Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ron Jeremy posted:

It's an artificial construct to make white workers feel better about themselves. Do you work for a living? You're working class. Do you support yourself through investment income or income derived from other property owned? You're in the capitalist class. Upper/middle/lower are imaginary.

But now you've grouped people who make mid-six figures a year as working class. Most Americans--I think, could be wrong here--would rather identify class status based on earnings and lifestyle rather than how you get money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

Factory probably not, but construction's usually like 40k a year isn't it? At least it is for my friends who are in it.

Family of 5 living on that and whatever a factory would pay ($6 an hour when I worked at one in highschool/college in the mid 2000s) probably isn't great but I'd still think of them as basically middle class in the 90s. Maybe lower middle.

If you can land a union job and keep it long enough to get some decent seniority, then you're doing pretty well in construction. Otherwise, you'd need to be an owner of a construction company to be clearing any kind of decent middle-class wage.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

But now you've grouped people who make mid-six figures a year as working class. Most Americans--I think, could be wrong here--would rather identify class status based on earnings and lifestyle rather than how you get money.

Okay, so we'll say working class, "working class (lol)" and investor class.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aesop Poprock posted:

Factory probably not, but construction's usually like 40k a year isn't it? At least it is for my friends who are in it.

construction used to pay more, relatively, but it's an industry undercut by undocumented labor

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aesop Poprock posted:

Family of 5 living on that and whatever a factory would pay ($6 an hour when I worked at one in highschool/college in the mid 2000s) probably isn't great but I'd still think of them as basically middle class in the 90s. Maybe lower middle.

So the factory job was less than a buck over minimum wage at the time, and the $40k a year figure for construction requires being in an area that has continuous construction work available. It's quite easy to end up having to work part time or not at all for extended periods in construction.

So you add those two together and it's really not middle class.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

So the factory job was less than a buck over minimum wage at the time, and the $40k a year figure for construction requires being in an area that has continuous construction work available. It's quite easy to end up having to work part time or not at all for extended periods in construction.

So you add those two together and it's really not middle class.

True nuff

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

fishmech posted:

Upper/middle/lower are no ore imaginary than your definitions of working and capitalist class.

It's a functional definition based on the source of income. Dunno what more you want.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Popular Thug Drink posted:

every gun nerd is afraid of being exposed as a psycho

I swear this is what it's starting to look like

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Chilichimp posted:

As of the 90's, neither of those were middle class jobs. A family of 5 with 2 working parents who are barely scraping by is basically as working-poor as it gets. In the post WWII era, 2 working parents would basically make a family rich. In the 90's and beyond, 2 working parents is becoming the standard for raising economic status to approach middle class. If neither one has a college education and have jobs that can be filled an undocumented worker, you're tripping all kinds of red flags.

Which is why it's a show about the decline of the middle class. They would have been middle class a generation ago but now they are barely scraping by. That's how the middle class became the working class. It's important.

Chilichimp posted:

A middle-class family in America today is probably closer to making 100k/year in combined income.

LOL.

US Household Median Income: $51,939

If the "middle class" is making twice the median income they aren't really "middle class" are they?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ron Jeremy posted:

It's a functional definition based on the source of income. Dunno what more you want.

Any categorization we come up with is going to be arbitrary, and working-v-investor is fine when it comes to deciding who'll be first up against the wall wall when the revolution comes, but it seems like if we're looking to track how well the current economy is treating people there might be better metrics.

I'm fond of resource security myself; if you stopped earning income today, how long could you sustain your current lifestyle yourself while you looked for a new source? For some people it's a matter of days, others weeks or months, some woyld be set for a year or even two and the ultra rich could just keep going without worrying.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 18, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Reminder that Middle Class is considered 90k+ by most Companies.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

whaley posted:

I swear this is what it's starting to look like

Well I mean this is the exact kind of thing they're afraid of. They're deathly afraid of the world in which they're considered the psychos, because that means everyone else around them - the ones who are casting judgement upon them - have gone complacent and become subordinate to the ruling elite. They think themselves to be the last bastion of hope for [insert democratic country here], and them getting called psychoes sort of confirms that in a really eerie way.

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 18, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ron Jeremy posted:

Denoting classes by color of the buildings they work in is about as relevant.

Keeshhound posted:

I'm fond of resource security myself; if you stopped earning income today, how long could you sustain your current lifestyle while you looked for a new source? For some people it's a matter of days, others weeks or months, some woyld be set for a year or even two and the ultra rich could just keep going without worrying.

There are a lot of very high earning people who'd be hosed within weeks or months, because they're spendy as gently caress even when they don't need to be, while a lot of poor people can maintain their current lifestyle way longer due to already barely having money.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

fishmech posted:

There are a lot of very high earning people who'd be hosed within weeks or months, because they're spendy as gently caress even when they don't need to be, while a lot of poor people can maintain their current lifestyle way longer due to already barely having money.

Yeah, "lifestyle" was the wrong word to use; I meant just how long could you support yourself in between jobs. Obviously some people are going to be wasteful idiots, but I still think "how long could you ration out your assets" is a decent metric of practical wealth.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

Which is why it's a show about the decline of the middle class. They would have been middle class a generation ago but now they are barely scraping by. That's how the middle class became the working class. It's important.

Based on the original post talking about the erosion of the middle class, you have a point. But the argument is whether or not they were middle-class enough in the first place for the show to count as a tale of class erosion. As portrayed, they were never really middle class to begin with, and probably actually moved up as the show went on because Roseanne started her own business.

Shbobdb posted:

LOL.

US Household Median Income: $51,939

If the "middle class" is making twice the median income they aren't really "middle class" are they?

"Middle-class" is a lifestyle and wealth label, not an average of national incomes. It's called middle class, because it's a sandwiched between basically poor and rich, and those 3 bands aren't separated into 3 neat, evenly divided categories of 33%. Or are you going to tell me that someone making 100k/year is upper class along side the guy making 15 billion/year?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, "lifestyle" was the wrong word to use; I meant just how long could you support yourself in between jobs. Obviously some people are going to be wasteful idiots, but I still think "how long could you ration out your assets" is a decent metric of practical wealth.

I think I would like to see this acted out on that guy who made soylent to see how long he'd go insane without his newly imported clothes anytime his current ones get dirty

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

we're probably going to have to do something about the disparity between locations in the country eventually. 50k is not an overwhelmingly low income in a lot of the country, but it's not healthy to live on that if your rent is 3k/mo and you have kids. There're 200k folks living in NY on their $9/hr minimum wage, less than 20k/yr or 40k for 2 workers. That's not really livable with a family up there.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Chilichimp posted:

Based on the original post talking about the erosion of the middle class, you have a point. But the argument is whether or not they were middle-class enough in the first place for the show to count as a tale of class erosion. As portrayed, they were never really middle class to begin with, and probably actually moved up as the show went on because Roseanne started her own business.

"Middle-class" is a lifestyle and wealth label, not an average of national incomes. It's called middle class, because it's a sandwiched between basically poor and rich, and those 3 bands aren't separated into 3 neat, evenly divided categories of 33%. Or are you going to tell me that someone making 100k/year is upper class along side the guy making 15 billion/year?

Once you start getting into the top 5% (much less top 1% and top 0.1%) it gets really distorted but since there aren't many of those, this should give a reasonable guideline.

Defining it by something nebulous like "lifestyle" is what advertisers do to drive consumption. If "keeping up with the Joneses" is what it means to be middle class then why have the concept at all?

Edit: In keeping with Roseanne, I think it is reasonable to expect a factory and construction worker dual income to be between 27K/yr and 40K/yr in 1988. Solidly in the "middle to upper middle" range.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I consider lower class or impoverished to be the type of people who would be in public housing or the Appalachians. People who would be on public assistance, and are just dirt poor.

The Connors would be people who would be "middle class" in the post-ww II, pre-reagan sense. union jobs, home owners, etc, etc. There's a good PBS special that aired discussing how families from this background have seen things get progressively worse and worse because of the poo poo policies that are mentioned in the clip I posted. I highly recommend it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/two-american-families/

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Right, if we remove rich people from the measurement altogether, then we're left with much more manageable breakdowns.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Right, if we remove rich people from the measurement altogether, then we're left with

YES...now we're talking... :commissar:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ron Jeremy posted:

YES...now we're talking... :commissar:

:drat:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, it's important to note that the REALLY rich people have a vested interest of promoting and maintaining class struggles between the lower and middle bands of incomes. It's really easy when you're on either side of the $50k line to punch up or down; however, you're both a rounding error when compared to the folks who have millions or billions.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Chilichimp posted:

Right, if we remove rich people from the measurement altogether, then we're left with much more manageable breakdowns.

Does anyone have that graph that breaks down Americans by what percentage of the nation's wealth they control and you think "ok, it's lower has about 10%, middle, 20%, upper, 70%,right? That's pretty hosed up."

But then you read the x-axis and realize that it's divided into 20th percentiles and the bottom 40% just don't show up compared to the top 60.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
God this thread has the weirdest derails. Allow me to further it along.

Roseanne was the epitome a middle to lower middle class family. It was the whole loving point of the show and a big reason for its popularity. Or are people arguing they were "poor" and not "middle class"?

Someone post some poo poo that Hannity or Rush said today.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Or are people arguing they were "poor" and not "middle class"?

This.

Also, they were poor. Middle class people can afford to send their kids to college (even the dumb ones).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

They owned a house, they couldn't have been that poor.

I didn't really watch the show, were things like bills a reoccurring problem for them or was money not really talked about outside of "One of the kids wants a new toy but we can't afford it" type plots?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WampaLord posted:

I didn't really watch the show, were things like bills a reoccurring problem for them or was money not really talked about outside of "One of the kids wants a new toy but we can't afford it" type plots?

Like yeah from the point of view from Hellscape 2016 in which normal people without tech degrees live with their parents into their 30s and have no hope of buying a house before the US economy finally heaves it's last disgusting breaths they probably seem like they've got it pretty good but at the time the show was on they were firmly lower middle class/poor. Owning a house was the default state of being for pretty much any white person for quite some time.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

WampaLord posted:

House?!?

They had a drat fridge. Doesn't look poor to me.

(Yes - bills were a more or less constant theme. Their employment situations varied over the seasons.)

Top of my head, I would probably call them middle class or lower middle class (whatever that is), but whatever.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Malcolm in the Middle was pretty good about showing a middle class family imo.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Bills and money were basically the driving plot point of the show.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

BiggerBoat posted:

God this thread has the weirdest derails. Allow me to further it along.

Roseanne was the epitome a middle to lower middle class family. It was the whole loving point of the show and a big reason for its popularity. Or are people arguing they were "poor" and not "middle class"?

Someone post some poo poo that Hannity or Rush said today.

Techies who grew up in wealthy suburbs think they grew up middle class and the actual middle class are poors. Film at 11.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Simpsons were good at showing middle class life for about three seasons.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Shbobdb posted:

Techies who grew up in wealthy suburbs think they grew up middle class and the actual middle class are poors. Film at 11.

"Middle class" in the Bay Area is like >$250K a year, so it's the perfect place for their self oppressed mindset

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Look at Roseanne's contemporaries - shows like Family Matters or Full House. Those shows were supposed to depict the middle class. You never saw them worrying about bills or expenses. Shows like Roseanne, Married With Children and The Simpsons were all meant to depict the lower class and the struggles they faced. Lots of poo poo has changed since then though.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Full House was no way middle class since property value, even back then, in San Francisco was insanely expensive.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

Ah yes, the idealization of the 1950/60's middle class who was constantly struggling to make ends meet.

If only we could get back to those salad days. :allears:

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Full House was no way middle class since property value, even back then, in San Francisco was insanely expensive.

They were probably more like lower-upper, since wasn't Bob Sagat's character a local TV personality?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

:nws: It's a lady yelling racisms in a bikini so link just to be safe :nws:

Florida mom launches vile racist rant at black neighbors — ‘You should have stayed in Africa!’

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Of course she's from Florida. You didn't even have to mention anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://m.reddit.com/r/EnoughTrumpS...ct&compact=true

Apparently milo/Nero is a crook. Who knew?!