the mark or hitting other targets a lot harder.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

AndyElusive posted:

Only attack dice. Give Rebels an Obi-Wan Kenobi crew that does the same for but for green dice. Give Scum a Ventress crew that does both but only on blanks?

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"Once per round, you may lie about a single dice result."

My roll is a crit, from a certain point of view.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
8 points is way too much for attack only.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

If we're staying on theme, I bet Obi Wan crew is a good candidate for one of the new Condition effects.
Remove targeting computer from action bar, can choose any number of attack dice to reroll every turn
Either that or when a friendly ship at range 1-2 receives a tractor beam token, you may immediately discard it. :v:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Panzeh posted:

8 points is way too much for attack only.

Well, Luke crew is 7 points, so...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Otisburg posted:

"Huge Ship Only" isn't a fix, its a defacto ban.

Range 1-3 could be interesting.

I feel like they've been chasing a metagame counter and either missing the mark or hitting other targets a lot harder.

Because by the time a meta developes theyre about 2 waves ahead in developement. Its hard to make counters with that kind of lag

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Finster Dexter posted:

Well, Luke crew is 7 points, so...

Gunner is a different kind of effect. It was basically the first good way to gently caress with green dice. Unfortunately, like the other means of screwing with green dice, it affects Academy Pilots way more than Soontir Fel.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Travic posted:

I know the conversation has moved on a bit, but as far as laser lines I had the Harbor Freight one and was super excited that the Army Painter may be better so I picked one up while I was out today.

Here's the comparison:

Harbor Freight is on the left and Army Painter is on the right. The Army Painter has a little bit of side bleed for lack of a better term. Did I get a bad one? That's about 2-3 feet off the table.

Also does anyone have any helpful thoughts about the squad I posted earlier? It's not a super serious one I'm just looking for feed back on if it has any merit.

It's not so much over since your post was still on the same page. Since I was the one who asked, I still have been mulling over the options so your post helped. Thank you.

I play only with my partner right now, so I can't really return the favor by giving feedback on your squad, sorry.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Change Palpatine's cost to 1 epic point.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

canyonero posted:

Range 1 - 3.
Two sided card that you have to declare before the game starts. One side lets him do what he does today, but for attacks only. Other side defense only.

That would be interesting with a R3 limit as well.

But yeah, if I'd been designing him, range limit.

If I was fixing him now, he costs an epic point, because gently caress palpatine.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Found this hilarious reference card in the Android Squadron Builder

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
What's hilarious about it?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

The Sean posted:

It's not so much over since your post was still on the same page. Since I was the one who asked, I still have been mulling over the options so your post helped. Thank you.

I play only with my partner right now, so I can't really return the favor by giving feedback on your squad, sorry.

That's fine. Finster Dexter was probably right and epic is just for fun. The friend who I play against just likes to play cheese teams so I was wondering if it was cheesy enough to return the favor.

The Army Painter is a bit brighter, but that's about it as far as I can see.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

The Gate posted:

What's hilarious about it?

Uhh, that (for now) that ship can only do 2-speed banks

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The dial isn't revealed. What else would they do?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

polynominal-c posted:

Uhh, that (for now) that ship can only do 2-speed banks

And I think the joke is that every ship in the game can do 2 banks, so it's the only one we know for sure :v:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
There should be a ship with its only straight be a speed 5, but it has like every other maneuver and boost, and a 5 k turn.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

canyoneer posted:

And I think the joke is that every ship in the game can do 2 banks, so it's the only one we know for sure :v:

No, it was the maneuver set on the dial in the promo article, so we know it has green 2 banks, but nothing else so far.

Edit vv: that's fair :v:

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 18, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Technically we only know one of the directions, and assymetric dials exist :P

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Won a local mini tournament last weekend against 5 others using the following:

Countess Ryad (35)
TIE Defender (34), Ruthlessness (3), TIE/x7 (-2)

Glaive Squadron Pilot (32) x 2
TIE Defender (34), TIE/x7 (-2)

I was hesitant to play since all I own is 3 TIE/Ds, a bomber, and the Decimator, but a friend paid for my entrance so they could make it an even 6. Dice kept landing on point, and after the first game I just kept taking the free Evade + Focus which mixed with the 3 Defense kept me safe.

Only real issue was the last match where Ruthlessness triggered and hit one of my other TIE/Ds, destroying it. Still managed to wipe out his TIE blob though with 2 TIE/Ds left.

Is there any cards that given the Evade action to a ship?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Is there any cards that given the Evade action to a ship?

Yeah, the Millennium Falcon title.

Also, consider replacing Ruthlessness with PtL on Ryad.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ruthlessness is bad generally, but only semi-not-bad on TIE/Ds with Tractor Beam.

PTL or Juke on /x7s.

Lone Wolf also makes them obscenely tanky but really tempting targets.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

I had only taken Ruthlessness because 4 of the 5 players were using 4 - 5 TIE Fighters and generally flew in formation, so it was like playing an elaborate game of pinball. Good to know about PtL and Lone Wolf though, thanks for the feedback!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The thing about Ryad that makes her uniquely good is that she can do green K-turns and just keep doin' em at weird distances so PTL is great for her.

On the other hand, Vess kinda likes juke more because he already has everything in one action so juke just buffs his attack further.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Panzeh posted:

The thing about Ryad that makes her uniquely good is that she can do green K-turns and just keep doin' em at weird distances so PTL is great for her.

On the other hand, Vess kinda likes juke more because he already has everything in one action so juke just buffs his attack further.

Can Vess acquire a second target lock off of his own Target Lock using his card ability? Or will it override his current Target Lock?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

With a couple exceptions, ships can only have a single target lock at any given time and a new one will replace the current lock.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Can Vess acquire a second target lock off of his own Target Lock using his card ability? Or will it override his current Target Lock?

I think the answer you're looking for is "no." He can't target lock someone and then use it twice by already having it.

quote:

When attacking, immediately after you roll attack dice, you may acquire a target lock on the defender if it already has a red target lock token.

So if Vessery target locks a ship and attacks, immediately after rolling dice (ie. before modifying) his target has a red token. He can acquire a target lock but it would override his first one (which would do nothing). He could then spend it to modify. If he had TIE/D and was going to make a second attack, spending that target lock in the first attack would mean it wouldn't be there to modify the second.

If a third friendly ship target locked Vessery's target, then he could take a focus action and in the case of TIE/D he'd get two free TLs.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dulkor posted:

With a couple exceptions, ships can only have a single target lock at any given time and a new one will replace the current lock.

Those exceptions being Redline and Weapons Engineer, for reference. I don't think there are any others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Yes. Yes.
So effectively, no benefit. He can't infinitely recycle his target locks and actually spend them like a ship with FCS can.

That's an important point in the rules about target locks when you already have one. You can acquire a target lock, even on a ship that you already have locked. It just replaces the other lock.
Why would you ever do that? TIE Advanced Prototype with the /v1 title that gives you a free evade when you acquire a target lock. So if a PTL Inquisitor wants to take a focus and an evade, they have to be able to get the target lock on someone in order to get that evade.

• Locked thread