Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
drat, that Omnic vs human war was some pretty serious poo poo. Also, there was a whole order of knights like Reinhardt, I presume specifically designed as anti-Omnic troops? I want to know more.

e: Also, you can sort of see where the anti-Omnic sentiment comes from now. It's not so much "These things are unnatural" as it is "These things are MURDER MACHINES OMG THEY'RE KILLING US ALL"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Omniums are self-improving automated robotics factories installed in locations worldwide, originally constructed by the now-defunct Omnica Corporation. Though these factories were eventually dismantled following evidence of corporate fraud, they later reactivated of their own accord and launched attacks against humanity in a conflict that would come to be known as the Omnic Crisis.[1] The robots produced by omniums are known as omnics

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bolow posted:

QP MMR and your Initial Comp placement MMR are not even remotely linked.

I don't see any way this is true. If two people go 5-5 and get placed at 40 and 60, there's no way they only use the stats provided from 10 games to make that differentiation.

What is most likely is they start you at your QP MMR and have you play 10 regular comp games with your rank hidden, and the only thing that changes with game 11 is they start showing you your rank. I assume this is why they don't let you play comp until level 25. It's not to keep inexperienced people out, it's so they have enough data to seed you initially into your placements.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SadisTech posted:

e: Also, you can sort of see where the anti-Omnic sentiment comes from now. It's not so much "These things are unnatural" as it is "These things are MURDER MACHINES OMG THEY'RE KILLING US ALL"
Isn't Zarya one of the roboracists because her city got destroyed by them or something?

e: Yeah.

quote:

But on the eve of the tournament, an attack came from the long-dormant Siberian omnium, and her village was thrust into war once again. Aleksandra immediately withdrew from the competition and rushed home to enlist in the local defense forces, sacrificing the life of fame and fortune she might have had.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 18, 2016

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think the placement matches are just 10 regular matches with MMRs hidden. I'm guessing they do stuff like:
-Treat your MMR as more uncertain and therefore subject to larger post-match adjustments
-Deliberately test you against opponents of various skill levels, rather than trying to find an even match every time

This doesn't preclude using MMR from other modes and previous seasons as a starting point (they actually NEED that info to do the second thing), but I don't think placement games use exactly the same matchmaking or adjustments as ordinary games.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 18, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Huxley posted:

I don't see any way this is true. If two people go 5-5 and get placed at 40 and 60, there's no way they only use the stats provided from 10 games to make that differentiation.

What is most likely is they start you at your QP MMR and have you play 10 regular comp games with your rank hidden, and the only thing that changes with game 11 is they start showing you your rank. I assume this is why they don't let you play comp until level 25. It's not to keep inexperienced people out, it's so they have enough data to seed you initially into your placements.
Yeah, it absolutely seeds your initial MMR from your quickplay rank. It's pretty easy to skim the thread and see mentions of people winning the same number of placement matches and winding up at wildly different ranks.

The only real mistake is assuming the MMR is reset between seasons so you have to grind it up again or something.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Isn't Zarya one of the roboracists because her city got destroyed by them or something?

Her hometown was destroyed by Omnics, she grew up in a war ravaged region still recovering from the crisis, their invasion effectively destroyed her olympic dreams, and Russia pretty much caught the worst of it during the Omnic Crisis. She's basically been fighting the drat things for the better part of a decade. So it's not surprising she loving hates them

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Yeah the roboracism is more understandable when talking about the "rampaging killbot" half of the population, less so the "normal dudes and buddhist monks" side.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Huxley posted:

Don't the points gained/ lost after a match also scale with whatever performance metrics they use for how you did? I thought people were saying supports were getting shafted on this a ways back since there were players getting different ratings despite playing together exclusively even long after placements were done. It's easier to numerically track an offensive character than a support/tank.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah the roboracism is more understandable when talking about the "rampaging killbot" half of the population, less so the "normal dudes and buddhist monks" side.

But but, they're all robutts!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

yook posted:

Don't the points gained/ lost after a match also scale with whatever performance metrics they use for how you did? I thought people were saying supports were getting shafted on this a ways back since there were players getting different ratings despite playing together exclusively even long after placements were done. It's easier to numerically track an offensive character than a support/tank.

Yeah placements are heavily skewed towards DPS heroes. You're probably not gonna place Master playing as either unless you managed to play nothing but Zarya/Roadhog/Zenyatta, maybe D.Va. The upside is, if you're actually a Master/Grand Master tier player, you will be out of Diamond relatively quickly unless you're some poor loving bastard who mains Lucio.

Grumblesnakes
Aug 25, 2015
I didn't complete my placements until around the end of the last week and the people in my games were very noticeably worse than the people in QP. It was weird, I don't think I saw one McCree and both teams had like at least 3 Defence heroes every map.

I'm guessing there just weren't enough people running placements by then but it was a strange 10 games.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Placement doesn't mean poo poo if you're actually as good as you think you are, it just means you'll get a bunch of fun matches where you clearly outmatch the enemy team before you inevitably get pushed to the rank range you belong.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I wouldn't feel too hot about placing high yesterday if you did so, I played right up until the cutoff and the entire day was full of people who had never played comp doing their qualifying matches for the spray. not indicative of the rest of the comp season

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rainuwastaken posted:

yeah but on account of how the God AIs work basically any robot could become a rampaging monster at any time and the only reason they don't is because the God AIs are presently dead / dormant / imprisoned / whatever

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why are they leaving these factories up and not tearing them all down

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Internet Kraken posted:

Why are they leaving these factories up and not tearing them all down

Australia, presumably.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

E-Money posted:

xposting from the tryhard thread

Does anyone have any tips on PS4 controller sensitivity? I've been using different setups for different heroes - Winston, Genji (though I never play him), Lucio, and D.Va all get relatively high sens for better mobility and quick turns. Everybody else is closer to the default, but i've probably bumped them up by 10 or 15 notches. Trying to balance having quick mobility for dealing with flanks/corners, especially a backline tracer, with not ruining my aim.

Did my placement matches yesterday for funsies and ended up at 64, so I'm not hopeless. But was thinking of making a real go at it for season 2.

turning sensitivity down is better than up tbh but there's no tips to give, just find what works for you and stick with it. that's how you improve

the one thing you absolutely should not do is have different sensitivities for different heroes

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Skippy McPants posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how outstanding Blizzard Entertainment is at everything except writing. Someone go force Metzen into early retirement.

I really don't see why people think the Overwatch lore is bad. I mean, sure, some heroes are cliche as all hell, but it's still a goddamn multiplayer game, and I don't think I know many other multiplayer games with lore as good as this game.

Also, The Last Bastion owns.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the lore doesn't matter for this game, it matters for any spinoff they might make of it

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Overwatch lore is mostly bad, it's just the fan characterizations have embraced the stupidity and taken it from bad to incredibad.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Naerasa posted:

Overwatch lore is mostly bad, it's just the fan characterizations have embraced the stupidity and taken it from bad to incredibad.

Eh, yeah, I have to agree on this.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i hope junkrat's short shows what he found in the omnium core

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Manatee Cannon posted:

turning sensitivity down is better than up tbh but there's no tips to give, just find what works for you and stick with it. that's how you improve

the one thing you absolutely should not do is have different sensitivities for different heroes

I've seen that about keeping it consistent, but it just seems so crazy to me based on how different the playstyles are. I feel like Winston really benefits from a high sensitivity. It lets you angle his jumps faster, and 180 as needed in order to keep a fleeing opponent in your damage cone. Since his gun is auto aim, doesn't seem like a big loss to be a little spinny/floaty. I can't imagine on a controller wanting to have the same turning time with say, Mcree, as with a Winston or Lucio or Tracer. Feel like you would either have a really unresponsive Winston/Lucio/Tracer or an incredibly floaty Mcree.

Lower sensitivity in general echoes PC mouse settings so i get that. I guess I need to work on better positioning to compensate for a slower turning radius.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

E-Money posted:

I've seen that about keeping it consistent, but it just seems so crazy to me based on how different the playstyles are. I feel like Winston really benefits from a high sensitivity. It lets you angle his jumps faster, and 180 as needed in order to keep a fleeing opponent in your damage cone. Since his gun is auto aim, doesn't seem like a big loss to be a little spinny/floaty. I can't imagine on a controller wanting to have the same turning time with say, Mcree, as with a Winston or Lucio or Tracer. Feel like you would either have a really unresponsive Winston/Lucio/Tracer or an incredibly floaty Mcree.

Lower sensitivity in general echoes PC mouse settings so i get that. I guess I need to work on better positioning to compensate for a slower turning radius.

You might want to also turn aim assist off for now (if you use it) due to the aim assist apparently having a bug where it aims in the opposite direction for vertical movement. (So if someone jumps the aim assist aims down instead of aiming up with the jump) Explains why I do so well bumper jumpering everywhere though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

keeping things consistent (whether it be controls or sensitivity) is about muscle memory. if you have everything a jumbled mess that's unique to each hero, you'll have a harder time improving because you're switching things up dramatically every time you switch heroes

you don't have to worry too much about the slow turning when you're on console because everyone else is gonna be doing that too, at least until you get close to the top of ranked and you find sandbaggers using a xim/mouse to dominate people that can't keep up. but really high sens is fine if it works for you, just keep it consistent

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i hope junkrat's short shows what he found in the omnium core

A bunch of R34 and fan girls

Why do you think he snapped

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

A bunch of R34 and fan girls

Why do you think he snapped

i don't know about snapping, i'm pretty sure he was always crazy

also lol at thinking he wouldn't eat that stuff up

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

'

If one of the Omniums go online near a population of Omnics they're hosed and turned into killbots

Zarya is right :colbert:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

JackDarko posted:

I try actively to not allow poo poo talking to get to me but drat I had to mute all chat last night. I have never had so many lovely people talking poo poo in any of my matches. People would beat us and still talk poo poo. I miss competitive.

That is the time to talk poo poo. Can't talk poo poo after you lost because you were bad

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Bolow posted:

If one of the Omniums go online near a population of Omnics they're hosed and turned into killbots

Zarya is right :colbert:

Oh hey, looks like I missed a comic. Wasn't aware of that. Though, my point was more the difference between the models with literal gatling guns for torsos and the civillian models seen elsewhere. I guess they're all super strong though, so.....yeah. Go Zarya.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

exmorte posted:

You might want to also turn aim assist off for now (if you use it) due to the aim assist apparently having a bug where it aims in the opposite direction for vertical movement. (So if someone jumps the aim assist aims down instead of aiming up with the jump) Explains why I do so well bumper jumpering everywhere though.

Oh crap, did they add that as an option to change? I will absolutely turn that off next time i'm on - i think it will help a bunch in general. Last time i checked I thought there was no way to do that on console.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Manatee Cannon posted:

keeping things consistent (whether it be controls or sensitivity) is about muscle memory. if you have everything a jumbled mess that's unique to each hero, you'll have a harder time improving because you're switching things up dramatically every time you switch heroes

you don't have to worry too much about the slow turning when you're on console because everyone else is gonna be doing that too, at least until you get close to the top of ranked and you find sandbaggers using a xim/mouse to dominate people that can't keep up. but really high sens is fine if it works for you, just keep it consistent

That makes sense. Maybe I'll try two categories and keep them consistent between heroes. One high sens setting for the characters where aiming isn't important, and a low sens setting for everyone else.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just use one dude seriously

also removing comp was a mistake, qp sucks right now

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

just use one dude seriously

also removing comp was a mistake, qp sucks right now

:agreed:

I'm not sure if I can survive until next season

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Join me, fellow comp refugees, in playing other poo poo til next season.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Edmond Dantes posted:

It was completely and utterly unfun; we weren't playing our best games to be honest, but we kept getting curbstomped the whole night. I think I went something like 3-9 in the end. :negative:

Please come back, comp. I thought I wouldn't like having the playerbase divided, but if it keeps nights like these "optional" I'm all for it.

Yeha agreed QP has been great the last couple of months, last night was messy as hell. Wondering if it's because our MMR has gone up for QP while comp was running but now all the people who left for comp who had that high QP are now back and playing against us?

We didn't get totally curbstomped though... we almost won a few matches :)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bastion is a robot with PTSD and Ganymede is his therapy bird :unsmith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I've also noticed QP being worse since comp ended. I mean I like doing stacks of the same character too (all D.Va is unstoppable since no one is smart enough to switch to like all Zarya) but it sucks having a normal game and then the next game with the same team they switch to some annoying to play comp. Just now we had a really even match on Illios where their team got the point and then we got the point. But the third point they switched to 3 Roadhogs and made it really hard for us to even get to the point. The other night me and my friends fought against a team of 3 genjis, 2 bastions and I think a Reinhardt? Or it was a healer I don't remember. But boy was that fight not fun at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Their problems are ultimately much more meta-based -- they predate effective matchmaking, they predate most well-established documentation and teaching materials, and so on. Now we have all those things but we're still making games that shy away from rewarding and showcasing mastery as much as they could even though there are all these methods of insulating people from the "lose a thousand times and you'll start to get it" effect.

this is from a couple pages back, but god yes. This is one of the big reasons everyone loves the Souls/Fromsoft games. They recognize that games culture is now a giant hivemind and they expect you to grow through those now-established channels. There is a deep level of mastery across a variety of styles available for whoever is interested, and if you're not there are mechanics in place to make your run easier, less PVP focused, and generally just better tailored to the kind of experience you want under the umbrella of "this is still gonna be a challenging action RPG."

Unfortunately almost every game that wants to ape the success of Souls does not understand this and they just make punishingly unfun and unbalanced games that are obtuse and shoddy instead of an intricate puzzlebox.