Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Koramei posted:

^e: is she on a different list? I don't see her there

There is Rome, Trajan was a Roman emperor.

I meant this chart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Huh I would've figured Marcus Aurelius or Domitian for Rome. Or get really weird and go republic and have it be Scipio Africanus

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Chalks posted:

I don't think that's the case - look at the scrollbar to the left of the leaders list in that screenshot. That's almost the entire list in alphabetical order.

I'm talking about this list

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/images/civ6_portrait_bingo2.jpg

the mystery statue in between Frederick (Germany) and Pericles (Greece) is a statue of Gorgo (Greece).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Trajan brought the empire's borders to their greatest extent, not really a weird leader to pick.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I meant this chart

Oh I hadn't seen that. Where was it leaked from?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Koramei posted:

Trajan brought the empire's borders to their greatest extent, not really a weird leader to pick.

An official video put out by Firaxis, about development and stuff, some people went all CSI on a chart way in the background.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I meant this chart

Afonso isn't listed in the screenshot so that probably isn't accurate.

Omnicarus posted:

Huh I would've figured Marcus Aurelius or Domitian for Rome. Or get really weird and go republic and have it be Scipio Africanus

Scipio :black101: Or maybe Septimus Severus.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The only thing I find weird is them including Gorgo at launch as opposed to DLC, which Isabella seems to be in.

Also Mvemba a Nzinga is Alfonso's original name.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

monster on a stick posted:

Afonso also known as Mvemba a Nzinga (his native African name).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afonso_I_of_Kongo

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Koramei posted:

It was on a board in the background of one of the early developer vids. Civfanatics people have been picking at it for like a month.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Scipio :black101: Or maybe Septimus Severus.

Mvemba a Nzinga is Alfonso

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sarmhan posted:

The only thing I find weird is them including Gorgo at launch as opposed to DLC, which Isabella seems to be in.

Also Mvemba a Nzinga is Alfonso's original name.

was this stream showing off the final build? it's possible whatever build they were using didn't have isabella playable yet or was including gorgo for test purposes or whatnot

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I'm talking about this list

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/images/civ6_portrait_bingo2.jpg

the mystery statue in between Frederick (Germany) and Pericles (Greece) is a statue of Gorgo (Greece).

Maybe I'm missing something, but the screenshot from the stream shows 16 leader names of the 18 civs in game and clearly doesn't have room for more than a couple more based on the scroll bar, not to mention the fact that the list is alphabetical.

Unless you're saying that Greece is the only civ getting 2 leaders, or there's a second civopedia section with 18 other leaders..? That portrait thing even says there are 22 portraits and only 18 civs in the game so it seems kinda weird to use it as a basis of a "multiple leaders" theory.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

was this stream showing off the final build? it's possible whatever build they were using didn't have isabella playable yet or was including gorgo for test purposes or whatnot
Yea it's totally possible that something is up there. As I said it's weird that there are 18 civs but 19 leaders in, when they said there would be 18 civs in a at launch (probably not including Monty).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

sarmhan posted:

Yea it's totally possible that something is up there. As I said it's weird that there are 18 civs but 19 leaders in, when they said there would be 18 civs in a at launch (probably not including Monty).

Technically Monty is a launch civ (if you preordered)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Or maybe Septimus Severus.

lmao if they included a black emperor as the leader of the Romans the internet would flip their poo poo even more than they're doing over the female leaders.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Chalks posted:

That portrait thing even says there are 22 portraits and only 18 civs in the game so it seems kinda weird to use it as a basis of a "multiple leaders" theory.

The basis of the multiple leader theory is the picky wording they use to distinguish leader ability and civ ability.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
If you take the others we know and add this stream list in alphabetical order, it comes up

1 Catherina de Medici - France
2 Cleopatra - Egypt
3 Frederick Barbarossa - Germany
4 Gandhi - India
5 Gilgamesh - Sumer / Uruk
6 Gorgo - Greece / Sparta
7 Harald Hardrada - Norway
8 Hojo Tokimune - Japan
9 Montezuma - Aztec
10 Mvemba a Nzinga - (Alfonso I) Kongo
11 Pedro II - Brazil
12 Pericles - Greece / Athens
13 Peter - Russia
14 Philip II - Spain
15 Qin Shi Huang - China
16 Saladin - Arabia
17 Teddy Roosevelt - America
18 Tomyris - Scythia
19 Trajan - Rome
20 Victoria - England

That's 19 Civs if you assume Gorgo as an alt-leader for Greece, 18 + 1 DLC. Jadwiga isn't in the Civilopedia, so Poland is probably planned as the first paid DLC (with Isabella as an alt-leader DLC?)

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

That usually isn't included in a count of what's in at launch though.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kurtofan posted:

That reminds me: what's the best site /deal to preorder?

And, since my 2011 MacBook Air isn't going to be able to run this (it barely runs 5), I was just planning on getting a new MacBook Pro and dual-booting into Windows for other games I might want to play. Is there any reason I shouldn't - like, say, a better Windows-only laptop that's about the same size and weight as a MacBook Pro?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

sarmhan posted:

That usually isn't included in a count of what's in at launch though.

For bullshit marketing reasons? Usually is.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Hogama posted:

If you take the others we know and add this stream list in alphabetical order, it comes up

1 Catherina de Medici - France
2 Cleopatra - Egypt
3 Frederick Barbarossa - Germany
4 Gandhi - India
5 Gilgamesh - Sumer / Uruk
6 Gorgo - Greece / Sparta
7 Harald Hardrada - Norway
8 Hojo Tokimune - Japan
9 Montezuma - Aztec
10 Mvemba a Nzinga - (Alfonso I) Kongo
11 Pedro II - Brazil
12 Pericles - Greece / Athens
13 Peter - Russia
14 Philip II - Spain
15 Qin Shi Huang - China
16 Saladin - Arabia
17 Teddy Roosevelt - America
18 Tomyris - Scythia
19 Trajan - Rome
20 Victoria - England

That's 19 Civs if you assume Gorgo as an alt-leader for Greece, 18 + 1 DLC. Jadwiga isn't in the Civilopedia, so Poland is probably planned as the first paid DLC (with Isabella as an alt-leader DLC?)
Ok this makes more sense.
I'm guessing that Gorgo is either post-launch or some kind of bonus thing though. It'd be odd to have her just randomly show up, although not unwelcome.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's a little weird but maybe they're testing how well received multiple leaders are?

Like they're just giving greece the two at the start to see how that flies

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Seems more likely that they've just put one in the game initially to make sure the tech to handle multiple leaders works and aren't prioritising the others just yet.

I'd be astonished to see the game released with only one civ having an alt leader. I'm still betting that this isn't a thing since it seems too close to launch to have a whole set of leaders unimplemented since they're going to need playtesting just like everything else.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Maybe Cromwell will be an alt-English leader, with the New Model Army special unit.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Chalks posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but the screenshot from the stream shows 16 leader names of the 18 civs in game and clearly doesn't have room for more than a couple more based on the scroll bar, not to mention the fact that the list is alphabetical.

Unless you're saying that Greece is the only civ getting 2 leaders, or there's a second civopedia section with 18 other leaders..? That portrait thing even says there are 22 portraits and only 18 civs in the game so it seems kinda weird to use it as a basis of a "multiple leaders" theory.

That list is missing Teddy, Tomyris and Victoria, all of whom are already confirmed. In addition, I'd venture that this won't be the first civ game to lack Rome at launch, so let's assume Trajan is in. That would make 20 leaders, 2 of which are Greek and 1 of which is Day 1 DLC. Boom, 18 civs at launch.

E:

Kurtofan posted:

For bullshit marketing reasons? Usually is.

Civ V launched with 19 civs if you count Babylon, but was marketed as having 18. I think it's fair to assume they're doing the same thing here.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

That list is missing Teddy, Tomyris and Victoria, all of whom are already confirmed. In addition, I'd venture that this won't be the first civ game to lack Rome at launch, so let's assume Trajan is in. That would make 20 leaders, 2 of which are Greek and 1 of which is Day 1 DLC. Boom, 18 civs at launch.

E:

Civ V launched with 19 civs if you count Babylon, but was marketed as having 18. I think it's fair to assume they're doing the same thing here.

Doesn't it seem really odd to have multiple leaders but only have it for one of the civs at launch? I'd find it much easier to believe Sparta being an additional DLC than adding multiple leaders but only doing it for one civ.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

And, since my 2011 MacBook Air isn't going to be able to run this (it barely runs 5), I was just planning on getting a new MacBook Pro and dual-booting into Windows for other games I might want to play. Is there any reason I shouldn't - like, say, a better Windows-only laptop that's about the same size and weight as a MacBook Pro?

Spend $650 on a laptop/iPad of any variety, spend $650 on making a PC with a decent graphics card. Then enjoy having a laptop and getting to play Civ and other games running at much higher settings than the MacBook Pro's current crappy graphics card without giving Apple $1.3k.

Source: am slightly bitter Macbook Pro owner.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Maybe they are breaking up the major Greek city states into separate civs, which I can't really find a good reason for. Also, this is the first game without Alexander. If he doesn't show up as a great general, then Macedonia will definitely show up as a civ at some point.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Rexides posted:

Maybe they are breaking up the major Greek city states into separate civs, which I can't really find a good reason for. Also, this is the first game without Alexander. If he doesn't show up as a great general, then Macedonia will definitely show up as a civ at some point.

Sparta being a separate civilization wouldn't surprise me, their culture was radically different from the other city-states of their time.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Spend $650 on a laptop/iPad of any variety, spend $650 on making a PC with a decent graphics card. Then enjoy having a laptop and getting to play Civ and other games running at much higher settings than the MacBook Pro's current crappy graphics card without giving Apple $1.3k.

Source: am slightly bitter Macbook Pro owner.

I would except my Civ playing time is usually limited to my 45 minute bus ride each afternoon, so I need a laptop that can run it that doesn't weigh 6 pounds and take up as much space as a Gutenberg Bible.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Chalks posted:

Doesn't it seem really odd to have multiple leaders but only have it for one of the civs at launch? I'd find it much easier to believe Sparta being an additional DLC than adding multiple leaders but only doing it for one civ.

Maybe it's just a proof of concept, or maybe they're going to add more leaders and she's the only one in the current build of the game? I doubt they're adding Sparta as future DLC, given that she's already in the demo's Civpedia.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ManifunkDestiny posted:

lmao Gorgo was a queen of Sparta. Get ready for a bunch of gamergaters mad that the civ most tied to the id of masculinity has a woman as a leader.

Pretty sure you are the only one who cares and I guess some random post on some civilization forum.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Koramei posted:

If it's Gorgo for Greece then who the hell is Pericles for

Shakespeare Tyre faction confirmed

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Sparta being a separate civilization wouldn't surprise me, their culture was radically different from the other city-states of their time.

There was that scenario in Civ4 warlords that pitted Greece vs Sparta, was kind of cool.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

Maybe it's just a proof of concept, or maybe they're going to add more leaders and she's the only one in the current build of the game? I doubt they're adding Sparta as future DLC, given that she's already in the demo's Civpedia.

Yeah, that's certainly possible - but it feels a bit too close to launch for that sort of thing. They're clearly in the polish and balance phase at this point, they must have a lot of playtesting going on and I'm not sure they'd want to introduce new leaders too late. They might not be considered all that impactful though so it might be the case.

As far as a DLC civ being in the civpedia already - maybe I'm a massive cynic but it seems likely that they might have their first post release DLC already in the works and playtested at release (even if they still have some things like art to finish off before they announce it)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Assuming Poland is brought in and Sparta and Greece aren't separated then with the 20 known civs we've got their geographic breakdown as follows:

Europe - 9
Asia - 6
Africa - 2
America - 3

Make of that what you will but I am personally surprised that the aztecs are the only native civ from the new world

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Could be that Gorgo is a placeholder for the unannounced Serbian civ

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

I would except my Civ playing time is usually limited to my 45 minute bus ride each afternoon, so I need a laptop that can run it that doesn't weigh 6 pounds and take up as much space as a Gutenberg Bible.

In that case so long as you have the cash dual booting the Macbook Pro is probably a pretty good bet. The new line will be coming out some time later this year though (current speculation is in October), so definitely wait for that, a graphics card boost will definitely be a big part of it. (And you might get to snap up a used MacBook Pro for a lot cheaper if cash is an issue.)

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Really disappointed with that lineup. Obnoxiously eurocentric yet again. Only one Sub-Saharan civ, only one pre-Colonial Americas, nobody at all from SE Asia and Oceania, no Ottomans, no Persia, no Mongols...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I meant this chart

And for those that keep score, matches for the hitherto unknown spots have been located.