Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

timp posted:

Didn't the Spanish team have a man in his 50's do considerably well? You telling me there's not one woman who could hit harder than that geezer?

I'm sure he's more skilled, being older, but to say that it's an unfair matchup from a strength standpoint, eh, I'm a bit incredulous on that one. He didn't even look like he was in excellent shape or anything.

e: here he is, he's 54

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He_Zhiwen

have you never seen the cenegenics guy? there's some pretty jacked 50 year olds out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'd say no considering any time they've put top level women up against even high school boys they've been embarrassed. But if you're looking for any possible edge case scenario where a female pro could beat a male one, I'm sure you'll find something eventually.

macserv
Dec 1, 2006

Finder scores on the rebound.

Johnny Aztec posted:

and serena williams challenging that one male tennis player and after losing being all " holy poo poo I didn't think it'd be that

He challenged them, actually, after she and her sister both claimed they could beat any male outside the top 200. The #203 ranked player accepted the challenge. He went out, played a round of golf, drank two beers, and then took on the pair, beating them 6-1 and 6-2. He then stated that they shouldn't expect to beat even any male in the top 500, because men can chase down the ball more easily, and frequently apply spin to their shots that women have difficulty handling.

Two years later, Serena won the US Open, and decided to make similar claims, stating that she could compete with, and beat, any top male player. None challenged her claim.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

I'd say no considering any time they've put top level women up against even high school boys they've been embarrassed. But if you're looking for any possible edge case scenario where a female pro could beat a male one, I'm sure you'll find something eventually.

Well yeah, there are 'sports' like shooting where the best men and best women are so closely ranked that biological differences simply don't seem to really matter too much and mixed competing might actually encourage some women to go all citius altius fortius to and actually kick some rear end. No-one's saying (at least I hope so) that actual athletes (see what I did there?) competing on Olympic level in extremely physically demanding sports should be doing mixed gender competitions cuz yeah, you can wish really hard and click your heels together all you want but the best woman tennis player will still get her rear end kicked by the top male competitors every time because there simply is too much of a difference in biology unless you add some 1980s GDR physicians into the mix.

But yeah, enough D&D, this thread is about a poo poo show, not a poo poo show.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The funny thing is if those swimmers would have just kept their mouths shut everything would be fine. If the gas station would have filed a report I doubt it wouldn't have even been investigated. Even if they did, you know the IOC and USOC would have ignored it because I'm sure they're happy to not look too deeply into anything that happens in Brazil whatsoever. It's not like the Brazilian authorities would have extradited them over something like this that can easily be handwaved as "boys being boys". But they just HAD to bring media attention upon themselves instead and embarrass the country. Couldn't even get their stories straight. That's some pretty JV level lying they were doing. I guess I should never be surprised over how dumb some athletes are.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Not mine, but most worthy of your attention

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

CubanMissile posted:

The funny thing is if those swimmers would have just kept their mouths shut everything would be fine. If the gas station would have filed a report I doubt it wouldn't have even been investigated. Even if they did, you know the IOC and USOC would have ignored it because I'm sure they're happy to not look too deeply into anything that happens in Brazil whatsoever. It's not like the Brazilian authorities would have extradited them over something like this that can easily be handwaved as "boys being boys". But they just HAD to bring media attention upon themselves instead and embarrass the country. Couldn't even get their stories straight. That's some pretty JV level lying they were doing. I guess I should never be surprised over how dumb some athletes are.

If it wasn't for Lochte's mom going on a media blitz you mean. Lochte probably assumed she'd buy the excuse and that would be the end of it, but he was too dumb to realize that a grown woman who checks in on her 32 year old son daily while he's out on vacation probably is the momma bear type. None of the other swimmers did anything.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Rio is a crime ridden hellhole though.

I mean okay sure this guy maybe lied but a month ago police kidnapped an athlete and made him withdraw money from ATMs then came back (twice) to intimidate him into silence.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, and what about Lochtes claims of multiplayer in a procedurally generated universe?!

Just despicable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WhyteRyce posted:

If it wasn't for Lochte's mom going on a media blitz you mean. Lochte probably assumed she'd buy the excuse and that would be the end of it, but he was too dumb to realize that a grown woman who checks in on her 32 year old son daily while he's out on vacation probably is the momma bear type. None of the other swimmers did anything.

The question is, why did he have to tell her anything? As far as I know the guy wasn't in any long term trouble. What did he have to explain to her that she had found out about? She's not in Rio. She wouldn't know if he came back late at night trashed and reeking of urine.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
They should pull his medals!

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

The question is, why did he have to tell her anything?

You see, Ryan Lochte is dumb. Very, very dumb. A pile of bricks dumb.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man, and what about Lochtes claims of multiplayer in a procedurally generated universe?!

Just despicable.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Any coined this as Pissgate yet?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

happyhippy posted:

Any coined this as Pissgate yet?

the correct term is tinklegate

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

pissghazi

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
When ya gotta go and all. Pee dance is no fun so I can relate.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
waterclosetgate

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

a grown woman who checks in on her 32 year old son daily while he's out on vacation

i feel like maybe he is so stupid that she has had to do this his whole life

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That gas station video is missing 2 minutes.

I still don't get why Brazil need to pull athletes off plane when
1) they have the whole thing on tape
2) Be honest and release the whole unedited video
3) Make a big deal out of this now everybody is looking at their actual robbery cases.

They basically beat themselves up to prove Ryan Lochte a liar, and gas station securities will pull guns on you for piss on the wall (or whatever disagreement not in the video). Way to show case your city as a tourist attraction.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Mom: "Ryan, did you know there's $3000 gone out of your account?!"
Lochte: "oh, what?" *mumbles something about those drugs and tranny hookers being loving expensive*
M: "what was that?"
L: "I said oh drat, really? It's because, uh, because...we got robbed! Yeah, robbed...by some cops!"
M: "oh no!
L: "yeah, robbed by crooked cops! And the cabbie was in on it! They held a gun to my head and I was all like, 'whatever, suck my dick, you fuckman' he totally backed off and only took my wallet."
M: "oh thanks goodness you're alright!"
L: "I'm going to need to get home ASAP because...I'm upset. Yeah, upset"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

L: "yeah, robbed by crooked cops! And the cabbie was in on it! They held a gun to my head and I was all like, 'whatever, suck my dick, you fuckman' he totally backed off and only took my wallet."

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

whatever7 posted:

They basically beat themselves up to prove Ryan Lochte a liar, and gas station securities will pull guns on you for piss on the wall (or whatever disagreement not in the video). Way to show case your city as a tourist attraction.

So, they should just have ignored the whole thing?

A crime involving a famous foreign guy was reported, so they had to investigate. They soon realized that the crime reported was probably not real, so they had to investigate that crime (falsely reporting a crime is a crime), and found the truth about it. Seems like in this case at least the police did its job properly

Things are bad enough down here without the police having to deal with spoiled stars making up crimes to get away with bad behavior

edit: he was also dumb enough to try to frame the police for it, which gave then an even greater incentive to prove he was lying

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 18, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Olchte should have been given asylum on the giant sovereign us basketball boat

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This quote is absolutely hilarious now that we know he made it up:

quote:

“They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground.

“And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.'

Yeah, make your buddies lie for you and then call them pussies and pretend you are the toughest guy in the world.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know
Well it took him awhile, but Lochte finally has all the attention to himself. Now Phelps will go drunkenly wreck up a Brazilian gas station and piss on the floor in a faster time with a better security camera angle to put him back in his place.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

tetsul posted:

Well it took him awhile, but Lochte finally has all the attention to himself. Now Phelps will go drunkenly wreck up a Brazilian gas station and piss on the floor in a faster time with a better security camera angle to put him back in his place.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
And then all the street urchins stood up and clapped

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

quote:

“They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground.

“And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.'

"After I got on the ground, the guy pulled his gun out and cocked it, and told me to give him my wallet. I handed over my wallet and my phone. He threw the phone back at me, pulled out his gun, cocked it, and said 'Did I say I wanted your phone??' Then he cocked his gun so I was pretty scared.

Then he took his gun out!"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the shooter's name? Albert Einstein

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Kurtofan posted:

And then all the street urchins stood up and clapped

lol

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
lochte was smart enough to get out of brazil before the heat came down

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Internaut! posted:

lochte was smart enough to get out of brazil before the heat came down

"Hey, mom! They found my wallet, they bought me a ticket to Rio to pick it up!"

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
america has the largest military in the world so if we want to poo poo and piss all over people in foreign countries theres notheing they can do about it

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Yaldabaoth posted:

america has the largest most advanced military in the world so if we want to poo poo and piss all over people in foreign countries theres notheing they can do about it

China has us beat in manpower by about a million, and has a much greater pool of draft resources.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Yaldabaoth posted:

america has the largest military in the world so if we want to poo poo and piss all over people in foreign countries theres notheing they can do about it

rmebmer ben ghazi

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Yaldabaoth posted:

now i've got a reason to vote for trump :smugdon:

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

wa27 posted:

This quote is absolutely hilarious now that we know he made it up:

Yeah, make your buddies lie for you and then call them pussies and pretend you are the toughest guy in the world.

For me the weakest part of his story is the "cocking the gun" part. I didn't bring up before because it's kinda TFR (it's not a clip, it's a magazine!)

He said the cop pulled the gun and then cocked it when Lochte was uncooperative. The reason this sounds sketchy is that this p much only happens in movies. Guns being racked and cocked only happens in movies for dramatic effect. In the real world, a gun is racked (a round put in the chamber) before you start your shift, and most cop guns are at least partly double-action (yay more TFR lingo) and don't need to be cocked before firing. Cocking/racking right before firing means you weren't prepared.

Old timey revolvers were single-action, so in Hollywood westerns cocking the gun before firing was actually necessary. They only do it in modern movies because it looks and sounds cool and threatening. It's possible a cop/robber knows that cocking/racking is an attenion-getter, and they might do it precisely as a show of force, but idk because i'm not a cop or robber.

tl;dr the "cocking the gun" part of Lochte's story sounds like stdh that he made up from watching too many movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lochte and his pals broke a door, and some guards came up, pulled out their guns, and made them pay for the door. Technically that's robbery because they should have had to go to small-claims court in order to pay for the door.

• Locked thread