Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Just watch, Sakakura's going to become the new head of the future foundation and then essentially control the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want to see some inverse Danganronpa where the world is full of hopeful people and a plucky advocate of despair fights against the powers that be and gives moving speeches to promote their cause*. I'm imagining some scene where a room full of people are like "the glass is half full! there's always the potential to be happy!" and this one guy/girl goes "actually, everything is hopeless" while exciting music plays in the background.

*I guess you could say this applies to Junko, though in her case it's largely a matter of exploiting pre-existing despair (or potential for despair).

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I want to see Danganronpa that isn't forever based on two broad emotions constantly fighting against eachother

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I want to see some inverse Danganronpa where the world is full of hopeful people and a plucky advocate of despair fights against the powers that be and gives moving speeches to promote their cause*. I'm imagining some scene where a room full of people are like "the glass is half full! there's always the potential to be happy!" and this one guy/girl goes "actually, everything is hopeless" while exciting music plays in the background.

*I guess you could say this applies to Junko, though in her case it's largely a matter of exploiting pre-existing despair (or potential for despair).

Have you seen Sayonara Zetsubou San?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

I want to see Danganronpa that isn't forever based on two broad emotions constantly fighting against eachother

I want to see the opposite with increasingly absurd emotions and combinations. Fear vs Dissapointment. Joy vs Smugness.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Butt Ghost posted:

I want Danganronpa like that except there's one guy who's constantly talking about hope and despair and nobody, including Monokuma, has any idea what he's talking about.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

BlazeEmblem posted:

I'm just saying that it seems to count Hiro, who is not participating, and just because it shows that 10 people are alive, does not mean that there are only ten people there. I just think that it shouldn't be considered absolutely true for who is alive or dead.

Basically, I want to believe Juzo is dead because we haven't seen him and I hate him.

Actually the fact that it seems to count Hagakure is what's weird, at the beginning of the 4th episode in that recap Monokuma said that Hagakure is not part of the killing game and the number of people alive seens to just be about the people in the game since it goes every time someone in the game dies, it even showed us in this episode that a extra person died before we say Izayoi's body.

I think the fact that Hagakure is in the opening is to trick us and there's a extra person in the building.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

alcharagia posted:

I want Danganronpa like that except there's one guy who's constantly talking about hope and despair and nobody, including Monokuma, has any idea what he's talking about.

Wasn't that the deal with Komaeda in Danganronpa 2? :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

littleorv posted:

Have you seen Sayonara Zetsubou San?

Kafuka would probably either be Junko's greatest nemesis or her greatest unwitting pawn.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IceBorg posted:

Actually the fact that it seems to count Hagakure is what's weird, at the beginning of the 4th episode in that recap Monokuma said that Hagakure is not part of the killing game and the number of people alive seens to just be about the people in the game since it goes every time someone in the game dies, it even showed us in this episode that a extra person died before we say Izayoi's body.

I think the fact that Hagakure is in the opening is to trick us and there's a extra person in the building.

Well, I guess it depends on if you count Monaca's robot as a person.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

LostRook posted:

Fear vs Dissapointment.

Naegi, you have to conquer the disappointment that Junko is spreading. Make her feel fear!

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Introducing the new cast of the next Dangan Ronpa game: the Cobra Unit!

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Yinlock posted:

Also I think Zero says that the student council members were actively trying to kill each-other, so Izuru might not be personally responsible for that entire thing but he definitely had a kill-count there. I'm guessing it involved Chiaki somehow, because Despair.

I'm kinda interested in the specifics of how the first mutual killing game went, because it seems to be the only one that actually went according to plan.

This is correct, the First Mutual Killing Game was more of a Battle Royale setup where the student council had to kill each other and there could only be one survivor. Ultimately there were actually two survivors, Izuku, who won the game, and the student council president, who was rendered comatose and kept in that state by Matsuda, then later killed.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

fractalairduct posted:

This is correct, the First Mutual Killing Game was more of a Battle Royale setup where the student council had to kill each other and there could only be one survivor. Ultimately there were actually two survivors, Izuku, who won the game, and the student council president, who was rendered comatose and kept in that state by Matsuda, then later killed.

Was the book that explicit about what happened? My memory of that part is vague, but I was under the impression Junko made it look like Izuru was the mastermind behind the game (she probably influenced him to do it), and he was not a participant. Junko herself acted as if she discovered the scene after everything was done, hence traumatic memory loss.

I did pick up the book this morning and reread Yuto's final speech about talent and how it binds you.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I read a probably-crappy translation of it, so I can't say for sure either way. I suppose I could also be misremembering.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wasn't that the deal with Komaeda in Danganronpa 2? :v:

Yes exactly, I want Nagito in a non-Hopespair game.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

alcharagia posted:

I thought it was consistent in the series that people who are constantly like HOPE DESPAIR HOPE DESPAIR are super nuts. Naegi only tends to bring it up to shut down Monokuma/Junko, everyone else seems so obsessed that they drift from reality.

I wouldn't count on it going away anytime soon though, I don't really mind it either way personally.

EDIT: though that's probably hypocritical of me considering how much I rag on Zero Escape for it's "everything was magic welp bye" endings :v: (good games otherwise though)

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

No, because in the end they always defeat the baddie through the power of Hope

To the point where Hinata hopes so hard he goes super saiyan.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 18, 2016

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Butt Ghost posted:

No, because it they end they always defeat the baddie through the power of Hope

To the point where Hinata hopes so hard he goes super saiyan.

Hey man there was no hope there, that was the power of FUTURE!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Yinlock posted:

EDIT: though that's probably hypocritical of me considering how much I rag on Zero Escape for it's "everything was magic welp bye" endings :v: (good games otherwise though)

It's no use. You were born a hoper.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

alcharagia posted:

It's no use. You were born a hoper.

my hope has brought me despair

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Kamukura Izuru seems more existentially bored with existence than I had imagined. Like I kind of pictured him being slightly pissed off all the time but he comes across as more robotic. And it works because it gives him an alien feel that makes you think he would be willing to do all the heinous poo poo he does out of intellectual curiosity as an inhuman monster, as opposed to it being rooted in some sort of grudge or nihilism

If anything, he takes Junko's despair-inducing boredom and cranks it to superhuman levels. Pretty well thought out characterization.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
I have no idea what they're doing with Ryota now, but after that last scene he's got to be involved in something big.

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012
That last scene, I really hope the 'future arc is Ryota's Despair Anime' theory doesn't turn out to be true.

Also, God drat Junko does not mess about. So much for her "We had a peaceful year of schooling" line.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I have a feeling Ryota's Hope anime is gonna be warped into a Despair anime. By the time Future Arc happens, maybe he's repented or it was done without his permission. Or he's the attacker. Either way, nothing good can come from him meeting Junko. I wasn't expecting him to become such an important character when the show started.

I know Despair Arc is about how everything happened, but I kinda wish that it spent a little more time with the cast of DR2. I'm sure we'll see more of them as it goes on considering they turn Despair themselves but, I like seeing them interact as normal students and it's a shame that outside of the first two episodes there really hasn't been much of that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like the new intro.

Also while it's easy to get hung up on Ryota and Izuru I think it's interesting that Junko during her torture decided to mimic Chisa's appearance perfectly which leads me to believe the Chisa in the theater in 1 is AI Junko #2

Edit: Also Ryoto is the Remnant of Despair, just realized the new Intro gave him the same color scheme as the students, red eyes as well.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 18, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The incredibly upbeat ending theme kicking in during Junko's fateful encounter was great.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

also great is that you can tell the opening went from hope to despair because the gymnast's pure white pantyshot turned into a pitch black void of censorship

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Junko is really crazy. I know that's kind of a "Hey, water is wet." kind of fact, but eating food off of a plate with someone's eyeball on it? Jeez.

Slokir posted:

That last scene, I really hope the 'future arc is Ryota's Despair Anime' theory doesn't turn out to be true.

:unsmigghh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This episode is pretty whatever. Kamukura's about as dull of a character as I expected him to be and this Mitarai thing is gonna probably be resolved in literally the next episode at the rate everything's going.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Both episodes were kinda mediocre this week. I know they're setting up for the endgame, but not a whole lot actually happened. The most interesting bit was finding out about Sakakura's crush.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Another thing foreshadowing Mitarai being Team Despair that I didn't notice at first.

In the opening of episode 1 on both sides it shows the DR2 cast all doing terrible poo poo (or at least it implies it). SHSL Imposter is back to using Togami's persona during that clip meaning he doesn't feel the need to be Mitarai anymore despite saying he's done being Togami.

As for the intros themselves: Episode 1-5 has "Hello, Hopes Peak Academy?" and it changes to "Hello, Hopes Peak Academy" in this episode.

Also "If you see it you will break." Maybe it's talking about the Future side as it is a anime :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 18, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

As for the intros themselves: Episode 1-5 has "Hello, Hopes Peak Academy?" and it changes to "Hello, Hopes Peak Academy" in this episode.

Also "If you see it you will break." Maybe it's talking about the Future side as it is a anime :v:

Another small difference in the intro I noticed was that at the end, Chiaki was smiling. No clue what it means but I did see it. The biggest one I noticed other than the color shift was that everyone's eyes were red, except for Chiaki, and Chisa, whose eyes are closed during the sequence. Actually, I couldn't tell the color on the Imposter or Mitarai because they're placed far into the background of the shot but I assume they might be red too?

On Future side, I'm pretty sure the intro has been getting messier and more distorted with each new episode. The murder previews at the start were clear and now they're more artistic, like the Despair side intro.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Watching this is making me realize that I don't think I like Junko as a villain. Despair is such a vague catch-all motive, and her curazy being so unpredictable feels kind of lazy to me. She just does whatever the plot needs her to do. She just feels the fate on random people because they'll be important later.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ApplesandOranges posted:

Both episodes were kinda mediocre this week. I know they're setting up for the endgame, but not a whole lot actually happened. The most interesting bit was finding out about Sakakura's crush.

I thought we'd already been told that Sakakura was into Munakata :shrug:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Junko didn't suffer from the usual deification of her that is so prevalent in the franchise and Izuru went with her out of boredom rather than adoration like most of her sycophants. Not an amazing episode, but not a terrible one either. Which is okay for what is evidently setup for the big payoff later.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Junko sucks. Mukuro is cool.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i'm also a fan of cliched love stories so i'm looking forward to real nanami and izuru reuniting in the final ep

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Rarity posted:

I thought we'd already been told that Sakakura was into Munakata :shrug:

Yukizome's fantasies do not define reality. If they did, then Komaeda would just be eccentric and not a crazy person, and Peko would probably not be a cold blooded killer even before the influence of Junko's Krazy Kult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Junko sucks. Mukuro is cool.

Eh, I kind of feel the opposite. Thus far, Mukuro's whole shtick has been "My little sister is abusing me. :fap:" in-between moments of violence.

Junko has at least been entertaining to watch.

• Locked thread