Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

Peter Thiel is going to turn into that fat thing from Blade that Wesley Snipes cooks with a UV light

he's going to eat gawker.com like Khaleesi and give birth to three gay dragons that live forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

alright, if you're comfortable judging the behavior of gay people in reference to what you would expect from them according to their sexuality then, uh, you do you i guess

Not sure why you're trying to claim the high ground here, you're comfortable judging when we can suspend freedom of the press when they print something you morally object to so...

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

it's possible that peter theil is not a single issue voter, just because he is Gay. he might actually have other issues, that weigh upon him more, than his sexuality, perhaps

You might say he's socially liberal, but fiscally retarded.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

it's possible that peter theil is not a single issue voter, just because he is Gay. he might actually have other issues, that weigh upon him more, than his sexuality, perhaps

yes like for example, pushing for legalization of his patent-pending flesh-rending nightmare engine that turns the bodies of proles into electricity for his seastead

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Randy Shilts had a lot of good reporting on this. In the 80's Wall Street was full of closeted gay men who voted Republican because they prioritized being rich over being open about their sexuality. As long as they could hit a club on the weekend and keep everything hush hush they genuinely prioritized economics over human rights for themselves.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raerlynn posted:

Not sure why you're trying to claim the high ground here, you're comfortable judging when we can suspend freedom of the press when they print something you morally object to so...

yes, i am comfortable saying that you should not have a constitutional right to post sex videos of people you don't like

this is not a super own btw

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Randy Shilts had a lot of good reporting on this. In the 80's Wall Street was full of closeted gay men who voted Republican because they prioritized being rich over being open about their sexuality. As long as they could hit a club on the weekend and keep everything hush hush they genuinely prioritized economics over human rights for themselves.

and this doesn't make anyone crazy! an rear end in a top hat sure, i guess, but this is not evidence of mental illness. lack of political ideology is not a sign of mental deficiency, as it turns out

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Obviously they'd have to be worth ruining the lives of hundreds of thousands of gays, including your own life.

Somehow, I doubt any other voting issue is suddenly gonna override the need to not be viewed as a public nuisance worthy only of imprisonment and death.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Theil is like every other Silicon Valley tech bro millionaire: You'd think they'd be liberal given the proximity to San Fran, but in reality, they're the type of people who whine if they have to walk FIVE loving MINUTES for a bus and threaten to drive if they have to.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Dexo posted:

"gently caress the other gays and their broke boi problems, I got mine. Bootstraps bitch. Also woo tax breaks, and less regulations. #MAKEAMERICAGREATAGAIN"

I know multiple dudes just like this.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Raerlynn posted:

To be fair, and I say this as a person vehemently opposed to Thiel and pretty pro-Gawker, Gawker broke the law when they did the Hogan thing. Like, was Peter Thiel's campaign against Gawker a dangerous precedent for the first amendment? Absolutely. But this was not a moral quandry. Gawker did legitimately break the law and got tagged for it. They got tagged way harder than was justified because of a billionaire bankroller, but still, they had no justification for posting that sex tape.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hollywoo Stars And Celebrities: What Are Their Genitals Like? Can They gently caress Good? Let's Find Out!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Hollywoo Stars And Celebrities: What Are Their Genitals Like? Can They gently caress Good? Let's Find Out!

...proceed

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Somehow, I doubt any other voting issue is suddenly gonna override the need to not be viewed as a public nuisance worthy only of imprisonment and death.

This is objectively not true though. Read up about gays in Wall Street in the 80s.

Hell it took AIDS to get them to come around on the importance of gay rights and even then it took a look of feet dragging.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Milo claims that being gay was better when you were forced to be in the closet because it was more dangerous and didn't interfere with public culture. There's definitely a weird string of libertarian / conservative gay thought that thinks that being gay is "too mainstream" now and this group is also usually wealthy or privileged, so they tend to end up like Thiel and do the gay version of "I'm colorblind!" and just say, "Don't be gay in people's faces and people won't treat you differently! It's only an issue because people are making it one!"

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

Raerlynn posted:

Bless your heart.

Legality and morality aren't the same thing. But hey since it's someone you don't like, I guess it's cool to suspend their constitutional rights because a rich person held a decade long grudge.

uh what are you talking about? let me ask u a question - should i be able to post a sextape that belongs to you on the internet?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Milo claims that being gay was better when you were forced to be in the closet because it was more dangerous and didn't interfere with public culture. There's definitely a weird string of libertarian / conservative gay thought that thinks that being gay is "too mainstream" now and this group is also usually wealthy or privileged, so they tend to end up like Thiel and do the gay version of "I'm colorblind!" and just say, "Don't be gay in people's faces and people won't treat you differently! It's only an issue because people are making it one!"

Yeah, wealth is the ultimate privilege. All other rights are basically secondary to preserving wealth if you are among the elites. It doesn't matter if the average gay man gets dragged to death by a truck, you are rich enough that you are protected from the actual consequences of social prejudice.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, wealth is the ultimate privilege. All other rights are basically secondary to preserving wealth if you are among the elites. It doesn't matter if the average gay man gets dragged to death by a truck, you are rich enough that you are protected from the actual consequences of social prejudice.

Case in point: Jenner.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CommieGIR posted:

Obviously they'd have to be worth ruining the lives of hundreds of thousands of gays, including your own life.

This is why Republicans will never get decent numbers in regards to us Black people.

Spend any time in a Black Barbershop, or around a large amount of various black people and there are so many who are conservative as all loving hell. Like I've heard just as bad poo poo about Muslims from urban Black people as I have your typical rural white person. Ditto with LGBT rights(Maaaaan The Black Church can be real bad about this, my cousin was outright incensed when her baby boy was put into a pink walker that my other cousin had left over from her girl. Saying poo poo like she doesn't want her kid to grow up to be gay)

Like if the GOP could literally just pick one loving minority group to not piss off they would be good money.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

There is also a dangerous habit of trying to compound victimhood with ethical stature.

Remember, a person can be a victim and still be a loving terrible human being. Just because a person is a member of heavily persecuted group doesn't mean they are any more likely to be a decent ethical person than anyone else. Plenty of lovely people probably died in Auschwitz. Its important to remember that being a terrible person doesn't mean that you deserve to be a victim, and that being a victim doesn't mean you aren't also a terrible person.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

iospace posted:

I know someone who's ADHD. Their insurance through their parents changed. Whoops, suddenly ADHD meds are no longer "preventative", SORRY HERE'S A 1K USD BILL.

That's not to mention the whole loving over they do with transgender people, but I digress.

https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/766343831763640320

I'm going to conclude here that a Clinton press conference has the same likelihood as Trump's tax returns: zero. We all know what every single question is going to about : emails or Benghazi.

she talks to the prss all the time, though for the record.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It is always right to shove hypocrites' faces into the subject of their hypocrisy. There are no protected classes in this, IMO.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Deified Data posted:

It is always right to shove hypocrites' faces into the subject of their hypocrisy. There are no protected classes in this, IMO.

Is Peter Thiel really a hypocrite though? He is a gay billionaire who is prioritizing billionaire over gay.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I know a trans woman who is voting for Trump and McCrory in NC. She's not rich or even well off. I just can't understand the mental hurdles she is jumping to get to that decisions. All I can conclude is she is one hell of a masochist.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To be fair, and I say this as a person vehemently opposed to Thiel and pretty pro-Gawker, Gawker broke the law when they did the Hogan thing. Like, was Peter Thiel's campaign against Gawker a dangerous precedent for the first amendment? Absolutely. But this was not a moral quandry. Gawker did legitimately break the law and got tagged for it. They got tagged way harder than was justified because of a billionaire bankroller, but still, they had no justification for posting that sex tape.

In point of fact Gawker won on appeal that Hogan's constant public bragging about his sex life made it an issue of public interest, but by this point the damage had been done. I'm not arguing the morality of the video itself, yeah posting sex videos without consent is not cool.

I however hold that the harm Thiel has done to the freedom of the press greatly, greatly outstrips the harm of a sex tape leak. As others above noted, if you think this is the only time this is going to happen you're being dangerously optimistic.

yes, i am comfortable saying that you should not have a constitutional right to post sex videos of people you don't like

this is not a super own btw

:rolleyes:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I for one am shocked that White Gay Men are idiots at times.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is Peter Thiel really a hypocrite though? He is a gay billionaire who is prioritizing billionaire over gay.

Maybe not but it's funny that he's trying to create a world in which that Valleywag article would have done greater damage to his life than he suffered in reality.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Policies that will drive the world economy off a cliff for a little more short-sighted FYGM have crossed from 'rear end in a top hat' to 'god drat crazy' in my opinion. Like the writing is on the wall but those loving morons are so out of touch with reality they are sure there is more blood to be drained from that stone.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

she talks to the prss all the time, though for the record.

"But it's not a full press conference! :qq:"

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Check out Hulkstr, the hottest new internet media company

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Raerlynn posted:

I however hold that the harm Thiel has done to the freedom of the press greatly, greatly outstrips the harm of a sex tape leak. As others above noted, if you think this is the only time this is going to happen you're being dangerously optimistic.

I agree and am not arguing with this. But I do not think its fair to say the sex tape thing was just unethical when it was also illegal.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I agree and am not arguing with this. But I do not think its fair to say the sex tape thing was just unethical when it was also illegal.

It's not illegal.

Unethical, certainly; but not illegal.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No, he's a hypocrite because he's a free market evangelist who used his money to take down a company regardless of that company's merits in "the eyes of the market".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

AlexJade posted:

I know a trans woman who is voting for Trump and McCrory in NC. She's not rich or even well off. I just can't understand the mental hurdles she is jumping to get to that decisions. All I can conclude is she is one hell of a masochist.

Loves guns? Thinks they will be rich soon? Self-loathing? Racist? Close personal friends with Pat McCrory?

Trump I can kind of see, but McCrory is weird.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I for one am shocked that White Gay Men are idiots at times.

Yeah I don't know if it's accurate that wealth is the ultimate privilege, moreso that not being straight is very easy to hide and pierces other barriers so much that it's not as major of a handicap.

If people were randomly (rich, poor, white, etc) being born black you'd probably see a lot less police brutality too.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I agree and am not disagreeing with this. But I do not think its fair to say the sex tape thing was just unethical when it was also illegal.

Except it's not. Hulk Hogan is a public figure, and as noted before, a public figure is given much, much less leeway on what's considered "private". Basically if you can argue that it's in the public interest to know that detail, then it's fair game. I'll be right there with you that is not in good taste, but it is not illegal.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This is straight up untrue.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's not illegal.

Unethical, certainly; but not illegal.

it goddamn should be

the standard of "bragged about sex life, therefore his sex life is in our interests" is completely insane

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

computer parts posted:

If people were randomly (rich, poor, white, etc) being born black you'd probably see a lot less police brutality too.

Read up on Prince George county

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

Yeah I don't know if it's accurate that wealth is the ultimate privilege, moreso that not being straight is very easy to hide and pierces other barriers so much that it's not as major of a handicap.

It's intersectional.

Being a rich white gay man gives you a ton of privilege cache. Being gay doesn't wash away, entirely, the things that come along with the other parts of them.

It's why mainstream gay culture can be real, real loving awful at times: it's largely dominated by affluent, white men. Also why it can involve some really, really shady poo poo w/r/t sexual assault that we in the LGBT community try real hard not to think about too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There wasn't much support for gay rights in the 80s anyways. It was legal to openly discriminated against gays in every state. Yeah the DNC added it to their platform in 1980, but there wasn't enough support to make progress. Effectively there was no difference between these parties so it made a lot more sense to vote based on other issues. Especially if those other issues are increasing your wealth (and privilege)

• Locked thread